Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - Sept. 23rd, 2011: Initiative Data

Funcom employee Friday with Means - Sept. 23rd, 2011: Initiative Data

Update Coming October 5th:
    The next update will be coming to the live dimension on October 5th. This version will include the final Dustbrigade instance, 30 new daily missions and a host of other changes both small an significant. I will be posting more extensive update notes during the day today where they should be. The Halloween update will of course be coming very shortly after that to be in time for my favourite time of the year. You can look forward to Kintaii's annual preview of the items in a couple weeks Some creative fun stuff this year.

Another Mystery Solved:
    Imagine our horror in trying to produce a more challenging set of encounters for the new DB instance and discovering that initiative values in the game for monsters were capped at 1213. This little data cap was apparently implemented in 2002 as part of the build process due to a bug with high init values creating errors in the monsters DMS calculation that would result in the monster being chain-critted by players. Until now it has been possible to set a much higher value on internal servers, test it until we were happy, then discover to our horror that the number was different on live. As they added nanos previous to 2002 that would reduce the maximum capped-initiative value to below zero this was a perplexing decision...much like the fact that after the offending formula was corrected the cap in the build process was not removed. As much as our efforts to revamp systems has been way more work and taken much longer than we ever could have anticipated discoveries like this one make it pretty obvious that it was very badly needed and long overdue. Monsters will be having their correct initiatives in the next update...this will result in some higher damage from non-debuffed monsters...but it is quite safe to say that the overpowered nature of init debuffs will still be in force until the release of the new nanos...but not to such a great extent.

Engine Work:
    Z-Fghting of the night/day sky, the proper reflection on multiple ocean volumes AND proper display of the grass map was corrected this week. Damn fine work by Mr.Parsed and some great help from the rendering group has got us well on our way to getting something quite filmable. Flaptoot and Mstrbstrd have also been working on the final versions of the heads and are 90% complete done the 390+ heads. This has been a very long haul but it is amazing to see the strides made every week now. I am "cautiously optimistic"...let's leave it at that.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Edit: German Translation!
    Last edited by Kintaii; Sep 23rd, 2011 at 19:33:07.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Wooo! Have fun storming the castle guys!

And, shameless plug, Gridstream and ARK present the September MMOATP this Sunday!
    Last edited by Darkbane; Sep 23rd, 2011 at 19:33:15.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Edit, 2nd
    220/30/70 Martial Artist
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    A Rubi-Ka Story - youtube
    TRB Presentation Video divx | wegame

Soooo close to first, damn you Snake, damn you!
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Looking forward to those patch notes.

Also are the 30 Daily Missions additions going to be the SL ones?
    Last edited by Raggy; Sep 23rd, 2011 at 19:28:32.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Very nice FwM, looking forward to update and halloween
    220/30/70 Martial Artist
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    A Rubi-Ka Story - youtube
    TRB Presentation Video divx | wegame

30 new daily missions? You've got me excited. Those can be pretty fun.

Three hours ago, I would have cared. You have fouled the sanctity of FWM with your lackadaisical late posting. Really though, how can you delve into the bowels of AO code without suffering a nervous breakdown?

obligatory friday post
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

mmm, hokkay
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

I must say, this was both an interesting and uplifting FwM

Keep it up, yo!
    (This is Wrangeline's alt account btw. I'm posting with this one until it goes frozen)

pew
    Vitaliy - 220/30 NM NT
    Vitiate - 220/30 Soli Crat
    Paralympics - 220/30 NM Agent
    Vitx - 150/20 Opi Tarder

Paradise & Parasite

Halloween Already

Great news having new content and the Halloween celebration in the same month.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This little data cap was apparently implemented in 2002 as part of the build process due to a bug with high init values creating errors in the monsters DMS calculation that would result in the monster being chain-critted by players. Until now it has been possible to set a much higher value on internal servers, test it until we were happy, then discover to our horror that the number was different on live. As they added nanos previous to 2002 that would reduce the maximum capped-initiative value to below zero this was a perplexing decision...much like the fact that after the offending formula was corrected the cap in the build process was not removed. As much as our efforts to revamp systems has been way more work and taken much longer than we ever could have anticipated discoveries like this one make it pretty obvious that it was very badly needed and long overdue. Monsters will be having their correct initiatives in the next update...this will result in some higher damage from non-debuffed monsters...but it is quite safe to say that the overpowered nature of init debuffs will still be in force until the release of the new nanos...but not to such a great extent.
    So this means monsters will be hitting faster post patch? How exactly does the high init cause players to chain crit monsters? O.o But another nasty bug of sorts down, yay for better gameplay stuff.
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

first page?
    edit:
    Glad to know that all the devs before you were very lazy
    Last edited by Thecrow91; Sep 23rd, 2011 at 19:45:17.
    ::Veteran of Divine::
    Thecrowalt1 - 220/19/62 - Solitus Keeper - Clan - Gimped
    Thecrow91 - 132/7/? - Solitus Doctor - Clan - First Toon
    Many others under 100

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    AO is too hard.. better nerf all content

Dude, you can't talk about heads and not show some heads ... even if it's the heads of your team rolling about the floor in Montreal.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

not too shabby FwM.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

nice fwm as usual, much to the dismay of the nefarious trolls' guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...initiative values in the game for monsters were capped at 1213.....

...Monsters will be having their correct initiatives in the next update...this will result in some higher damage from non-debuffed monsters...but it is quite safe to say that the overpowered nature of init debuffs will still be in force until the release of the new nanos...but not to such a great extent.
    probably the first time I've actually raised both of my eyebrows about an incoming change. this is definitely one of those wait and see things i guess. no point raging over something that might be minor...yet.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast