Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Confused about the storyline (storyline q&a itt)

I've got my theories. I'll marinate on them overnight and report back to you in the AM.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I would say that Traveling using any kind of portal/rift would take no time at all. Inter-dimensional portals like the ones in the Shadowlands move an individual instantaneously. As so Trans-dimensional portals like the one JAME maintains into the Shadowlands. I would argue that Trans-Universal portals, like all portals, operate the same, the only difference is the amount of energy required to open them. i.e. It doesn't matter what's on the other side of the door, stepping through the door is always the same, regardless of where your foot lands.

Now, we have no reports of a) Aliens attacking anything except Rubi-Ka and b) Humans ever making it to another Galaxy successfully. Both of these can be used.

See this Map and this map. Reality places Earth in the Orion Spur. Lore definitively places Omni-Prime in the Perseus Arm. And lore vaguely places Rubi-Ka on “the frontier”. Using maths from my FTL Thread, the only remotely believable location for Rubi-Ka is the Outer Arm.

So, If the Aliens landed, in say, Andromeda in Universe K they would have a very, VERY long haul to get to Rubi-Ka. And since Rubi-Ka is on the very edge of the galaxy they're likely making a B-Line for it.

Now, the Aliens aren't exempt from the rules of nature (as far as I am concerned). I'm going to assume here that since the Aliens are biological, they require food to survive and since their weapons require ammunition I'm going to assume their ships require some kind of fuel.

Humans haven't made it out of the Milky Way yet because our Technology hasn't allowed us to be able to travel fast enough to each another galaxy before running out of fuel or food (which is why we can't head them off closer to their entry point). The Aliens may be advanced to the point where they could do it, but may not do it often because of how taxing it is.

For all we know, the reason that the Alien Invasion has been such a failure is that they underestimated the amount of supplies needed for the endeavor and underestimated the strength of the Humans (read: Omni-Tek). After several years of failed combat strategy they have decided to have a “surge”. This is what the Invasion Plans are, the Aliens hope to simply zerg rush Rubi-Ka to claim it.

Well, why not attack somewhere else? Rubi-Ka is the most valuable strategic asset, and for some reason, the Humans are largely unconcerned that it's under attack. A relatively small amount of Humans are thwarting the invasion. If they press onto another location they risk upsetting the bee's nest which is the Milky Way as a whole. I am sure the Alien's scans of the system can see SBC's, TruSpace, the bulk of Omni-Tek's Naval fleet and other's all chilling out there, and I'm sure the Humans Politics that are keeping them anchored are beyond their comprehending.

What they do comprehend is that what they're doing now hasn't provoked them, but they're smart enough to know that they're not unprovokable.

If the whole of the Human War Machines mobilize before the full invasion fleet arrives, their hopes of conquering/liberating/whatevering Rubi-Ka are slim.
    Last edited by Trousers; Jul 29th, 2011 at 12:33:17.

Well Trousers, your theories about universes/dimensions and the travel between it, are just that theories. I'm sure they are based on science, but the science you use is 27000 years old and not Kyr'Ozch science, but human science. And this science didn't figure out inter-universel travel yet. In reality, everything is still possible and only your fantasy is the limit.
    Even if the only difference between inter-dimensional and inter-universel travel would be the required energy, this energy could be a defining factor resulting in the need of other technologies. Or maybe the technology the Kyr'Ozch developed for inter-dimensional travel also is one that takes time.

Eh... I suddenly don't know what I'm discussing anymore or what anomaly we have to explain. I guess one thing to explain would be: why do the aliens come from space if a portal from their universe on their homeworld would set them right on Rubi-Ka. One possible reason could be being careful: A permanent portal on Rubi-Ka could be captured by us, turning the invasion in the other direction. If this is the explanation, they could have permanent portals in hidden locations in the outzones by now that can be used for resupplies.
    A second possible reason would be that the technology they use for inter-universel travel requires them to be in space: maybe it requires them to travel faster then light, maybe the warp causes great damage to the environment, maybe something else .
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

Thanks again, Kintaii.

Here's a couple of theories about the Kyr'Ozch travel time. (Without so much speculation about the methods they use )

1) Where does it say that the Kyr'Ozch homeworld is Rubi-Ka? If one of the Arks spawned humans a long way away on the new homeworld of Earth, why wouldn't the Alien race be similar if they were also seeded by an Ark?

2) Asuming that their homeworld is Rubi-Ka, why does it have to exist in the same physical space? Getting a bit more speculative for this one for an example: Let's say I wanted to create 2 new universes using the energy of the Source. And I assume that this process obeys classical mechanics (which it probably doesn't, but hey), then the only way I can think of to adhere to conservation of momentum is to make everything that has angular momentum in each new universe (like a galaxy, for example) spin in the opposite direction. That means that it would be highly unlikely that Rubi-Ka-K would ever sit in the same "space" as Rubi-Ka-0.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Funcom employee

The homeworld of the Kyr'Ozch is not Rubi-Ka, nor the place that was in its stead before the Cataclysm. Their homeworld is...uh... Kyr'Ozchia or whatever. The planet they come from, like the homeworld of humans is Earth.

Both humans and aliens come from the same genetic pool hundreds of kazillions of years ago, and developed independently. Neither of them have a, sentient, emotional attachment to Rubi-Ka as Ye Olde Homelande. Neither species knew about each other.

The Kyr'Ozch have developed differently than humans, and have completely different personal abilities, technology and societies. Among the Kyr'Ozch, for example, there are some that are called Channelers, who have strong telepathic abilities and are powerful empaths, passed down in their genes from their origin, the Xan. They are connected to the Source in ways that probably they don't even understand themselves.

When the Beast was first killed, an unknown (but very large) amount of Channelers died from the trauma of being severed from their mental bond with the Source. Those who were online at the time might have noticed a sitecast message that said something about telepathic screams of anguish or something. Funcom sent that server message just as the Beast was killed.

One can then assume the Kyr'Ozch left their home planet to find out what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again. Perhaps they acted on instinct, perhaps there was some internal compass in them. Who knows. Fact is... they're here, and they're upset that the humans, by their very existence, are threatening their own species.
    ~ Aythem ~

- Become an AO tester!

Thanks Aythem. A simple and elegant answer that confirms what I had assumed from the info in-game without meta-speculation.

I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but I like being right.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Thanks Aythem. That's more or less what I suspected after piecing all the elements of the puzzle that is AO lore together.
    Anamelle Marecki, adventurer, leader of Lumen Orien
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Alossa Laurence, beaurocrat, director of Newland News
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Daeranne Smith, engineer, Last Ditch Academy scientist
    Lumen Orien

I never really picked up on that the Kyr'Ozch came from their own dimension. I figured they were just way out in the unexplored deep space in this dimension. Though I guess it does help make the story more complex and give them more of a Kromagg feel if true.

I was always under the impression that during the Cataclysm a huge chunk of the planets (now know as Rubi-Ka) surface layer was ripped off and thrown into a pocket dimension (now know as Shadowlands). The stuff you see in LoX area and other DB instances are things that would of been very deep underground and partially shielded from the dimension distortion.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Funcom employee

Actually, thinking about it more, a combination between what Trousers brings up and the alternate dimension plan makes the most sense - Yes, the Kyr'ozch come from somewhere "else" over in their universe and thusly must travel a long time to reach Rubi-Ka... but why would they switch dimensions *first* and *then* travel halfway across the universe? It'd make more sense for them to travel to the rough location of Rubi-Ka in their own universe and then warp across to our dimension - To the point that it may well only be *possible* to shift dimensions in the rough vicinity of Rubi-Ka due to the spatial weakening caused by the Cataclysm/Shadowlands.

That also satiates my issues with supplies/reinforcements provided to the fleet as well as explains why they aren't striking other targets - They start at their home planet, travel to the area of Rubi-Ka's system in 'Universe-K', and then are able to use the destabilized space there to warp over to our universe. Satisfies time constraints, explains why they aren't hitting other targets, and gives us a good reasoning for their ability to resupply/reinforce the fleet so regularly without our own forces attacking *their* supply chain. *And* it makes it fit with that damnable document, so if you guys are happy with this then I am. XD
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Only issue that might exist would be:

Quote Originally Posted by Omni-Tek CEO Philip Ross
    Good evening fellow inhabitants of Rubi-Ka,

I come to you this evening with grave news. A hostile enemy force from a race we have not yet encountered has arrived in near planet orbit. They have NOT come in peace and mean to take our homes away from us through violent means. Omni-Tek has been aware of this pending invasion for some time and we have been taking steps to prepare for the defense of the planet. This message was triggered to auto run if any of these enemy ships breach our outer planetary security defenses, as I could not keep the population ignorant of this danger. It is with a sad heart that I find myself off planet speaking to the Board of Directors on Omni Prime about the continuing defense of this planet we all call home. But my friends, we shall be strong and def--
    FULL TEXT

If the initial invasion fleet crosses over at Rubi-Ka there would have been no advanced warning since sensors obviously wouldn't be looking into other universes.

If the Aliens were coming from another galaxy inside of our universe long range sensors might have been able to pick them up in advance.

Funcom employee

That was written up after the alien ship crashed out in Hope, however - Could be that they picked up information on/from scout ships that went ahead of the main fleet.

i am *not* letting this go dammit ><
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

A wizard did it!

No wait... a Cyberwizard did it! there!

also the fact that omni-tek has been closely involved in multidimensional research (such as Jobes shadowlands experiment) means its perfectly plausible that Omni-tek may have information from the kyr'ozch dimension as well as any premature incursions by Kyr'ozch scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    That was written up after the alien ship crashed out in Hope, however - Could be that they picked up information on/from scout ships that went ahead of the main fleet.

i am *not* letting this go dammit ><
    A legit point, Sir.

Edta touches an something that I was thinking about last night. The Alien Homeworld is likely the pinnacle of their technology. They may have the technology/device located there which could be used to open a trans-Universal portal.

For the fleet to travel to where Rubi-Ka is would do one of two things:

1) Would mean that the fleet would need a way to rip the portal open once they arrive. It just strikes me that this would be very taxing on an already taxed fleet. Whereas doing it at the homeworld would consume the resources of the planet, and not the fleet.

2) They have a base/outpost/colony world on Rubi-Ka-K or another nearby planet which is facilitating the opening of the trans-Universal portals. This would allow a fully resupplied and reinforced fleet to pour out right on top of RK, which I think doesn't jive with the storyline, since they would likely have just WTFPWNT the humans if that were the case, which it wasn't.

I don't intend to bicker the finer points of this with you (unless you really want me to) but I think both cases can work. I just personally like the idea of them entering our universe at a distance better

Also, I think Kyr'Ozchia should be canonized.

Or, Perhaps, a combination of the two.

This traditional invasion, entering our Universe from their Homeworld, has been simply a harassing maneuver while they setup a base on Rubi-Ka-K. And the Invasion Plans, which indicate that the light is going to be swallowed up and plunge us into The Darkness, is when the fleet pours out of the new entry point located at Rubi-Ka-K.
    Last edited by Trousers; Jul 29th, 2011 at 19:54:45.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    This traditional invasion, entering our Universe from their Homeworld, has been simply a harassing maneuver while they setup a base on Rubi-Ka-K.
    That's...

... that's good, actually. Real good. *jots that down in The List 'o Ideas*
    Last edited by Kintaii; Jul 29th, 2011 at 19:19:17.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    (2007 - 2012)

Why SL isn't finished

May I jump back onto another point?

I'm not sure that I'd agree that the SL story is finished and was sad to hear that you guys consider it "pretty much done and dusted". And here's why:

Thoughout the shadowlands we learn of a conflict that has been going on for eons that echos the same conflicts on we saw on Rubi-Ka.

We hear so much of the sad story of the Xan who destoryed themselves; and of their anscestors, who are still defined by this downfall and whose corruption causes still further destruction to this very day.

We are given hints (that are confirmed in PWH) that this conflict did indeed spill over into our world and for tens of thousands of years, at least, there has been a grand plan of manipulation: That humans were nurtured by both sides with the single goal of returning to the shadowlands and accomplish what the Un/Redeemed have been unable to do since the Cataclysm - regain access to the Source.

The plan went through thousands of years of setbacks and false starts. But humans were finally ready to walk where the other decendants of the Xan could not: Into Pandemonium and to the Source of life itself.

And we did. We got there and overpowered the defences that had been left by persons unknown. We regained access to the power to create and bring forth life, having been closely watched by our manipulators the Un/Redeemed who were waiting for this moment for thousands of years...

And what happens?

The aliens come.

Well, we didn't expect that, sure. But hang on: What happened to the grand plan? What happened to the manipluation of humanity? Surely the alien invasion wasn't the endgame for the Un/Redeemed. Why are they not now battling for control of the Ergo system, or using humans to set up a new conduit to the Source? Will we not learn why humans are special?

We get to the end, the grand climax and I'm reminded of watching Lost... there's a cliffhanger, and then narrative just jumps somewhere else and forgets all about the other things that were supposed to happen.

What happened to the Grand Plan?
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

The Source is omnipresent throughout the universes. But it is strongest at the point in space where Rubi-Ka is located right?

Superman gathers his strength from the Sun but can also slowly die if exposed directly to the sun due to his cells not being able to process the raw energy (was in an animated movie). Could it be that the same thing applies to the Kyr'Ozch having to much exposure to the Source? Could be a reason why they can not enter Shadowlands, or why thier invasion seems to be going so poorly, or why they can't switch over to our dimension directly over the point in space the source is the strongest. The Kyr'Ozch ships seems to be semi organic to maybe they suffer same flaw?
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Ao

The game was best at launch, it is still good..but the brutality and harshness that made it real has been dumbed down severely. I know this is to cater to wider audiences...but it's just a shame it happened. The realness was great for emersion....the story line has gotten so twisted by people making expansions fit in that it is all but worthless. I quit paying attention long ago.....but i loved the original sci fi setting and how everything had an explanation that didn't depend on things magically happening. Please steer this game back to its well designed basics, i know you can never return 100 percent....but adding a few more zones to the existing world and having new loot is all anyone really wants from an expansion.....for a change give us things we can entertain ourselves with.....like the much promised drunken brawling from AoC...that has no drawbacks to our characters. Creatures to ride in Sl...cause all that running sucks....and more whompas ...for the same reason as before. More lvls...not different lvls....Ai was good expansion, adding to it would be a good idea. How about a casino or cards room where we can play a game of cards...how about roller rat bowling? Build robots and fight them.......could be a lucrative high end game....give us something like yalm races....which of course would mean upgradeable yalms...more money sinks...more tradeskills to use..people just wanna have fun..not grind their life away...although that is a part of it. Which has it's own rewards. Hope this makes sense. Hope it portrays to you my thoughts on the matter. Shane.

Hey, Kintaii! I just went through this thread and saw your answer for "Where did the Behemoth go?". I just connected it to an idea I've had this year in april and made a thread in game suggestions. First part describes a possible plot for the Behemoth. I hope you like it, or it is at least some kind of inspiration.

Link to "City of Behemoth" suggestion.

On the phone with Foos, he's going to have an epic addition to this laster, but this is what we found out, which is something to keep in mind.

Beast Died - 03 May, 29478
    Scout Ship Crashes - 08 May, 29478
    Invasion - 01 Sept, 29478

Scout Ship arrived in 5 Days. Invasion occurred in 120 days. Unless I did my math wrong...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast