Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: April 2012

Wait? What? The report's up already?!? Am I on the right forum? Only 24 hours late, filled with info, fascinating links everywhere, prompt answers to questions? Are you really the Funcom AO Forum or are you a phishing site? Ms L, you are far too competent for this job. The trolls will scream about having nothing to scream about. I approve.
    Last edited by Cogline; May 2nd, 2012 at 01:56:55. Reason: Posting from a phone with predictive text is easier when you put your reading glasses on.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

cool ima roll a froob for the new player experience when its out
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Good to see you acknowledging that games are meant to be fun.

When are engineer buff req and durations going to be changed?
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    When are engineer buff req and durations going to be changed?
    And not just buff reqs and durations, when are our pets going to get lower reqs, since Shadowgod went and said back in the day that we get lower reqs on them after everyone else gets pets with no timers? Which is, well, about to happen! So much for permanent pets being an "engineer specialty", eh?

Would make the life of my poor old SL only Engineer sooooooo much easier.
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    Good to see you acknowledging that games are meant to be fun.
    Actually there's been rather a lot of talk recently in the gaming media about how "but games must be fun!" is what's ruining the idea of using games as a medium of more serious storytelling and interaction experience.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Yeah well AOs story is dead, meanwhile I still have to swap every 5 minutes to buff.

Also the only gaming media I view is thebestgamers.

Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Actually there's been rather a lot of talk recently in the gaming media about how "but games must be fun!" is what's ruining the idea of using games as a medium of more serious storytelling and interaction experience.
    You mean bland market-research-defined decided-by-committee conceptions of "fun" are ruining the idea of using games for other things

It doesn't make that an excuse for unplayable counterintuitive monstrosities of UIs/tutorials/controls/requirements that 10-year-old games have. I remember the last time I played fallout2 the interface was so ridiculously clumsy I uninstalled it within 30 minutes... AO's starting experience no longer works because others have set the bar for gaming interface so much higher while the new additions across its 10 years of existence have made it so much more newuser-unfriendly.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    You mean bland market-research-defined decided-by-committee conceptions of "fun" are ruining the idea of using games for other things

It doesn't make that an excuse for unplayable counterintuitive monstrosities of UIs/tutorials/controls/requirements that 10-year-old games have. I remember the last time I played fallout2 the interface was so ridiculously clumsy I uninstalled it within 30 minutes... AO's starting experience no longer works because others have set the bar for gaming interface so much higher while the new additions across its 10 years of existence have made it so much more newuser-unfriendly.
    No, I don't mean that at all. I mean fun in the real sense of the word, like Super Mario fun.

Who ever said anything about it being an excuse for anything? It's a genuine concern that "fun" is ruining games as a medium. Does it relate to AO? Possibly in some areas as the game is broad. In other areas it certainly could be more fun.

It was the grand statement that ALL GAMES ARE MEANT TO BE FUN that I was commenting on. Nothing about AO in particular.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Game don't need to be fun, but enjoyable and entertaining. I spend my free time playing, so can't I expect to get something out of it?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Game don't need to be fun, but enjoyable and entertaining. I spend my free time playing, so can't I expect to get something out of it?
    Indeed, but "fun" and "enjoyable" are two very different concepts. They are related, but because something is enjoyable it does not have to be fun.
    The Red Brotherhood

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mawerick View Post
    Nice update

That concept art piece posted yesterday inspired me to fire up blender again...

Result: http://family.wrongplace.net/gallery..._10_52_01.jpeg
    Wow, nice piece of work.

/impressed
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

That would be valid if they didn't make mp/crat pets permanent and remove arid towers.

A lot of what they are doing is focused on making this game enjoyable to play. Asking for one of the most irritating aspects to be changed is hardly uncalled for.

your an idiot

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Marijke View Post
    Danke schön!!

You beat me to it. As mentioned before, Waldgeist is on a well deserved vacation this week and there was some hickup with getting the text ready for translation. Sorry about that and again THANKS to Marijke for the translation!

Nice sounding changes
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Funcom employee

Exciting stuff! Go AO Team Go!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

first!! Right in behind Means! whooho....Oh wait
    Varsbot
    Variable004

So, rebalance? Any words?
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    So, rebalance? Any words?
    several, even ...

The Systems Changes
    After doing some internal testing, we decided to disable Damage Modifiers from affecting Damage Over Time-Nanos for now, although we believe it's a really good way for caster professions to be able to increase their damage output in the future, so it's our intention to bring this feature in at a later stage.

In May we're going in depth on Research Procs, Perk Actions and Special Attacks, and I feel there is things we can do here to improve accessibility and balance, without removing complexity!
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

On the subject of fun, me (gimp-ish fixer) and a friend (gimpish-trader-gimped-even-more-by-current-testlive-patch) did an RK mish yesterday which was seat-of-the-pants stuff, rooting, snaring, kiting... and it was a blast and only 1 death!

Fun is a very subjective term, but I find situations in games which are just possible in no more the most fun. This is clearly a very fine line, and not even a practicable one in a game with such a wide variation in player power even at the same level as AO, but it's the sort of sweet spot any MMO should be aiming for I feel.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Variable View Post
    first!! Right in behind Means! whooho....Oh wait
    This made me giggle.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast