Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: young, stupid, and illiterate

Thumbs down young, stupid, and illiterate

While the total population is shrinking,
    Rubi-Ka seems to have an ever increasing percentage
    of its playerbase comprised of young (8-13), stupid,
    illiterate, 1337-speaking, highly annoying players.

I swear it wasn't this bad a year ago.

IMO this is the direct result of Funcoms many attempts to
    dumb-down the game. You lose players who like complexity.
    You gain idiots. Net result = no additional profit, more headaches.

This may sound like a bit of a pointless rant,
    but the people you have to play with are a big part of the game.

alternate version

evin tho many ppls dont play tis game no more,
    i c lots more of ppl how sux.

i liked it more when u cud use sploits and FUncom
    didnt now cus i was 2 goof 4 thm to catch but now
    all this peepl do it too.

my friend play AOLnow too and its kewl evn tho he's a ***.

y dun u listen i bet you don even read ths bords
    i say u shuld mke PvP everywher. carebares shold stfu
    and funcum if donti will quit!!1@!!! and nerf traderz!!!!

One more time.. this time in english.

<grins> I agree to what you said, and I got your 2nd post. Somehow it reminded me of something I saw on the PvP forum, perhaps it's just me.

I am just glad that AO has an /ignore feature and that the guild I am in is not full of hyped up teens.
    Lovio - 140+ MA of the Mercury Dragons
    Maiu - Gamma Ejector wielding trader maniac - also loves to tradeskill and doesn't eat babies.

I totally agree, but for somewhat different reasons.

I think AO's playerbase has increased lately, not declined like some whiner-types would have you believe. I see as many people now as I did just after launch. And, yes, the idiot population has exploded on Rubi-Ka as well.

Still, that's nothing new. EQ had the same influx of oxygen-thieves about a year and a half to two years in. Whole areas of the game were almost intolerable to be in due to the lowlives that tended to infest them and the chat there with incomprehensible emissions of text (Rivervale anyone?).

Ignore is a good thing, but I miss the /d option in responding to complete morons accosting me in various banks around Norrath. Ahh, well...

I agree with most of what you're saying. Too man folks that appear to be new to the game communicate in what could only be called gibberish, but as someone once pointed out to me, English may not be their first language.

Another thing to consider is how can the population be shrinking with SO MANY new people aboard? If anything, I believe that the population is growing again. The levelling process with my latest alt (and reading the newbie ooc channel) is strong evidence of that.

My policy about giving money away still stands to these newbies, but they always get priceless advice from me: Clicksaver, QL10 concrete cushions and omni med suits. Next day, all of them are millionaires. 'nuff said
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

even people i know who hate l33t language starts to use "r" instead of Are and "u" instead of You...its really annoying
    Eldridge "Thewanderer" Shelling
    Clan Martial-Artist
    3305 Local Diplomat

Originally posted by n0th1ng
    even people i know who hate l33t language starts to use "r" instead of Are and "u" instead of You...its really annoying
    This is one wise man, folks. Listen to his words.

And 'ey- I'm probably younger than you think ;P
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

You're not too young for a good toe sucking maul, you hotty hot hot hot
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

When people use expressions like "u", "r", "pls", "thx" they're not necessarily using it because they're young or whatever. It's a common tactic used by people who type slowly, or never learned to type at all. Personally I couldn't imagine using a computer without being a touch-typer but hey, whatever floats your boat.
    Ionicdude - In it to win it no matter how you spin it

Too bad SWG has been delayed until next year...

That would definitely clear out the 12 year olds.

stfu, I r l33t j00 guys are st00pid idiots and my dad can beat up your dad... stfu

you tell 'em Z560...
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

Originally posted by RVWinkle
    When people use expressions like "u", "r", "pls", "thx" they're not necessarily using it because they're young or whatever. It's a common tactic used by people who type slowly, or never learned to type at all. Personally I couldn't imagine using a computer without being a touch-typer but hey, whatever floats your boat.
    My opinion: If you can't communicate clearly and correctly, why should I bother to listen to you? (Non-native english speakers excepted, of course.)

Or, to quote the Patrician: "Learn the words."

Edited because every spelling/grammar rant must include a misspelling.
    Last edited by Kenlon; Oct 14th, 2002 at 10:13:05.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Originally posted by Kenlon

My opinion: If you can't comminicate clearly and correctly, why should I bother to listen to you? (Non-native english speakers excepted, of course.)

Or, to quote the Patrician: "Learn the words."
    Can't communicate? Hmmm...I am not the fastest typer in the world...so I sometimes use these tactics when speed is needed.

If you can up to me for a buff, while I am in the middle of a conversation, would you like to sit there for 3 min till I get something typed for you? Or, would you rather get a short stupid message acknowledging your request? I know most people aren't very patient in this game... Typing is a form of communication, yes. But not a primary form of communication. So to us, non-typers, it is a non-practiced "language", kinda like those non-english speaking people you refer to.

So, please come off you high horse and smile once in a while.

Yeah, I catch myself using "r" and "u" and prolly lots of other short versions....when you have 3 ppl talking to you in vicinity, 3 on tells, and someone asking for something in guild chat, it's easier to use these short versions.

Nothing to do with leet speak or bad english...it's just easier when you're stressed.

*Had to go back and rewrite 3 "u's" *
    Animoy - Lvl 220 Soldier on Rk-1 - General of Legion
    Athillon - Lvl 162 Engineer on Rk-1 - Member of Legion - Nerf Engi button in creation room - Sleeping

While I would never use 'u' or 'r' I do use thx.
    As a computer professional and a 40-50 wpm touch typer I still enjoy a shortcut now and then but not if it reduces communication to grunts and snorts.
    I think there is a breed of 'punks' who think its cool to use 'l33t sp33k' and while they are busily slapping themselves on the back celebrating their cool factor the rest of us just sigh and type /ignore...

Mega^|3io
    I'm 13 and I'm hardly a whining, poorly speaking, and dumb person. Well, only a bit...

The point is that you can't really judge someone based solely on their age. Sure, most people are immature brats at my age, and I won't deny that (and I won't try and act like I'm super-mature or anything ), but not everyone is like that. So, I suggest you don't make such broad stereotypes to an age group.
    ~Chris

/highfive megabio :P

And yeah, here's the only stuff I've caught myself using:

thx, rdy, l33t, w00t, h00t h00t

Which, frankly, ain't that bad. GO GO GRAMMAR RANGERS

Now, unlike Megabio, I am an utter rambling FOOL, but that's another story...
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

I use plenty of abbreviations and acronyms for teamchat and coordination in a combat scenario, but not in general speech.

r2r, rdy, clr, and so forth.

I at least try to use punctuation and capitalization in-game though. Hehe.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast