Thread: will players team more in pvp post rebalance?

will players team more in pvp post rebalance?

this is not a request, nor a suggestion, but merely some babbling on my part about pvp (blah blah), and some questions posed to the playerbase and devs in general about team pvp vs solo pvp in ao; post rebalance.
    (if tl;dr, than skip to bottom of post)

Ok. so, from what I've seen in rebalancing efforts so far, there is a gentle push towards teaming in pvp. its not a forceful push that says "you will have to team to be effective" but more of a "you will be less effective soloing than before (with the exception of a couple profs imo)."

I don't claim to be an expert in pvp mechanics, but its obvious that from reading through rebalance discussions for many of the professions, players still talk about pvp in the context of 1 vs 1 pvp, and not about the ramifications of team pvp (at least not enough to be noticable).

So, without really giving it much thought, I can easily say that my only reason for going Hans Solo in pvp is to up my solo pvp score. yes, granted sometimes its also for that little bit of epeen and feel good one gets from taking on 3 players at once without OSBs and ripping them all a new one, but like most people I'm usually running around with a whole wack of OSBs anyhow, so its not much different than being teamed in that regard. knowing I've gotten x number of kills on my own because my solo score says so is where the epeen for some may lie i suppose.

Post rebalance (from what i can see thus far) its a different story to some degree. yes, you can still get OSBs, and they will last longer, but a lot of good ones are either being removed, nerfed or being made less effective in general (again with a few exceptions like icrt having 100 aad, wrangle with its 4hr duration, mop with its 4hr duration etc), or some team buffs are getting a nice improvement (with exceptions).

Getting back to a good reason to go Hans Solo in pvp, and leading up to the questions.

Much to the flames i will likely get from very hardcore title farmers, i have often wondered how pvp would differ in ao, if there was a single pvp score that accounted for both solo kills and team kills. duel scores can be left out, they are fine as is and are meant for 1 on 1 pvp. but for everything else, if the Dev's are really geared to getting players teaming up more for general pvp (not referring to towers or org fights), would it be a good step to take, in merging the team and solo scores together, into one "pvp kill score?" obviously, as pvp is right now you would always be trying to get the 'dream team' together if pvp score was based on 'all pvp kills' regardless if teamed or solo, and in places like BS, if you are one of the 2nd choice draft toons, then you are SOL if you wanna get your kill score up. however, post rebalance this may change (should change at least), and the 2nd choice picks may be again effective in a team role, and the single pvp score concept might have merit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now obviously, I'm just one player, but i pose these questions to anyone reading who has 1 or more solo/team kills on any toon:

Do you think people would team up more in general pvp (bs, city pvp etc..) if there was a single kill score, instead of the 2 (team/solo) that exist now (again excluding duelscore for obvious reasons)?

do you think it would be possible to implement? ie - if implemented, solo and team scores combined together on all players, and new top pvp rank of level 20 (lets say) put in place.

or

Do you think i would be impossible to implement? ie - solo and team scores might get deleted in process, and many players who have 5 or 10 or 20k solo/team kills would quit or /wrists.

do you think this would kill pvp? ie - hardcore title farmers feeling less respected because not all the kills in their score are clearly their own.

again, this isn't a suggestion, as its something ingame that already exists in a working form. and its not really a request because at this point it would be nice to see the arguments for or against before pushing for it myself (again, just one player here, so not alot of weight getting thrown around). also, there are many who would love to see the old pvp title system come back. this isnt really a thread for dicussing that idea in particular, but more to discuss the ramifications of merging all pvp kills (minus Duel kills) into one score.

discuss
    Last edited by SoapTarder; Feb 20th, 2011 at 07:03:13.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

It will be 6 man advy team, each in different form. End of discussion.
    Xarr 220/30/70 Atrox Keeper
    Xarrdas 220/30/70 Solitus Engineer
    Wrathwithin 220/26/70 Atrox Agent
    Drimarcus 220/22/60 Opifex Shade
    Mycurse 214/18/42 Solitus Soldier
    Backend 150/20/40 Opifex MA
    Leethium 200/20/60 Opifex Bureaucrat

imo the balancing should be based on 1on1 duels and not on team vs team pvp. every prof should have a chance to kill any other prof in 1on1 depending on personal equip + skills. but funcom will never be so smart to balance it this right way. if you see the yet released documents it will be much more imbalanced in 1on1 than it is actually. duelling some profs will be pretty useless^^

combining solo and teamscore sound good. people would team up more often ofc cause they dont have to care about solo kills. it wont effect pvp that much. who cares about the kills and score anyway? it´s a nice to have. but no big impact if you still can see your kills...
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

Balancing 1v1 is like 10 times easier then balancing 6v6. And by balancing 1v1 it will greatly improve 6v6 so what i see there is Logic Fail from FC...

Quote Originally Posted by MyGift View Post
    Balancing 1v1 is like 10 times easier then balancing 6v6. And by balancing 1v1 it will greatly improve 6v6 so what i see there is Logic Fail from FC...
    It's a lot easier to cop out by saying "we don't balance for duels" and give everyone AS and /assist and call it "team pvp".
    Waiting for a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGift View Post
    It will be 6 man advy team, each in different form. End of discussion.
    Dont forget your complimentary shade!

:P Remove /assists and we could have more teamwork.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

remove solo kill counts and people will team a lot more imo...

Quote Originally Posted by Sama View Post
    remove solo kill counts and people will team a lot more imo...
    Remove all kill counters and give us back old school pvp titles!