Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Friday with Means - June 17th, 2011 - Traditional Friday Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    Nice. Can you sneak over and unlock it? We could all sing "Oh Canada!" in troll harmony!
    Can I? Of course.

Will I? Absolutely not.

He's still my boss, you know.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    Nice. Can you sneak over and unlock it? We could all sing "Oh Canada!" in troll harmony!
    he locked it so the entire dev team can get "first!". it's a conspiracy!

Well I hope he capsizes. How dare he canoe when at best I will be bumping my ass all the way down the river in a tube this weekend. Canada stole my water!!!!!!!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Hannavald View Post
    Ah, yeah birthday patch. Yeah i have no idea how they managed to make it in time.

I mean, it has:

- 3 tshirts
    - birthday armor with stats copy pasted from haloween armor and meshes copy pasted from Nomad Armor/ Agent Ofab
    - Jetpack using mechanics copy pasted from Quantum Wings (MP nano)
    - birthday boss with mesh copy pasted from Bait Gras.
    - birthday event that was so briliantly designed and thoroughly tested, that for first 3 days it was imposible to complete at all, and even after initial crowds thined out, its still such sloppy work, they ended up giving jetpack for free and made GMs manually spawn the boss instead of anwering petitions.

I honestly don't know how they did it in time with such small team. It had to take months of work.
    1. Your list doesn't even list half of what we did for the Birthday and have no concept of how much effort goes into those items. If you find what was provided to be insufficient at least list it all...or even close.
    2. Not a copy of "Beit Grass".
    3. Was completed many times during the first 3 days. Jetpack was always supposed to be free. Even if the torch lasted much longer (easy fix) it still would have been a pain in the ass to take every single alt out there to get one...putting it in the store for free (like we have with other items in the past) just made sense.
    4. Wasn't a GM manually triggering the raid. It was me. Petitions were not affected. Could the raid be better? Yes. Did people (besides you) still have fun? Absolutely. Is the server wide broadcast new feature fantastic and will we be using on future open world content? Absolutely. It was great to have the content automatically inform the entire population that something was going on...not a big code change...but a significant change in how the concept is used. I can't wait to add a 15 minute warning to Tara...or new things we make.

It wasn't easy to get all this done with a small team...especially as we couldn't exactly drop all the other things we are working on at the same time. Getting the engine ready for a live demo, preparing the live event, dealing with 3 seperate server issues in the preceding two weeks etc etc were important too. I really appreciate that you get it...I'd hate for you to be one of those "How hard can it be" people that nobody can stand.

Oops...locked this weeks thread by mistake. I'll fix it.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Turns out the id manager was out of IDs for missions for that dimension. To put things in perpective it means you guys had run through or at least taken 4.4 Billion mission IDs since launch.
    Are mission IDs used up only when the missions are accepted or when they show up in the mission terminal ? If the latter, the beloved clicksaver probably has a part in it.

Is the server wide broadcast new feature fantastic and will we be using on future open world content? Absolutely. It was great to have the content automatically inform the entire population that something was going on...not a big code change...but a significant change in how the concept is used. I can't wait to add a 15 minute warning to Tara...or new things we make.
    Sounds good.
    Last edited by Molotoff; Jul 1st, 2011 at 16:39:24. Reason: to avoid double post
    Forum rule #1 :
    If someone disagrees with you, he is obviously trolling, flamming, or a stupid n00b.

4. Wasn't a GM manually triggering the raid. It was me. Petitions were not affected. Could the raid be better? Yes. Did people (besides you) still have fun? Absolutely. Is the server wide broadcast new feature fantastic and will we be using on future open world content? Absolutely. It was great to have the content automatically inform the entire population that something was going on...not a big code change...but a significant change in how the concept is used. I can't wait to add a 15 minute warning to Tara...or new things we make.
    This is going to be awesome, server wide yelling by Dust taking over control of the announcement system. So many awesome possibilities from that.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Is the server wide broadcast new feature fantastic and will we be using on future open world content? Absolutely. It was great to have the content automatically inform the entire population that something was going on...not a big code change...but a significant change in how the concept is used. I can't wait to add a 15 minute warning to Tara...or new things we make.
    No Means, no. It was not "fantastic". it was "deplorable".

Because of that announcement, a team of 220s could park their butts in Newland City, chat in OOC and wait for the announcement, then when the global announcement went up run out there and OD the people that just spent 4-5 hours farming up the items, leaving them with zip and feeling ripped off.

To be honest, that warning should have been Zone Specific to Newland, Newland Desert, Mort, Broken Shores, and Perpetual Wastelands (i.e. the Zones where people were actually killing Nomads, thus doing the Event).

A global system for announcing SOME things? Good. Having an announcement when the APF is opening, for instance would be good.

Having the announcement for THIS event? Bad.
    The Independent Rubikans - The oldest Neutral Org on RK1! 10.5 years and counting!

Namiru - 210/30/58 Neutral Solitus Martial Artist, Advisor - Always accepting new students in the Art
    Thalona - 199/25/40 Neutral Solitus Meta-Physicist, Veteran - Pondering higher thought
    Weefleboy - 150/20/40 Neutral Opifex Fixer, Member - Wheeling and Dealing somewhere on RK.
    Johnnysokko - 60/6/14 Neutral Solitus Engineer, Member - Still trying to twink that Slayer on.
    Keepdafaith - 60/6/14 Neutral Atrox Keeper, Member - IR Temple Services
    Powerbender - 100/6/14 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician, Member
    Deleetful - 65/7/14 Neutral Solitus Adventurer, Applicant
    Lumbergh - 60/5/10 Neutral Nanomage Bureaucrat, Applicant - "M'yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you go ahead and come into work on Saturday...that would be great..."

Quote Originally Posted by Namiru View Post
    No Means, no. It was not "fantastic". it was "deplorable".

Because of that announcement, a team of 220s could park their butts in Newland City, chat in OOC and wait for the announcement, then when the global announcement went up run out there and OD the people that just spent 4-5 hours farming up the items, leaving them with zip and feeling ripped off.

To be honest, that warning should have been Zone Specific to Newland, Newland Desert, Mort, Broken Shores, and Perpetual Wastelands (i.e. the Zones where people were actually killing Nomads, thus doing the Event).

A global system for announcing SOME things? Good. Having an announcement when the APF is opening, for instance would be good.

Having the announcement for THIS event? Bad.
    Read this as: I didn't get any of it, therefore it's unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    If I removed a thread every time someone complained or griped, this entire subforum would be blank.
    That is SOOOOOOO close to being sig worthy.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by crattey View Post
    Read this as: I didn't get any of it, therefore it's unfair.
    Read THIS as: Obnoxious troll who doesn't even bother to log in and play anymore.

I GOT my Clio. It took around a dozen raids and a week of my life, but my fixer has it now.

That doesn't stop me from noting that the setup from this "raid" is unfair to the people that take the time to farm the items, and that the global message is a good chunk of the problem.
    Last edited by Namiru; Jul 1st, 2011 at 22:58:53.
    The Independent Rubikans - The oldest Neutral Org on RK1! 10.5 years and counting!

Namiru - 210/30/58 Neutral Solitus Martial Artist, Advisor - Always accepting new students in the Art
    Thalona - 199/25/40 Neutral Solitus Meta-Physicist, Veteran - Pondering higher thought
    Weefleboy - 150/20/40 Neutral Opifex Fixer, Member - Wheeling and Dealing somewhere on RK.
    Johnnysokko - 60/6/14 Neutral Solitus Engineer, Member - Still trying to twink that Slayer on.
    Lumbergh - 60/5/10 Neutral Nanomage Bureaucrat, Applicant - "M'yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you go ahead and come into work on Saturday...that would be great..."

Read THIS as: Obnoxious troll who doesn't even bother to log in and play anymore.
    Erm, of course I log in, how else could I be posting under my name? Duh! And I play a lot more than most everybody else. If we still had a postcount you could check it.

Quote Originally Posted by crattey View Post
    Erm, of course I log in, how else could I be posting under my name? Duh! And I play a lot more than most everybody else. If we still had a postcount you could check it.

My apologies. I mistook you for someone who had posted in one of the complaint threads regarding the Anniversary Raids that they couldn't be bothered to log in and try it, but was sure were were blowing things out of proportion. My mind had attribtured that statement to you. However after reviewing those same threads I was in error. It was mistaken identity. Again, my apologies.

However, I still think you are dismissing my post out of hand. I'm not speaking from a stanfpoint of someone going "I didn't get the loot! QQ", but as someone who has gotten loot, and is looking at the system objectively. And frankly it sucks.

Yes having a global message system for SOME events is nice. For THIS even for when Means, a GM or an ARK spawns somrthing, also cool. But when people just spents hours of their life farming up the 5000 items to spawn the Rider,the Globalwarning just lets a team of 220 "Campers" camp in the comfort of Newland City, and dash the hope of the people actually doing the work. And that, as I said, sucks.

My apologies. I mistook you for someone who had posted in one of the complaint threads regarding the Anniversary Raids that they couldn't be bothered to log in and try it, but was sure were were blowing things out of proportion. My mind had attribtured that statement to you. However after reviewing those same threads I was in error. It was mistaken identity. Again, my apologies.

However, I still think you are dismissing my post out of hand. I'm not speaking from a stanfpoint of someone going "I didn't get the loot! QQ", but as someone who has gotten loot, and is looking at the system objectively. And frankly it sucks.

Yes having a global message system for SOME events is nice. For THIS even for when Means, a GM or an ARK spawns somrthing, also cool. But when people just spents hours of their life farming up the 5000 items to spawn the Rider,the Globalwarning just lets a team of 220 "Campers" camp in the comfort of Newland City, and dash the hope of the people actually doing the work. And that, as I said, sucks.

I'm dismissing your post out of hand for pretty much the same reason; I figured you for one of the people who just came here to complain about not getting their free ride to epicness.

Keep in mind though that this is just a single event designed for 'open world' ddwhoring. And yes, this favours the people who just form a team of pimped out 220s and take the loot. 'Working as intended'.

You may not like it but well, that's just tough. Not every aspect of the game can, or should conform to your preferred playstyle.
    To therefore conclude the entire message system sucks is a bit rash, I reckon, and puts the blame where it doesn't belong.

p.s. I didnt participate. What I meant was that I am still logging in to the forum , the most active game environment within AO. Nearly the same graphics, but more people and better PvP! None of my posts hinge around actually having participated though, so it doesn't really matter.

Beit Gras or Bronto, the point is the same, its a copy-pasted content.

Whether it actually took months of work or 5 minutes of pressing keys with one finger, i don't really know. Last time i checked it was normal for a customer to assess a service for final results , without taking into account how hard it was to do. I'm not quite sure why you are so defensive about it, when people are just pointing out flaws in initial design of the event.
    Last edited by Hannavald; Jul 2nd, 2011 at 23:03:13. Reason: typo

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910