Thread: The Size of Omni-Tek

The Size of Omni-Tek

According to fairly credible sources We know Omni-Tek employs more than 1 Billion employees. So, my question is - What do you think that number is, and, what percentage of these employees do you think work on Rubi-Ka?

Code:
    Omni-Tek Corp	Rubi-Ka 0.025%	Rubi-Ka 0.5%	Rubi-Ka 1%	Rubi-Ka 3%	Rubi-Ka 5%
    1,000,000,000	2,500,000	5,000,000	10,000,000	30,000,000	50,000,000
    5,000,000,000	12,500,000	25,000,000	50,000,000	150,000,000	250,000,000
    10,000,000,000	25,000,000	50,000,000	100,000,000	300,000,000	500,000,000
    100,000,000,000	250,000,000	500,000,000	1,000,000,000	3,000,000,000	5,000,000,000
    500,000,000,000	1,250,000,000	2,500,000,000	5,000,000,000	15,000,000,000	25,000,000,000
    I don't know of any official source of Omni-Tek's Employee Count, nor, immigration or census data saying how many people are on Rubi-Ka.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

On planet earth, isn't there more than quadruple that number IRL? I had envisioned that a hypercorporation like Omni-tek, who has control of at least one whole planet, would boast higher numbers. Just my opinion, but I have a feeling that number is lowballed.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Funcom employee

Honestly, when looking at the sizes of the current corporations, we'll probably end up needing to do some restructuring when talking about total amount of hypercorps vs. megacorps, as the current list and numbers of employees just... I dunno, don't really feel like they fit right. Either there should be more that fall under the category of hypercorp, or there should be a third category between hypercorp and megacorp to encompass some of the other, larger companies out there (Manex, Gripon, NipponTech, etc. etc.)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Well, (thanks to google) The population of earth currently is over 6 billion. the largest single employer (Wal-mart) employees 2 million people, or about 3 hundredths of one percent of the world's population.

This percentage will obviously be higher on worlds that a Corporation owns, but to what degree I don't know.

Rubi-Ka for example, only a small fraction of it can sustain life. Would it boast a 6 billion population? I'd say that's doubtful. Would Omni-Prime? Likely exceed that.

There's a lot of variables which simply cannot be answered, which is why I am fishing for opinions

My guess.
    50,000,000,000 Employeed.
    325,000 on Rubi-Ka (estimated from 7400 Omni-Trans employees * 11 depts * 4 (estimate families)

Can we get a rough outlined criteria that determines the overall size categories of <insert prefix here> corporations?

I think that will help us gauge what falls where.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Can we get a rough outlined criteria that determines the overall size categories of <insert prefix here> corporations?

I think that will help us gauge what falls where.
    I for one think it's quite fitting as is.

1-999,999 Employees = Corporation.
    1,000,000 - 999,999,999 = MegaCorporation
    1,000,000,000+ = Hypercorpoation.

There are probably trillions of Corporations that exist throughout the galaxy which all compete with one another on various levels.

There there are 23,539 Megacorpoations which probably compete in Oligopoly Scenarios on the larger worlds and probably own smaller planets.

Then there are 5 Hypercorporations, like Omni-Tek, who own entire solar systems.

I think it's safe to assume that if a company is mentioned in AO, and isn't one of the Big 5, it's a MegaCorp just because it has the clout to be in the Omni-Tek Market Space.

EDIT: The above assumes it's not stated that it's a Rubi-Ka Centric or Small Business

That's just my take though.
    Last edited by Trousers; Jul 19th, 2011 at 19:20:24.

I would even broaden things up a bit by offering these:

1. Number of employees and support staff.
    2. Award credentials.
    3. quarterly revenues.
    4. total resources managed.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    My guess.
    50,000,000,000 Employeed.
    325,000 on Rubi-Ka (estimated from 7400 Omni-Trans employees * 11 depts * 4 (estimate families)
    That sounds reasonable. OT would not have millions of people on Ka due to its relatively small terraformed area and most of the prime industry of Ka, mining, being done by machines and automatons. What's left is security, administration, research and support personnel mostly. Even though it's supplying the complete galaxy of notum, it is a rare resource, so 325k personnel sounds quite all right.

I don't remember where or when I read it, but I'm fairly certain OT officialy owns 100 systems, as in solar systems. As for what each system may have representing the Hypercorp... no idea.

I would think some would be with just mining resources with lots of automated equipment and maintenance crew while some would be colonized worlds.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Leileena View Post
    That sounds reasonable. OT would not have millions of people on Ka due to its relatively small terraformed area and most of the prime industry of Ka, mining, being done by machines and automatons. What's left is security, administration, research and support personnel mostly. Even though it's supplying the complete galaxy of notum, it is a rare resource, so 325k personnel sounds quite all right.
    RP-wise most of channel42 is omni-pol, so you could say due to clans (and neuts) omni-tek has a huge security deployment on RK, compared to other systems / worlds
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Quote Originally Posted by playboyfixer View Post
    RP-wise most of channel42 is omni-pol, so you could say due to clans (and neuts) omni-tek has a huge security deployment on RK, compared to other systems / worlds
    I would personally say, Outside of the Omni-Prime System Rubi-Ka is the most fortified planet in the Galaxy at the moment.

When the Aliens launched their invasion more than just a handful of Unicorns were deployed to the Planet. IIRC (and I haven't been able to track down the article yet) but OT was reinforcing Rubi-Ka to such a point that the ICC forbid OT from deploying additional military assets to Rubi-Ka out of Fear they would be used to simply snuff out the rebellion.

Before the Invasion, lore indicates that Omni-Pol was estimated to consist of 10,000 employees.

Using the 325,000 employee number, that would make 3% of the Omni-Tek Citizens Police. Juxtapose this against reality: My local town has a population of 60,000 people and 90 Cops and Police protection is seen as adequate. Adequate police protection is 0.15% of the population. This would make Pol representation grossly disproportionate, but, Omni-Tek does give off that Police State vibe

If I had to say, the lore number of 3% is too high for the time period given, but, considering increased threats from the Clans, Other non-clan Terrorists, and the Aliens, their numbers might be as high as 10,000 today.

Then, the Omni-AF would augment this number above and beyond that for providing Protection, not necessary Law Enforcement.

Hrm, can it be plausible that a company of this size have legislation that enforces a mandatory term of service? After thinking about it, it would seem kinda helpful to have official or paramilitary volunteer services (like the fire department or ROTC) to help support the infrastructure a bit. Something, like say, with a little more clout and order then a neighbourhood watch program?
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I don't recall ever reading anything that indicates conscription into the Military, per se. However, I would argue that there is likely a policy that would state:

"Children born into a household which is provided by the Omni-Tek Corporation are billed for goods and services rendered by the Corporation for the welfare and raising of the Child. The Bill is due in full no later than 90 days following the child's 18th Birthday. Gaining employment with any of the Omni-Tek Corporate Departments will place this balance into deferment for up to 4 years at which time the balance is forgiven."

The Smart Cookies could go to one of the While Collar departments while the rest would go to Blue Collar positions or seek a job in the Armed Forces which almost guarantees acceptance.

That's at least how I see OT walking that fine line between Employer and Government Entity.

That sounds fair enough. I wonder if its something we can manifest, unofficially.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

The numbers do seem abit lowballed...but what if you consider the idea that omni-tek may only count (human)solitus in the population count(excludeing nanomage/opifex and atrox..all "engeneered" humans...for the sake of debate...you can't count a police dog on your countrys census...they are smart..have a job,but not conciderd in the population count...so why should atrox's?
    drgrimmy 220/30 solitus doc(The Noid)

(insert witty comment here)

Quote Originally Posted by drgrimmy View Post
    nanomage
    Nanomage being only able to survive on the notum rich environment of rubika probably wouldn't effect numbers all that much anyways. But that makes me wonder, just what is the number opifex existing?
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!