Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - July 29th, 2011: Time Keeps On Tickin'

Funcom employee Friday with(out) Means - July 29th, 2011: Time Keeps On Tickin'

... tickin', tickin', into the future...

With the last week of vacation time coming to a close things are still rather quiet here at the office - Most of the team has returned now, with MstrBstrd and Means both taking a few days (and myself grabbing a couple at the start of the week - finally got myself moved into an apartment \o/), and it'll soon be business as usual yet again. =)

Both Genele and I have been making some additional tweaks/adjustments to our respective instances which should be on Testlive fairly soon - Initial feedback so far has been really great, and with the refinements & polish incoming it shouldn't be long before the new content is ready for the live dimensions. More feedback is always welcome, though, so we encourage you guys to head over to Test to check 'em out. Lindelu has a new batch of Daily Missions incoming as well that are available for testing which I think you guys will enjoy - Always fun stuff from Linde. =D

In the shinies department this week, intern extraordinaire cube has been putting in some time working on really awesome new social gear headed to the Anarchy Online item store, including new shoulder pads, hoverbots, helmets and much more - You can check out a sneak preview of some of the goodies down below. =)

Lastly, I want to pose you guys a question. We've been doing some impromptu storyline Q&A over in the Fourth Wall forum this week, and it's gotten me to thinking about story *structure* in games, and how different writers can approach the same project in vastly different fashions. AO in particular is a game that's been under the storyline direction of many people over the years (first with Ragnar, Gaute, and Tommy Strand up to launch, then Runar & Jon Thorainsson joined Gaute for Shadowlands, Marius for AI and Znore/Sil/Bacchante for LE, with Aythem after that, and now myself, Linde and Genele), and you can see each person's individual influences and styles showing through in their work and methods of writing.

Story and setting in a game, regardless of how you may feel about things such as roleplaying, *are* elements that help tie the player into the 'concept' of what they're playing, even if they're not something that's directly prevalent in the player's view. Take a game like Minecraft which, while not having a running narrative of any fashion, still has a unified setting and 'feel' - A deliberately low-tech environment, a sense of logic behind even some of the game's stranger mechanics; the game and its world make sense in its presentation, even without having a story directly presented to the player. Conversely you have games such as the incoming Deus Ex III, which focus very heavily on their story and writing, making it one of the main attractions and selling points behind the game. Both styles of game are still giving a form of 'story' to the player, even if one is only the story that we ourselves make up due to the presentation we're given.

My question to you guys is this: What makes a good story in a game to you? Is it the writing? Is it the *style* of writing? Is it the atmosphere, or the immersion? What is it that ultimately makes you feel a game's story is worth investing in or not? Does the lack of a written narrative bother you when playing, or do you prefer a completely open-ended world without any background or setting at all? Answer if you want. Or, y'know, don't. 'scool either way. Meantime, I'm out - Hope you guys have a great weekend, and we'll see you back here next week. Later!

German Translation!
    Last edited by Kintaii; Jul 29th, 2011 at 18:08:32.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

first!

edit: super total winsauce
    Last edited by cube; Jul 29th, 2011 at 15:52:09. Reason: WIIINNNN

first non FC staff
    Last edited by Gridpain; Jul 29th, 2011 at 15:58:08.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

3rd
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

agent. doc. when?

about question: the setting/the gameworld/the background story mostly
    Last edited by unback; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:03:02.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciekafsky View Post
    Every single profession is underpowered when compared to advys. Learn to live with it. At last they dont alphakill you so you are not underpowered but rather somewhere near the very top of the food chain.

Woah. My post number 3 is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    My question to you guys is this: What makes a good story in a game to you?
    atmosphere & immersion

Even games with well known IP can be a pile of garbage if the atmosphere & immersion are not there (gameplay is most important, but does not relate to your question).
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:34:43.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

I suffered +100,000 points of Wall-O-Text damage.

Third! Blimey. New content: good. Story? Atmosphere wins. Style IS substance. *ADDENDUM* 7th. Must learn to post, then put the reply in an edit. But hey-ho, still first page.
    Last edited by Cogline; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:03:53. Reason: Slipping down the league table.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

tick..tick..tick!

What's going on with the heckler pet deadline this Sunday?
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:17:25.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™

Stacking Personal Furnaces would make AO make sense.

But immersion of play is most important, visual cues that link content together (coz i can't read :P) and hmmm stacking personal furnaces, but I think I mentioned that already.
    Last edited by Stigman; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:07:23.
    .:: Stigman : 220 / 30 / 70 : NM Engineer (PVM 35% Crit) : I Make It, You Buy It : FIRST Omni NM Engi to hit 220/30/70 on RK1 ::.
    .:: Stigmartyr : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Shade (Neutral) : Piercing Princess ::.
    .:: Levinstein : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Agent : Sneaky Sniper ::.
    .:: Lexstein : 150 / 20 / 42 : Trox Engineer : Sector Ten : Currently the ONLY 150/20/42 Trox Engi on RK1 ::.

First.
    Very WoW-like pads. Rest looks cool. Those bags are darling.
    Last edited by Colawrenn; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:05:58.
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

Shinies, now can I has a toaster or even better a wheelchair, ARKing for more than 10years takes it's toll on these "old" bones.

Quote Originally Posted by unback View Post
    agent. doc. when?
    "if" ranther than "when".

Considering the lack on info on reballance since lseveral weeks (month ?), one can wonder if they are even working on it still...
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by cube View Post
    first!

edit: super total winsauce
    Cheater!
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Colawrenn View Post
    First.
    Very WoW-like pads. Rest looks cool. Those bags are darling.
    I had a feeling a comment like this would come up ;]

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're Very "WoW-like" pads. However; they are much more traditionally structured [medieval] - than AO's time frame suggests.

Something different for you all to play around with when customizing your visual setup, cheers! :]
    Last edited by cube; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:14:55. Reason: oopz

Dibs on the pink purse.

Oh man do you really want me to type that much about the story... This is going to be a long edit...
    Last edited by Technogen; Jul 29th, 2011 at 16:58:11.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    Shinies, now can I has a toaster or even better a wheelchair, ARKing for more than 10years takes it's toll on these "old" bones.
    The toaster would require the ability to put more than 10 items in your apartment at a time.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.

1st page
    Proud Advisor of Spartans

Taskersolder Level 220 Soldier
    Taskdoc Level 220 Doc
    Jarew Level 220 NT
    Tasker1 Level 220 Fixer
    Taskcrat Level 220 Crat
    Tasky Level 220 Trader
    Taskmann Level 220 Adv
    Healer01 Level 220 Doc-semi-retired TT dispenser