Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Friday with Means - July 8th, 2011 - IDs Please

Quote Originally Posted by Sente View Post
    Absolutely, although I would say it requires a bit more dedicated effort than an extra few hours every week. And not every problem is so easy to spot if you do not know what kind of trouble you might be looking for or have a good and systematic approach to it.
    But in the end you also still need to convince the people with the money that it is the right thing to do.

A number of companies spent a lot of effort on the Y2K problem years before the end of the previous millenium. This was primarily analysis to figure out what software and systems they had which could be affected by this and the likelyhood for a problem to occur, plus what the impact would be if there was a problem.

Thus a number of systems in such a risk/impact analysis were not considered a justified cost to fix all of them ahead of time, just as a complete analysis of every system was not considered cost justified either.

So while there certainly may have been cases where the problem was simply ignored there were also a number of cases where not doing anything was a conscious decision and may still have been the cheaper overall option even if they had to get people to fix things when the millenium changed.

For the most part Y2K went by without any major disruptions.

But you need to identify the issues and do the risk/impact analysis before you get to the point that you can say that to the business side. And that effort in itself is something you need to convince the business side is the right thing to do.
    Whoch is my point, actually. When AO switched from a short term to a long term MMO, no assessments were done. Noting, just "patch and go".

And yes, Y3K went by largely without a hitch and some companies did risk assessments. A lot did not. I know several freelance coders that made a bundle in 1999 patching databases, because these corporations (not all of them small) did the initial assessments, then 'put off' dealing with the issues until right before, because they failed to prioritize it.
    The Independent Rubikans - The oldest Neutral Org on RK1! 10.5 years and counting!

Namiru - 210/30/58 Neutral Solitus Martial Artist, Advisor - Always accepting new students in the Art
    Thalona - 199/25/40 Neutral Solitus Meta-Physicist, Veteran - Pondering higher thought
    Weefleboy - 150/20/40 Neutral Opifex Fixer, Member - Wheeling and Dealing somewhere on RK.
    Johnnysokko - 60/6/14 Neutral Solitus Engineer, Member - Still trying to twink that Slayer on.
    Keepdafaith - 60/6/14 Neutral Atrox Keeper, Member - IR Temple Services
    Powerbender - 100/6/14 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician, Member
    Deleetful - 65/7/14 Neutral Solitus Adventurer, Applicant
    Lumbergh - 60/5/10 Neutral Nanomage Bureaucrat, Applicant - "M'yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you go ahead and come into work on Saturday...that would be great..."

Hated Y3K! Damn year of the cyborg-puppy attack.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Namiru View Post
    **snip**
    And yes, Y3K went by largely without a hitch and some companies did risk assessments.
    **snip**
    Can I borrow your time machine please? I need to win the lottery so I can pay off some bills.

I'll give you 50% of the winnings (after taxes).
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Damn typos.

And sorry, no. My TARDIS is in the shop for work on it's Chameleon Circuit. :P
    The Independent Rubikans - The oldest Neutral Org on RK1! 10.5 years and counting!

Namiru - 210/30/58 Neutral Solitus Martial Artist, Advisor - Always accepting new students in the Art
    Thalona - 199/25/40 Neutral Solitus Meta-Physicist, Veteran - Pondering higher thought
    Weefleboy - 150/20/40 Neutral Opifex Fixer, Member - Wheeling and Dealing somewhere on RK.
    Johnnysokko - 60/6/14 Neutral Solitus Engineer, Member - Still trying to twink that Slayer on.
    Keepdafaith - 60/6/14 Neutral Atrox Keeper, Member - IR Temple Services
    Powerbender - 100/6/14 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician, Member
    Deleetful - 65/7/14 Neutral Solitus Adventurer, Applicant
    Lumbergh - 60/5/10 Neutral Nanomage Bureaucrat, Applicant - "M'yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you go ahead and come into work on Saturday...that would be great..."

Quote Originally Posted by Namiru View Post
    And sorry, no. My TARDIS is in the shop for work on it's Chameleon Circuit. :P
    Har har.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456