Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 3rd, 2011 - Thanks to a busy team

Quote Originally Posted by quieter456 View Post
    Since reverse knockback will not work as a name for this new mechanic, can we call it Ketchup?
    LOL! I totally would sign on this.

Reverse knockback is Ketchup, but we still need some sort of mustard ability. Can't have one without the other ----->

http://alittleblackbook.files.wordpr...-n-mustard.jpg
    Last edited by Ctrlaltwin; Jun 4th, 2011 at 09:48:58.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by quieter456 View Post
    Since reverse knockback will not work as a name for this new mechanic, can we call it Ketchup?
    sure as long as we can call roots "Liquor"

Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    sure as long as we can call roots "Liquor"
    I think it's only fair that everything has a "code name"

Reverse knockback - ketchup
    Detaunts- mustard
    Roots - Liquor
    Snares - pain killers
    Doubles/triples - laser guided missiles
    Healing - KOOL-aid
    Means - Batman
    Kintaii - Coffee guy
    Last edited by Ctrlaltwin; Jun 4th, 2011 at 10:02:01.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Dunno about you, Ctrlaltwin, but where and when I come from Kool-Aid has some rather unfortunate or entertaining implications that are the exact opposite of healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    Dunno about you, Ctrlaltwin, but where and when I come from Kool-Aid has some rather unfortunate or entertaining implications that are the exact opposite of healing.
    Please do tell your unfortunate/entertaining implications.

Cause where I come from, Kool-aid es #1 drink in da hood. I guess that could be unfortunate and entertaining.

In all honesty, the healing animation made me think of summoning a big glass of kool-aid so the kool-aid man would come. OHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

I keep thinking when...
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Mustard is the mechanic that occurs when a fixer sees an NT, or an enforcer sees a soldier.
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

Funcom employee

I should note that this is not reverse knockback; technically "reverse knockback" is already available in the game (it is literally the knockback function just run in reverse), there's just no player support for it yet (rebalancing, coming soon, so on and so forth - you know the rest by now).

What Macro is working on is some brand new goodness - We've made mention to it before in some of our posts regarding certain melee classes and the rebalancing.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Years of waiting a new engine and you guys make just a t-shirts us

Edit: engine seems kinda coh chests, never happen or open...
    Last edited by Cyreidan; Jun 4th, 2011 at 13:35:20.
    Junfanlee 220/30 Martial Artist - Deranden 200 Froob Martial Artist
    Cyreidan 170/24/42 Adventurer - Daylate 110/12 Doctor
    Deraldon 100 Froob Fixer - Haroshan 90/9 Agent
    Deretham 65 Froob Enforcer - Malberan 36/4 Enforcer
    Forselling 25 Froob Trader - Talishon 21/2 Trader
    Forsidexp1 14 Froob Trader - Imwhoim 1 Froob Agent

President
    of Fist and Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrlaltwin View Post
    Please do tell your unfortunate/entertaining implications.

Cause where I come from, Kool-aid es #1 drink in da hood. I guess that could be unfortunate and entertaining.

In all honesty, the healing animation made me think of summoning a big glass of kool-aid so the kool-aid man would come. OHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
    See Jonestown for the reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonesto...s_in_Jonestown

They used the Flavor Aid but same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    What you think a list of what's been accomplished is a bad thing?
    It is when it's more or less the same stuff they've been talking about doing for months/years.

Just about the same as saying, "Yeah, we finished some heads" or "Yeah, we've fixed some things with the engine."

In the end it says absolutely nothing about their overall progress, which is what most people actually wish to hear rather than poor predictions on timetables that we've been fed for years now.
    Last edited by Johnnykay; Jun 4th, 2011 at 15:47:52.

would've been nice to have a visual progress bar of sorts on the website or every week in the fwm, where each goal in the chain, as its accomplished moves the bar from 0-100%. (there might be 20 overall goals, or there might be 1000...who knows).
    regardless if new bugs and problems creep in all the time for the Devs, and what looked like an hours work initially, may take a week to sort out. that doesn't change the initial goals for completion.

an engine progress bar would solve a lot of issues with people wanting a timeline, or progress report on where the engine sits. and if it bounced around, going up and down as problems occur and new goals are added, at least players would retain confidence that there is an actual schedule (not time-based, but milestone based), and not monkeys on typewriters kidding!
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

</trolldevs> Make progress bar, leave constantly changing between 98% and 99%.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Worldofalts View Post
    would've been nice to have a visual progress bar of sorts on the website or every week in the fwm, where each goal in the chain, as its accomplished moves the bar from 0-100%. (there might be 20 overall goals, or there might be 1000...who knows).
    regardless if new bugs and problems creep in all the time for the Devs, and what looked like an hours work initially, may take a week to sort out. that doesn't change the initial goals for completion.

an engine progress bar would solve a lot of issues with people wanting a timeline, or progress report on where the engine sits. and if it bounced around, going up and down as problems occur and new goals are added, at least players would retain confidence that there is an actual schedule (not time-based, but milestone based), and not monkeys on typewriters kidding!
    Would have been absolutely great from the start, but given that every few FWM includes Means or Devs saying, "Oh, so we found something we didn't know existed in the game today and had to fix it" I really wonder whether this would have had any accuracy. Not to mention I don't know if they even have any clue how much is left to be finished.

Means should go into politics. Threw a wall of text at us that says absolutely NOTHING.

C'mon stop screwing around and give some friggin info thats real and viable.
    I dont need a long list of thanks you's to your team. Do that crap at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venachar View Post
    Yes. I'm a total idiot. Please don't quote that last sentence out of context
    Well Duh lol.

I have chronic dyslexia of the keyboard..

Zen.

For those talking about a progress bar on the website, you do realize that you are referring to the same website that has references for the "current" status of things on RK3, a server THEY shut down how long ago?

The right side of the official homepage is showing that Clans are actively holding the majority of the towers on RK3, as of today.

Want the latest server news? It is from 2009.12.14

Need to manually download the the latest update? It is version 18.3.7_EP1, yet we are on 18.4.4_EP1

How about the latest featured content? It is from 2007.11.06

Guess what the official website states is Coming Soon™? 18.4.2 Preview - Ringing in the Holidays!

Want to know the latest information in Knowledge? It is from 2008.06.26

How about the latest in The World? It is from 2007.03.31

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

If the official website has "new" material that is over 4 years old, why would someone visiting the website for the first time want to download multiple gigs of what appears to be a dead game?
    Last edited by Tazalanche; Jun 4th, 2011 at 19:58:02.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by ZenWon View Post
    Means should go into politics. Threw a wall of text at us that says absolutely NOTHING.

C'mon stop screwing around and give some friggin info thats real and viable.
    I dont need a long list of thanks you's to your team. Do that crap at work.
    I generally try not to direct my annoyance directly at any particular personnel at Funcom but I do agree with the people that stated, last week, that maybe Friday with Means should be on an 'as needed' basis.

I read this week's and was sorta like "huh? why is employee recognition (which is generally internal communication at most companies) being done in the weekly communication to the customers?" It really seemed to be an odd place to give thanks. I mean thanks is nice in any form but I personally don't really care about who is doing what within the team.. just looking for some info on when things are hitting a test server.

In my opinion, funcom really needs to stop communicating things 'in the works' but not complete enough to be included on the test server because intentionally or unintentionally they are setting expectations for things to be done Soon (which is within a reasonable time by industry standards...after communicated to the public) and we all know that never happens in AO.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    </trolldevs> Make progress bar, leave constantly changing between 98% and 99%.
    thats assuming its almost done. if players had a good idea of how far they were goal-wise, not time-wise but just how much is on the "planned" table, I think people would be less apt to lose patience and say that Devs are breaking promises, or that the engine is vaporware.

I simply suggested the most dumbed-down and simplest form in which that progress can be translated to the playerbase. my last statement about the progress bar jumping around is my attempt at humor over how the playerbase already sees the engine progress unfolding. it looks like its almost done, then a few months later it looks like there's a year left. then half a year later the engines being talked about as if its nearing completing again. having a progress bar just stops people from using the Devs words against them, which in reality, is the Devs fault for being far too optimistic, every chance they get.

and btw, Trolling: Trolling is posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant.
    Last edited by Worldofalts; Jun 4th, 2011 at 20:35:16.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I generally try not to direct my annoyance directly at any particular personnel at Funcom but I do agree with the people that stated, last week, that maybe Friday with Means should be on an 'as needed' basis.
    The thing is is that different people define "needed" differently.

In the end it's up to Means and Means alone how often he wants to post and what he posts in it. Just because people in the community want it to be only "the information I want" and nothing else doesn't mean that's the way it has to be.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    The thing is is that different people define "needed" differently.

In the end it's up to Means and Means alone how often he wants to post and what he posts in it. Just because people in the community want it to be only "the information I want" and nothing else doesn't mean that's the way it has to be.
    Yes, thank you for stating the obvious.. it will always end up being what Means decided. I was simply providing my feedback.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast