Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 2nd, 2011 - Engine Screenshots - Tir

I really like those screenshots. And the lighting seems interesting. And it all goes on top of a recent technology (opengl 2 - shaders). So once all is in place, they can work on adding more effects, stuff, whatever.
    I'm also looking forward to the gpu doing the 3D work instead of the cpu.

Those graphics aren't the best on the market, but they are great and that is good enough. Interesting light effects combined with a dynamic sky/day-night (real night please)/weather will alone, make the views interesting. And it gives them a platform for incremental changes and it reduces lag... all I want.

May not be reasonable or doable, but I feel night could be better in ao:
    - darker
    - some mobs only spawning at dark
    - torches (could be simple point lights) for players
    - lights going on at night in cities/villages... and ideally a vigil (or multiple guards in cities) roaming around with torches.

Was wondering, will the new technology allow for mirrors/glass? I know opengl 2 has no trouble there, but can it work easily in ao? Think I remember glass somewhere but not sure.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

Wrangeline - I love your suggestions, particularly the radio idea. I agree, though, that the chance of it being implemented is vanishingly small.

what wrang said about light and shadows. ever since i saw the first pictures of the new engine i can't play current AO without thinking 'where are the shadows!?'.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Looks awesome
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

My god, it's full of matrix-multiplied vectors. They should have sent... a poet.

Awesome work guys.
    Silnumtao 220 Doc
    Sebquantic 150 Agent

Augh, cant wait to see this finished! Will breathe new life into this gem of a game.
    Brawlking
    -= Strength and Courage =-
    -( The Artist formerly known as Fixerben )-

I Love Wrangleline's radio Idea, it sounds all kinds of awesome but would require that fc add more instruments than just mitaar and microphone

Looks good, but what's with all the blur? Engine mechanics or just shop-finish?
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

Jeez I just realized it's September 3. You know what that mean? It's a new fiscal year! It's Quarter 1 all over again! Way to go Funcom. 2021 here we come!
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

I'm thinking a "1st half 2012" release on the new engine. I hope its closer than that buts what seems most logical right now. What do you all think? (Kintai and Means too)

Public performance of cover songs requires licensing. Also, I seriously doubt any serious writer is going to grant FC "ownership" of their material.

I'm just imaging the chaos in borealis, everyone wearing light bars projecting dynamic shadows!

Lightbar party!
    :: Azur "Kitace" Korza : 211/24 Fix ::
    :: Siri "Sirace" Autarii : 60/6 Enf ::
    :: Adria "Firace" Godfray : 182/9 Adv ::
    :: Tanis "Kirace" Solaris : 150/10 Doc ::
    :: April "Mirace" Mirana : 150/14 MA ::
    :: Reindeer of "Firepaw16" Funk : 121/0 Agent ::
    :: Ansi "Serace" Sereia : 133/12 Sol ::

'Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice.'

OMG Tir!!!!!! Love it!
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Just do it quick and get it released. Pimping it up, you can do after its live.
    Neverest 220 NM MP PVP setup

Quote Originally Posted by Lackofgravy View Post
    Fix totw's halls to make them a bit bigger... or add more culties (J/K even if it is fun walking around with a city of culties following you )
    Random totally-unrelated comment of the month it appears. Yes, if TOTW was fixed it would make much impact on player satisfaction (not).

Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    Just do it quick and get it released. Pimping it up, you can do after its live.
    Isn't this what they did in original AO release? I guess they might have forgotten, after 10 years, how it was
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    The most important aspect of the new engine to me is the lighting/shadows. Nothing else (graphically speaking, not talking design here) has as much impact on what a game feels like visually than good lighting and shadows.

Warm colored light early in the morning and colder bluish light in the evening/night and individual lightsources and the sun casting shadows and such. This to me is 90% of what the new engine offers. The last 10% being better foliage (grass/trees) and higher polygon characters.

Now we need an ingame radio. A radio that is located inside RK missions (on desks/tables), that people also can buy from a shop and put in their apartments and so on. The music on this radio will be music made/recorded by players and sent to FC. FC will put the music in the game but only on radios, so only people near a radio can hear it. What music is played depends on where the radio is and is chosen by FC.

So some players that are good with electronica and such can make music that can be heard in main omni city locations or in bars or clubs. People that play classical guitar or piano or whatever can have their music be heard on radios in apartments and such. Radios can be turned on and off and the volume depends on how close to the radio you are standing. Song-library will run on a loop.

The music can be original created work or can be covers of various well known songs. Froobs have access to this content as well so its free and no one is making any money on anything in hopes that this wont attract lawsuits. Anything sent to FC that is original created work, automatically grants FC ownership of that work so once its sent, no one except FC can claim ownership of it

I know I'm talking partially out of my arse here because something like this will probably never be implemented. I just think it's fun to think about and talk about

I know we got some talented musicians here and it would be fun to have some fun with that and add some musical variation to the game since all ingame music is so old by now. Most people I know play AO with the sound turned off, which is a shame, yet perfectly understandable.
    There's something similar to that in Second Life. You can tune into radio stations using quick time there as it's implemented as part of the game.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Erthande View Post
    Hardly think textures, resources, or DirectX 9 has anything to do with "Information Technology" illiteracy.

The statement "quite modern" is at best vague. Is the Dreamfall engine "quite modern"? All depends on what measuring stick you are using.

If we get the new engine by x-mas, or just before, that would be fantastic, and also fun.
    Didn't you know that IT is the new umbrella-catchall that fits over everything related to anything that takes place on a computer?

At best vague, cause it's a vague thing to talk about. It supports the full list of DX9 features and a bunch of dx10 features, and by extension the DX11 subset of DX10, should they ever want to make use of that. But it's also an MMO engine, where most MMOs do not make use of much of this technology, sitting in a pretty stale looking version of DX9 making use of very few of the "free" ways to get things to look pretty. Or indeed, just make use of environment shadows... Hell, most singleplayer games don't even do this.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc View Post
    There's something similar to that in Second Life. You can tune into radio stations using quick time there as it's implemented as part of the game.
    Along with YouTube allowing the display of movies on prims (objects) such as TVs.

Entropia Universe also has (or had, been a while) a juke box in bars that would play a selection of music. I recall a player wrote a song and got it added to the juke box.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Nice pics. Great to know I'll have a nice view while those guards shoot me for being a Neutral...
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast