Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 6th, 2011 - Thank you and farewell to Metaing

Funcom employee Friday with Means - May 6th, 2011 - Thank you and farewell to Metaing

Way, way back in 2007 a brilliant man, Michael Jensen who we all know as "Metaing", took a break from his career as a processor architect to indulge his passion for Anarchy Online and bring his significant help to the project. On Metaing's first day he was able to suggest more efficient ways of developing our encounters and tweaking our systems. I remember thinking how lucky we were to have someone this sharp interested in helping us and again marveled at the world of Anarchy Online and how the players would pull together and do anything to preserve and improve that world.

Metaing's presence was immediately felt as he very quickly gained proficiency in our tools and even began to work on code improvements. At first (as lead designer at the time) I would approve the tasks/issues he was interested in handling one at a time..and as he ended up spending an inordinate amount of time at my desk I realized I was only slowing him down. I'm reasonably certain Metaing removed more than 1000 issues from Anarchy Online that would have bugged us every day since in his first year with the project alone. Some very visible Metaing additions would be adjustments/improvements to pet behaviour, changes to the pet window and the creation of the Tradeskill slider...other improvements to AO made by him are simply too numerous to mention but I can assure you that you probably can't play for an evening without enjoying the benefit of something he fixed. 1000's of small things that people from launch remember less than fondly no longer happen because of the tireless efforts of this man. The creative out of the box thinking he brought to the project he also passed on to future designers like Lindelu and Genele spending considerable time in developing their skills for the future of the project. We are extremely grateful for the time Michael spent with us, and now as he looks to return to his previous profession we wish him enormous success and prosperity. We hope to catch him on Test Server now and then when he finds time to visit

Any difficulties or adversity he faces he can now smile calmly to himself and think "This is nothing...I worked on Anarchy Online".

With the sad departure of Metaing we have some enormous shoes to fill here on the team and will be looking for someone to help us bring AO through the next ten years. Contact me on the forums for details on how to apply. Applicants must have time and space, mild megalomania and have a cape.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First!!!111 zomg!!
    Btw, could you give out any info on rebalance and progress being made? when will we get a peek at some new documentation? whatever it may be about
    Last edited by swedoc; May 6th, 2011 at 16:27:10.

first BAH post waiting ftl!
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Uh, no docs then?

FIRST! (If you delete a few replies..)

Nice vehicle...

Bye and good luck to Metaing
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

4th or whatever and can I haz Metaing's Pocketknife?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

last, and goodbye meh-tang (thats how i used to pronounce the name before i was corrected). *waves*
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

I first read it as michael jackson not jensen, and i was like WOOT!! he didn't die just went to work on AO!! then i was like, oh jensen...nvm.
    byebye Metaing

First page!

Sorry to hear you leave, Metaing.
    Thankyou for all you've done for AO and the community.

(I can has job?)
    Last edited by Xyphos; May 6th, 2011 at 16:53:12.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Funcom employee

And here's the German translation of today's FWM.

GL Metaing on ur new journey

Friday friday, gotta get down on friday.

Goodbye and good luck Metaing
    Sleincour 220/30/70 Opifex Martial Artist
    Patientis 220/28 Solitus Doctor
    Ingha 220/30 Solitus Bureaucrat
    Zizzla 150/20 Opifex Martial Artist
    Grobian 142/12 Atrox Enforcer
    Svengoran 127/15 Atrox Soldier
    Illxlll 102/10 Nanomage Nanotechnician
    Psicharpax 100/6 Nanomage Metaphysicist
    Sleina 100/7 Opifex Fixer

Veteran of the Scandinavian RK1 clan guild ..:Nordic Alliance:..

First page?
    Lordran 220/30/70 Soldier, Equip

Enfoosz 200/22/42 Enfo
    Fixxet 170/21/42 Fixer
    Nanolin 165/15/42 NT
    Ilonta 150/18/36 Doctor, equip

Bye bye, pink styg! (Which is how I will always remember you)
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

On right day ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

true first page
    Shuzzy bureacrat

Farewell Metaing! May life bring you all the blessings you deserve! We will miss your Purple Stygian's and appreciate all the creative work you have done for us.

Good luck in all things you do Metaing, thanks for improving our game experience
    220/30/70 Martial Artist
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    A Rubi-Ka Story - youtube
    TRB Presentation Video divx | wegame

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast