Thread: Balance at a Glance: A Summary

Balance at a Glance: A Summary

When we consider "balance" between two different profs, should we be considering the ultra ultra ultra twinked out rarity, or, should we consider an average setup, or, should we consider something lesser, even, than average?

The reason I ask this is that certain profs, once twinked out FULLY, are much more in line with "Balance".

Consider:
    Here are my definitions of ultra twinked, average and sub-average:

Ultra twinked: maxed out (using every item in game to achieve super specialized setups), trimmed IP, superior perk setup

Average: AI armour, nearly top level symbs not maxed AI levels, moderate weapon/offensive setup, all nanos, well thought out IP distribution, good perk setup.

Sub-average: Less than 2 pieces AI armour or lower QL, symbs/implants appropriate for a toon several levels lower, weapon twinking skills lacking, usage of subpar weapon, most usable nanos, possibly faultly Perk distribution.

See, the problem here is complex. an absolutely maxed out toon will usually not only have superior weaponry, AR, damage dealing capacity, better prof knowledge, better swaps, better items, better defensive knowhow, better perk selection, but, will have the skill necessary to execute more complex maneouvers in order to better his own position resulting in moderate success against stronger professions, even well twinked stronger professions.

On the flipside, an average toon may have a fairly good setup, but, lacking subtleties which may enable him to capitalize on opponents weaknesses, or minimize his own toons shortcomings through the use of more complex (or rare) equipment configurations inevitably lead him to feel inadequate, or even dominated when playing against stronger professions.

Finally, a sub-average toon will be systematically relieved of PVP points due to being non-competitive against stronger profs in similarly weak setups.

Now, the problem I have is this: If you take an ultra twinked out toon, and pit him vs an ultra twinked out toon of a different class, 9/10 times, the difference will be VASTLY less than when you pit an average toon vs an average toon of a different class, or a sub-average toon.

Consider: due to the way scaling nanos and perks work, it is obvious that all profs are only meant to have access to nanos and perks at a certain level which have been designated by FC's previous developers.

HOWEVER: some armour, and weapons which do not have level locks are, provided the footwork is done prior, able to be equipped at levels far below their INTENDED level. (such as QL 300 ofab, for example).

RESULT: Incredibly, some level of balance is achieved due to the scaling armour bonuses of some profs (note the extreme AR benefit of 300 keeper/soldier OFAB, compared to say, advy OFAB)

HENCE: while nanos and perks are at one end of the extreme for ease of use for several profs, the required mechanism for balance is at the extreme OTHER end for some profs.

Now, following in this train of thought, we can easily categorize which profs have balanced, inadequate or OP'd nano/perk/Procs/equipment

The reason why we should do this exercise, is to help develop an understanding of where certain profs need support, why they need support, and, WHY other profs are far excelling. Ideally, some subtle improvements and nerfs could result in well rounded profs at each level (range). I can't do for all, but, here are a few simple examples that I'm familiar with:

TL2-3 enforcers:

nano: OP'd (access to 2nd mongo, 3rd rage, challenger, access to strong buffs early on for 1hb/2hb)
    equip: OP'd, (access to silken legchoppers, excellent ofab options, chef cleavers, chirops, panther, howlet - some of the best weapons in game, and available very early on)
    Procs strong, but balanced, shrug off hits, while not OP'd is extremely effective for mixed damage types. Combined with duration and chance to recharge before it's worn through, makes it incredibly useful.
    Perks: balanced (usually coon and one damage perk, taunt, w/e)

Obviously, combining OP'd equip and OP'd nanos and very strong procs and good perks results in an extremely effective prof choice.

How about keepers at TL5

Nanos: sub-par: poor scaling, big holes in defence
    equip: OP'd, while incredibly difficult to achieve, equipment configurations available to keepers is, without question, well OP'd. (with SE helm, ofab shoulders, 300 ofab chest, sleeves available with good twink effort, keeper can achieve nearly unparalleled static AR)
    Procs: balanced/slightly sub-par (4% reflect saves procs from being sub par, but, in general, not strong enough to really provide much support, too many holes in the evade proc)
    Perks: balanced-strong: while keeper at this level is short changed for the number of perks NEEDED, the perks available are well balanced if not slightly strong and work well with the class. Coon works well with the moderate amount of reflects available, with good AR reaver is useful, with enough AI dings, you can utilize some offensive actions and defensive.

Overall, this prof should be balanced, provided a HUGE amount of effort to equip top level gear, and, in my experience it is actually quite good, once that effort has been put in. PRIOR to that, however, the class is sub-par, with gaps in nanos, procs and perks insufficient to make up for a sub-par gear setup.

At TL 5, advy is the polar opposite, consider:

Nanos: OP'd: leader of the pack+wolf providing the maximum evade rating of any buff available at TL5, option between wolf, sabre, very strong heals, etc.
    Equip: Strong-Balanced: reasonable selection of weapons with some strong options, particularly SSOS.
    Perks: OP'd: access to coon, AR, dmg perks and acrobat makes advy easily the strongest of all profs in terms of perk balance, high level AI levels provides access to 3 strong AI perks which open access to better equipment, and make up for any shortcoming in AR.
    Procs sub-par. nothing really to speak of here that adds significant benefit.

Combine Op'd nanos, perks and strong equip choices, and you've got yourself a hugely OP'd class - not only that, but, since nanos and perks supply the majority of the power, you can have a very competitive toon with nearly no effort.

Please post what your experience is of other level range/ profs in the same format
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Apr 28th, 2011 at 00:47:20.

I can do another.

I have a 110 MP. While I usually choose "tough" to play profs, this one kind of arose out of necessity of needing buffs on another account. I ended up with a set of lowbi arith bots, and decided to twink it.

I've currently got an very strong evade setup with asmodian shield, some creation staff (I didn't go for parry stick), full set of 161 CS and a QL 238 sureshot glasses, NMTC, sandy goos, moon ring, and MP ofab ring. In most pvp, this toon is quite good. the only problem I've had is 126 enfs, damage in 150 BS vs 150 twinks (out of pvp range) is weak.

Nanos: OP'd. best RK pets, 210 AAD shield, good nukes, excellent self buffability
    Perks: weak-balanced low/no support on 1hb with perk damage, PVM wise really suffering, static modifiers are too low, perk distriubtion is not very useful.
    equip: strong, with creation weapons available, namely, SoA
    procs: balanced nothing doing a ton of good, but can help conserve nano during nuking

Overall, prof is quite strong with decent healing and a low HP setup. pets are reliably good at tower DPM, but get snared and then it's very tricky to manage them in actual pvp. nukes are useful, and high nanoskills mean even after draining, I can still keep nuking with second highest RK nukes.

The lower level you go, the tougher this exercise becomes.

Clearly, Gatester has shown the entire AO community that traders, in fact, at level 1, are by FAR, FAR, FAR and away, the most powerful prof. Just based on NCU capacity alone, trader can achieve vastly more powerful setups than any other prof, period. By placing such a possible extreme in the lower ranges, it throws off balance moving up in levels until some equalizer is possible.

Just what does that mean, though, and what is the equalizer?

Roughly speaking, until a class can achieve enough NCU to gain all the same OSB's, they will be clearly inferior to traders.

Therefore, generally speaking, traders>>>all, prior to level 21 (at level 21 I say because that is when dark dreams, dark memories and more importantly dream mesh and GCB open up, and, for their requirements provide quite a lot of NCU) at which point all (maybe not shades?) can equip these NCU items and have enough NCU to recieve most OSB's.

Between level 21 and about 110, I have fairly limited experience, save the enforcer I've been hard twinking at every stoppage point, and, attempting different weapon, armour, skill setups.

I'll do another one though, one I'm more familiar with:

150 GA4 Fixers. Giit will want to do another one for non GA4 fixers, since his experience will be different.

150 GA fixers
    nano: balanced-strong. The combination of long hots, short hots and relatively few buffs works well, some snares are actually much longer than they need to be, resulting in disproportionate mechanisms required for removal (note the 4 second recharge on FM's).
    equip: balanced-strong. GA 4, clearly, has it's uses. It's not overpowered, though, remarkably, due to locking out every armour spot resulting in lower than average AR. the GA4 backpiece essentially garauntees the defensive mindset/playstyle.
    perks: OP'd. Remarkably, despite most fixers entertaining very standard perk setups, there are some other setups that utilize aspects of the fixer toolset which are, for the most part, hugely forgotten.
    procs: balanced-strong. backyard revitalization is without a doubt a huge boon to defensive play, with good chance to proc it's fair to say that BYR will pop during any tough fight.

Ultimately, the GA 4 fixer is without a doubt overpowered. The balanced buffset, arguably OP'd debuff and CC set, paired with extremely good defences and a OP'd perk setup, the GA fixer is nearly an unstoppable defensive force. Of particular significance is that there really are only two profs who can reliably stop a GA 4 fixer: obviously NT and trader. Otherwise, this prof is the go-to prof for defensive play. I recently tanked 5 non-NT/trader profs on my 150 GA4 fixer during a tower defence for probably 5-6 minutes, and finally just meeped when I got too close to dying after all defences had worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    I have a 110 MP.
    very strong evade setup
    damage in 150 BS vs 150 twinks (out of pvp range) is weak.
    o'rly?

i have a 220 shade, very strong dd setup but evades is weak. rebalance so i can have both good offense and defense!
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Apr 28th, 2011 at 09:54:45.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

While the individual assessments of a profession at a specific level are telling, FC's approach to the rebalancing isn't really taking that into account ... yet. I feel for players that want to expand the relevant professions at any particular level (especially in the <Tl4 range). I do think that it will change, even just from the nanotools FC are changing. Will it expand? I'm uncertain. It depends alot on FC's approach to OPed perklines (NR) and very specific abilities like Comp Lit buffing. Imagine how many more balanced PVP scenarios would exist without those two things.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Clearly, Gatester has shown the entire AO community that traders, in fact, at level 1, are by FAR, FAR, FAR and away, the most powerful prof. Just based on NCU capacity alone, trader can achieve vastly more powerful setups than any other prof, period.
    My level 1 trader is certainly impressive, but it has only gone far enough to prove the potential twinking capabilities of a level 1 trader and not its performance in comparison to all other professions. If I had the time and inclination to do so, I believe a level 1 agent would be exceedingly superior to a level 1 trader, and that other professions at their best could not only compete but possibly outperform my level 1 trader.

Now on another note, I do think the capabilities of some professions far exceeds what should be possible and traders are one of those professions. That being said, some of these possiblities are rather irrelevent if someone wishes to try limiting them, afterall just how much can my level 1 trader actually do that would merit devs cracking down and nerfing it into oblivion?
    Last edited by Gatester; Apr 28th, 2011 at 18:19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    My level 1 trader is certainly impressive, but it has only gone far enough to prove the potential twinking capabilities of a level 1 trader and not its performance in comparison to all other professions. If I had the time and inclination to do so, I believe a level 1 agent would be exceedingly superior to a level 1 trader, and that other professions at their best could not only compete but possibly outperform my level 1 trader.

Now on another note, I do think the capabilities of some professions far exceeds what should be possible and traders are one of those professions. That being said, some of these possiblities are rather irrelevent if someone wishes to try limiting them, afterall just how much can my level 1 trader actually do that would merit devs cracking down and nerfing it into oblivion?
    Good point gatest, the point isn't that because a level 1 trader has vast potential, that it requires cracking down, the point is that it's been done, and as a result, we have a starting place.

If level 1 traders>> all, then, it stands to reason that until something changes at level 2 (or 3, 8, 20, or 21 or whatever level) that traders will still be superiour.

Every prof I play is balanced. Every prof that faces me is OP.

you guys (johnnykay, wolves) are wierd.

Here's another one.

It's for a 150 soldier.

Imo, this is a very interesting class, despite the perception that soldiers are just a 2 button spam machine.

I've currently got a full blown add damage/FA recharge setup on this toon, with khaeler sleeves, a few pieces of supple, RBP, electrophoridae gloves, energy aruls, energy dmg rings, purple hud. barrow strength, Motr, token board... all the stuff that adds quite a lot of add dmg.

AR is pretty low at around 1300-1350 or so, but, because this toon is for PVM, it doesn't really matter. What is interesting though, is the class itself at 150. IMO, there are several quite different interpretations of the power of soldiers, but, I will just provide my perception of them.

150 sold:
    Nano: strong balanced: TMS 10 has very low reqs, and is an unusually strong nano. FAT makes up for the otherwise somewhat low 60 AR mastery buff. FA and burst buffs are good for this level. SL replenishing reflects for self and team work nicely. RRFE+OMHH are a reasonable alternative to the cyclical nature of TMS ups and downs.
    Perks: balanced-weak: you can either opt for defensive setups with more healing and genius 2 for more spamming nanocasting, or harder core Assault rifle AR for better harder hitting PVP setups.
    Equipment: balanced-strong: soldiers, when you put the work in, can be very strong, with good twinkability for some breeds, soldiers at this level can achieve very good levels of static AR despite having only moderate gains in perk strength and nano. Combining different armour sets (T3 shoulders+ofab+AI+RK armours) can result in very strong builds.
    Procs: slightly weak. I honestly would expect soldiers to have an option for defensive reflect procs like engies and keepers. It seems to fit with the toolset. The AR and add damage is ok, but the 300ish health/3HD proc is pretty bloody poor.

Overall, a nicely balanced class where support is available.. Survivability however while soloing, is rather dissapointing. With nearly unparalleled survivability during TMS, the effect once TMS drops is disgusting. However, where survival is patchy, damage is quite good. So, it seems to even out.

From my vast experience from TL1 to TL5 I can say that lvls 100 are most balanced at this point - Apart from Shade, you wont be able to see so close duels/fighs on twinks every profession (and I tried it all). basicly, FC should see why/how its made and expand it further in lvls, because curently its a lot to learn and discover in that metter.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

*Sigh* Having armor that costs more then a toon can hold is considered Average or Sub-Average. No one sees a problem in this?
    Proud member of New Order since 2009.

150 Sold's awesome to play, whether it comes to PvM or PvP tbh. In a decent PvP setup, you can reach 1,8Kish AR (much more with Cond and such though), and if you take some time to practise, it can perform incredibly well!
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed