Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 28th, 2011 - Happy Halloween!

How long will the Halloween festivities last this year?

Can we please get an official word on the earliest that they will be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    After a quick downtime today to restore Lya's armor to outdoor pvp area Uncle Pumpkinheads Halloween seems to be back on track.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

ujdseuhwe je fujkfdkj
    Woah... that last bit was one letter away from Anarrina coming after you!

Last edited by Tazalanche; Oct 28th, 2011 at 17:32:30.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

The content was being ruined by twinks of high level characters training and outdamaging the lowbies. This area was abused systematically and now it has been corrected.

If I remove the disproportionately large credit reward from the area and you say you won't go back there then we know precisely what part of that "lowbie content" was important to you.
    Except I've been trying to level a toon or two to the 150 level to go in and try to get some of that "disproportionately large credit reward". With the abuse that you say was going on (all too easy to believe), maybe I wouldn't have had much luck anyway but I can't help wishing I had had a chance to find out for myself.

I've said all along that one of the biggest impediments to play in AO for new or low-level players is the lack of a viable way to self-finance. It's all well and good to say that one should make basic armour or sell concrete cushions and the like (and I've done all those and more) but those solutions are not, in one sense, a part of the game. They are simply credit transfers from one player to another.

When I first saw the dialogue for the daily missions where we are asked to "state our preferences", I imagined that that this might eventually be a place where we could ask for a mission with different types of rewards offered. For example, I could ask for a daily mission with a credit reward only - no xp, no tokens. The amount might be sufficient that I could do a week of credit missions and have enough to buy a full set of implants for my level. I would LOVE to see something like this implemented.

I am very curious to know just what this will mean when it makes it into the game: "Adding appropriate credit rewards and gear to non-repeatable missions on the leveling path to 220".

Things don't have to cost hundreds of millions to be beyond my financial resources, either. Just buying some of the high level nanos from the Gardens would wipe me out in no time at all if I had to buy more than just a few.

At low levels, give us a way to make a few million, at mid levels, a few tens of millions, and so on upward. I'm not concerned about billions.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    ... but I'm sure Funcom must have petition reports streaming in from S10 incidents on a regular basis...
    If they did, I'm sure they'd have been banning people on a regular basis too.. (Never heard of anyone banned for it though)..

When there's already a mechanic to handle the situation, why would Means go nuclear and kill the whole playfield?

Now since people are already pissed and whining.. how about accidently doing something to address the Ely kite team issue? "Oops, hecks now run from people too high to earn xp from them. We weren't planning that til next year but...."
    Hecklers should run from highbies and should also have a 5% chance to cast a -1000 RS and MC debuff on their current fighting target

EDIT: Model it after the Albtraum horror's debuffs, and call it "Cunning of the HeckNoob"
    Last edited by Kiwifruits; Oct 28th, 2011 at 19:24:07.

ujdseuhwe je fujkfdkj
    Zomg, it's the language of aliumz!

Quote Originally Posted by Random Kyr'Ozch mob, APF
    (15:01) Ensign - Ankari'Sinuh: skjfhka!
    :O
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwifruits View Post
    Hecklers should run from highbies and should also have a 5% chance to cast a -1000 RS and MC debuff on their current fighting target

oh now your talking please Means i beg of you make this happen

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    I laughed so hard lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

that picture sure explains a lot :-P

happy halloween to you all
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

Halloween goods are cool. New instances challenging. Doca's icons rox. But there's less & less people ingame on both servers ...

Any ETA on engine ? Screens look fine but can't figure what fraction it is to RELEASE.
    Thanx for any further infos.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Means, I think you may have partially mis-understood the function of S10 for a new player. It wasn't so much to get equipment for leveling as it was a way to save credits for endgame needs. The climb from spawning on noob island for the first time to adequately equipped to be able to contribute (and get teams) at 220 is very steep. I'm a newer player than many, having played a little shy of 3 years. Without S10 I never would have stuck around - spending a couple of months farming S10 to save credits on the way to 220 was the only viable way I could see of getting a reasonable set of endgame equipment. Loot rights are viewed as evil by many, but for a player lacking the experience and equipment to contribute to endgame content, they are a vital way to narrow the gap with endgame-equipped veterans. I'd have left before hitting TL4 without bounties.

The second best method for new-ish players to earn credits was the basic armor farm, but this change is likely to kill that market. Veterans were willing to offer good prices for basic armor because they could earn more in the time it takes to farm a set. Additionally, S10 twinks were a large driver of demand for basic armor. The combination of these changes is likely to be a big hit to basic armor demand. Alternatively, if many newish players go back to what had been the second best credit farm, supply on basic armor is going to increase. It's tough to see that staying a viable credit farm either.

After this nerf, if a new player asked you how he was supposed to get near to where the veterans are at, what could you tell him? Last week you'd have had an answer: "Farm S10". You might not have liked that answer, but what can you tell that person now?
    Last edited by JustinSane4; Oct 28th, 2011 at 17:49:17.

Well of course the bounties were a big part of s10, as well as the community.
    Having something to loot in the hours between finding a relay was nice.
    Sometimes I would go for a couple hours and walk away empty handed all except for some bounties to make it worth my time.
    I really can't see myself spending much time there anymore sadly it just isn't worth the time now. :/

I think that the approach is wrong. You don't want to start removing rewards without replacing them with anything. Rewards are the very thing that attracts people to content and lack of reward is what causes discouragement.
    Where the reward is not equal to the effort you will find a dead playfield.
    How about increasing the AXP at least to make it worthwhile.

P.S. I really never had an issue with training or kill stealing.
    PPS. bounties weren't the reason for hyper-inflation, just look at the rk2 vs rk1 economy. xD They were a way to afford the perk reset guy and pay city upkeep.
    Last edited by Nanopwner; Oct 28th, 2011 at 18:24:29.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    After this nerf, if a new player asked you how he was supposed to get near to where the veterans are at, what could you tell him? Last week you'd have had an answer: "Farm S10". You might not have liked that answer, but what can you tell that person now?
    I've never suggested that a newbie farm in S10.. I think that's a horrible thing to pass on.. its like someone asking you how to level and you tell them to join a kite team.. wth.

They need money for nanos.. tell them to run missions and shop food everything.. money/xp/credits.. that's a win. They need armor? They can use carb then move on to tier.. and hopefully folks in your org would be willing to help with that as needed (mine does.. it is a MMO after all.. play with others). Weapons? I can't believe my org is the only one in game that has an org bank with weapons for newbies to borrow to level up.. if not, a lot of decent weapons are nodrop lootable in instances like TOTW, SoM, Foreman's, IS... AI drops from mobs in city raids, etc.

The problem I think is the question you're trying to answer. There is no way for someone to walk into this game and get where veterans are at overnight. If someone asked me something ridiculous like that I'd laugh at them. I've been playing 7 1/2 years.. you think you can walk in the game and have full sets of combined, top weapons and symbiants overnight? I don't think so.. and who would want the game to be like that? There's a level of progression and newbies need to understand that.. no you can't get combined but you can get ofab or tier. No you may not be able to get the most expensive symbiants but you can get custom made jobe implants that'll do you just fine. Will they be able to compete with the 4bil twink in battlestations.. NO. But that's OK because they're newbies. They dont' need billions of credits.. they just need to play the game and the content.. stop telling people to buy inferno boots for 40mil.. take them on an excursion to get the parts. Stop letting your orgmates buy shoulderpad lootrights... run the damned instance with them. Those are the problems with the game.. the mentality that you can throw enough creds around and get a super toon.

And Justin this isn't meant to insult you in any way because I don't know you or your full situation but it sounds to me that your biggest obstacle, if you are buying lootrights, is lack of a decent organization. The whole point of orgs is to work together and help its members get the things they need. Somewhere in the mix of this game people have forgotten that... I'm not sure why but that really seems to be the case. If you had an org willing to help you get that endgame gear by teaching you how to do raids and raiding with you then you wouldn't need billions of creds for endgame gear you could just loot it when you won the rolls or whatever org loot assignment process (i.e. need before greed) they use.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Oct 28th, 2011 at 18:14:35.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

This is Cogline's posting bot. The Boss is out at the moment as he's trying to grab a full suit of Lya's armour while he still can. And dying in the process. Please leave your trolling reply after the beep.
    *beep*
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

The recent change just made sec10 another dead zone. No one will kill aliens for hours to get 1 relay per 100-200 alien. What other reasons have people to actually using your content? Without rewards no one will bother. You just killed the only one active content ingame, together with market for symbs/basic armor/mid level leadbots. It's the same as subway, som, totw, biomare, coh, arid, neretva - one time quests and unique nodrop items as rewards make all above one time experience. If anything it's just waste of designers time.
    And so called "Adding appropriate credit rewards and gear to non-repeatable missions on the leveling path to 220 is the correct way to proceed with this issue and it is how we intend to proceed with the problem in the near future" comes when? I guess it will end the same as rebalance, which is prolly on her way to bin.
    RK1: Amickson 220/30 ENG - equip, Aztea 220/30 MA - equip, Adirae 220/30 ENF

I've never suggested that a newbie farm in S10.. I think that's a horrible thing to pass on.. its like someone asking you how to level and you tell them to join a kite team.. wth.
    *snip*
    Pretty much that entire post really. I've put many hours of enjoyable time and effort into my characters, shouldn't other people get the same enjoyment out of doing the same?

From personal experience I've seen
    - Tons of training, some due to newbieness (understandable) and some intentional because people wanted to remove a person from 'their' farming area.
    - KS/ODing... actually this was the reason I stopped going. I know a lot of people in game who took great joy in ODing people around them that were trying to kill in the hopes of running them out of the area. I was even in an org once, that I specifically left, because that type of behavior was their flavor of the month. I don't have statistics on it but I'm sure Funcom must have petition reports streaming in from S10 incidents on a regular basis. Going to stereotype here and say that the 'strong' that were engaging in this ridiculous behavior are probably more likely to be forum posters than the folks that are on the receiving end of the borderline harrassment. So yeah, its very possible you dont' see thread after thread about it because your usual thread starters are probably the problem causers in the first place.

Now personally, none of that would stop me if I wanted to farm there (which I didn't enjoy it due to witnessing said behaviors) beause my MA is wearing good enough gear to handle things.. but really... flagging up in S10.. seriously? Yeah that's newbie friendly when that poor tank mongos for someone to gank them.. NOT.

Good riddance to the S10 bounties.

Now since people are already pissed and whining.. how about accidently doing something to address the Ely kite team issue? "Oops, hecks now run from people too high to earn xp from them. We weren't planning that til next year but...."
    Have to say that the people doing the worst griefing and exploiting are in my experience very unlikely to be forum regulars, because that entails caring about other than your own enjoyment. Asocial and hateful of authority online because the Internet is free and you pay for the game so you should play like you want, and no worries about other players, they're just there to get in the way.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

It is kind of weird to see that the only way people seem to get endgame gear is by buying it. Weird.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

The problem I think is the question you're trying to answer. There is no way for someone to walk into this game and get where veterans are at overnight.

And Justin this isn't meant to insult you in any way because I don't know you or your full situation but it sounds to me that your biggest obstacle, if you are buying lootrights, is lack of a decent organization. The whole point of orgs is to work together and help its members get the things they need. Somewhere in the mix of this game people have forgotten that... I'm not sure why but that really seems to be the case. If you had an org willing to help you get that endgame gear by teaching you how to do raids and raiding with you then you wouldn't need billions of creds for endgame gear you could just loot it when you won the rolls or whatever org loot assignment process (i.e. need before greed) they use.
    First, I never said "overnight". But there should be a forseeable method by which a new player could put work in and get a viable endgame toon out. S10 was such a method.

As to the org question: I farmed S10 at a time when I was not a member of an org, and planned for getting to a reasonable equipment level independently. I have since joined one and they are great, and have helped me tremendously. Most of what I know of endgame play I've learned from them. However I didn't want to ask them to carry me or do content that won't help them if I can be at least somewhat self sufficient. I just didn't feel comfortable imposing too much on friends, particularly when it would be some time before I'd be able to be helpful myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    It is kind of weird to see that the only way people seem to get endgame gear is by buying it. Weird.
    Last night on neutnet I saw someone WTBing practically every piece of gear and lootright to set up a 220 MP. Made me laugh.

First, I never said "overnight". But there should be a forseeable method by which a new player could put work in and get a viable endgame toon out. S10 was such a method.
    I guess I challenge the thought that you have to buy endgame items from someone else that did the content (I mean if you're buying it from someone.. they did the content.. why can't you?).

As to the org question: I farmed S10 at a time when I was not a member of an org, and planned for getting to a reasonable equipment level independently. I have since joined one and they are great, and have helped me tremendously. Most of what I know of endgame play I've learned from them. However I didn't want to ask them to carry me or do content that won't help them if I can be at least somewhat self sufficient. I just didn't feel comfortable imposing too much on friends, particularly when it would be some time before I'd be able to be helpful myself.
    Maybe its my old-fashioned view of things but I don't see playing the game with my orgmates as them imposing on me. I level alts regularly and have toons in all stages of repair/disrepair. When someone's ready for ado brain quest.. I grab an alt and do it too. When someone needs Xan Pen quest or Alappa.. I grab the toon i have in that range and go with them. Sure there are times when any or all of the TL7's in my org do things they don't need.. but to think that people in my org.. my friends.. are some sort of burden... that's crazy talk. I enjoy watching newbies learn. I love when someone hasn't done something before and they are amazed by what they see in game. Those are good times and hey, if nothing else, I get to show off a bit for the newbies so they can see how uber I am (j/k but you know what I mean) This is all relating to my point that people have lost sight of the fun of playing the game. When running an instance or a raid with orgmates (not even talking about public or pick-up teams) feels like a burden then it might be time to go do something else.

The key is organization. No, I'm not running ado brain quest every other day. Heck, I won't even do a SoM run that often. BUt if you organize your organization and plan things, you can knock out things for multiple people at once and have fun times in the process. Nothing says epic fail to me usually like a 4 hour pande raid but I can tell you that I did one with my org. They didn't know what they were doing and we wiped I dunno how many times... Was I annoyed or angry? No. Things like that teach people how to play.. what not to do.. how to pay attention to RL orders, etc. Fun times...
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast