Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Omegahealer: Instead of seeing it from the negative side, try see it from the positive side. Just because they are brining a server merge doesn't necessarily mean the game's dead. They are just giving us a favor, having more to do, meet new faces. The whole reason why we play AO is to actually play it, right? You are not forced to play, go ahead and quit when the server merge gets implemented. I for the other hand will re-activate, meet new faces, and get that whole AO feeling again.

How many new/old players that will return with the giving engine and rebalance is hard to say.
    If the servers were to be overpopulated, would be fun and a sad thing in both ways. Fun for the more pvp'ing going on, sad for the more camped mobs and prices of stuff going up alot.
    They will probably take a new server into mind if this scenario becomes reality and stays permanent for a long time.

Thank you Lindelu for posting this, I'm all excited now and I can't wait to see the video in the upcomming days!
    Yeah i agree man.
    OMNI-TEK

New startup experience is desperately needed. Be glad to see tangible results of all the work you guys are doing.... though one thing concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    [prose]
    Currently some professions have very strong, unique roles, while others have to rely solely on DPS, and we're looking at the fundamentals of each profession's primary and secondary role. As part of our vision, we're extending the usability of your tools to allow you to be more efficient in your role and depend less on just attack rating.
    I read that as: Engineers are getting the unholy hell nerfed out of their damage. Since just about every other prof ingame has something useful besides/in addition to dps to bring to a team, (even shades can do emergency healing with shades caress now) and being that ac's are worthless and solds have better reflects than engineers, that's about the only prof that applies too. Possibly metas as well though they do have light heals and crowd control with their secondary pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Ranged professions enjoy a significant advantage everywhere and more so against pet professions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Note: Calling me an "incompetant ass-monkey", while admitedly is extremely amusing, does nothing to quantify what exactly, if anything, you would like to see changed in your/someone else's nanos.

Much adoo about...

Ok, so, give video and all is grand! Please
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

I'm impressed. I'm also happy that you confirmed my su****ions of how a merger would happen, on a completely new server, RK1&2 migrating together is ftw.

if I might suggest a name for the new server (i read it somewhere, I think, so may be someone elses idea) "RK Nova" if so, props to them, it's a cool, and proper name for a new server imo
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

sorry, but poor for me!
    Proud member of Czech Anarchy http://ao.pat.cz

Paja - soldier - 220/30 Equip || Pajatrader - trader - 220/30 Equip || Koprak - keeper - 220/30 Equip || Pajja - doctor - 220/30 Equip

Ok,

So here's my 2 pence.. (it england that means "my say")

I've just reactivated this week because every other MMO that i've played recently lacks content or interesting and manipulative content. AO has always been the most variable MMO in regards to the way you can distribute IP. (In plain speak you can play a trader and be an martial artist, that kinda stuff).

But...

All these sugar coated updates are NOT getting the problem solved.

The graphics engine has been way too long coming and personally i think unless this game looks as good as Aion then you may aswell shut up shop.

I can't believe 10 years down the line you are all talking about balances and server merges when clearly the graphics engine is the biggest thing.

The content the AO team has provided since release has been phenomenal, i think everyone that has paid at least 1 year of subscription will appreciate the hard work that has gone into it.

But now its time to use our money to pay us back with a new GFX engine that really blows our faces off and doesn't just make grass look pretty. As others have mentioned a full release of AO2 would probably be the best idea. Make it look as mental as some of these Korean games that are coming out with the same original content and you have a winner and without doubt a massive player base returning.

I hasten to add that i'm not flaming or whining but its just my oppinion that i feel many share.

T x
    Tilkh :: 220 Soldier

Solabeat :: 218 Meta

Est. March 02

Quote Originally Posted by Farlath View Post
    I read that as: Engineers are getting the unholy hell nerfed out of their damage. Since just about every other prof ingame has something useful besides/in addition to dps to bring to a team, (even shades can do emergency healing with shades caress now) and being that ac's are worthless and solds have better reflects than engineers, that's about the only prof that applies too. Possibly metas as well though they do have light heals and crowd control with their secondary pets.
    I have the same fears, but at least right now, there isn't much in the docs to suggest our damage is getting directly nerfed. It seems like we'll have some options as far as pushing dmg vs using the top tiers of the new tools. whatever those will be.

Sadly, though, we're pretty much getting screwed on everything else.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Feb 29th, 2012 at 21:31:23.
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by Frubaliscious View Post
    I'm impressed. I'm also happy that you confirmed my su****ions of how a merger would happen, on a completely new server, RK1&2 migrating together is ftw.
    {removed by Anarrina}

To me, even considering a server merge BEFORE the engine and other updates basically gives the message that the dev's have tossed the towel already. They don't believe in the engine ever coming or (if it actually does) bringing in new people enough to sustain even two servers.

It's not fun to play on empty servers, but if they really feel they need to merge servers, it's already only delaying the inevitable. But like always, FC is keen to use band-aid fixes and in the process multiply the severeness of the original issue by 4 or something.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 29th, 2012 at 21:52:03.
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

I don't get how people see the graphics update as the most pressing concern before us. Yes, it was the -first- promise, but that doesn't make it most important.

We need a new start up area. The current one is insufficient when it comes to introducing someone to Rubi-Ka. Anarchy Online is different from other games, it's bigger, and a little more complex. As it stands now, players are given a basic overview of how to raise skills, how to equip weapons, and how to cast nanos. They aren't taught anything about implants, about where to buy new nanos, about how to acquire new weapons that will make them "as good as the others." They're just thrown from Newb Island to the world at large, and expected to find everything out on there own. Yes, a level of freedom is nice. Yes, staying away from hand-holding is good. But is "The Subway is a good place to level" so bad? Is teaching someone WHAT A MISSION TERMINAL IS FOR too much hand-holding? (I apologize if there is a readily apparent 'how to mission terminal', I've never encountered it.) How about introducing people to the Temple of Three Winds with a "You did well in the subway, there's a cult north of Tir." It tells you that this exists, but if you already know about Daily Missions and Mission Terminals from early levels, you know it's just an option.

And the Rebalance is huge. No one can honestly say that the game, as it stands, is balanced. Nobody wants to feel like they're second tier because they didn't pick a 'lovechild' class, or some such. I understand that with the variety AO has, and the options available to everyone, there will be less powerful builds. An SMG Enforcer is not going to be all that great, no. But each class should be able to bring -something- to the table, instead of there being certain professions that just have one hell of a time finding teams because nobody needs their less-powerful skill set.

The graphics engine will be great to bring new blood into the game. It'll open it up to a whole slew of players who, in my opinion unfairly, decide their enjoyment of a game based on the graphics. Even with it's dated style, I'd be perfectly happy if AO never got updated graphically. I don't think it needs it, it's got beautiful landscapes as it is. The new engine will improve everything, however, and I'm not going to try to stand in anyone's way of it coming.

But do you really think we need pretty pictures before we have an improved game? Do you want to push this graphics engine so that "All the new players will fill the servers" before we bring the game to it's new, improved potential? So it is a more enticing game once they get past the "oooh shiny"? Or do you want them to jump into what we currently have, a bit of a mess of a game, and then be put off when after a few months of playing, everything suddenly changes on them. "Oh, wait, I have to relearn everything I just did? Screw that, I'm going back to WoW/Rifts/Swtor/Runescape."

That's my two cents, pence, creds, or whatever. That's my view on what the game needs. An easier to access, more structured system, and then we can draw the crowds in with brand spanking new graphics.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpynoob View Post
    I have questions:

What is better? 10AC, 3aad or 5 evades?
    How can I equip a toon decently while leveling without having a main to farm creds and gear for it?
    Will PvP continue to be an activity reserved for a few who can afford to buy levels and phats to make optimized twinks or can everybody jump in and have some fun?

If good answers to my questions are not put in game very soon then none of these rebalancings, new engines or whatevers are going to make a difference. Promise.
    Good questions! The best way to get such questions answered is to ask in the newcomer's forum, or in-game. If you find a guild that specializes in welcoming new players, they can be a great resource. In most cases, you'll want the 5 evades over 10AC or 3aad. PvP is a lot more fun twinked, and that's probably not going to change. The uber-twinks tend to also be the most experienced, skilled PvPers, and no new player is going to stand a chance unfortunately. However, there are still ways to help out if paid - mech up, basically.

As to the how to equip a toon decently while leveling: http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php...ides%2F&pid=45 . Find a friendly fixer to buff you with GSF first - it's a lot of running. This mission sequence is tedious, time consuming, produces a product with high in-game market value (the basic armor is need to make alien armor), and is by far the best way for a new player to make money. Farm a complete set of basic armor (not including the back piece, which is useless), use the shopping channel to offer it and you should at minimum get 10m for the set - usually more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    Or do you want them to jump into what we currently have, a bit of a mess of a game, and then be put off when after a few months of playing, everything suddenly changes on them. "Oh, wait, I have to relearn everything I just did? Screw that, I'm going back to WoW/Rifts/Swtor/Runescape."
    I'm quite certain that if we are required to re-learn everything after the rebalance, a lot of the remaining veterans will find it extremely annoying too, and leave.

Personally, if i have to learn everything from scratch, i'd rather do it on another game.
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA

its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    Good questions! The best way to get such questions answered is to ask in the newcomer's forum, or in-game. If you find a guild that specializes in welcoming new players, they can be a great resource. In most cases, you'll want the 5 evades over 10AC or 3aad. PvP is a lot more fun twinked, and that's probably not going to change. The uber-twinks tend to also be the most experienced, skilled PvPers, and no new player is going to stand a chance unfortunately. However, there are still ways to help out if paid - mech up, basically.

As to the how to equip a toon decently while leveling: http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php...ides%2F&pid=45 . Find a friendly fixer to buff you with GSF first - it's a lot of running. This mission sequence is tedious, time consuming, produces a product with high in-game market value (the basic armor is need to make alien armor), and is by far the best way for a new player to make money. Farm a complete set of basic armor (not including the back piece, which is useless), use the shopping channel to offer it and you should at minimum get 10m for the set - usually more.
    I think you just missed his whole point. He mentioned those questions as example of what the game itself should teach to newbies, without alt-tabbing to forums. I'm sure he already knows where to find answers.

But his post was indeed good. No amount of eye candy or rebalance is going to help, if the newbie experience, and the whole leveling experience is not going to improve.

News of the new n00b area sound good though. Can't say if the "a couple of minutes" solo part is going to do any good, but i guess it's better than the current "run to the left" system.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    I'm quite certain that if we are required to re-learn everything after the rebalance, a lot of the remaining veterans will find it extremely annoying too, and leave.

Personally, if i have to learn everything from scratch, i'd rather do it on another game.
    You're right, I doubt it will be that radical. We've seen some preliminary documents, and they gave us a bit of an idea of what to expect. I'll admit to only having read the MP document, and glancing at the Soldier and Keeper ones, so I don't know how different the future is, but it didn't seem terrible.

I was exaggerating a little. But I do think veterans who've seen this coming will take it better than someone who just joined because of a new engine (will a lot of people really come in for new graphics alone?).

I don't get how people see the graphics update as the most pressing concern before us. Yes, it was the -first- promise, but that doesn't make it most important.
    {removed by Anarrina}

Look at the other games out there..

SWTOR

Aion

Rift

Vindictus

Tera

All of those games spit on Anarchy.

Its the most obvious and you have over looked it. If your a developer.... god help us all.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 29th, 2012 at 23:02:56.

Est. March 02

Quote Originally Posted by Tilkh View Post
    A{removed}

Look at the other games out there..

(list)

All of those games spit on Anarchy.

Its the most obvious and you have over looked it. If your a developer.... god help us all.
    Did you not read the rest of my post, where I explained how graphics aren't most important? How there are other things we need to fix up before hand to make the game as good as we can?

Or do you really think pretty pictures are more important than a more enticing and balanced game for those newcomers to play?
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 29th, 2012 at 23:03:28.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpynoob View Post
    I have questions:

What is better? 10AC, 3aad or 5 evades?
    How can I equip a toon decently while leveling without having a main to farm creds and gear for it?
    Will PvP continue to be an activity reserved for a few who can afford to buy levels and phats to make optimized twinks or can everybody jump in and have some fun?

If good answers to my questions are not put in game very soon then none of these rebalancings, new engines or whatevers are going to make a difference. Promise.
    You ask good questions, and we are discussing this as part of both the systems changes and the new start up experience. I could go into more detail but I feel that will be counter efficient right now as we're in the middle of this work. (: But I do appreciate good questions.

Did you not read the rest of my post, where I explained how graphics aren't most important? How there are other things we need to fix up before hand to make the game as good as we can?

Or do you really think pretty pictures are more important than a more enticing and balanced game for those newcomers to play?
    Fortunately, the planned systems changes/new startup experience and the new graphics engine is not mutually exclusive, since different people are working on the different things. All of these things will prolong the life of ao and so it's natural that you disagree what's most valuable.
    Last edited by lindelu; Feb 29th, 2012 at 22:32:53. Reason: bleh I need to raise my skill in forum posting
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

where FC did fail was the point they were telling about SoonTM graphics engine... eyecandy isnt all in all, and what comes to AO graphics now, its pretty good looking to be 10 years old game, no, all those reflections everywhere doesnt really look good, look at the real world, how much does it glow? now everyone is waiting for the graphics update and dont want to resub before, and prolly even when its out, they try it on a froob or something. server merge would do more good (all those big fights at NW once again, YAY!), all the LDing at tara, and pvp too at tara! even bs got some people more to run smoothly at most time zones, so, imo, no to graphics engine!
    Ciassene

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    You ask good questions, and we are discussing this as part of both the systems changes and the new start up experience. I could go into more detail but I feel that will be counter efficient right now as we're in the middle of this work. (: But I do appreciate good questions.
    I have a good question even though it may be a frequent one.

When REALISTICALLY are we going to see a release of the new engine.

In Months, No round about answers just be honest. (please for the sake of every AO player)

Est. March 02

Quote Originally Posted by Tilkh View Post
    {removed}
    I'm not trying to say the graphical update should never come, I'm sorry if that was somehow implied there. I just think it shouldn't be top priority. Get the balance done, a new start-up area for the amazing influx of "A game needs graphics to be good" players, and then bring the new engine out and start marketing.

And they've been putting the money to work on the engine. They (apparently, we've still not seen it) have a new video to share, there was the live walkthrough demo last summer, there is progress. It's just not immediate. But they've also been putting effort into the game itself, so we're not stranded in an unchanging world while they get that done.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 29th, 2012 at 23:05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciassene View Post
    where FC did fail was the point they were telling about SoonTM graphics engine... eyecandy isnt all in all, and what comes to AO graphics now, its pretty good looking to be 10 years old game, no, all those reflections everywhere doesnt really look good, look at the real world, how much does it glow? now everyone is waiting for the graphics update and dont want to resub before, and prolly even when its out, they try it on a froob or something. server merge would do more good (all those big fights at NW once again, YAY!), all the LDing at tara, and pvp too at tara! even bs got some people more to run smoothly at most time zones, so, imo, no to graphics engine!
    I share a similar oppinion mate but im possibly a tad more bitter.

Est. March 02

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast