Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server Merges

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    We all think that it's really cool with outdoor cities and we may come to re-purpose them, but once we're ready to migrate to a new server we're going to disable the outdoor cities.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the removal of Player Cities? Assuming they're not simply RetCon'ed, what do you think would be a good explanation of their sudden and total removal?
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

For me, PCities are nanites assembled, therefore their structure is coherent, orderly and easily replicable, compared to stonecut buildings. The latter I imagine are what FC built cities made of. You can reread my post earlier.

Now the bad part : a virus. Plain and simple, yet uninspired. Some entity found a way to both infect nanites-built buildings and spread all of that in a few hours. Of course the virus could either
    1. instruct the original nanites (that I imagine rebuilds after an alien raid or are just there dormant) to reverse the process without leaving the bluprints/items even existing. (So presidents gets nada.)

2. they actually spread nanites that deconstructs the buildings.

Why can't we rebuild after, if it's simply that?
    -Terrain poisonning?
    -The notum (that is probably necessary to build in the first place) is depleted under each and every city plot?
    -ICC refuses to issue new items/blueprints to exterior installations?
    -some (malevolent) nanites stays there, disabling/reprogramming/preventing any other nanites from (re-)building?

A lot of vocal forum users are QQing because they think Cities were a bad thing for the landscape from day 1. Maybe use that to create a fictious order/guild/corps/whatever not affiliated to any of the 3 factions or ICC (or rather, composed of individuals from the factions) who would effectively apply my suggestion. Because it's too easy to accuse either the Aliens, the Xan or whoever can portal/land to RK.

AFCoLR? (All for the cleaning of the landscapes of Rubi-Ka <-- needs as way cooler name)
    Last edited by Makabey; May 11th, 2012 at 16:51:04. Reason: removed some redundancy

The ICC revoking building rights sounds the most reasonable to me. Perhaps because all those city power sources attract so much alies to terraformed Rubi-Ka. Banning all individual cities to islands somewhere far out the coast of peace seems logical in that situation.

Aliens step up their offensive, cities can't be defended, therefore ICC decided to abandon them. Thus fc can leave ruins of cities all over RK with alien mobs hanging around. The wompahs would still work and same for hq grid term. Players traveling in the world would have to risk alien to get the fast travel benefits.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

I thought the cities were attacked (mostly) because cloaking devices were lowered on the player cities thus allowing them to be targeted. Plus, I would imagine cities like Omni-1, 2 and 3 would generate far more power than an individual City Controller.

If the cities are being removed due to the alien threat, it would have to raise questions regarding our satellites as well. If the aliens are penetrating the orbital defenses with such effectiveness than the Morning Star and Sunset Stations (also power sources) should be at an even higher risk than the cities.

yeah but constantly dropping cloak has allowed the aliens to home in on the player cities.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    Aliens step up their offensive, cities can't be defended, therefore ICC decided to abandon them. Thus fc can leave ruins of cities all over RK with alien mobs hanging around. The wompahs would still work and same for hq grid term. Players traveling in the world would have to risk alien to get the fast travel benefits.
    If FC goes that route, I hope they:

-won't put too many aliens

-they'd be of levels according to surrounding established fauna, maybe even type of aliens according to level ranges. ex: (sorry, can't recall the names) spiders and 2 leggers in Newland, rampants and centaurs in Perpetual Wastelands, etc.

-New Dynas while at it? Loot should be laughable, they'd be scouts/foot soldiers after all. That's where balance vs raids and dailies might be hard.

-FC(GMs)/ARKs would jump on that to create events where one spot gets "an impromptu" alien base with an ICC camp built nearby, people could get there by a special grid point (or obviously, BWing mates). Why? Do we need a reason now? Sudden Notum pocket, because they felt like it, I dunno.

-not all of the cities are the same (some have less ruins) and most have at max 1 teleports spot (where alot of clusters are 3 cities now)

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I thought the cities were attacked (mostly) because cloaking devices were lowered on the player cities thus allowing them to be targeted. Plus, I would imagine cities like Omni-1, 2 and 3 would generate far more power than an individual City Controller.

If the cities are being removed due to the alien threat, it would have to raise questions regarding our satellites as well. If the aliens are penetrating the orbital defenses with such effectiveness than the Morning Star and Sunset Stations (also power sources) should be at an even higher risk than the cities.
    I prefer to think that Omni-Tek and ICC knows what they are doing, having effectively found ways to cloak, disguise and reduce emissions.

Why do citizens have control on cloaks? Why do we get titles for defending? Maybe its because we are encouraged to cause attacks so that we can cull the aliens that are orbiting/patrolling not far. Where the players decide when they do raids, we can pretend that they actually answer a request from ICC to call on the ships just over their city.

Now you'll tell me : all the cities gets "relocated" to the i-Cities. Concentrated efforts/resources, that's what it is for me. Maybe o-cities were an experiment and aliens recorded those spots and attacks them unprovoked. Now ICC found ways to strenghten installations but they costs too much compared to the old ones. As such they force ctizens to use the i-cities because they don't have to provide as much efforts/resources/whatever makes sense.

yeah but constantly dropping cloak has allowed the aliens to home in on the player cities.
    aka "Honeypot"

I'm annoying, I know. -_-

+1

I think this would be a great idea, perhaps minus the grid term, but keep the wompahs. Probably don't even need aliums in these cities, they've totally trashed them so no need to stay there... just let the wildlife run free through them, as per level ranges of wildlife that infest the rest of the zone.

I'd imagine that the amount of power able to be generated from a player city power grid would pale in comparison to what can be generated by the major cities, and orbital stations. This would provide good reasons as to why the aliums were able to only go as far as having total domination of the player cities, and no further.

The relocation of the player cities would hinge around the ability for ICC to better support and augment power delivery to newer cloaking technology that exceeds the aliums ability to penetrate it.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

I would propose a different avenue for destroyed player cities. Design wise would be pockets that look similar to ruins outside athens or the ruins with trash king. Maybe a few whompas but the primary attraction would be zone-level alien dynas. The "boss" would never be a bot dropping general/admiral but perhaps they could drop bio mats or even typed bio mats for that level range.

For added danger or as a side thought some of the areas like the 4holes or artery valley's would still or could still be political zones. So getting to the possible working whompa or farming would be an adventure. Remember the good old meetmedere days of running to the grid through 5% gas.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I never watched much Star Trek.

If the Rimor went out of Phase, while Atlantean and Earth remained in Phase, How would the Rimorian phase have received colonists and ongoing support from Earth and Omni-Prime?

Magnets.

But seriously, we could argue that both 'realities' are being merged together from some unknown outside force.

Like how the Shadowlands had split from the original Rubi-Ka in a way.

.... We could say that a mad leet scientist found a way to merge the two dimensions in response to Omni-Tek's protocol for dealing with the disease infested vermin, and hopes to destroy the hypercorporation once and for all.

What I am wondering is how the faction 'leaders' going to take having significant companions with the same job.
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU will pick up the flag and carry it forward. This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes is up to us.

Means, Game Director (2008-2011)

Anyone have any thoughts on the removal of Player Cities? Assuming they're not simply RetCon'ed, what do you think would be a good explanation of their sudden and total removal?
    IRL when your terrain is needed for an highway or whatever, it is bought from you. You rarely have a word to say on the price and if you refuse you get pressured by cops, construction workers and the general drop of lifestyle around you.

Real life took the best ideas already.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Eminent Domain, at least in the States, has to be proven that the land is being taken for a "Greater Public Good" such as building a highway.

The city plots are so scatter shot over the entirety of the terraformed planet I can't think of a good reason as to why Omni-Tek would buy back all those city plots.

Let's not forget, the issue shouldn't be that the Cities are a problem, because they're simply being "relocated" not banned by the ICC.

If you have thoughts on the 'Greater Good' I'd love to hear them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12