Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Level Packs

Question Level Packs

Did the idea of level packs get trashed somewhere in the initial plans? In any case here would be my proposal of selling Level Packs where you had to meet level requirements.

Ex.
    Level to 50 Pack - well this one is easy as you just have to be level 1-49
    Level to 100 Pack - min. req. toon is level 50
    Level to 150 Pack - min. req. toon is level 100
    Level to 199 Pack - min. req. toon is level 150

The toon would simply be set to the level of the pack with no research or ai levels done and allocated the appropriate IP.

I guess another requirement would be that this pack would be only be available if you had at least 1 220-toon on the account in the appropriate dimension.

Thanks,
    Guapo
    Guapo - Advisor in Unity of The Rose

No.

Just no.

Selling a bypass to content is NOT the way to go. Regardless of if you have a plethora of 220s or not, what about those who don't? Who will they level with?
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Yes just yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cago30 View Post
    Yes just yes.
    Such a well thought out and planned rebuttal.

How about giving me a damn good reason as to why these packs should be added, that does not include the following statements:

"I've done it before" (And so has everyone else)
    "Not enough people to team" (Have been levelling chars with no issue the past month)

Because aside from those 2 reasons, which have no real standing, there is not a single reason why levels should be buyable with real cash.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    No.

Just no.

Selling a bypass to content is NOT the way to go. Regardless of if you have a plethora of 220s or not, what about those who don't? Who will they level with?
    I felt I had to match your initial insipid post. I no longer can tolerate implied or real hate.

The initial reason I posted this question is that this was brought forth by Funcom awhile back. I'm sorry but I do not remember the date. This tells me that they must have performed some type of market analysis to even bring this up.

A decent example would be to look at Zynga's Allied and Empires model. You can effectively buy advancement with the use of real dollars. If you are not familiar with the game, I estimate a gamer with real money could spend about $250 to get their islands bought and stood up in about a weeks time. In that one week Zynga has just made more than 1 fully paid subscription in AO.

The other game I was going to look at was DC Online. I did not take a deep dive into it but it appears that you can buy powers and items as well.

I realize those are 2 small examples, but the trend in the gaming industry appears to be aimed at the quick advancement type gamers.

I'll leave it up to Funcom to do the deeper dives into these supposed trends but in the meantime I have yet to see where this type of purchases can hurt a gaming company.

Regards,
    Guapo

Also let me make it clear. The level packs need to be expensive. Say $100 for the level 199 pack.

I think that would leave a lot of people still around for teaming.

Also, I would recommend to FC that if this idea was ever implemented, it would HAVE to be after the new engine is released into production.
    Last edited by Cago30; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 15:27:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Cago30 View Post
    Also let me make it clear. The level packs need to be expensive. Say $100 for the level 199 pack.

I think that would leave a lot of people still around for teaming.

Also, I would recommend to FC that if this idea was ever implemented, it would HAVE to be after the new engine is released into production.
    Nobody would ever pay 100$ for a 199 pack, that's just insane. You can level from 1 to 199 in like 2 days easily. Im all for paying for level packs but not for a high amount, just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlonel View Post
    Nobody would ever pay 100$ for a 199 pack, that's just insane. .
    You REALLY dont know that.

The problem that buyable levels solve is the bore of the content. The fun in AO isn't revolved around leveling. Its doing instances, socializing, twinking or pvp. Instead of adding a way to bypass the levels, why not change leveling in a way that we don't want to bypass it?

Dark Ruins imo is a great instance. Balanced for intended level, action doesnt stop, good xp. Ive done it several times and still enjoy it (even if i no longer read everything). Unfortunately this joyful leveling really only gets you 2-10 levels, and the rest will be through unbalanced/annoying quests, and repetitive killing of the same monsters, or dailies(which are awesome).
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

while I loved the idea at first so I didn't have to go through the first 50-100 levels on some profs but then I realized how barren the noob zones would be. TOTW would be impossible to get a team for some memories or azzy which is already difficult outside of the occasional engineer soloing it.

This is a very bad idea to allow players buying levels with cash !!!

I could only agree with "buying levels" with veteran points because number of veteran points depends on how long you play and if you play long enough then you probably have high level characters and know how to play.

So for example if you have lev 220 character you should be able to start new alt and skip first 100 or 150 levels. However new player should never be able to do that no matter how much $ it would cost.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

I forsee level packs needing to be purchased by characters higher than their boost value from the Item Store and being YESDROP initially creating a large market for a new type of "power-leveling service".

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    You REALLY dont know that.

The problem that buyable levels solve is the bore of the content. The fun in AO isn't revolved around leveling. Its doing instances, socializing, twinking or pvp. Instead of adding a way to bypass the levels, why not change leveling in a way that we don't want to bypass it?

Dark Ruins imo is a great instance. Balanced for intended level, action doesnt stop, good xp. Ive done it several times and still enjoy it (even if i no longer read everything). Unfortunately this joyful leveling really only gets you 2-10 levels, and the rest will be through unbalanced/annoying quests, and repetitive killing of the same monsters, or dailies(which are awesome).
    I do know its not worth that kind of money, with the way you can power level to 200 it would be pointless to buy at an inflated price. You can start a new character and level to 199 in like 2 days, its not hard. So if you can level that fast easily why would someone rather pay a ton of money for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    This is a very bad idea to allow players buying levels with cash !!!

I could only agree with "buying levels" with veteran points because number of veteran points depends on how long you play and if you play long enough then you probably have high level characters and know how to play.

So for example if you have lev 220 character you should be able to start new alt and skip first 100 or 150 levels. However new player should never be able to do that no matter how much $ it would cost.
    I agree new players shouldn't buy levels. In my 'proposal' you would only qualify if you had a 220 toon on your account. Maybe as a twist you could say your account had to be active for 1 year-straight.

Talking

I do know its not worth that kind of money, with the way you can power level to 200 it would be pointless to buy at an inflated price. You can start a new character and level to 199 in like 2 days, its not hard. So if you can level that fast easily why would someone rather pay a ton of money for it?
    I hear you on the money. I only threw out $100 to try and match someone slowly leveling a toon from 1-199.

I think your argument about leveling fast in 2 days can also be used to support level packs? If this can be done, why wouldn't Funcom want to cash in on this?

Don't get me wrong i would pay for some level packs, but not 100$ when i can do it easily without it. Now i would pay 100$ for 200-220 pack.

You're exaggerating. 1-199 is doable in 2 days, but its takes a LOT of playing, not your average few hours a night. "Hard" is a vague term and useless for argument. It will either take a lot of time to hit 199 (which in 2 days will be a bore), or a lot of credits (which even then, you would need someone to roll inf for you when you hit 160). Imagine someone with only one account, with a smaller org, and less irl friends who play AO, and someone who makes more money than you. This person would probably consider paying 100$ to become level 199. Cant believe i had to even explain that.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

The level packs were added to the database a little while ago (around 18.4.11 or 18.4.12 I think).

http://www.xyphos.com/ao/aodb.php?se...ost&itemType=0

Guess they just haven't implemented them in the shop yet.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

That would be pretty helpful for building twinks, it's no different then being afk at hecklers with your 10th char.

Of course the req : One 220 char, and since there is no research or AXP there is still grind to do. Plus the equipment.

Perhaps the 199 one is too much.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

no thanks
    nice we
    My englisch is bad. Wenn mit mir streiten willst quatsch mich auf Deutsch zu.
    Mitglied bei Punishment Inc.

Chars
    Drheiko was born on Thu Jun 22 09:20:15 2006 RK1 150 Doc
    Grafheiko was born on Wed May 17 17:17:37 2006 RK1 200 Agent (froob)
    Tilli was born on Tue Nov 14 12:25:47 2006 Rk1 220 Keeper
    Secretagent was born on Thu Oct 26 12:28:57 2006 RK1 220 Agent
    uvm...zu den geburtstagen wünsche ich mir ein 300 supplebot

I am not against level packs. The requirement to purchase them has to be to own a char of at least the level you want to boost to.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast