Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the RP in the MMORPG in AO?

Quote Originally Posted by protozo View Post
    The problem with the current storyline is that it's so friggin complicated and convoluted that many players don't even bother understanding it.
    well thats why if you should drop ICC and the whole lease thing it makes things way less complicated also you get real anarchy then instead of the "Clans vs Omni-tek with some neutrals on the side"

to be honest the thing i see lacking in current RP mostly (clan side, RK1) is involvement of the LTC's...

NOW, with this i don't mean they never show up or don't participate, far from... what i mean is they don't really live up to their reputations. Silverstone is the current council speaker, and i've heard that the CoT takes a public stance according to who the speaker is, thus as Silverstone is pro-war, CoT should be pro-war.

problem here is, when silverstone shows up in CoT, he just sits in CoT too listening in, commenting now and then, but he never really tells the CoT "stop talking, gear up, we're going to attack something" or so, he just comes, sits down, and talks... that's what should change really, that the LTC's take up their respective roles against OT, pro-war / pro-peace / otherwise...
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

I'm somewhat baffled by the direction that this thread is moving in...

I'm going to chock it up to Kintaii's Liberal desire to make new solutions and my conservative desire to go back to things that have worked in the past... that may bring him and I to an impasse, but, this is what I am thinking...

Pants' Fantastical 2 Point Plan:

Point 1: Return to the "Good Old Days"

These 'Good old days" are not some mystical things that we can't put our finger on. We can, and it's called Socialfly and Nevarstiyeh. They were amazing Events Directors who operated in a time of far less red tape from FunCom.

Did you know? Nevar would Join the NRPB chat bot on Rimor and just shoot the **** with the Roleplayers? give us heads up that something, somewhere was about to go down, and then let us go find it? "Blasphemy!" you may be saying. "An ARK talking OOC to the playerbase? That's preposterous!" As preposterous as it may have been, it worked. Players showed up for Events. Players showed up for meetings, and generally speaking, he was adored by the community.

Did you know? I owe my entire existence in AO RP (for better for the worse) to Socialfly? When I was but a young nooblet I was sitting in the Trader District of Omni-1, the location that would later become Omni-Trans HQ, and you know what I says to myself? I says to myself, "Pro. (I was called Pro back then) You need to get in on this whole Roleplaying thing. But how do I do that?" So I petitioned.

10 minutes later Events Director Socialfly exploded into the Trade district and welcomed me to amazing world that is Anarchy-Online Roleplaying. He told all about the Events team, the Rimorian Community, About the Table in Newland City and about NRPB. Today, IIRC, Pheats mentioned at one of the OOC RP Meetings that ARK today is forbidden from telling players about the player run bots. This blows my mind.

The community needs a return to communication, Both IC and OCC. ARKs need to be able to have free and open dialog with the playerbase, as long as spoilers are not given out (which to be is a given). And ARKs need to be ready to give the players something meaningful to do when they show up.

Let's not forget that the OAM dwindled from Standing Room Only to 2-3 players due to a lack of missions. Nothing for the players to do == A waste of time meeting.

[Point 2: Tidbits Clearly aren't cutting it.

I'm not going to go into a long tirade here, so I will use a metaphor. If you throw a steak out into a woods populated by 6, separated wolves, Do you think they'll ever find it?

If you tell the Alpha where the steak will be, they can lead the pack to feast.

http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?t=575767

Help organize the community so that the elected leaders can help you build and infrastructure, stoke the coals and get this train moving again.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The way I see things.... after 2004 it seems like Funcom resources for AO went from 100% ("We're with you guys, whatever you need, we'll pay for it") to, what 5%? ("Ok, we know you need a new computer for something, uh... the budget is just enough for you to get a new keyboard, maybe a new mouse, sorry")

Over the years, it's been the players who have created resources for AO.

Item Databases
    Guild/RP/Raid Bots
    Maps
    Custom GUI's
    Voicepacks
    Hundreds of Guides and Tutorials
    Icons
    Videos
    Events
    RP Tools
    RP Publications

No offense to those who try hard in their job at FC, but it seems the company doesn't want to spend the money they have to get things done... which would make the playerbase happier... which through word of mouth, encourages us to get our friends and family to join the game (thus their investment pays off).

Kintaii has a LOT on his plate, so does Means and every other Dev.

It's like an entire restaurant, with just one Waiter and one Cook handling 100 customers and their food orders. Yeah in theory they can serve the food... but some people will have to wait, probably too long and... leave the restaurant. That is what has happened in AO, too much work needs to be done, not enough Devs/Resources to get the gigantic list done.

They've inherited the spaghetti code and the spaghetti storyline.

Combine it all, and it's a mess which I doubt any Dev from any MMO would want to deal with.

ARK... I respect their effort, but just like the Devs... too few, too much to do. Events Team as far as I am aware, is a very small fraction of what it was a few years ago, plus they seem to have their hands tied in many situations because... Funcom wants to protect the integrity of a storyline.. that doesn't truly exist anymore.

I have little hope that anything will be done, because they just DON'T have anyone available to spent the proper time and effort into the storyline. Even with what's left of the ARK Events Team, it won't be enough.

Why not try and simplify things with a REBOOT?

Movies have been doing it, TV has been doing it, now Comics (DC) seem to be doing it, why not AO?

The 2001-2011 (29475-29485) years can be written in small chapters to explain Classic AO and each expansion. Sort of a prologue to what the NEW storyline will be considered as "current". "Prophet without Honour", part 2. sorta.

I'm sure there are other ideas, and alternative solutions, but can they be implemented with what's available right now? I don't know.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Stuff
    You forget that I was a large part of both Socialfly and Nevar's Events teams, and had a much larger perspective over what was happening than you might think. I was also the one who started the habit of and then pushed for official leeway for Events ARKs to *be* on the public chat channels, which for whatever reason seems to have fallen into disuse over the years - Something I'll be rectifying as we go forward.

The only thing you really mention as wanting in your post is (A) greater access of communication, and (B) more information. To point A, I really have to disagree thoroughly - Over the last couple of years communication channels have *increased*, including the creation of this very forum and greater attention paid to the ARK Events feedback email address. We are now a more open team than ever before.

For point B, I can definitely agree to an extent, but I'm not sure where your disdain for smaller portions of information comes from. This is mostly because the "tidbit" style of information dispersal has always been one of AO's hallmarks. Anarchy Online has *never* been a game to hold your hand when it comes to its story, from the bare beginnings through Shadowlands and beyond - Threads like the ones discussing the Codex Clavis are what drew *me* further into the world of Rubi-Ka, in discovering and finding out the story for myself.

Now, if you're aiming to say that "storyline came from ARK Events" then... you're really sadly mistaken on how the working relationship between FC and Events has always gone. The vast majority of the ARK Event-lead storylines players have witnessed over the years have had *nothing* to do with Funcom - They weren't written by FC, weren't produced by FC, and FC had nothing to do with them overall. When it came to larger stuff, then Funcom would provide a brief outline of where they wanted to go (like, say, the shooting of Philip Ross) and we came up with the rest. ARK Events did pretty much the majority of the in-game RPing work, and that was at times when the department boasted 17+ people; these days, Events is nowhere near that size, and I simply don't have the *time* to be on the ground with them all that much.

(i should note that you bring up the OTAM assignments - i'm glad that people liked the missions i created up, and i would have loved to had more, but it seemed at the time that i was the only one actually creating them and eventually ran outta steam; i'm just one man and limited in what i can come up with, particularly while held back with the knowledge that said missions would have to be done without any world-changing alterations [ARKs aren't allowed to run stories that would require FC technical support, such as worldbuilding and so on, due to the potential time constraints it'd place on the already overburdened team].)

Truth of the matter is that Windguaerd has at least a portion of it; to go forward we need to work toward settling out the past. What I'm looking at is not a 'reboot' of the Anarchy Online story; I'm not talking a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" scenario (though if i wanted i actually *could* do that, from a technical standpoint - hooray for the shadowlands). At the same time, we need to make some major changes in both how we handle the distribution of storyline information, and in how the ARK Events team approaches the playerbase.

What we need is to get a better reign on where we are and what we're doing. At the same time, we need to start relying on you guys, the players, to help us fill in the gaps that we cannot cover. For this "new deal" I'm planning, I will need help from every last one of you - Tracking down information, figuring out solutions, even listing NPCs to alter and item descriptions to change and the whole nine yards. It will be hard work, it will be a pain, it will be tedious and probably boring, but your reward will be a moving storyline that you can follow, greater player control over the direction of RPing in-game, and much greater involvement coming from the ARK-Events department.

There will be difficult choices to be had, and problems will arise. But we *can* make this work - I believe in that, and nothing will stop me from at least trying. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

If this is the case, then if/when you are approved for this sort of thing, give me something to do to help out. I'm willing to work with you to get this list knocked out.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    I'm willing to work with you...
    Ditto

Yep, if there's anything I can do, just leave me a message.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that, if there is actual forward momentum, everyone will be willing to assist to varying degrees for one reason or another.

Also, thanks for the lulz in your above post, Kintaii. I really needed it

On the issue of 'Filling in Gaps' I want to remind everyone about the Brainstorming Sessions.

This isn't an Ego driven bump, just reminding folks they can add their own 2c for people to consider and/or Start their own Session threads and I would be happy to add them to the index.

Just poke me on AIM (sottomahoney) if there's an update needed, as with the exception of this week, I usually only log into the forums every few weeks.

Funcom employee

Also, thanks for the lulz in your above post, Kintaii. I really needed it
    After all of the many, many laughs you've given me over the years, it's only fair. =D

And for the record, the 'brainstorming session' type stuff *is* what I've wanted to see more of over the past, and in the future, it's the sort of thing I'll be wanting to put forward to you guys so we can settle some of the outstanding issues discussed before. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

In the spirit of cooperation, I'd be happy to create a new session and begin my sluthing on a topic of your choosing if you wish to present one to get this ball rolling, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I have an idea. I need to talk first to my team and gather their opinions, but either way I feel it's time we all have a meeting. One way or another, we, together, need to start deciding the future of story progression in AO. I'll make an announcement here in 4thW soon and spread it over the various information portals once I've settled on a date/time - Expect somewhere in the next three weeks or so.
    Been a little more than 3 weeks now. More like half a year.
    I don't play anymore, but I think a game like AO deserve a story linel
    Last edited by Gimpeline; Jan 12th, 2012 at 21:15:17.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

I wouldn't bother counting the months. You'll grow a beard and die of old age before things get properly addressed by the establishment. :/
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I've said this before regarding meetings and I feel it may warrant being said again.

It was once asked of me, "Pants, my good man. Why is it that RK2 does not hold monthly OOC meetings like RK1 does?"

My answer to them was that we had an established OOC Chat Channel which was 'staffed' by many of the veterans of Rimor RP. Any time anyone had a question or needed feedback there was someone available to talk to about it, on the spot, no need to wait 3 weeks for an answer.

Rimor rejoiced and life carried on.

Now, I think the same thing *could* apply to the RP Community as a whole. We have this. Nobody freaking uses it.

Weeks on end go by where I am the only soul connected to the channel.

Players need to engage the channel first.

This is a pain free way for players, Active or Inactive, to be able to join the channel. It's what I use and it allowed me to engage players even when I'm playing my other games.

The Bots should be brought back online and promoted by the active playerbase.

ARKs and GMs should be joining this channel with some degree of frequency. It's been years since I've seen a GM or an ARK in this Channel and that's simply not acceptable *if* there are not going to be actual meetings held.

TLR

Players, ARKs, and GMs need to be joining this.

The original project was active for about 3 days. After those three days something must have happened. I logged into it, and barely anyone said anything. I guessed some sort of drama happened (like this is a rare thing amongst roleplayers amirite?) and people had to be sent to the respective corners. After a week of silence I just assumed it died. I never once saw an ARK or funcom employee actually chatting in it. I know that someone mentioned that they frequented it often, but I never saw anything.

I highly doubt even now, with the relatively empty state of the game that this is going to help anything. It would be a small step at best.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Perhaps, Bubba. But a small step is forward momentum, which is probably more then there is currently.

I am going to assume most players use AIM, GChat, Yahoo or MSN. If they do, they can use pidgin to chat and add in the IRC channel so it takes 5 minutes of extra work, you set it and forget it.

ARK have to be logged into IRC whenever they do their job, so it literally should be 0 extra work for them. I am going to harken back to my other post and assume it's a GM Rule preventing them from talking to the playerbase.

Well, you may have noticed that AOU new website... no longer has RP related stuff, even my own dozens of in-character articles are gone. It came down to having to code all this RP features and content for a very small percentage of users and the work... would have pushed back the release of the new site by months.

Lots of the old RK1 roleplayers have given up on FC and ARK for any sort of storyline/RP event or even simple communication (how many times is their e-mail not working? come on).

It would take a big effort (or a new RP AO website which is well designed) for the roleplaying aspect of the game to be revived successfully.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

The loss of that RP section is terrible. :/

I haven't given up on RP myself, I enjoy it too much even in small company.. It's more the lack of time I've had lately which I hope to resolve soon. I think one of the important issues is people's negativity to the situation.

The current mentality is "there's nothing going on, so I won't bother." which is a bit odd. It's not up to ARK or Funcom to create an ongoing storyline, that's just a nice bonus that happened in the past and happens still occasionally.

What we do have is the setting, and an amazing setting at that. There's so much scope, so much depth and quite a lot of freedom to explore Rubi-Ka and the story potential.

I've said this so many times, but if people started creating RP rather than relying on being spoonfed, we might at least have a bit more activity. You don't even need to put much effort into it, just get out there. Do something public and engaging and do it for your own entertainment, and you might end up gaining some interest from passers by.

RUR, for example, was great at this with their crazy events and product launches. It was then the other players that created all the interaction that flourished from it. Sitting here moaning won't achieve anything, doing RP for fun again might though.

It's all about publicity and population. When the population drops, so does the RP. But if you start publicising engaging events and encourage player participation the numbers increase again.
    = Captain "Arthazar" Harcrow (Captain of The Phoenix Fortune)
    = Reporter "Lucetta" Phoenix (IRRK Freelance Reporter)
    = Sir "Sterlings" Furlocke (The Old English Trading Co.)
    = Dr. Malcom "Cormack" Ardman (University of Borealis)
    = "Paulon" McPhasefront, "Georj" Hairyson, "Johnar" Lemon & "Morninn" Starr (The Leetles)
    = "Gridfeed" (Camera Drone)
    = Director "Dartello" Marello (Black-Net)
    = DCI "Validius" Hunt (Department of Investigations)
    = DS John "Streller" (Department of Investigations)

= Major "Jimako" Jones (OTAF)
    = Mack "Teffler" Falloway (Clan hunter/trader)

ARK have to be logged into IRC whenever they do their job, so it literally should be 0 extra work for them. I am going to harken back to my other post and assume it's a GM Rule preventing them from talking to the playerbase.
    ARK have to be logged into ARK irc whenever they do their job, yes. However, the number of ARKs allowed to log into the AO irc is actually fairly limited. What the exact restrictions are on the Events ARKs I do not know, and presumably one of them can address it, but saying "ARKs should do this" and "ARKs need to do this" based on your opinion does not necessarily follow that it is going to happen based on our own policies.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast