Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too buff, or not to buff, and the Rubi-Ka Economy

You tip hillarious sums yourself, Herodotus. I remember the first nano I made for you. I wanted payment for it, because I had to change implants and had to find a trader to buff me.

In the end, you found the trader for me and paid me three times my asking price. That's something I'll never forget. And now you have my services for free. I hope you know that.

Jayhawk

Being a level 81 trader, I haven't got the big wrangle yet. But I get requests for wrangles. I do then when I have the time, and usually will appreciate a tip. If no tip, I'll just glare at the char on my screen and usually forget about it. I'd never charge guildmates, teammates or other friends.

If I should need money and go to Tir Grid to advertise my services, I guess I would go with set prices. No use to drain those poor leets in the BY for no money when money is the goal.

My main Gattolina the NT will hand out HE to anyone asking, free of charge.

Kirkiri
    Kirikiri - Trader
    General, Depot Division
    Ancarim Iron Legion
    Gattolina - NT
    Ancarim Iron Legion

( Thats another point, I wonder if Funcom can make a character transfer system ? save us loggin' in and out all the time ? That's another topic right there ).
    it would be great if they added a personal item transfer terminal also... it would be kinda like a simple 6 spot bank that all your toons can access.... it would read off your account only and allow you to put items & credits in , you log, log in an alt, get items & creds... would help out alot for thoes who have no close trusted friends playing this game...
    JapellaZ
    Bureaucrat

'If you think you finally found the perfect light... i hope it's true' -Belly

with doc i never charge for buffs and i buff clan and omni

trader i do clan only and i have to be in a good mood

I heard a funny story once...

A group containing a Doctor and a Trader get into a high-ql mission. After buffing up a little, the Doctor asks the Trader for a wrangle, so he can get <insert uber gun> on. Let's just say it boosts nanoskills needed for healing. (This is a fantasy story, folks :P)The greedy trader replies "Ok, but it'll cost you 100k." The Doc is a little miffed- the Trader is his TEAMMATE!- but they go ahead into the mission.

Lo and behold, ten minutes later, the Trader pulls a rollerrat and is about to die! The Trader frantically screams "HEALHEALHEAL!!!!!" As his health reaches 0 and he dies, still spamming his heal macro, the Doctor says "Ok, I'll heal you- but it'll cost you 100k and a wrangle. I can't heal."

BUFF YOUR TEAMMATES!
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Originally posted by Jayhawk
    You tip hillarious sums yourself, Herodotus.....
    shusssh! :-)

Originally posted by Japella

it would be great if they added a personal item transfer terminal also... it would be kinda like a simple 6 spot bank that all your toons can access.... it would read off your account only and allow you to put items & credits in , you log, log in an alt, get items & creds... would help out alot for thoes who have no close trusted friends playing this game...
    i dont think they intend for players to be able to transfer items between your chars

dont see why though, keeps people playing longer

Originally posted by Kavanagh
    Hehe... I do that a lot too.. Get a few "you a mindreader?" replys

K.
    LOL!
    I love it when I buff someone one second before receiving a tell asking for my best essence, then shortly followed by a lol.

btw Kav, haven't seen you around ingame, lately....

Maybe I'm online at the wrong times of day....

Originally posted by MissMaul
    I heard a funny story once...

A group containing a Doctor and a Trader get into a high-ql mission. After buffing up a little, the Doctor asks the Trader for a wrangle, so he can get <insert uber gun> on. Let's just say it boosts nanoskills needed for healing. (This is a fantasy story, folks :P)The greedy trader replies "Ok, but it'll cost you 100k." The Doc is a little miffed- the Trader is his TEAMMATE!- but they go ahead into the mission.

Lo and behold, ten minutes later, the Trader pulls a rollerrat and is about to die! The Trader frantically screams "HEALHEALHEAL!!!!!" As his health reaches 0 and he dies, still spamming his heal macro, the Doctor says "Ok, I'll heal you- but it'll cost you 100k and a wrangle. I can't heal."

BUFF YOUR TEAMMATES!
    yep. When teaming, buffs should flow freely. Nomatterwhat!
    Don't think I've teamed with people demanding money for buffs, though. I think /and hope) that anyone doing that will be kicked from the team ASAP

Asheron's Call has evolved an interesting solution to the problem of buffing... players have written macros that perform all buffing automatically.

You stand in front of a "buff-bot" which is a toon that is good at casting buffs (a mage with the right schools trained) and ask for a bunch of buffs... it will then cast them all on your toon. The buff bot software understands your requests and casts buffs.

Some of these bots charge for their services, but the majority of them are provided as a guild service. High level players in the guild tend to supply the bot with anything it needs to keep casting.

Of course, in AC a single toon can cast ALL the buffs, very different to AO where most buffs are spread throughout the professions.

This has lead to less buff begging, but newbies expect complete high level buffs at all times when hunting. And because it's a machine buffing them, they sometimes get buffs, sit around chatting letting them expire, and forget to even use them. Anyone manually buffing them is barely thanked, because they rarely do as good a job as a machine.

Originally posted by Skybert

yep. When teaming, buffs should flow freely. Nomatterwhat!
    Don't think I've teamed with people demanding money for buffs, though. I think /and hope) that anyone doing that will be kicked from the team ASAP
    I have...a few weeks ago I was playing one of my lowbe alts.
    Joined a team, with doc, and got a mission...deep sown in G-Omni Forest. So after running for a looong time we arrived at mission, but while buffing up in first room the doc says: "Well, just so you know. You need to pay me if you want to be healed, healing costs money." ...goodbye

Wish that I had replied: "Well, I charge 100 creds pr round I fire. Shooting costs money." :P

Dont remember name of doc...wish I did
    Animoy - Lvl 220 Soldier on Rk-1 - General of Legion
    Athillon - Lvl 162 Engineer on Rk-1 - Member of Legion - Nerf Engi button in creation room - Sleeping

Going against the tide of opinion here a bit but I would actually prefer it if people did start charging uniform prices at the "hawk your wares" areas such as BB and FT.

The point of these places is to make money buffing. If you want to waste your time hassling people for free buffs go ahead. But if you want to go somewhere where you can guarantee getting a buff at a low upfront price - even better.

If people hawk their prices along with their buffs instead of feeling they might get mobbed by the "OH I NEVER CHARGE FOR A BUFF" fraternity, the prices themselves will drop.

How can I charge 100k for a +80 when the guy next door is doing it for 50k.

The lower the price drops the more willing people will be to go get buffed as a service and the more the buffers will make. Why hasstle a guildy when I know the guy in the market will do it for a very reasonable price.

I always wonder whether I'm over tipping when I pay 100k a plant or whether I'm giving a paltry amount. I've had people tip me insulting amounts in the past.

Time and tide what for no man, and no man is an island.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12