Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 21st, 2011 - Canyon view

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    It's not a replacement position, just looking for someone new for the team. =)
    Then why have not included it in the initial FWM? It's good news and certainly belongs there and far more ppl read that 1st post then troll this deep into the responses or even notice what their game login happens to say (especially if the posting uses about the same amount of text as was previously displayed in the login screen).

Last edited by Dagget; Oct 24th, 2011 at 13:28:17.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Funcom employee

Because the listing wasn't up when we posted/wrote this week's FwM. ;P This is why we do these things weekly, so we can bring it up next time. XD
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Does this position have the living in Montreal requirement too?
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Common for all positions, you need:

to have a passion for games
    to relocate to Montreal, Canada
    to have good written and oral skills
    to be able to work in (large) teams
    Seems so.

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Unless you intend to fly in every day for work
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Programmers usually live in the dark corners of the office, or in their parents basement
    Let's hope they get one that likes the office
    Last edited by nanoforcer; Oct 24th, 2011 at 23:09:06.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

to be able to work in (large) teams
    hahahaha large teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    hahahaha large teams.
    What is your definition of large? A large scrum team is not very large if 10 is a big number :|
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    What is your definition of large? A large scrum team is not very large if 10 is a big number :|
    Yep, 2 is huge amount of coders ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

10 people total on the AO team? But, as you like to point out so very often, designers and coders are completely different, so as Ekarona said, 2 coders?

There's the rest of the AO team and the QA department and then so on. The job description says you must be able to work with those too.
    10 still isn't a big number. And as we saw in S42 today, their QA department doesn't actually do anything, so no need to work with them.

You could find larger teams that work together in American high schools. Sports teams, leadership groups, student government, etc.

10 still isn't a big number. And as we saw in S42 today, their QA department doesn't actually do anything, so no need to work with them.

You could find larger teams that work together in American high schools. Sports teams, leadership groups, student government, etc.
    Like I said there, then the QA team only tests what they're told to test. Were they told to test S42? Who knows. Probably not, because you'd need way too many than what you might figure is being alloted to AO. QA time is expensive, AO probably doesn't get too much of it.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    Seems so.
    Living doesn't equal re-locating. I believe with the earlier designer position, you already had to be living in Canada and even if you wanted to move, that wouldn't be an option. (I heard something about already being to many visa at FC to add more). I'm not 100% certain though and I have no clue how this is for the current position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Yep, 2 is huge amount of coders ;D
    As far as I know, Parsed is a coder too, so there'd be 3 .
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

And you use too little binary ;D

(I was joking...)
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

So, the New Engine isn't postponed? It's still almost certain to be released during Q1 next year? Just like Means said about a year ago, right?
    Last edited by byteflush; Oct 25th, 2011 at 00:04:07.
    Solweintraub - Engi - 220/30/70
    Byteflush... - Advy - 150/04/14

I'm still sticking to my 2014 estimate, until I see new evidence.
    New engine in 2014, rebalance in 2020. It fits the sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by byteflush View Post
    So, the New Engine isn't postponed? It's still almost certain to be released during Q1 next year? Just like Means said about a year ago, right?
    New engine will launch only after rebalance.... So..... Release full rebalance, put it in test server, test it, do tweaks, put then in test, test it again, get it ok'ish, put it on live. In....... hmmmmmm 6 months max? :P I dont think so.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    Will we get the Agent Nano documentation any time this year?
    Just assume your rebal doc is every other document combined. Then no more agent whine.
    Fastest Contact: Northadvncd "Agptaxi" Bankterminal
    Created: 2005-08-07 The AGP Cancelled: 2012-02-11
    AGPSHADOWMA2202568[P][E] AGPSHADOOMNT2142650[P][E]
    AGPECKOSOL1502049[P] AGPATLASDOC1502023[P]
    JURKENF150207[P][P2] JWRKENF270207 JUURKMP600614[P] HANZELSOL1001028[P]

10 is still large enough to require experience in working with teams.
    Hell, even if the team was smaller than that it still requires good teamwork to be productive.
    In this industry you work with several other professions each with their own specialty all adding in pieces to the puzzle. It takes teamwork to make this work.

Now wonder why those groups in your example exist..
    For exactly the reason to give students experience with working in teams.

It's a skill that certainly deserves to be mentioned.
    It's that important. If you can't work in teams, you'll be useless working on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Edta View Post
    Living doesn't equal re-locating. I believe with the earlier designer position, you already had to be living in Canada and even if you wanted to move, that wouldn't be an option. (I heard something about already being to many visa at FC to add more). I'm not 100% certain though and I have no clue how this is for the current position.
    You're wrong on this.
    There's no certain visa limit per company or anything.
    It's handled on a case-by-case basis.

What do you mean living doesn't equal re-locating?
    This is a fulltime position and you're expected to be in the office every day.
    You'll need to relocate to Montreal to make that work.
    I'm also fairly sure you'll need an address in Quebec for legal reasons.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Oct 25th, 2011 at 09:49:42.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    What do you mean living doesn't equal re-locating?
    I mean: If you live in Montreal, you don't need to re-locate. If you don't live in Montreal at the moment, you do need to re-locate. Yes you will need to live there once you have the job, but you do not need to live there already to apply for the job (assuming relocating is the only requirement).
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast