Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Tour of the Shadowlands [6MB of images]

Press Tour of the Shadowlands [6MB of images]

Anarrina and Prevention were kind enough to show some Professionals and their guests the Press Tour of the Shadowlands, a seldom-offered tour whose origins predate SL's release, and which includes going to a few spots which can't normally be reached. I thought it was interesting enough to warrant describing here.

The tour showcased some of the sights of the Shadowlands, from Jobe to Adonis. The screenshots were cut down from 1600x1200 .png files that were collectively almost 90MB, to 6MB of .jpg files.

Tourists and ARKs/GMs gathered in ICC. while waiting for stragglers, some ARKs got bored:

Once everyone had arrived, we were taken to Jobe Research.

For another view of Jobe, Anarinna took us to her Jobe Luxury Apartment, so we could gawk from the balcony.

Then people began jumping on her bed.

So we were expelled to Ergo in the Wailing Wastes.

From there we were taken to a vantage point of Nascence Frontier which can't normally be reached.

Then to a little floating island in the west of Nascence, showing the Brink.

You can see part of the Nascence Wilds, where the Lord of the Void hangs out,

and the wall bordering Brawl.

The island itself has some interesting features; a throne and dining table that would look at home in Camelot.

Once we'd admired this curiosity, we moved to a vantage point over Brawl. You can see the little island we were on in the distance in this pic.

We paid a visit to the Prophet,

hopped over to Silence in the east of Nascence to see the Ecclesiast,

then moved up to Elysium.

Xan architecture was showcased via some ruins in Elysium,

and contrasted to the Redeemed architecture of Utopolis,

and Enel's Garden.

We hopped through the Garden of Shere,

mildly unsettling people who'd just hopped through gardens of the wrong faction. I wish more people had noticed us, but Ana wouldn't let us run around making a fuss.

Next, we visited the Yuttos camp near Utopolis,

pausing to admire the nearby Falls.

We went to Upper Scheol,

where we inspected a Xan Notum Mine (which anyone who's done the Scheol Jobe Scientists quest will consider themselves overly familiar with).

Thankfully we didn't have to climb to the top of the structure ourselves.

Even though we were warped there, it wasn't fast enough to stop one ARK getting bored again.

We were shown a glimpse of Lower Scheol,

before moving on, to Adonis City.

Then we were shown what I found to be the most interesting part of the tour. The Spaceport in Adonis. Most of you have probably run underneath this thing many times, as I have, without realising what it actually was. It still has an intact, but unfinished, Ark ship on it.

The Spaceport's second platform is empty.

We even got to inspect the ship up close!

Here's a view of the ship you'll be more familiar with.

The ship from landing pad 2 didn't make it far, of course.

I've run over it more times than I could count without realising what it actually was.

Officially, that was the end of the tour, but being the good sports that they are, our tour guides started taking requests. Here's a view at the entrance of Adonis that you don't normally see.

Another view of Adonis City,

two more shots from a ridiculously high spot,

and a shot showing where those last two pics were taken from.

Hope you've enjoyed the pics half as much as I enjoyed taking the tour :-)
    Last edited by -Stage-; Jan 17th, 2011 at 06:56:38.
    <Lazy> who knew ao f*rum denizens were such homophobes?

Lordstage Free to do anything
    Byracka iddqd
    Battlespork Eats what he kills
    Bloodforbaal Utter bastard
    Pinealgland Too weird to live, and too rare to die
    Dagenham Radioactive courier
    Fascinated Elderly nature enthusiast

*jaw drops* That was a amazing tour!
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

For some reason, I was the only prof on RK2 that wanted to take it. It's an amazing tour with a lot of good information - I'll post some of my pics once I stop being lazy and resize them. I got a lot of pictures of the detail that goes into making that giant speartip building in Ado.

Nothing gives you the lay of the land in Nasc Wilds quite like the view from the banquet hall island, and the screenshots don't do the spaceport justice.
    Last edited by Berinda; Jan 17th, 2011 at 07:37:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

i took this tour saturday night, it was amazing. still can't believe i missed that damn space port all this time >.<

i took a total of 117 screenshots

maybe i'll post some of em if i get around to stopping the lazyness

Greetings

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

Gotta love the throneroom thing there, it actually looks exactly like it might be where that portal at Excalibur's End leads. This is especially amusing if you were at the fan meet up where this question was asked and Means looked flabbergasted

I hope we can take it again sometime when I can come :|
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

This game obviously needs jet packs.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

That was amazing thanks for the pictures! I bet that tour was fun to be on
    Wake me up when West Athen is full of tl7 pvp again!!

Thanks for sharing, some really nice views

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    This game obviously needs jet packs.
    This.. or let my mp fly in sl at least

WTB a pocket ARK or something to be able to teleport to such places to enjoy the view...

If only the devs would have time to create something like a "scenic tour" that leads through a select number of such normally unreachable places; wall them off with some restrictor (an invisible wall or something) and put a teleporter pad to each location which pops up a list of the available "vistas" in the given zone to teleport to.

Oh, and if these screens are here to stay, someone should poke Kintaii to add this thread to the stickied Reet's Bookmark post.
    Last edited by Honorbound; Jan 18th, 2011 at 09:27:49.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I can do that myself, actually. ARK forums magic and all that.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

super cool.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

cool pics.

one question for -Stage-, what font are you using for your chat in-game? looks very very nice!
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

I uploaded about 40 screenshots to http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/Berinda83/, but here's some of my favorites.

Far out view of the banquet hall island, and the building it's inside of.

Overhead view of Nasc Wilds.

Intricate symbol on the back of the throne.

Here's an hour accessible by foot in Ely. It's a great view, just view never get to see it because leveling doesn't take them out that way.

A pretty impressive view of the spaceship.

A view across the way to the redeemed temple from the top of the spaceship. Seeing that temple from the north heck spots is one of my favorite views in the game, and I'm glad I got this different perspective on it.

Standing between the spire tops on that tall building in Ado. Also a tasteful glimpse of my toon's bottom.

A sense of how high up that is.

A really impressive shot of a corrupted notum feed coming out of a sinkhole.

Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

This is all a nice covery story.

I know what really happened.

I felt honored to be included, even though I'm not very professional! Thanks Stage for sneaking me in, and Anarrina & Prevention for taking the time to do this. It was wonderfully fun

That methead guy in the Scheol jump off screen shot looks mighty su****ious.
    Brofist 220/30/70 Engineer
    Techbro 220/30/70 Nano-Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaloot View Post
    cool pics.

one question for -Stage-, what font are you using for your chat in-game? looks very very nice!
    Arial, bold :P
    <Lazy> who knew ao f*rum denizens were such homophobes?

Lordstage Free to do anything
    Byracka iddqd
    Battlespork Eats what he kills
    Bloodforbaal Utter bastard
    Pinealgland Too weird to live, and too rare to die
    Dagenham Radioactive courier
    Fascinated Elderly nature enthusiast

So none of you got to visit 'yay'? Perhaps I'll lead an expedition to 'yay' one of these days.
    Metalynx, hey, Metalynx!
    Is there any Smoked Reet left?

"You ate it all already, didn't you?"
    Nyoro~n

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I can do that myself, actually. ARK forums magic and all that.
    Nerf ARK warps. ;/
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast