Thread: Social and Custom Personalization Will Save Rubi-ka

Social and Custom Personalization Will Save Rubi-ka

Well I've played so many games and am an old fart so I don't know where to begin. Well perhaps I do. Let's start with a game I played for over 9 years and is still active today.

Gemstone III - Started at a base of 50 people and was an original mud owned by I.C.E. and then when put onto AOL started wracking up 2,000 people at one time on peek hours. It became the very first massive multi-player game and had more subscribers than any other game at the current time. Had its own graphical front end and added some nice features to make MUD'ing work well. The reason why its alive today?

Reason 1 - Social Lives - Most of the people playing are mature (ages 20 - 60 in real life) They have their own personalities, and a rich storyline to thrive on. Friends don't leave because they build on the friendships and have Simucons and Vegascons where players meet and form social bonds outside of the game.

Reason 2 - Character Personalization - You can customize and alter any piece of clothing/item you wear to make elaborate descriptions. No two people look alike. You have custom armor, weapons, and even housing. The custom houses you own can have their own furnishings and even though it costs a lot it can be done in great detail. You can choose the area you want to live in and the real estate can go up or down depending on game events. You can add custom descriptions and real time effects to your house as well. You even have guild houses that were custom built from the ground where you can go in and store items in your own private locker and sit at tables and order food etc.

The Downfalls - Its a MUD - well an elaborate MUD. They take up to 2 years to fix bugs and to do simple profession balancing. The reason people don't mind is because they enjoy the social aspects to the game which more than make up for the bugs.

The cost - 12.95 for one character (yep one single character). $32.95 a month for a premium account which allows you 10 characters. $79.95 a month for a platinum account which allows you special services.

How many people are still on at peak hours now today at the present time? 968 people online.

Everquest - I won't go into this popular game because people already know the good and the bad but I will touch on the auction system that was revamped. The ability to sell your items while you are offline is something fabulous. AO should implement a similar feature or hi-tech bazaar.

(NOW THEN)

Things that will make AO better and help the future of the game.

1. Create public housing and guild housing. Elaborate more on houses and guild houses. Allow full furniture customization. Allow for mood music to be selective within your own apartment (zone). Allow for ratio furniture placement and limit the pieces to 50 per apartment. Allow for banking in guild houses and public houses. Allow players to buy entire structures. Allow players to customize their own structures.

2. Fix "custom missions" on the mission terminals. This would allow people to make their own custom missions to ****e up the adventure some. I know all about the no-drop exploits that people used on that feature in the past but c'mon its been months upon months now and its still not working as intended.

3. ****e up the Storyline. One of the greatest things about some of the special games I have played is that when a storyline was present, monsters (mobs) could be created in waves to simulate an area attack and yet I have not seen one large scale area attack or multiple scale area attacks since the attacks on lush resorts with the cyborgs. Correct me here someone but I believe the borgs were the only ones and that was a lot of fun while it lasted. They also pushed again in Avalon during the same time as well. Create "popular" public appearances that are NPC run for notables like Phillip Ross, etc. but don't bugger up the appearances by letting players kill them easily *cough*. Create more "animosity type" figures that can interract and cause some stir in the community at any given time so that people start spreading rumors about the tyranny of such and such.

4. Create more content and rich areas to explore. Add snow. Fix the weather on Rubi-ka. Yes I'm omni and it is quite well known that they originally tampered and screwed up the weather biosphere machines on the planet which causes the sporadic problems on rubi-ka. Allow for unusual texturing in certain areas so that everything doesn't seem so dark and foreboding all of the time.

5. Add more character animations. Add more facial, body, features. Create body chop shops that allow for people to go in and customize their body with tattoos and change their face and appearance for a price whenever they want. Let people control their looks and the feel of their clothing, armor, weapons.

More will follow later...
    Feel free to add..

I agree. I've been playing online games of one sort or another since '91. While I rarely log on to a MUD anymore, no graphical on line world has yet reached the deepness of gameplay as some of the truly legendary MUDs. (MUD<--The Original :P, Gemstone, Medievia (only other MUD to rival Gemstone really. 700+ individuals online at any time...though I recently went back to find the game had changed largely for the worse, Ancient Anguish, list goes on.) I think mmpogs could learn A LOT from those games concerning the richness of gameplay.

Big bump for you!

Oh, and ideas. My biggest wish is:

Interaction with mobs/world. There is such piss poor mob interaction in this game (though it is true for most mmpogs). These prof specific ring quests are a great example of what not to do. Interaction with GMs. I don't think Funcom has the manpower to do this, but if they could get enough GMs who weren't about customer service, and were about interacting with the players...it'd be great. The current setup sucks. How hard would it be for a Funcom held pvp tourney? Or gm mediated attack on cyborg billets to rescue innocent hostages? (Key word being mediate. If I see another greenie who does all the action while players stand around and complain about lag, I'm shooting it.)

I'm convinced the devs have only the simplest grasp of what a quest bit is, and what you can do with it.

Last edited by Zylina; Oct 15th, 2002 at 08:00:51.

Yes- anything that encourages a sense of ownership is a good thing. Whether it's a guild house or a personalized t-shirt, it goes a long way to giving players a personal investment in a game.

It gives one a sense of inclusion in the larger world.

I'd also like to see profession houses, accessible by only the appropriate profession. Guild ties are great, but I think a profession can tie an individual to a larger community, one outside of their immediate circle of friends. One that's less likely to dissolve.

A professsion house could ideally be used as a center for trading rare profession-specific items, and perhaps even for profession-specific quests or plots.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Drabin, I have to applaud you on a very positive post with some great ideas.

It would certainly increase player retention and satisfaction to have the features you describe, especially organization housing, custom missions, and custom equipment. Anything Funcom can do to enhance the way we interact with each other and increase the fun of being with others will be a giant leap forward.

I'd love more storyline interaction as well... however I feel the recent 'manhunt' that Omni Pol engaged in for the two fugitives should be seen as a model for how the story team can invovle players as more than 'targets for greenies.'
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Derisor
    Look at the bright side. In NEOCRON, no matter what armor you gt or items or anything, you always look EXACTLY the same as you started.

=) Someone didnt learntthe psychological lessons of human motivation I guess.

Originally posted by Jynne
    I'd love more storyline interaction as well... however I feel the recent 'manhunt' that Omni Pol engaged in for the two fugitives should be seen as a model for how the story team can invovle players as more than 'targets for greenies.'
    What manhunt? Heh. You do realize 99% of the playerbase never even knows what's going on when the greenies do things like this right? I've also found that most players don't go out of their way to let others know as well, because they don't want the lag.

But yes, a good idea. Now take in to mind that more then 10 people play this game and expand on it.

Talking Woo hoo!

Bumpity Bump Bump!

If FC implemented some of these ideas... I get woozy just thinking about it!

I love customizing myself. I have outfitted my apartment with it's 10 max items as well as accumulated 3 backpacks full of clothes which I carry on my person everywhere I go!

If I got to actually design something I'd do nothing else for weeks!

These ideas have been around for over a year now but they are still great ones. If anyone important is paying attention please let us know if you are working on this!
    ArchPriest Katelin 'Lunayu' Saar - Former President of the Guild of Meta-Physics
    Former Council Member of the Council of Truth

House Demonslap
    A little Anger never hurt Nobody...

"It's called an Anger Manifestation not a Love Manifestation!"
    "And how does that make you feel?"

hit

Originally posted by Peisinoe

What manhunt? Heh. You do realize 99% of the playerbase never even knows what's going on when the greenies do things like this right? I've also found that most players don't go out of their way to let others know as well, because they don't want the lag.

But yes, a good idea. Now take in to mind that more then 10 people play this game and expand on it.
    The manhunt was announced in a news article that's in the launcher window when you start the game. I don't know how FC could have promoted it better. Every single person had it in their face every single time they played for several days.

How is that not getting the word out?
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Wasn't really my point Jynne. But just how many people were participating in that event?

The point I'm trying to make is that this game has more then 10 people playing. So far, events have been either small, secluded things that involve a small group of roleplayers, or large scale lagged out flops. Would be nice if there were many many small scale events going on, so many players could take part. That's all. Try asking random people if they've ever been involved in the storyline or an event. That's what's wrong with the current system. *shrug*

More interaction with NPC Mobs is VERY important and VERY much needed in this game.

A few years ago there was a little futuristic cyber-punk adventure game that I loved called "Omikron." Any of you ever play this gem? It was fantastic...you could talk to anyone (although after a while people would begin to repeat each other) for a good deal of info about the cities and how they FEEL about whats going on. Also, the cities in Omikron seemed ALIVE..cars sped along the streets..people walked into shops and browsed. Sometimes it was great just to walk around that city enjoying the atmosphere.

AO needs this desperatly. Half the time when Im walking through Omni Entertainment I feel like Im walking through a ghost town. There is no life there.

Yea!

I agree, something needs to be done. For us that love the social part of AO - things have gone all - hum drum!

Yes.. I said hum drum.
    Shush...

bumpin!
    *~*THYME*~*
    ~*Taboo's Views On Templus*~
    " "He is just a moron .You know he really isnt in the military, he is a 48 y/o man living in his parents basement who cant get laid & therefore hates all women and feels he has to belittle them because he cant get his lil peepee wet"

Idea

I posted and sent this idea in the Professionals and to the community staff but I'd like to share it with all of you.

This suggestion can be reworked and reoutfitted in any way shape or form to work with the storyline.

It is based off "the juggernaut". I call it the ICC Juggernaut but because of peace issues we could call the ship that comes to Rubi-ka something completely different like the Juggernaut EC03-11.

Story and interaction:

The Juggernaut EC03-11 comes to rubi-ka amidst the uproar of uncertain outbreak of war in an effort to help restore peace with a one month peace break called the "Festival of Rubi-ka". The Juggernaut is a trade ship and has many wonderful stores and features that can be visited.

Now the brunt of this event is that I firmly believe it should be a "paid" event in that we as customers can decide whether we want to take part in purchasing an entrance fee into the event or not. The event money would have a good portion of it split down into commissions for the designers who assist with the event and for those that work with monitoring the event on a "live" basis.

Now by purchasing access to the event you have access to the stores. Some of the items can be no-drop - some might not be. Some services might be "in-person" only.

What would the juggernaut have in its stores?

How about:

A tattoo parlor for real body tattoos that will appear after your clothes are removed.
    Custom Clothes with emblems and special insignias and even naming personalization.
    Special trinkets and toys, utilities, etc. that can be used for role-play

Custom Weapons and Armor:

You can buy your own base armor version and then incorporate different design meshes that will allow for personalization but still maintain the same original bonuses. You might even be able to rename the armor to something you like.

Customize your weapons so that they show ownership or even add an extra stock or special design to an already existent one that increases base damage or certain abilities.

Visit the Body Chop Shops:

And change your appearance completely. Upgrade all of your looks from body weight to facial expressions to even new hair.

Buy into a special gift prize that when used or hacked, spawns a completely unique item that no one knows what it will be. Call this vendor the mystery item vendor.

Have wedding chapels and romance supplies for those that want to give flowers or special gifts to their loved ones.

Create Festivities and Entertainment:

Throughout the month, especially on the weekends have entertainment geared with great splashes and interesting quirks like special dances and even mass assemblies.

Finish off the event on the last weekend of the one month stay and create a huge bang or a special role play scenario that will surely make everyone remember the events.

For shops and special vendors you can create specific zones so that if too many fit into one shop, they will go into an alternate shop.

Please add onto this idea as you see fit.

Re: Idea

Originally posted by Drabin
    I posted and sent this idea in the Professionals and to the community staff but I'd like to share it with all of you.

This suggestion can be reworked and reoutfitted in any way shape or form to work with the storyline.

It is based off "the juggernaut". I call it the ICC Juggernaut but because of peace issues we could call the ship that comes to Rubi-ka something completely different like the Juggernaut EC03-11.

Story and interaction:

The Juggernaut EC03-11 comes to rubi-ka amidst the uproar of uncertain outbreak of war in an effort to help restore peace with a one month peace break called the "Festival of Rubi-ka". The Juggernaut is a trade ship and has many wonderful stores and features that can be visited.

Now the brunt of this event is that I firmly believe it should be a "paid" event in that we as customers can decide whether we want to take part in purchasing an entrance fee into the event or not. The event money would have a good portion of it split down into commissions for the designers who assist with the event and for those that work with monitoring the event on a "live" basis.

Now by purchasing access to the event you have access to the stores. Some of the items can be no-drop - some might not be. Some services might be "in-person" only.

What would the juggernaut have in its stores?

How about:

A tattoo parlor for real body tattoos that will appear after your clothes are removed.
    Custom Clothes with emblems and special insignias and even naming personalization.
    Special trinkets and toys, utilities, etc. that can be used for role-play

Custom Weapons and Armor:

You can buy your own base armor version and then incorporate different design meshes that will allow for personalization but still maintain the same original bonuses. You might even be able to rename the armor to something you like.

Customize your weapons so that they show ownership or even add an extra stock or special design to an already existent one that increases base damage or certain abilities.

Visit the Body Chop Shops:

And change your appearance completely. Upgrade all of your looks from body weight to facial expressions to even new hair.

Buy into a special gift prize that when used or hacked, spawns a completely unique item that no one knows what it will be. Call this vendor the mystery item vendor.

Have wedding chapels and romance supplies for those that want to give flowers or special gifts to their loved ones.

Create Festivities and Entertainment:

Throughout the month, especially on the weekends have entertainment geared with great splashes and interesting quirks like special dances and even mass assemblies.

Finish off the event on the last weekend of the one month stay and create a huge bang or a special role play scenario that will surely make everyone remember the events.

For shops and special vendors you can create specific zones so that if too many fit into one shop, they will go into an alternate shop.

Please add onto this idea as you see fit.
    Maybe have a string of ships and not just one where each ship has a few stores in them. You could space the ships out in a large neutral area like Newland Desert near the whompa to Newland Desert.

I like the full month idea though and even if this was too long of an event. At least have all 4 weeks the main event with special live events hosted by GMs on the weekends only.

The paid portion I agree on because commissions for the designers should be given on special content that they work on. Some of this type of event sequence may have to be implemented off working hours and I think when you involve money for both the host company and the designers it will influence some added motivation for more personalized content and RP material.

The Festival of Rubi-ka or you could name it, "The Festival of Peace".

And don't forget the social tab! so at least in 75 and 100 gas we can just wear social clothes and have our weapons made invisable.

One design problem of the game, the closer you get to 200 the more equipment co-dependencies occour, people need 3 buffs and a plant to get in and out of their back slot armor, some people can't equip their weapon without switching out implants. After 150 or so when you can max your stats, equiping one item becomes dependent on other items and buffs, this makes any kind of social play difficult, and also makes us all look like clones.

Juggernaught event?

This sounds absolutely spectacular. If there was going to be a large scale event, everyone would look forward to it. Many would flame it, but who cares, I do.

I would love to see on the 30th of each month, sol banking corp pulls into orbit, bringing new items, missions, onboard fights, a change in all the rules while on the moving ship

I would love to see random invasions where all monsters went agrro and decided to overrun one of the many small outposts.

I would love to hear that something big was happening at X.X and that those who can get there will get a chance to do something that wasn't regularly available.

I really like the idea of a periodic event, that would only be possible for a day a month.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

investment in character

another thing, the reason that many of us are addicted to this game is the personalization in our characters. My characters all develop their own personalities, and I quite proud of the stylish armour that some of them wear.

The more I could write about, dress up, customize, and accessorize, the less I would want to throw that all away by leaving AO. I would love to be able to walk into a crowd of people and recognize them from the visible appearance of the people. While it is theoretically possible to have everyone appear different, due to the few types of good armour out there, most people end up looking mostly the same.

Suggestions: over armour items, customization strips, colour bars that are tied to your account, buttons, badges and armour paint.

If these are have already been discussed, but not implimented yet, it would be nice to know.

The more time people invest in their characters, the more they will be willing to stay.

ani
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened