Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - April 8th, 2011: In The Meantime

Now we know why a 68 trader can land nanties first try on nr2 toons.

Cool story!
    As a programmer and project manager I can totally understand why the Nerf Table was implemented.

Please just get rid of it completely and most things will make sense again. You are re-doing all the nanos anyway in the re-balancing so just do it right this time and get rid of it.

:-)
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

too much text to read.

Where is agent doc?
    Pheddex 220/30/70 trox agent equip

Pheddy 220/30/70 soli crat equip

Pheddette 164/19/42 opi trader equip

Lavidaloco 150/17/30 opi agent equip

Tinytall 200/25/70 opi advy equip

Believe it or not, the existence of such a 'hard-coded' table with artificial nerfs to pre-SL nanos nad been widely considered very VERY REAL by those of us who ground level 201 without any Shadow-exp gain faction bonus.

How was it not obvious to the Funcom staff boggles my mind.

Hope there isn't any "secret nerf table" on the new engine coding pace ^^
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Interesting story. And Someone buy Waldgeist a drink ffs. Poor guy.

One question:

Seeing as this nerf-table is apparently responsible for things like complete heal causing a lot of aggro in SL, various nanos not working well or even at all and such.. Do you plan to keep these things working the way they currently do after you "gut" the nerf-table or will these nanos now work the same way in SL as they do on RK and such?
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Oops, I accidentally a whole nerf table
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Whut?

So AO's devs haven't realy cared about documenting code in early days? Somewhat this keeps popping up time after time?
    Welcome to real life.
    Where stuff needs to be done yesterday.

Caring has little to do with it.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Interesting story. And Someone buy Waldgeist a drink ffs. Poor guy.

One question:

Seeing as this nerf-table is apparently responsible for things like complete heal causing a lot of aggro in SL, various nanos not working well or even at all and such.. Do you plan to keep these things working the way they currently do after you "gut" the nerf-table or will these nanos now work the same way in SL as they do on RK and such?
    I'm not going to say that *all* of the... er... "functionality" of The Secret Nerf Table is going to disappear in the rebalancing (i say this because, again, i don't even know what all the damn thing *does* so yeah). If there's something we feel we need to keep around, though, we'll do it properly through the stat/item/nano balancing, and not through evil, bad hax0ring. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

To make story short ....sloob are now powerful? ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

...did he just say devs didn't know heals do taunt in sl?
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Funcom employee

I'm saying they knew, they just never knew *why* until then. SL behaved... strangely. And with AO being, y'know, *AO*, it could have been any number of things. They're just lucky someone managed to stumble across the thing. XD
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

I call dibs on the Secret Nerf Table title.

Wasn't expecting the TBoD but it was a good read. At least now we know why a lot of these things work the way they do.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc View Post
    I call dibs on the Secret Nerf Table title
    Change it to Secret Nerf Table Dancer.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I have this thing about not staring into the heart of madness whenever I can avoid it.
    Considering how often you talk to me I wonder that!
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Hm, difficulties provided by predecessors and then people expected to fix it without all the proper information. I have a similar story a few people might enjoy.

So, at my work at a Head Start program for the children of migrant farm workers in TN part of my work has to do with data input (yes I teach and stuff as well) and I did one of the worst things you can do, volunteered for a big project. The big project I offered my director was to make a master inventory list so that items that go "missing" can be sorted out along with the various classrooms and storage units to be sure we know where everything is.

My director decided that was unnecessary (which is annoying considering I am the one handling the inventories and would find it very useful) but she decided to offer me a different task...similar to what I proposed but far far ffffffffaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr more time-consuming...the Itemized Inventory for Replacement Cost list. The list is a master inventory of sorts but with a catch, it includes the prices of the items as that is the point of the document.

This would not be very bad, as I do have a list of inventories for all the items in our center except for a set of "tiny" flaws:

1) The list is from 2003 and has had NO additions in 7 years.
    2) NOTHING on the itemized list and inventory lists have the same names...I have to investigate almost every item in the center.
    3) Most of the items on the inventory lists are made-up names by the teachers and thus can be similar to another item without me knowing.
    4) The list is over 3000 individual items and the list could get longer.

And what is the real problem here? My director, being somewhat familiar with data input I suppose, expected me to have a completed list done in about 3 days.

Needless to say, if people do not keep things straight over time you will run into those "landmines" left behind by others.

For over 5 years I have always had a sneaking su****ion there was a "nerf table", keep digging, you will find the super secret "toon nerf table" where blacklisted toons have -10% to absolutely everything they do because they upset a GM

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    You know what I would do? I would delete the table or make it's values null, and put it on test ... see what happens. Just for fun.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post
    Since you're already going through the code... after you're done with The Secret Nerf Table, mind giving us the Attack Rating vs Defense rating formulas please ? And an accurate AR to damage too ! (IIRC there's different AR % values used for different professions, pretty related to the rebalance too...)
    and defiinitely also this. having 2750 mbs for a trader is really like having 1200~ effective AR for dmg, which sucks.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

An exciting read! Who knows, maybe there's a Secret Pet Pathing Bork Bork Börk Table in there somewhere, it's just called SPEED_ADJUSTMENT.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    So, at my work at a Head Start program for the children of migrant farm workers in TN part of my work has to do with data input (yes I teach and stuff as well) and I did one of the worst things you can do, volunteered for a big project. The big project I offered my director was to make a master inventory list so that items that go "missing" can be sorted out along with the various classrooms and storage units to be sure we know where everything is.
    Given the recent state of affairs in Tunisia, I am not surprised if items have gone missing
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Ever since I found Improved Projectile Magnet on Auno, I suspected the SL Dev Team never finished half of what was intended.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast