Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Level Packs

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    The prevalence of powerleveling and the low difficulty of PVM means that there are already plenty of endgame docs that royally suck.
    I blame the person, not the mechanics. Some sort of experience prerequisite before purchasing these backs will help prevent any extra 220 noobs caused by introducing leveling packs. I may not have a 220 doc, but it would only take me a little bit to figure out how to play one. I already know all of the mechanics in AO, docing would not be difficult.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    I may not have a 220 doc, but it would only take me a little bit to figure out how to play one. I already know all of the mechanics in AO, docing would not be difficult.
    Unfortunately people like us seem to be the exceptions to that rule.
    Because Race Yalm

Personally I believe a leveling pack would just be addressing a symptom rather than a problem. Here's why:

- When I started playing AO the population was larger. Everything was more active. There were people all around you and finding a team was not difficult.

- Playing and leveling up one prof in a team environment felt different to another. Therefore there was less "oh god I'm just doing the same thing over and over" because what you were doing on your new alt felt different enough to playing your previously leveled toon that you still had some feeling of novelty.

- The fact that there were many teams around and getting into one wasn't hard added to that sense of novelty because every team is different. You would sometimes get lucky and end up in a good team who knew how to have fun and give you some laughs. Sometimes those memories would even stick with you and make you smile for years to come.

- Now though? Playfields feel empty enough that a lot of people complain they feel like they're soloing their way through the game.

- Particularly for support profs who are arguably designed to work within the dynamic of a team, this need to solo makes everything feel more "same-y" because you're just killing stuff without needing to pay attention to what you should be doing if you were in a team. It gives you one less thing to do.

- Thus, you are left with less to multitask with. And feeling less busy only adds to the "Q-afk" feeling of combat.

- Q-afk is boring. Therefore, combat starts to feel like a grind, because you are just Q-afk'ing over and over again.

- Because teams don't seem to happen any more until TL7, lower level ranges have become a deadzone that people want to get out of as soon as possible, because leaving those deadzones means they can stop Q-afk solo grinding.

- Veterans with established alts start powerleveling their new toons through the deadzones.

- Problem escalates.

- Thus, providing a fast-track way of leaving lower level deadzones through level packs in the shop would only add to the escalation of the problem.

- More productive solution: boost the population to make teaming normally at least as easy as it used to be, so that deadzones don't exist any more.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndra-Corvid View Post
    Hitting the nail on the head
    My 2 cents on how to bring in more players:

- Finish graphics Eengine update
    - Finish noob island overhaul
    - Fix issues with level-appropriate content not being desirable

- Delay The Big Rebalance as it will only drive off more older experienced players that could've been helpful to educate the new ones, and to see if it's even necessary to do to boost the retention rate
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Mar 7th, 2012 at 11:59:24.
    Because Race Yalm

Hmm... the symptom is the boringness of the grind. I think that could actually be viewed as the root problem. Maybe its even why the population is low. So does low population cause boring grinds, or does the boring grind cause low population? Well, we cant just change population. Changes like major suggested would probably help. But perhaps it would be good to fix the game in a way where it doesn't rely on a huge population, yet doesnt eliminate teaming altogether? In other words, If the grind was made fun, we wouldnt be bored, and we possibly wouldn't feel so obligated to skip through the levels. It gets rid of a problem that caused the desire of a level pack. Is the poorly impemented grind a problem? Or a symptom? Or is a symptom a problem? If population directly affects how fun grinding is, then if we make the fun of grinding independent of population, we have solved the problem by fixing the symptom.
    And Many More!

I see no difference between this and what passes for normal leveling on the game already. The game is already flooded with people that have reached endgame without learning to play, so how is this going to make things any worse? It actually might improve things, first by putting some extra $$ in FC's pockets, second by allowing vets that have already leveled multiple toons "the right way" the opportunity to skip the leveling process altogether, perhaps encouraging them to stick around longer.

If you're really, really that paranoid about it, require the account to have at least one 220 toon (or maybe just 201+) before the leveling item can be used.
    Last edited by Polaria; Mar 9th, 2012 at 01:29:40.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    I think the approach makes sense. A vet planning his latest tower twink wasn't going to join a leveling team with new players and froobs anyway. He's got other ways to level and doesn't see much fun in the process. With this system, he gains, FC gains, and no one loses much.
    This is probably the only thing that needs to be said. Honestly vet players are NOT going to be doing ely-ado heckler grinds. It's not going to happen. So those are players you can forget about teaming with anyway through mid lvl content.

Now a suggestion that kinda puts this to bed would be not to sell lvl packs in item store. But make them available in Veteran Items vendor. Problem solved if requires 10-50 vet pts obviously only long term players will be able to utilize them and not new players. No one can complain about that.

Very simple system
    lvl pack 1-49, 5 vet pts req must have sl or ai (pay accounts only have vet pts)
    lvl pack 50-99 10 vet pts req must have sl or ai
    lvl pack 100-149 15 vet pts etc etc.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    This is probably the only thing that needs to be said. Honestly vet players are NOT going to be doing ely-ado heckler grinds. It's not going to happen. So those are players you can forget about teaming with anyway through mid lvl content.

Now a suggestion that kinda puts this to bed would be not to sell lvl packs in item store. But make them available in Veteran Items vendor. Problem solved if requires 10-50 vet pts obviously only long term players will be able to utilize them and not new players. No one can complain about that.

Very simple system
    lvl pack 1-49, 5 vet pts req must have sl or ai (pay accounts only have vet pts)
    lvl pack 50-99 10 vet pts req must have sl or ai
    lvl pack 100-149 15 vet pts etc etc.
    I see your point, but then FC wouldn't make the money that they are looking for since vet points are a reward for longevity. FC is looking for ways to supplement subscription fees and the Item Shop is the only way they have.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Veteran months can be used as a check. For example you cant buy a level pack unless you have 12 veteran months. You would still pay with real money then. Actually I think this might be what psikie was suggesting.
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    Veteran months can be used as a check. For example you cant buy a level pack unless you have 12 veteran months. You would still pay with real money then. Actually I think this might be what psikie was suggesting.
    Not as I read his post about having them in Vet shop for points and that only vets could afford it.

But either way, FC is looking to make money and having requirements based on longevity in the game would be counter-productive to their strategy of making money with in game transactions since it would exclude a percentage of their player base. And if the goal is to increase new players, then it would really lessen the impact of more money since they (new folks) would be excluded.

If the Item Shop keeps the game alive a bit longer, then I really don't have a problem with it. What others buy from the shop or from other toons or is given to them or any other way it is gotten - is the same to me since it really doesnt affect me personally.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I dont think lvl packs should be sold in item store. Keep selling xp stims, or xp items sure, but not lvl packs. A good majority of reasons to not allow a brand new lvl 1 player create a 199 toon on day 1 are kinda common sense as to why that would be bad. Putting them in Vet shop would reward long term players without imbalancing the game. I think it would be a bad idea to allow lvl packs in any form to brand new players on day 1. Those early lvls are the corner stone for learning to play AO without much pressure.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

its not all about money. the devs also want this game to be good
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndra-Corvid View Post
    - When I started playing AO the population was larger. Everything was more active. There were people all around you and finding a team was not difficult.
    It's not a problem with having enough people for a team, it's a problem finding people with the repetoir of their profession The game has become several seperate grinds, not a cohesive experience...mainly due to hecks, le-missions, dailies, kite/ost and very unclever implementation of expansions into the existing game.

So the game has been reduced to to powerleveling (which is bad cause I believe most people wanna play the game and perform the functions of the profession they have together with other people playing other professions), sologrinding, outsidehelp for doing quests, keys, grinding a massive amount of credits to buy your items cause it's no longer produced high quantities due to hecks/dailies, buy lootrights....etc

We have to do 1 session to get XP/Research, another session to get AXP, a third session to get faction, a forth session to get AI-bots, a fifth session to get upgrades to our weapons, a sixth session to get belt-parts...etc...so the issue w getting teams is due to spreading and lack of power in the charracters.

Before they do levelpacks I think they should nerf all XP/AXP-encounters that doesn't produce loot and follow this up with team-dailies that have the old + new lootables converted to them (except uberphatz). This way we can level up together with people and progress in terms of customation/repetoir at the same time...more players with more options than medsuit will be good

Having said all this, I am not all against it...but they really should fix the gaming-experience 2 be more cohesive first, based upon AI, shaddowlands and Rubi-Ka. While they need to ensure there is enough items produced into the world so people can function as their profession at any level, they might also need to re-adjust some encounters like Alapappa to be doable by players in the penumbra level-group...it's 160-190 I guess.

Stuff like that needs to be fixed, then there isn't so much demand for leveling packs...this way levelpacks can be implemented without implementing them for thr wrong reasons

Pre-sl, 1 (one) encounter (rk-missions) gave us tokens, a high amount of nanos/items, credits and xp.

PS
    Another reason for lack of players to do stuff with is things like collector or powerselling in itemshop. Why team w anyone when I can get help, loot all 6 boxes and be done getting my the endgameloot? Why bother with sector42 or Tarasque, or go to BS then?
    Last edited by leetlover; Apr 9th, 2012 at 07:21:37.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456