Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Think of the Froobs

Quote Originally Posted by GCBacon View Post
    rotflmao....most froobs I meet are Elitist against paid players. I'm betting paid subs generate more revenue than advertising. BTW getting adverts is based on total pop not just froob pop. There is zero benefit to balancing endgame AO for froobs. The froob program is to give ppl a trial of AO, froobs are just lucky there's so much content available for them. If FC listens to the elitists of AO(frood or paid), then the pop will never increase to a decent size.
    1. i never specified who was being elitist nor said that it was ok for one side of the debate or the other should continue to act this way. all of it should stop.

2. whether paid subs generates more money the advertisements or not is really immaterial. if advertisements are based on total number of players froobs up the number and thus up the money. not to mention that most new paid players start as froobs.

3. i never said balance the end game for froob. i said that i think fc should upgrade froob friendly content, which would also be a bonus for paid player. and that fc should not cripple end game froobing. not crippling =/= balancing.

4. i agree that the froob program gives a ton of gaming, and more importantly i agree that fc shouldnt listen to any of the elistist.

Quote Originally Posted by GCBacon View Post
    The froob program is to give ppl a trial of AO, froobs are just lucky there's so much content available for them.
    You do realise that the froob game used to be the whole game, right? It's not a 'trial' and was never designed as such.

And I'd like to QFT what Ahndra says here. Because I'm one of those such froobs and can count 3 others in this thread, that I know of, and dozens more ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by AhndraCorvid View Post
    I count at least 3 such high level froobs who have since gotten paid accounts posting in this thread alone, at least 2 of which have made fully endgame level 200 characters, and know of a bunch more in-game.
    Tacharnan - 220/27/70 neut Advy, NEPA [s]
    Argo - 210/23 neut Fixer, NEPA
    Argottus - 183 omni Fixer (froob)
    DrZhivargo - 153/11 neut Doc, NEPA
    Tacharkeep - 150/9 omni Kipper
    Argoleech - 106 omni Tarder (froob)
    Argomp - 73 neut MP (froob), NEPA
    Tachargo - 55/6/14 neut Fixer, NEPA

RK2 | TLFivePlus | Omneut

I've read every post in this thread, i dont understand where either side gets their attitude towards each other from. I've been a froob in 2004, to 2006, then paid from 2007 to now with occasional breaks - its easy to see froobs AND paid players are equally as valuable.

It shouldnt be about deciding who is more worth or in the right for this arguement, without the froob program many of these paid players wouldnt be playing the game (like myself), and without the paid players - you get the picture.

I LOVE seeing level 200 froobs, they for me are the hardcore players of this game - and they dont moan half as much as the paid players, but you might say 'why should they, they're not paying' froobs are integral to the survival of this game, financially and as part of the community, they generally have more patience for the new players.

P.s a long time froob friend of mine upgraded just before i wrote this post
    Wake me up when West Athen is full of tl7 pvp again!!

Just to give my tid-bit on the situation, I have a 172 froob MA that i love and care for dearly. The froob program has in fact worked, because I have a paid account (my MA is still froob). If FC wants to change nanos without froobs in mind, they can. Did they say they were going to remove froobs from the game?
    Last edited by scyper; Jul 7th, 2011 at 02:24:51.

As a Froob I'd like to point out that I have paid cash to use the mail terminals on my account and to get the Death Rider bike on it too. I can't upgrade at the moment due to time/resource issues but one day I will. And "the full game" involves SL, OFAB armour, perks, Sector 10, player shops, Keepers, Shades, Lvls 201-220, and a whole host of nanos/armours/weapons/equipment Froobs can't touch but I look forward to playing with ONCE I have the time, hardware and other things sorted out on RK4. Froobs put bodies in the playing zones, eyeballs for the adverts, and suggestions on the forum.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Not matter what FC does, there will always be froobs.

Imho FC should not waste what little dev time they have on froobs. This is not froob h8, this is a paying customer who wants his hard earned $$ to go towards HIS playing expirience. The froob project was supposed to be a "teaser". Not a career choice.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

I feel like if subscription payment can somehow be translated into the world of AO, this prejudice could make some nice RP. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    The froob project was supposed to be a "teaser". Not a career choice.
    No it wasn't. It was meant to generate revenue from advertisments. And apparently it was successful. (This isn't meant as flame, more like a slight adjustment of your wisdom )
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Obviously paid content comes first as that's the highest source of revenue. But not everyone starts out with a 200+ alt and any RK content will be Froob friendly by definition. And we'll need that to keep the new players we'll (hopefully) get and as I say more eyeballs means more advertising revenue meaning more development. Honestly, the bottom line is: We Need More Content To Get And Retain More Players.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrule View Post
    funcom has stated they are not keeping froobs in mind during rebalance.
    Hellrule i would like to get THIS information from the source. Would you like be so kind to show me where i find it, please?

@ Topic
    Froobs are your groundbase to earn money FunCom.

I can confirm this information. The main concern of the rebalance was the late TL6 and TL7. This has been said. All nanos/items changed along the way are balanced keeping only the higher levels i mind. That does not mean we are getting hit with a huge nerfstick, BUT it means we dont get some important features (like the NT nano weaving thing). Basically for the balance, the very same as for the engine applies: It's done when its done. And its then how it was done. Point.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Have you ever noticed that when a player will ask about where to hunt, what weapons/armor to upgrade to, etc., etc., the first answers will always be directed at fr00b players. I.E., where to hunt = cyborgs. Then you'll occasionally get someone to follow up with "Are you paid or fr00b?".

That alone tells me where the balance of paid vs. fr00b is.

Most paid players today start as frobs, they need a decent experience to be hooked in and converted.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

I agree with whoever stated the opinion that AO should go back to the trial-account days. I started the game on a 14 day (think it was 14) trial account that included all existing content (which was Notum Wars and Shadowlands at that time). Obviously I decided to remain on board.

I think the attitude (if you can call it that) that some people have against froobs comes from the fact that when the froob program first started people would help out froob players (just like any others) only to find that since they didn't have a financial interest in the game.. they'd leave without word. Now granted, paid players have always done the same thing but my experience has been that someone with a paid account tends to stick around after I've offered help (usually time spent helping with information, showing them around, newbie starter kits, etc) than someone with a froob character.

After having many experiences where people seem legitimately interested in the game only to disappear after 3 weeks or so without word (where org resources have been untilized) people began shunning froobs. At one point people would specifically state that they were looking for paid players when doing their org recruitment spam in OOC (or set level requirements of 150+ or 175+ to insure that their new recruits were semi serious about the game). Of course there are other factors that also contribute to some form of discrimination against froobs and that includes the fact that leveing on RK in comparison to many areas of SL is simply slower (and no I don't need a run down on how to powerlevel on RK...I know the tips and tricks). Additionally, a paid character quite often will have better gear (weapons) and thus teaming with a froob can really just seem like you're dragging them along for the ride at times.

Of course all that I've said are generalizations based on my personal experiences and things I've personally observed in game. I have nothing against froob players.. but I do understand where some of the perceived negativity comes from. We see the same thing in many aspects of the game.. take the situation on RK2 between Neutrals and Clan (won't go into it) or even what people call elitism.. when a vet doesn't want to be bothered with teaming with half-assed 'leveling characters'. Sometimes we see the end result (the perceived negativity, hatred or discrimination) and forget the root cause. Many of us pay to play this game and if it isn't fun we don't do it. I'm not going to level on RK just to hang with froobs if that means my leveling time is going to go up 4 fold (exaggeration...maybe).

All of that being said.. I only support upgrades for froobs as it pertains to my personal experience with the game. As long as froobs cannot enter shadowlands I really couldn't care less regarding their experience because it isn't going to have much effect on mine.. and I do pay for the game.. 2 or 3 times over. I support ideas like letting froobs enter SL without ANY additional benefits of the expansion because it would give me more people to play with.

Most of the froobs that I know that are LONG term don't have paid accounts due to RL financial restraints.. not because they don't want the better/enhanced game experience that comes with paying. I don't think any amount of 'extras' thrown their way will change their RL financial situation so I'd rather any dev time be spent on things that help paying customers. Then, ofc, you have the folks that claim that they are froob for the challenge.. well far be it for me to suggest taking that challenge away.. I know I'm personally annoyed with the lack of challenge in many end-game encounters. I'm sure there's also a decent amount of folks that use the froob program as a trial before they make a decision to buy.. and well I think they get enough as is to be able to make that decision without any additional extras.

I mean, realistically, anyone that can tolerate the new player experience and lack of population that exists today for longer than a week or so probably has seen enough. For anyone that's ever seen the movie Pretty Woman.. remember the part where Richard Gere discusses opera with Julia Roberts? I think AO is the same thing. You either love it from the moment you start or you don't.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jul 9th, 2011 at 16:10:14.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Thank you, TraderJill for saying what I've been saying from the POV of a paid player! I'm a froob due to RK4 issues. Also haven't time to play save for mammoth sessions about the end of the month. So once more... Paid Content Gets Priority: it's where most of the revenue comes from. Froobs Do Contribute: not much but every penny from paying to use the mail terminals, adverts etc helps. Froob access to SL WITHOUT upgrades (still can't use anything flagged "Must have SL Expansion Pack) sounds like a good idea. It'd be nice to go squish somewhere different. :-)

Free access to SL would make all froobs quit the game 5 minutes after they set a foot in Scheol.

Nah! Getting squished in new and interesting ways is half the fun! The other half is finding out if you can run away without rubber banding...

I think froobs should get as much attention in updates and such as the share of revenue they generate in the game.

Being more specific, it's not clear to me how the OP thinks that FC hasn't redone the nanos of all professions without keeping some semblance of the core game (the game froobs play) in mind.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

@ Obtena

Main Issue i see for Froobs will be the Nanocosts on some stuff like Heals and Mongo.
    The Costs seem to be scaled towards TL6 & TL7 Full Expansion Players with above average Gear .
    Froobs of all Breeds and even SL-only Toons of some Breeds will really struggle to get enough Nanocostreducer and Nanodelta to not be permanently addicted to Stuff like PNH and IOR.

Id even say the Rebalance will hurt new Players with Full expansions and force them to not be in "Fun" Orgs but to join "Elite-Raiding " Orgs , might sound funny to many Oldtimers but try to see it from this Point of View :

Not every new Player initially finds its Way into a good Org where he revieves mentoring and help getting Gear his Toons would need to prefrom decent even by todays Standarts .

Simple Test :
    Pick yourself a dozen TL3 TL4 Tl5 TL6 Adv / MA / Doc / Enfo Maintoons from some Noname Org and tell them to Chainheal and Chaintaunt while you observe the Nanobar in Teamwindow .

Sure you can teach some of those Players about "Regain Nano"Perk & Hardcore CPU Upgrade and the odd bit of Nanocostreduce on some easy to get Armor which will help a bit to manage their Nano .

Now take a rough guess what the Toons would actually need to constantly maintain thier nano in rough Teamed or Soloplay and ask them if their Orgs ever does the Raids required to obtain those Armors , Symbiants and check the minlevels for the public raidbots ... you cant count Stuff like GPH for a 130 Main if some Botleader decided to set minlevel to 205 for Public Tarasque .

Today they have a Chance to level somehow to 100 and farm Foremans Guards for GA/NS or go Sector 10 solo there to buy Lootsrights/Symbs/Combined etc.

Now crosscheck todays Nanocost with those in the Rebalance Documents and do another rough guess how many Mains are gonna be in big big Trouble when the Changes hit Live because they constantly run out of Nano when they attempt to solo insideForemans / Sec 10 and how much more time they will have to spend there if they grind the Creds while teamed ( if anyone even bothers to invite submediorce Toons and do fair Splits ) .........

PS : I do take Pride in mentoring my Recruits and getting them decked out with all the Nodrop-Phats the Toon needs , but i dont see too many Orgs doing this kind of Service for their Newbies ...
    Last edited by Dollcet; Jul 14th, 2011 at 16:22:16.
    MA 4 Life ... No matter how hard you try, you can't put us down.
    -----
    I dislike Multiboxes , Makros , Programmable Keyboards , Multiple Actions to 1Key-Binds << all of them simply do not fit my Idea of Gaming-Skills/Competition-Ethics .
    -----
    Dear Developers for Future scaling of Items & Nanorequiments please consider that :
    -there are Players below 220
    -there are Players without Towers
    -there are Players without full Org-Benefits
    -there are free Players

Those nanocosts are being changed for everyone. The costs aren't scaled to anyone. They are seemingly outrageous for even paid up endgame players as well. I can't help but think that is either a global mistake and it will be fixed in the second release or it's intended to make nano a more significant aspect of the game. Either way, nano scarcity will impact froobs and paid players.

From the documents I have reviewed (not all admittedly) I see that generally, there is a sharp spike in nanocosts for post QL 200 nanos. I do think the sub 200 crowd has been thought of in the revamp.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast