Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - August 5th, 2011 - Magnetic times

hooray exploding hard drives back in game!

back in the "old days" of lower RAM machines, AO used to thrash my disk so much I think it ate 3-4 hdd's over a few years...
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Nice to hear that towers will once again explode, the game is saved. I am still waiting for doors to work the 1st time you walk up to one. I still smile when I find just the right spot on the right or left of the doorway that lets me in.

Is anyone else annoyed by the guy that keeps asking for furnaces to be stackable? Would it dramatically offset the balance of power in the game to allow furnaces to stack like ammo?

But we have to appease Stigs with these furnaces or he threatens the wildlife!

Gief him his furnaces maaan, it's the only way !

a rather good way to kill a hard disk quick is to install disk management software with an auto-defrag program that runs 24/7.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

When you say exploding Towers I assume you were inspired by exploding *disk* towers...
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

another week passes by without a trace of any new profession documents or gfx engine.... can we have another month of aniversary stuff or something in exchange?
    Pheddex 220/30/70 trox agent equip

Pheddy 220/30/70 soli crat equip

Pheddette 164/19/42 opi trader equip

Lavidaloco 150/17/30 opi agent equip

Tinytall 200/25/70 opi advy equip

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    2) Stuxnet! Someone or some institution does not wish to see an upgraded AO come to fruition
    Pretty sure they have nothing to worry about.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

I want to post a screenie of towers blowing up, but i am on phone :-(
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I want to post a screenie of towers blowing up, but i am on phone :-(
    Something like this & this?
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Other time this week was spent trying to locate the cause of 12 disk failures on the team's machines in the last 6 months..we are beginning to think it might be a power line in the floor generating a small magnetic field...but it is beyond being a statistical anomaly at this point so we need to find a cause.
    When in doubt....Blame Canada!
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    a rather good way to kill a hard disk quick is to install disk management software with an auto-defrag program that runs 24/7.
    THIS.

You got this HD problem since you are using the new build system for your software, right? maybe?
    Some 10 years back in my professional career Rational Rose did that to some of our boxes too, ended up with SCSI drives that had smarter caching controllers then IDE AND our network guys did something to the checkout procedure to reduce load on hard disks.

"it might be a power line in the floor generating a small magnetic field" sounds like an excellent reason why your boss should approve SSDs for the entire team
    Hlep gnak!

Can throw the "powerline creating magnetic field" theory out the window if your workstations have proper cases (i.e. no stupid things like windows to see even dumber things like lights inside..).

Next (hardware) thing I'd look into is power supplies - all the same? Maybe they cant cope with "bad power quality" (surges, peaks etc) and pass it through to your HDDs?

The only think I can say about power lines is that they all generates magnetif fields :P Thats why we have cable coated by rubber, crossed metal wires (usually cooper or alum), and more rubber.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Perhaps shielded cases, at least for the hard drives, may be in order.

Or shield the entire room, so it will never happens again xD
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
    Can throw the "powerline creating magnetic field" theory out the window if your workstations have proper cases (i.e. no stupid things like windows to see even dumber things like lights inside..).
    Mine is actually mostly windows and blinking lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Next (hardware) thing I'd look into is power supplies - all the same? Maybe they cant cope with "bad power quality" (surges, peaks etc) and pass it through to your HDDs?
    All you need from a case is proper airflow if you're doing aircooling, and you likely are. Windows, lights, those things don't interfere, but it's not the thing you usually see in an office landscape.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

so Means, when was the last time you actually played AO? pvp'd? did a round of BS? went on any kind of raid? just curious, and I'm sure I'm not alone here.
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

When do we get our QQ shirts? And yes umm.. When will we hear more about the Content Designers Positions! I am sure we are all equally as eager to hear more about it!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast