Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 18th, 2011 - Agent Document vs 1.2

How successful do you think your time as GM has been, in regards to the active playerbase, loss of a server & the like...Do you feel you're doing a good job & do you think the current levels of players is a sign of how well you're really doing?

From the general tone of the question I'm pretty certain how I think you would judge my time. As the longest sitting Game Director the product has ever had, by far, I do think about this quite often. I am a different case as well in that I am the only person who has ever been charged with fulfilling the Game Director and Producer roles for the product at the same time. Trying to do both of these roles at the same time I would judge as a failure as on many different occasions having to focus on both resulted in one role suffering from lack of attention...there being only so many hours in a 12 hour day. I don't feel that merging the German dimension was a failure of any kind as there had been complaints about population on that server for years before we actually took action to do something about it...though I do understand that people generally see ANY server merge as a negative sign. I'm proud we did what was necessary for the enjoyment of our German players despite how it would possibly be received by anyone else. We have survived more significant unforeseeable disasters than I could possibly mention here during the past three years. I am also sure that the MMORPG market has never been as competitive as it is now..yet the Game itself has remained well ahead of projections. Many MMORPGs have been released in recent years and vanished into thin air. I think we have done a great deal with what we have had to work with but until the engine + rebalance is complete I don't think it can be judged favourably. What I am certain of is that I have done my absolute best during this time and given my heart and soul to this project over the last 8 years. Few of the "big" dreams I'd had for my time in this position have managed to be completed during the past few years but yet we have been more than inhumanly busy the entire time...and not to be unclear on this at all I am extremely proud of what the team has managed to accomplish. I'd like to hope on the day that I move on I will be fondly remembered for the good I've done and the progress we've made...but based on past cases I imagine that is far too much to ask. I am incredibly grateful for the amazing interaction I have had with all of you for the last 8 years...good and bad. I still think Anarchy Online is one of the best games available..and still after 10 years really offers up something truly unique and special to gamers out there who have what it takes
    Means.. You've been an amazing game director. It hasn't been said enough. You have many, many fans here in AO. Your only flaw is that you've set the bar too high and it has taken so long to realize your ultimate goals. Anyone with a moderate amount of foresight should be able to appreciate all of the work you've done for us.. You've put your passion into AO and it shows. {Ignore} anyone who says otherwise IMHO.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Nov 18th, 2011 at 23:35:22. Reason: edited for obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Odov View Post
    Means.. You've been an amazing game director. It hasn't been said enough. You have many, many fans here in AO. Your only flaw is that you've set the bar too high and it has taken so long to realize your ultimate goals. Anyone with a moderate amount of foresight should be able to appreciate all of the work you've done for us.. You've put your passion into AO and it shows. {Ignore} anyone who says otherwise IMHO.
    +1 from meh
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

I agree and thanks for taking the time for the Q&A, well done.

NOW BACK TO WORK!!
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

Quote Originally Posted by Tilli View Post
    plz tell Waldgeist to translate "Answers from FWM November 11th, 2011 Questions" in german forum.
    thanks^^
    or rather pray for better education for german schools.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

The FP-proposals should be an addition to existing FP, not a replacement

Agent is adaptive as an assassin. Very sophistiacted. FP = going under cover, not vicarship. Dislike SP.

Penalties were designed to nerf FP'd abilities, therefore...the docbuff should debuff healmod, no?

Means.. You've been an amazing game director.
    Yeah, is ok.

I didn't get to ask, will it be better swimming and flying-simulations in AO?

The notion that everyone bought their gear with credits is absurd.
    Previously, the content producing gear/repetoir was played. So you still fail addressing this concern!
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Agreed, far to much of what we say is negative, but don't think that does more then hide the true admiration many of us have for you Means.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Something bothers me about that head. I'm not quite sure what.
    Dunno about you, but the thing that bothers me is that it's supposed to be solitus female, but it looks like a 13-15 year old boy...
    Aeliniyah Opifex Doc | Venkula Solitus Doc | Rohtoiivari Trox Doc | Yutheron Solitus Trader Ianamura NM Crat
    Technigyro Trox Enfo | Gizmoplex Trox Keeper | Icarya Opi MA | Vinetto Opifex Shade | Retku Solitus Engineer
    Geraplex Trox Sold | Tuulispaa Opifex Fixer | Wertion Solitus MP | Kemoplex Trox MA
    And a fleet of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    its funny how AO requires so much grinding and effort to make any progress, both ingame and in Development

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliniyah View Post
    Dunno about you, but the thing that bothers me is that it's supposed to be solitus female, but it looks like a 13-15 year old boy...
    You are not alone. Maybe it's just Beiber Syndrome. I dunno.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Nov 19th, 2011 at 04:09:39.
    Because Race Yalm

I did play 5 years this game and iam kinda done with it, have seen almost everything and the new things not interested in.
    Have done all things for too many times.
    These days you can make characters or froob alts for buffing really easy when you dual log and do all daily's every day.
    I did made some froobs who are lvl 150+ that didn't kill much, mostly newbie island mobs and after it some RK mobs and dual logged character did almost all kills very fast.

No fun to do everything 100 times over and over, and no fun to get all research and garden keys and dungeons which i have done too much times.

The things i don't understand is, why building a pvp area in TIR when everyone is doing pvp stuff @grid Borealis.
    Why make a disco in a place where not much players are and too much walking to get inside, why not make a central place where you can step inside the things you want.
    Why not make more dungeons like ToTW and Foremans? Alot of players did maked twinks for these dungeons, because you have inside nice bosses to kill and it is fun stuff.
    These days alot of players are skipping these both dungeons or going solo inside to get the things and go out, because they level so fast that the stuff is not needed and the stuff is too old too bad these days.

Making new and better things is nice for some players, but when you never upgrade RK mobs it will be all easy solo playing.
    And why let mobs drop weapons and stuff that are soo weak when using?
    You can better delete these stuff, it drops and no one loots it or direct shop food.

90% of RK is much too easy when you play with expansions, expansion players did get much too strong vs RK stuff.

Now iam playing the new game The Elder Scroll 5: Skyrim, i think when you play this game you don't want the new engine anymore for AO.
    AO won't get that good grafics as Skyrim, micro detailed grafics.

So when you want to wait 2 or 3 years till AO get new grafics engine, you can better look to this game.
    Then you will see a real engine that is greater then AO ever will get.
    Member of Neutral Organisation: The Roots

Paid account:

Singstar1 = lvl 150 Opifex MA // Singstar2 = lvl 119 Opifex Fixer (Leveling to 220)

frOOb buffing toons:

Toppertje = lvl 178 Atrox Fixer (GA4) // Topper1 = lvl 200 Opifex MP // Topper2 = lvl 100 Solitus Engineer (Warper) // Topper3 = lvl 60 Solitus Adventurer (ToTW) // Topper4 = lvl 165 Nanomage Trader // Topper5 = lvl 112 Atrox Bureaucrat // Topper6 = lvl 121 Nanomage Agent // Topper7 = lvl 147 Nanomage Doctor // Topper8 = lvl 90 Nanomage Nano-Technician // Topper 9 = lvl 42 Atrox Soldier // Topper 10 = lvl 10 Atrox Fixer (lowbie leveling) // Topper 11 = lvl 15 Atrox Enforcer (lowbie leveling) // Topper12 = lvl 24 Atrox Enforcer (lowbie leveling)

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    or rather pray for better education for german schools.
    was not yet time for my school english important
    i`m too old^^
    My englisch is bad. Wenn mit mir streiten willst quatsch mich auf Deutsch zu.
    Mitglied bei Punishment Inc.

Chars
    Drheiko was born on Thu Jun 22 09:20:15 2006 RK1 150 Doc
    Grafheiko was born on Wed May 17 17:17:37 2006 RK1 200 Agent (froob)
    Tilli was born on Tue Nov 14 12:25:47 2006 Rk1 220 Keeper
    Secretagent was born on Thu Oct 26 12:28:57 2006 RK1 220 Agent
    uvm...zu den geburtstagen wünsche ich mir ein 300 supplebot

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiler1 View Post

The things i don't understand is, why building a pvp area in TIR when everyone is doing pvp stuff @grid Borealis.

Now iam playing the new game The Elder Scroll 5: Skyrim, i think when you play this game you don't want the new engine anymore for AO.

So when you want to wait 2 or 3 years till AO get new grafics engine, you can better look to this game.
    Seriously? Borealis was not always where people went for PVP. Tir has been there forever when Borealis wasn't even an option. As for graphics..comparing what AO might get to what Skyrim has is ridiculous.

I have something to pop up, and it makes me concerned a bit. Its nothing new, but I just realized another nail to the coffin. With all dailies missions we are happy to have something intereseting to do: they dont require lots of time, they have nice plot, some different action then anything else and are like mini quests with very good reward. But lately I had many (and I mean like 20 or 30 conversations in org and with friends+random on OOC) discussions about people not willing to do LE missions or RK missions or even hecks at low/mid level, because its time sinking compareing to normal leveling. Players refused to join/sometimes only loged just for sdaily/ because this simple reason: daily is like 10-15 minutes of work and gives whole level/AI level, while you need at least play 1hr (at mid lvl) to gain next level.

I am not after nerfing dailies, nor making RK/LE missions on par with dailies, but adjusting XP for RK mishes/LE mishes (AXP in this case) should be considered, because, what I have learned after 3 weeks of playing and leveling another bunch of toons, everyone happili do those dialies, without giving time for teaming.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

First.
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Players refused to join/sometimes only loged just for sdaily/ because this simple reason: daily is like 10-15 minutes of work and gives whole level/AI level, while you need at least play 1hr (at mid lvl) to gain next level.

I am not after nerfing dailies, nor making RK/LE missions on par with dailies, but adjusting XP for RK mishes/LE mishes (AXP in this case) should be considered, because, what I have learned after 3 weeks of playing and leveling another bunch of toons, everyone happili do those dialies, without giving time for teaming.
    If the xp is adjusted to the point that you need to stay a bit longer to team up to level after a daily then a lot of time would have been wasted making these daily's.

Those people who just log on for 10 minutes is all they have time for... Family, kids, a bank to rob? Who knows. Three kids right here....... 6 years ago I could play 4 hours a night and plan a Saturday to gain one level from 214-215 at Tino's 10 hours later. I am lucky I get 30 minutes a day. Because of these dailies through out the week I can log on for 30 mins a day and knock of a few missions and level. Now I don't find my weekends leveling when I can now farm and tinker with my toon.

However I am disappointed that the grey hecklers will not be fearing until balance is completed with it being so far away. I am sure they have there reasons for this. (shakes fist)

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiler1 View Post

good job at comparing a game that's single player only and the gfx...(which btw imo are still even on ultra). Atleast compare it to Battlefield 3(PC) on ultra where 64 players run around on one huge map if you want to do such a comparison.

Just sounds more that you are trying to give yourself reasons to not return to AO. Enjoy the time you had in the game but don't claim the BS you just said?

on-topic : was a good read the Q&A. No longer feeling bad for resubbing for a year now
    Last edited by Anarrina; Nov 19th, 2011 at 15:41:50. Reason: edited for obscenities
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Head piccy - that hair line is a tad grim - where the hair merges with the forehead. Not going to go look at previous piccys to compare but I have to give that one a c-

220/30 Ranged Advy, Neut 'n proud of it. Moxet
    220/25 NT Moxilla
    220/29 Moxdacrat
    150/14 Doc
    200/18 MP
    various other bits n bobs

Hey Means,
    There is one question from Darkripper I was really interested about your answer, but I havent found it.

1- When are you going to fix the price difference between Euro and US Dollar?

While Americans pay 14.99$ Europeans pay 17.19€.
    17.19 EUR = 23.6401 USD
    14.99 USD = 10.8988 EUR

I really dont see why europeans have to pay more, I mean ok, we look better but that cant be the real reason, so please give us an answer.
    meep

Means, tell the dev's we want a rebalance of the 10 YO existing professions. Not deletion and new profession
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
    Hey Means,
    There is one question from Darkripper I was really interested about your answer, but I havent found it.

1- When are you going to fix the price difference between Euro and US Dollar?

While Americans pay 14.99$ Europeans pay 17.19€.
    17.19 EUR = 23.6401 USD
    14.99 USD = 10.8988 EUR

I really dont see why europeans have to pay more, I mean ok, we look better but that cant be the real reason, so please give us an answer.
    The VAT isn't FC's fault. But the rest if the difference is. If lowering the cost of the game isn'tg an option then at least equalize it so americans pay the same for the same product.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's companies such as Dell and HP consistently made the rest of the world pay more for similar products just to be able to dump prices in the US. So the rest of us got to subsidize cheap products for americans.

Nice!

That practice is now long gone and it shouldn't be employed in AO either simply because it's unfair and that there is absolutely no reason for it to be this way.

You can't blame that disparity on VAT alone, if we take the estimate from above
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
    14.99 USD = 10.8988 EUR
    and add 20% VAT we get to about 13.08 EUR, put this back into USD and we get 17.99. So why are we europeans paying (23.64-17.99) 5.65 USD/4.11 EUR above VAT more than those able to pay in USD?

Never thought there was such a difference till i read these last few posts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast