Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some fact checking

The American Revolutionaries were Traitors to the Crown.

The Council of Truth affiliates with the Sentinels and Red Freedom, which have employed terrorist tactics. Therefore, anyone affiliated with the Council of Truth (which is not a recognized governing body on Rubi-Ka) is a terrorist.

This is why the Neutrals can operate outside of the Omni-Tek Machine without being branded enemies.*

*ignore the ridiculous Tarkhan Doctrine.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Jacobi told me red freedom disbanded btw
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    The American Revolutionaries were Traitors to the Crown.
    Let me put it this way for ya. How do you think the Crown felt about the original Tea Party, hrm?

We are accountable for our own history, dude. One person's terrorist is another person's patriot.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by StanimirB View Post
    Well if you are refering to the Unionists, they are not ex-miners at all. They run 4-holes.

This tells you a bit about their leader -- that 'trox as you call him

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT
    I'd been awake over 24 hrs when I wrote that. I knew the vague details, but couldn't remember names right then. And hey, 'that atrox' is sufficiently identifying! Just... not all that polite.
    RK2
    Krishina: Omni Engineer, 100/10

Well, Bubz, there are some fine lines that we need to clarify.

Dumping the tea into the harbor would have been a criminal act. Much the same way Theft and Littering (Illegal Dumping) are criminal activities today.

While all Terrorists are Criminals the inverse is not always true.

And don't get it twisted, I am very proud of our American History, but the American Revolutionaries were not Terrorists, they were Rebels.

In case semantics begin to get in the way:

Terrorists attack to inflict indiscriminate harm.

Rebels attack uniformed armies or governments.

---

We also need to recognize that unlike in America, Omni-Tek owned the planet (via lease), all of the facilities, houses, equipment and all 'Clans' were Employees of the Corporation.

If you do not like your working conditions IRL you simply cannot rebel in your workplace and claim to seize ownership of everything within the walls. The Expectation would be that if you do not like it, you can leave (Regardless of how long you have worked there).

The same applies to Rubi-Ka. The Clans could have left if they didn't like it. They instead choose to take up arms. Like the #Occupy movement, they used numbers to overwhelm 'The Man' and setup their Tent City (Council of Truth) which eventually blew over (Annulling the Tir Accord).

The Clans today are simply bitterly clinging to an ideal they cannot hope to hold onto. This breeds hatred (Sents and Red Freedom) which gravitate toward acts of Terrorism (not Acts of War). By the Clan Pseudo-government not immediately ejecting and punishing those responsible they show sympathy and anyone who sympathizes with terrorists will be painted with the broad brush.

You and I will disagree, which is good, because without people who are deeply entrenched the game's politics would never work. It's just a shame ARK destroyed the whole idea of Inter-Factional Politics :-\

I suppose it also warrants underscoring that since the Original Council of Truth collapsed, the modern Clans really can't claim Rebel status anymore since they have already removed themselves from the system they rebelled against.

I think we can let the old bag of Red Freedom go. Few years ago I had a chat with an ARK and was told that plotline has hit a significant issue and until that's resolved it's not likely to continue.

And by discriminate do you mean against one particular class or creed? Because that's the same definition as genocide. In which case, both sides technically are faulted for that, but only mostly by association. Also I'd like to point out, that history back then did not have a relationship with the word terrorism as we know it today. Dressing up as natives and forcefully entering mercantile vessels, while dumping its passengers and contents would easily be called an act of terrorism today. Its not any different then 5 guys dressing up in masks and robbing a bank at gunpoint. Fear is the element necessary to make a point of terror. Imagine the poor individual who was just swabbing the deck, only to get tossed over the side by a guy trying to hide his identity, carrying an axe. Even the word terrorism, as we understand it today, is also a buzz word not only used by our government, but our media as well - to strike the hearts of readers to polarize the outcome. Back then, men with guns walked the streets at night so people could feel safe. Nowadays if you saw 5 guys walking the streets at night, you're likely to call the police.

Its sad that the way the situation had balanced is that one bad apple spoils the entire thing. In a moderate political system, a warlord like Simon would never have as much power as he could. In a feudal system he'd be much better suited to be on top of everything, but then why bother catering a council standard? Simon was never known to be very hospitable towards that sort of thing.

I suppose I can relent fundamentally on the criminal v terrorist argument, but realize the fine line of that statement is easily altered by the intent of anyone reporting the incident in the mass media. But, they are quick to use the word. I am actually waiting out the time that the american media starts pointing the terrorist word at local militia groups or other more 'rebellious' elements when it starts to be convenient for them.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    One person's terrorist is another person's patriot.
    not to be pedantic or take away from what you're saying, but i believe the actual quote was "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"

I think we can let the old bag of Red Freedom go. Few years ago I had a chat with an ARK and was told that plotline has hit a significant issue and until that's resolved it's not likely to continue.
    It's a difficult topic to juggle, but it needs to sit on the table, even if it is off to the side. The same way OT will have to deal with whatever the repercussions of the Tarkhan Doctrine are should ARK/FC decide to actually act upon it.

And by discriminate do you mean against one particular class or creed? Because that's the same definition as genocide. In which case, both sides technically are faulted for that, but only mostly by association. Also I'd like to point out, that history back then did not have a relationship with the word terrorism as we know it today. Dressing up as natives and forcefully entering mercantile vessels, while dumping its passengers and contents would easily be called an act of terrorism today. Its not any different then 5 guys dressing up in masks and robbing a bank at gunpoint. Fear is the element necessary to make a point of terror. Imagine the poor individual who was just swabbing the deck, only to get tossed over the side by a guy trying to hide his identity, carrying an axe. Even the word terrorism, as we understand it today, is also a buzz word not only used by our government, but our media as well - to strike the hearts of readers to polarize the outcome. Back then, men with guns walked the streets at night so people could feel safe. Nowadays if you saw 5 guys walking the streets at night, you're likely to call the police.
    This is true. I don't open carry my firearm because people today are so scared that I'd have the police called on me a dozen times in a single trip to the market. :-\

Its sad that the way the situation had balanced is that one bad apple spoils the entire thing. In a moderate political system, a warlord like Simon would never have as much power as he could. In a feudal system he'd be much better suited to be on top of everything, but then why bother catering a council standard? Simon was never known to be very hospitable towards that sort of thing.
    I completely agree with you. Unfortunately we have to play with the cards we're dealt, regardless of how much sense they make. perfect example, Omni-Tek has to play under the Tarkhan Doctrine, which, whoever made that decision OOC to implement deserves to be bound and have The Gimp sicked upon them.

I suppose I can relent fundamentally on the criminal v terrorist argument, but realize the fine line of that statement is easily altered by the intent of anyone reporting the incident in the mass media. But, they are quick to use the word. I am actually waiting out the time that the american media starts pointing the terrorist word at local militia groups or other more 'rebellious' elements when it starts to be convenient for them.
    I'm pretty sure MSNBC has already labeled me a terrorist

I have a sneaking feeling you are gunna end up mentioned on wikileaks, somehow lol.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Not even a year later...

The civilian massacre probably refers to what happened in Tir:

November 22 29476:

After the abolition of the Tir Accord, the city of Tir experienced a rush of Omni-Tek employees walking freely around the city. The militaristic, proactive clan Sentinels - often branded terrorists - led by Simon Silverstone, ousted the ICC Peacekeepers and took control of the city. Both Omni-Tek employees and neutral citizens were killed on sight by the new guards.

(copied from the old timeline... the same text and some extra in the current one)

Keanne

Also I'd like to point out, that history back then did not have a relationship with the word terrorism as we know it today. Dressing up as natives and forcefully entering mercantile vessels, while dumping its passengers and contents would easily be called an act of terrorism today. Its not any different then 5 guys dressing up in masks and robbing a bank at gunpoint. Fear is the element necessary to make a point of terror. Imagine the poor individual who was just swabbing the deck, only to get tossed over the side by a guy trying to hide his identity, carrying an axe. Even the word terrorism, as we understand it today, is also a buzz word not only used by our government, but our media as well - to strike the hearts of readers to polarize the outcome.
    Funny how the very same city where that event took place is one of the wosrt places about accusing people of being terrorists this century. Recall the ATHF incident...and after that there was the Star Simpson fiasco.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12