Thread: Father where art thou? Saalz follows.

Post Father where art thou? Saalz follows.

‘Into the Darkness of my mind, where light is shadows
    Bright they shine but elusive as my hope has come to be.
    To find you Father is my fuel, my redemption to my Brother
    And our late Mother, for Her secret never told, we must now find.’

-Excerpt from Saalz’s personal Diary a Year after his adoptive Mother’s Death.

A six Months earlier.

He sat in his stone apartment, his red eyes glowing at what he was seeing flashing up on the screen, floating in the air. He had found the expedition site, maybe still active but not known. The droid made its annoying babbling noise once again, Saalz shouted an order to the Android that paced his apartment. It stopped in its tracks and hunched over, as if suddenly depressed by some thought; powered down.

‘My God, if Sight could see this!’ He had thought about telling Sightsee, but as the info was hacked from the Omni Tek research department, should he be implicated for any involvement in obtaining this info he would be sacked and jailed. Of course he was not, but it was to do with his Father… their Father.

Mr. Iglaisias Boothby was an ordinary farmer in one of the underground biosphere farms under the deserts of Newland City. They had already one son, Shaun Boothby (Sightsee), but had adopted an abandoned scarred baby they later named as simply Saalz. Both of them were the same age, and lived together as Brothers; the only exception was that Saalz was educated in Clan territory as part of the agreement by the Boothby’s and the Tir City Orphanage, Sight in Newlands. Iglaisias and his wife were good parents, they had hopes that Sightsee would work in an office, earn good money and settle down, he was a troubled child never really doing as he was told. Saalz was the opposite, obedient and interested in his studies especially building things or de-engineering them, so they didn’t worry for his future.

Unfortunately bad times hit the family business, what with the mutant raids destroying property in their desperation for food in the hottest summers. The War, effecting trade routes (it was looking bad). But they never revealed the situation to their 6-Year-old children. They were used to the comfortable life, and too young to understand the value of money. Iglaisias had no choice but accept a high risk job on an expedition, much to Seema’s dismay, but she let her husband go and could manage the farm with the help of the old droids they had to assist in the agriculture.

Saalz could never understand why their Father went off to some distant place, but Sight had taken his absence even harder than he. But they managed in the Year ahead, occasionally receiving audio mail from Iglaisias, a joy when it came on every other Sunday. On one Sunday, they awoke to find their Mother Seema weeping in the kitchenette, they had both spied on her from the stairs; he remembered that they held each other close then, knowing it was to do with Dad.

Sure enough, it was. Seema was never the same, lacking in physical affection for them both. She had stopped giving them guidance. She did however thell the unlikely Brothers that when they would come of age she would tell them a secret to do with their Father. But that never came.

When they were 17 Years of age, it was a fresh day out near Newlands Lake. Just another day of many. Saalz had grown bored had begged Sightsee to play a game of soccer, he refused many times but eventually gave in to the persistent Saalz. Saalz had played well, but only because Sightsee’s mind was on the storm he felt was coming. It was a strange feeling that something wasn’t right; like the feeling of being followed in a dark street at night. It wasn’t long till Sightsee knew why.

The Biosphere inside was a scene of a battle, the fields were burned, that cattle too, some mutant bodies were strewn around. Droid parts scattered around the area; they ran shouting for their mother heading for the side where there home was set. The Door had been blown off with explosives. And inside was horror enough to scar them both, to cause one to lose their religion. Before entering the kitchen they could smell the metallic scent of blood; the dripping of the tap but Saalz could only imagine blood. They both stood outside the kitchen door that was half slid open, frozen in their movement. Sight trembled as he brought out his Tactical revolver, anger fear covering him like a shroud, Saalz was shaking and moaning, tears rolling down his red scarred face.
    “No… no, no, no” He said shaking his head. Sight looked through him and gulped down the bile that shot up into his mouth, and ran into the small kitchen, gun at the ready. He could see only as if looking in a tunnel, the room blurry around him, he tripped as if in the dark a few times. And there in Technicolor reality, she lay naked, cut in several places, blood dripping from her body to the sterile floor, dead.

Saalz snapped out of those thoughts, the images haunted him even now in his sleep. Iglaisias would appear sometimes, with a knife in his hands, glaring into Saalz’s accusingly. And that’s when the bond died between he and Sightsee. Sightsee had blamed him verbally then for wanting to play soccer, they would have been there was his argument. Even in the Years where Sight had told him there was nothing, nothing they could have done; he knew that Sight’s distance and insults were to the contrary.

He sat back down to go over the details once again, now the info they managed to ‘get hold of’ a few Years ago was making sense. But one mystery still remained. The paper document involved in the expedition that Iglaisias was part of, it dated to the Year AD 2005 with co-ordinates of this World and to a specific location, written in a strange mathematical language hidden by poetic prose. Only deciphered by today’s science.

But now before his eyes was the full file. But what of the mystery men and women who had approached him with it? Their names didn’t check out on any of the databases of them, elusive strange ones, young in flesh but wise, very wise maybe?
    They wanted him to join them in the search of the site, the very same that their Father was asked to almost 21 Years before. He was told by them to simply tell no one, so he didn’t, his supplies were ready and so was his droid he assembled, a WarBot that would be his bodyguard. He closed the file and reluctantly destroyed the data cube in a small container of acid. He watched it dissolve, and it was already like redemption, redemption from his Brother for his mistake made 5 Years ago.
    Last edited by SinisterCake; Oct 12th, 2002 at 17:04:15.

PART 2

He got into a kodiak and stowed the bot, set the navigational system for Hope. He was told to not use the Woompa system lest his movements be tracked and logged. The kodiak was given to him, unregistered and extremely fast. In the long journey he fell asleep, then the dream came again.

Sightsee stood next to him, the few friends of the family scattered around watching the funeral pyre, minutes earlier the brothers had both set it aflame as was the edict of the Hindu religion.
    “You stupid bastard… You had to have your way as always…” Whispered Sightsee to Saalz. “Now we are alone, my family is gone… I don’t want to see you again… After this you leave…” Sight didn’t even look at him, Saalz said nothing in return, he just bowed his head, all he could hear was his life crackling away like the embers of the fire. When he looked up, all the people were staring at him with hate in their eyes. They began to chant words, barely audible at first then rising slowly in volume, “Murderer, murderer… devil child… devil child!” He was running now, dared not to look back at his pursuers. He could hear the patter of their feet, the sound was changing now to the whirr of engines, he looked back and saw that the pursuers were all… he.

Suddenly he awoke with an alert sounding on the HUD of the kodiak, he touched the screen and the radar showed several incoming blips, he switched to manual control and opened up two of the rear camera’s. Through the sand being forced up into the air he made out a few other kodiak’s moving in behind him, over the sand dunes of the Desert. There were four in all now, converged behind him in a column, “OK Saalz, think man!” He said out loud. But what could he do? He could stop, but they would just surround him or worse, run him down before he could activate the War Bot.
    “Nearing Hope, e.t.a 15 minutes.” Said a female voice of the kodiaks computer system.
    “What the Hell do I do now?” He shouted, then veering off at an acute angle, into an outcrop of tree’s. He managed to slow down and weave through some of the trees but side bashed one near the exit point of the small meadow and was sent into a spin. The vehicle slid down a dune, and rested gently at the bottom; Saalz wiped the sweat from his bald red marked head. Checked the radar to see that the other kodiak’s had all gone passed him, not even bothering to follow him at all.

After waiting a few minutes he resumed autopilot and wondered what were the chances of running into others this far out in the deserts. It was strange to see another traveller, yet alone four on a non-routed path to Hope. As he approached the boundaries of Hope, he could see the four kodiak’s parked up in a circle. He started to panic again and quickly checked the exact co-ordinates of the destination. It seemed that they were headed to the place he was… Then the kodiaks computer said something pre recorded.
    “This is the meeting point, here you will meet the team. Have a good day.” It said.

He got out of the kodiak and with shotgun in hand moved to the rear of his vehicle to activate the War Bot. There seemed to be no movement form the other drivers, he presumed was the ‘team’. The huge bot folded out to stand almost 10 feet in height, and scanned the area, “Standing by”. It said in a menacingly deep voice. Just then the canopies of the other vehicles opened up, “Multiple movement detected” the bot said.
    “Guard me” ordered Saalz.
    Three women and a man, in an unknown type of tank armour approached Saalz, arms raised in a sign of peace.

The man stood in front of Saalz and cautiosly took his helmet off, he was in very good condition but with a face of a bulldog. He looked around to the women and nodded, they in turn took off their helms, Saalz was astonished to see that they were not only beautiful with blue eyes and blonde hair, but they were identical. The man smiled slightly at Saalz.
    “So we are the team I take it?” His voice was as gruff as his face.
    “Sir, I wasn’t informed until recently of that fact.”
    The man smiled and laughed, “Wondered why you went off into that crop of trees back there, fancy driving kid. Anyway, here’s the deal. We don’t know anything about you, and you don’t know anything about us. I am the Commander, that’s how refer to me, they are nameless.” His voice was gravely, his eyes were deathly serious as opposed to his face which tried to smile and be cordial. “Any orders, you wanna give, you talk to me… Understood?” He tilted his head, staring at him with those penetrating eyes.
    “I suppose so Sir?” Saalz was unsure and untrusting, lessons in the last few Years had taught him such.
    “Good, this is where we leave the cars.” ‘Cars?’, Saalz hadn’t known anyone to use that term for the kodiaks before, but knew from his educational background that it referred to a ancient earth vehicle. ‘Who were these unblemished people?’ he thought to himself.

They all had taken their equipment out of the kodiaks and carried them on their backs. Saalz go the War bot to carry his, as the environmental suit was too much for him to carry on his lithe body. He walked with the commander to the top of a dune, two of the ladies were with them, and the third was busy with something and caught up a few minutes later.
    “Stop… Do it…” The commander raised his had and turned to were the kodiaks were parked. Saalz observed as one of the triplets nodded and pressed a button on a transmitter in her hand. A bright blue plasma flare burst out first before the explosion and hissing emitted from the vehicles. Saalz had to cover his eyes as the kodiaks literally melted away in the blast, leaving only a charred scar on the dusty plain. Saalz looked on briefly as the Commander motioned to move out towards the Outlands, the rest of Rub-Ka, un-terraformed lands, hostile and lacking in oxygen. He decided against asking him what was going on, it seemed that he wasn’t the leader of this team. Maybe he was a pawn, maybe they would kill him when they were done? He thought again about contacting his Mistress of the Unity of the Rose, but remembered that he could tell no one. Who were these people? Were they Clan or Omni? Or were they affiliated with some other Corp or power? Saalz followed the Commander and his troupe on the long journey towards the site, a place in the hostile Outlands.

PART 3

Saalz was tiring of the travelling through the hostile lands. The commander did little to alleviate the boredom of it, and the three ladies said nothing at all. He found them all uncomfortable to be around, what little the commander did converse about was the weather and interesting species that abounded. He still couldn’t place their accents, for he had been to many Worlds on his contracting work as an Engineer, maybe they were from the outer Worlds?

He was beginning to wonder what his role in the group was to be? They had the most sophisticated technology. During the days they would set up a small portable generator and activate a huge cloak over the campsite while they rested. The triplets seemed to communicate via telepathy, a bit too well. He didn’t recognise any of the equipment they used at all. The commander would occasionally bring out a pole like object that expanded and seemed to be made of living tissue, dark tendrils that wrapped around each other, used for support when climbing the rough terrain.

With this in mind he still couldn’t understand what he had to contribute… Who were these people? As they stopped at a small oasis he decided he would ask the Commander who was hunched over bathing his sweat sodden face.
    “Excuse me Sir, I have a question to ask.”
    The commander rose up and looked at him with a slight smile on his face, “Wondering when you were going to ask about your position in the team. Not bad, it’s been a few days, others would have asked me before now.” He went back to bathing his face. Saalz was shocked and realised that his thoughts were exposed to them as well.
    “Well, what is it… my position in the team?”
    “Simply put Saalz, my employers are doing you and your brother Shaun (Sightsee) a favour. Believe me when I say you’re a liability, I’m not happy about you or your droid being part of the deal either. But we do what we are told… just try to keep yourself alive on the journey.”
    “But what about-“
    “The great Barrier”, the commander interrupted, “Automated defences, easy to deal with.” The Commander smiled with a glint of sarcasm in his eye. “Right people, hustle up! Were close, another nights march and were there.” Saalz felt as though it was said out loud for his benefit, as it seemed that they were able to talk to each other without words.

It was near to morning when they crossed the brow overlooking the huge Wall that stretched from East to West known as the barrier. The weather here for the past few miles had got worse and changed with alarming frequency. The commander as always was in front of the team when he raised his hand to indicate they stop. He then got down to his belly and brought out some hi-tech binoculars. He studied the wall and the shimmering shield that was concave above them, glowing like the northern lights of Earth. The triplets unpacked their environmental suits, opened up the few trunks they carried and activated the nano-shrunk powered armour which folded out by their own accord to about humanoid height. Saalz couldn’t help but note that they looked like a fashion statement, with striking colours and sleek anamie style design, nothing like the dull hulking powered armour that he had seen for hostile environmental conditions. He also noticed there was only four, none for him? The commander rose and put on laugh directed at Saalz.
    “Don’t worry, we got a spare, more traditional envirosuit.” Saalz, was getting fed up by his mind being read, it was intrusive, and ‘what of my secrets, my dreams?’ he wondered.
    “Don’t worry we don’t pry”, the Commander said, “We wait here, the ‘namless’ are going in for now.” Saalz wanted to hit him. The three ladies were already in the powered armour, then leapt off the brow of the cliff, about a few feet from the ground anti-gravity engines kicked in and brought them down gently. The commander brought out a basic vacuum suit for Saalz to wear, which he put on. Saalz tried to not think too much, but couldn’t help but ask himself why was he given a suit that if cut even slightly would bring about death? He remembered back to the night before and remembered that this commander had told him to stay alive.
    “Why you think they went ahead first huh? You’ll be safe don’t worry.” The Commander said.
    “It seems that you were not fully prepared? And another thing, how far into the unterra-formed area is this site might I ask?”
    The Commander got into his powered armour and winked before the helm of the armour closed around his head.

Saalz was beginning to feel his nerves order his glands to produce that adrenaline rush. He couldn’t believe that soon he would find the answers, or at least some clues as to what his foster Father was involved in all those Years ago. He wished Sightsee were with him now to experience the feelings of apprehension, anticipation and joy at being so close to the site that their Father had set foot on.

Nameless 1, managed to hack the service door open to the barrier wall, she could not detect any movement through the X-ray or thermal views into the darkness of the maintenance shaft. The other two were stood either side of her, always scanning the area around them. ‘Sisters, I’m going in’, she thought and received the go ahead from them. In her mind was the map, data flowed from the systems nearby that controlled the security, she had already falsified records in the central data base seconds before. Directions on a more ‘physical’ map on her HUD opened up with a “Welcome, Omni Tek is your friend” text flashing up for long enough for one to read. She was recognised as a high clearance Omni Engineer, and a few seconds later, as she made her way into the main Control Room for that section, so was the rest of the team.

Saalz and the Commander had made their way down to ground level, buffeted by the violent winds that seemed to wrap around them, as if to force them to fall. The towering War Bot followed them with ease, but moved its head frequently as if paranoid at the howling winds. Saalz noted that the main doors were open, and that all the ladies had obviously gone in. They approached and Saalz started to pray to ‘God’, the commander took point and span around frequently pointing a huge cannon to the cliffs behind them. Saalz looked around inside before following, and ordered his bot to guard him closely. It seemed the commander was right, no personnel were inside, but neither were the automated security that the commander had mentioned earlier?

They made their way to the triplets know as ‘nameless’ in the control room, then moved to the other side of the barrier, where outside would be the hostile true Rubi-Ka, an area with no oxygen, devoid of all life with storms that flow into ones darkest nightmares. The outer doors in the airlock slowly opened, revealing the darkness outside, deep purple and black clouds seem to move towards them, as if to devour them before they had set foot outside. Saalz’s heart began to beat faster, he had never imagined the view before him to be so bleak. The commanders powered armour seemed to nod forward, and the nameless triplets ran out as if they were familiar with the hostile and scary lands ahead.

PART 4

The clouds kept moving with random ferocity across the dark sky. Saalz checked his timer to see that it was Sunrise soon, ‘what colour would it be here?’ he thought to himself.
    “It will be pinkish-purple, due to the chemicals in these un-terreformed regions.” Said the Commander.
    Saalz rolled his eyes, hidden behind the environment suit’s helmet. They had been moving at Saalz’s pace for a while since the barrier, whilst the triplets took point just out of sight, sometimes reappearing on a column or plateau in the valley that was the terrain. His fear that he felt before was strangely gone, to be replaced by a feeling almost like peace, he felt warm as though wrapped up in some wolf skin blankets, his mind wandered to the past again…

He was very young and barely able to walk, he was in a large lounge made in an ancient design; fireplace with logs burning bright, wooden furniture and floorboards. The area was lit gently by the fire and the candles that were placed here and there. He was wrapped up in a fur blanket, leaning against a man, cradled almost like a child. The man’s face was blurred out, but he felt much love from him. He was telling him a story as the both sat near the fire, looking into the dancing flames.
    “…And in this land, so ugly and bleak with a dark purple sky the knight found his temple. But he was confused-“
    “Why Dada?” Saalz said.
    “If you stop interrupting, I’ll tell you, cheeky.” The man was smiling and pinched Saalz’s cheek. “Where was I? Oh yes, the knight was confused because he was promised a glorious temple tower, adorned with jewels and notum, rising to the heavens so high that even the sturdiest chirop would not be able to perch its spire. Instead he found the entrance to a cave, a dark, cold and scary one…” The man paused for effect, Saalz grabbed the man’s arm tighter, feeling a bit scared. He continued once again after smiling at his little boy. “… Our hero lit a torch, cautiously entered to find skeletons of many dead adventurers, he wasn’t scared though because he knew he was protected by the Omni-Fairy, and that it was his destiny to find the temple.” Saalz was about to ask what ‘destiny’ was, but didn’t want his Dad to stop telling the tale. “…Eventually the knight game to the main room, where he saw a dark large ring, stood in the middle of the chamber, he walked towards it…” The day dream started to fade he was confused, ‘why has Dad stopped?’ he wondered and looked up to his face. He saw the man’s face now, and was shocked by the visage of a complete stranger, it was not his foster Father Mr. Boothby. The face then morphed into a strange respirator mask, hooded in red fabric, Saalz screamed, he knew the masked face.

“What the hell is wrong with you? Snap out of it!” Shouted the Commander whilst gently shaking Saalz with his Mecha augmented hands. Saalz opened his eyes, to see the mechanised head of the Commanders Suit.
    “Ahhh!… Err where, what?” Saalz looked around to remember where he was, he had to adjust his carbon dioxide levels in his suit as he started to hyperventilate. When he was breathing easy again, the Commander spoke, wishing that Saalz could see the disapproval on his bulldog like face. “While you’ve been sat there… WE, have been trying to get your damn Warbot to walk. The thing wont move, because of a, you taking a tea break, and b, because you didn’t prep it for this kind of environment!”
    “What?.. No, it should be OK? And sorry.” Saalz, looked over to the Bot, the triplets had been working on it. He got up to inspect it, just then the hulking machine started to move and the triplets dispersed to take point once again.
    “Its OK… Now lets move before we run out of air… shall we?” The Commander bowed as if to let a lady go first through a door.
    “Yes, let’s get this over with.” Saalz walked on, the Commander followed.

They finally arrived at a huge plateau, that looked as though it were the foundations of an even larger structure once, now eroded by the weather and by time. Set in the side, quite uncharacteristically were a set of doors made with the latest and finest materials that today’s technology allowed. The sky started to get brighter as the suns rose, it was still dark, a hue of purple. Saalz knew it meant something, but couldn’t remember his waking dream, but the sky did bother him now and his uncertainty grew.

The triplets moved to a group of rocks that littered the area. Nameless 1, reached down to a large rock, it glowed brightly when touched and flipped open to reveal a keypad with various symbols, she keyed in the code. The doors near the men opened up slowly, the other two of the triplets rejoined the Commander, weapons at the ready facing the entrance.
    “Err, what are you expecting in there?” Asked Saalz.
    “Just stick behind me, its just a precaution… Get your heap of technical excellence to guard you.” He said as he raised his cannon to scan the area above the doors.

Nameless 1 was about to join the others when she felt a sudden wave of coldness, even though her suit provided a constant temperature, the other two felt the same sensation. Nameless 1 had the urge to look around behind her, she resisted briefly to switch to her rear camera HUD. Nothing was there, but the urge grew stronger still, she turned and noticed a shadow that spanned a large area moving along the ground with speed towards her, she looked up. The other two suddenly opened fire in the direction of where Nameless 1 was, arcing upwards as if to shoot some flying craft down. Nameless 1 sent out a mental scream that sent Saalz kneeling to the floor in agony. The Commander could see nothing, then watched in horror as Nameless 1, was thrust up in the air, the whole mecha suit ripped apart into pieces of metal blood and bone which hovered for an instant, then fell to the ground.
    ‘Cease-fire and get into the site, NOW!’ Ordered the Commander via telepathy, the two ladies retreated into the entrance, one still firing as the other hit the emergency button to shut the doors. The Commander lifted Saalz up and threw him into the entrance, Saalz’s Warbot followed the doors were closing fast, and he felt suddenly cold. He hit the rear booster ignition command, blue jet flames erupted from his Shoulder thrusters and sent him flying into the gap a split second before the doors closed. Something on the other side hit the doors, there was a pause then the doors were bashed again, a few times this happened.

They waited there after the bashing had ceased, the Commander looked down to where Saalz lay, checked to see if his suit had not been cut, nodded to himself realising Saalz was knocked out. He felt the grief and fear of the ladies in the team, they were obviously upset, after all there was no chance of regeneration or resurrection. She was permanently gone.
    ‘Were professionals, lets do the job and get out of here, and I assure you I’ll make sure we get extra for this loss. And a few tickets to Disneyland’ He thought and smiled to himself. He remembered when as a child he was taken to that wondrous place with his large but rich Family, but that was the only memory he had of those days Millennia ago. He could still feel the grief, but the two remaining nameless continued to light up the corridor that they were in, and activate the airlock door to the site. Saalz came round, and said nothing as he checked his environment suit, he noticed that there was one of the triplets missing, decided not to ask. He was scared now alright, Sightsee’s mocking voice came into his head from their shared youth, “Scaredy cat, scaredy cat, don’t know what you’re looking at.” He wondered what Nameless 1 was looking at, what made a professional like her scream? He got up and noticed a plaque on the corridor wall covered in dust, he wiped it away, it said ‘Site 2243XD hereby known as the Mallocke Arch in honour of Dr. Uther Mallocke discoverer of this artefact… Omni-Tek is your friend.’ So finally he knew, Mallocke was the name for the site, and that of a person.
    Last edited by SinisterCake; Oct 12th, 2002 at 17:07:54.

PART 5

They were gathered outside the airlock, Saalz decided to ask the Commander what had happened, he opened up a private channel to the soldiers suit.
    “What was it?… What was out there?”
    “…I’ll be honest Saalz… I don’t know, we weren’t informed of what resistance there would be… And no, I don’t know yet what we will do to get out of here either, but well think of something, so don’t despair.” The Commander sounded surprisingly calm and Fatherly when he spoke. Saalz simply nodded as they entered the airlock. As the ladies set the life support systems up in the site area, he thought quite bizarrely that the adversary outside was a fairy, a protector. He frowned to himself, he was trying to remember a dream. In the few minutes it took to complete, he also wondered why he felt numb, no excitement to finding the truth, the answer to his and Sightsee’s Father’s journey all those Years ago.

The doors to the site finally opened with a hiss, and nothing could be seen too well in what must have been a large cavern area.
    “You can take your suits off now, the air is breathable in there. The trip- the nameless will go in and se up the lights and secure the area, I suggest you send your bot in to patrol the area.” The Commander was sounding his usual self, dark and gravely. They all got out of their suits and rearmed with assault rifles, grenades, and other weapons of destruction; leaving their suits behind, the nameless entered with IR goggles.

Nameless 3, moved to where she memorised the generator to be and started it up, lights lit up one by one like a many-eyed beast awaking from an annoying disturbance. The other lady was already on the east side of the cavern, in a man made control centre, all the controls were dusty from not being used in what must have been many Years. She activated a holo-screen that hovered near the entrance, a map to the various systems, rooms that were attached like a hub around the central cavern. She sat down and got to work, it took a while for the main lights to go on, and to activate the security system. When the reports came that the site was secure, she sent an ‘OK’ to the commander. The Warbot walked around taking readings of all sorts, its attention turned to a 8 foot oval structure that rested upright, its material was unrecognisable by its sensors, only traces of notum could be detected forming the shape of the ring. There were stairs that were made of the same material that led up to it. It sent back the report to Saalz’s NCU.

Saalz was told (as if he needed to be), to not touch anything whilst the commander joined his team in starting up the systems that abounded here in this site. He walked casually to where his Warbot was standing. He tried to imagine what it was like 20 Years ago, the hustle and bustle of the people here, why everything was left abandoned, the dust that covered everything was proof of that. He looked down to an old datapad, he was looking through it. Something near a small crane caught his eye, he looked up and saw his foster Father smiling at him, then waving. Before he could say anything he disappeared. He walked to the crane carefully, his heart began to beat faster, ‘could that really be him?’ he thought, he opened the door to the crane, something smashed and it got a bit darker around him. He jumped slightly, realising a light bulb had over heated and shattered. He laughed to himself and shook his head, and sadness started to well up as he resumed his way to his bot.

What he saw when he got there was an obsidian coloured ring that stood up vertically and central to the cavern, stairs of similar material led up to it, and to either side were pedestals. There were strange markings on the oval and the pedestals, next to the right pedestal was a hand scanner, linked via many bundles of cables. He noticed now that there were thicker cables that trailed off to the control centre, and to a separate generator. The whole object looked very out of place in this cavern, almost like a shrine… He felt a shiver run down his spine, ‘shrine… a temple?’ He thought and furrowed his eyebrows, what was it that was bothering him still, like as if someone was trying to tell him something, maybe his subconscious?

The commander watched Saalz intently with folded arms, deep in thought.
    ‘Systems are ready for activation Sir’ thought Nameless 3.
    ‘So there is no other way in, or out of here?’
    ‘No Sir, only the main doors whence we came.’
    ‘Good, I want this part to at least go smoothly, what’s the ETA on our extraction?’
    ‘ETA in 15, but no confirmation… Haven’t been able to establish comms, the main communications array is damaged.’
    ‘Just keep thinking positive thoughts you two, they’ll be here… They will.’ The commander walked towards the oval structure to join Saalz and his Warbot.
    “Interesting isnt it Saalz?” The commander smiled.
    “What is it? Sensor readings don’t pick up much?”
    “Ah, well my team think they can activate this structure… Let’s give it a try. If this goes well, I’ll open up the champagne that I brought with us.” He nudged Saalz playfully. Saalz knew from the cables and his own profession that indeed this structure could be powered, but had never seen something as strange as this ancient artefact before. It also seemed that the bulldog commander was not immune to excitement, but for some reason, he felt none at all.

The commander raised his hand, and for the benefit of Saalz, shouted, “It’s a go for Arch activation.” There was a whirring noise as the generator started up, and slowly the symbols lighted up with a deep blue glow. The hand scanner console made some beeping noises to acknowledge that it was ready. The commander removed his armoured right hand glove, walked to the console about to place his hand upon it. He hesitated, and turned to face Saalz, with a smile he said, “Why don’t you do the honours? After all, you and this thing seem to have history in your Family.”
    “Thank you, but I’d really like to know… What the hell is this thing?”
    “Well, were not sure… That’s what we were hired to find out… Were here to record what transpires. Now I’ve told you enough, how about it?”
    “But don’t you think it’s strange? Omni-Tek abandoned this place… Or are your employers some other organisation?”
    The commander sighed, “Look, remember what I told you when we first met? I can’t divulge that info, were simply mercenaries.”
    “Yes, but where are you all from? I don’t recognise your accent, your equipment…” He looked to the commander, realising he wasn’t going to get any answers, he returned to a practical question. “OK, but the scanner, isn’t it set for a few people for activation?”
    “It was, we hacked it, with some info from our employers.” Saalz felt a little dumb, and shrugged his shoulders as he placed his hand on the scanner. A female voice echoed from the speakers, it was the AI speaking.
    “15 seconds to Arch activation… 15… 14-“ Saalz wanted to photograph the moment, and realised he had left it near the datapad on a secondary Site control panel.
    “Oh, wait… I left my camera over there, just going to get it.” He jogged off to where his camera was. The commander shook his head, knowing that the data would be erased by the systems in the site, but left him to it, ‘a last pleasure for him, let him have it’. Saalz reached the console and stumbled as he picked up the camera from it, “10… 9…” the voice continued. Saalz ran back, not knowing that he had pressed the button to open the main entrance doors. The 2 nameless took positions either side of the pedestals, guns at the ready.
    ‘Not yet, something may still go wrong.’ The commander replied telepathically to the nameless.

“2… 1… Arch activated, system fluctuations nominal.” There was a strange flash of darkness from the centre of the oval structure, it then grew to fill the hollow of the ring with a swirl of dark colours, moving like a whirlpool in a deep sea. Saalz took a few pictures, with no excitement in his being.
    “Now what is that?” Saalz said to no one in particular.
    “Well, you could say it’s a new beginning… A new place awaits, so they say.” The commander turned to Saalz and smiled, suddenly he raised his gun to Saalz’s head. The Warbot suddenly turned to take aim at the commander, Nameless flicked a switch on a transmitter, and the bot hunched over as if bowing to its new master, deactivated. Saalz was shocked, numb by this sudden turn of events, his guns were holstered, he knew he couldn’t get a shot off before the soldier did.
    “So, I should have known. You Bastard!”
    “Sorry, orders are orders, whilst fixing your mechanical buddy here, we planted a emp device, in case you’re wondering why its not made a hole the size of Alaska in me… Don’t get me wrong kid, I like you, so I’m gonna tell you some info, since you are at a permanent end real soon.”
    “Well, how gracious of you.” Saalz stood still as a statue, he knew he wouldn’t get reclaimed, not out here outside of the ‘World’ he left behind. “I am all ears Commander.”
    “You are here in the team for a reason, that reason being you’re Father or rather your maker Dr. Mallocke genetically made you for one purpose only, to activate this gateway, the code is in your genes and well, our employers were unable to hack the codes needed. He made you in case things would go wrong when the original crew activated the Arch. It did go wrong, details of which are not known, bet it has something to do with whatever KIA’d nameless.” The commander paused for Saalz to digest this information.
    Saalz couldn’t believe it. All this time he believed he was an orphan told he was found in a trash can in Tir. All of it lies, bar one, he was indeed a freak. The idea of perma death didn’t phase him now, he felt as though it would all be OK somehow. The commander continued. “Your foster Father was the Dr’s closest friend, he knew some information about this site, in secret of course as were you. Omni-Tek in their compassion, well their need to re procure their finest scientists, decided to mount a rescue and investigation team. That was 20 Years ago, Mr. Boothby arranged it so that he would be in that team. I will tell you this much, we don’t know what happened to that team, that’s the truth.” The commander almost looked ashamedly to Saalz. “You were the key, I don’t know how or when my employers realised this, but only you could have activated the arch, it wasn’t hacked. And I hate to say this but, they want you dead after your usefulness has expired.”
    “OK… So tell me at least this, what is this thing and why are there no bodies?”
    “The bodies? I don’t know kid, maybe they went through the gate? See that’s a gate to somewhere, not my concern… Another team will be arriving shortly to figure that one out… Oh and a car, its an old Earth vehicle from the 20th Century, I used to have a nice little one that went some, it was made by Lotus, the Elise.” He smiled genuinely this time.
    “I suppose it would be pointless asking you what you are talking about, either I would believe you and not understand, or not believe you and still not understand?” Saalz was stern.

‘Hurry it up Sir, our extraction is in-‘ Nameless 3 was grabbed up into the air by a dark maggot looking creature 10 foot long, with many limbs and a vaguely dragon like head. Its eyes glowed with a deep blue hue of the symbols on the arch, It was not totally solid, and the creature was more visible the closer it was to this oval artefact, it looked as though it were made of the same material as the arch. Nameless screamed out and again Saalz was knelt in pain as the commander opened up with a full auto burst, cutting through Nameless 3 and seemingly doing no damage to the thing holding her up.
    ‘Lets get the Hell out of here NOW!’ Shouted the commander, as the already dead corpse of Nameless 3 was ripped apart by the beast showering them all in blood, bone pieces and guts. The commander ran to the airlock, the doors had been breached and he quickly suited up in his powered environment suit, Nameless 2 behind spraying the area with gunfire she was finding it harder to breath as the un- breathable atmosphere of the outside was seeping in. She partially got into her powered armour when the creature moved through the air like an eel closing in behind her. ‘***** it… Go Sir! Forget me! Wasted Years huh Joe?’ the commander was already running to the open doors to the outside.
    ‘Sara! Come on, you can make it!’ He thought back to the lady who he loved the one called Nameless 2. She managed to get to the emergency close switch to the Main doors, and hit it, turned to see the beast approaching, realising that the man she loved was safe, she unclipped the grenades and fired the remaining ammo. She sent out one last thought to Saalz ‘Get up and run to the gate… Your Father awaits you!.. . Arrgggghhhh!’ Saalz was in agony from the last scream of the last Nameless, he could barely crawl up the steps. There was a hiss behind him, he turned around just as he was close to the gate, the beast grabbed him, he screamed and all was dark.

The commander tried to reopen the main doors, inside his suit he was in tears. First time in many, many decades. He leaned against the doors for a few minutes, dreaming of a Disney Land of his own, where he told Sara that he loved her the first time he felt it. And now it was too late. The extraction Gun-ship was closing in, he noticed it on his radar, he stood up, glad that they would not be able to see his face giving him time to compose himself under the visage of the powered armour.
    “This is Alpha unit, hostile in site, I am the only remaining… Request immediate pick up at my co-ordinates.” He waited for a response as the craft came in view it hovered above him for a minute. Joe nodded to himself, they weren’t replying, he knew what was to come; a nice double cross. He looked up to the twin plasma chain guns on the sides of the black monstrous machine, they started to spin.
    “Bastards!!!!” He shouted as he rose his weapon to fire, only to be cut down by the ships twin barrels. His last thought was ‘sorry kid… sorry.’

Talking

A bumparonie.
    Crattyjack (RUR) - Director of Sales.
    Nashka (RUR) - Security Chief.
    Greenie01 (Devils Advocate) - Wheeler an Dealer.
    Emmet 'Bazzit' (Uncle Bazzit Foundry) - (Unofficial) CEO.
    Sightsee (The Makers Shades) - Lord.

Wink

OOC-You guessed it, another shameless bump !

Wink

I fink I dropped me membership Umbrella, chip fing around here somewhere like? Oo, ello, dont mind me, just lookin fer somink.... Dont suppose you'd be interested in these beuties? *me looks shiftly around* A bargin if ya can afford da price like 'In fer a penny, In fer a pound'....

Greenie01 (the Dodgy Geeza).

Oi Sight

I got me chip fanks... But watch it, I got no brains, but what I lack I got in cunnin... like me Da used ta say.... humour dem jokers, and smile it all away, and laugh an plot fer anover day... Hope ya get my meanin like?

From ya number two hater Green... I'll make it even slower then Don does it fer ya, so ya better ope he gets ve chance first ta silence ya moufe

[OOC: This series has definitely left a lasting impression on me--having first read it over a year ago. I found this thread again after a bit of rooting around and searching for it. Funcom originally was going to go with "Outlands" as their expansion pack...and for some reason the dynamic of this story feels so much like a prediction or interpretation of what might have been. Perhaps, Funcom will consider as part of the next expansion pack (Towns of Rubi-Ka), the possibility of opening up some areas in the "Outlands" as places to venture forth into the wild frontier, to terraform, expand and develop townships and cities (player built communities in the Outlands which would help prevent urban sprawl in the already established RK playfields). Aannnd I'm rambling.

Anyways, just wanted to pop in and mention that this story has left a lasting impression on me, thank you so much for sharing it. ]
    Last edited by Nepenthea; Oct 27th, 2003 at 11:16:43.
    TRAVEL TO RUBI-KA
    A website providing maps of Rubi-Ka,
    playfields, Whom-Pah & Grid maps,
    in-game maps, and more.

http://travel.to/rubi-ka

Discover Leety Goodness at:
    http://how.to/leet

[OOC]

Thanks for reading it

Basically I had a story for the then mains, Saalz the adopted Clan brother to Sightsee of Neutral born origins. I brought about the history of the tragic duo's families as it was then when back in Savoy's excellent group of gents and ladies (South Rubi-Ka Society)... It was a club so to speak of people to relax within, I mentioned it at my very first event, a 'dinner party' of the then group. The dissapearence was a coincedence with what was planned as the Shadow Lands. I was more then happy that I was able to re-rol these old mains that were deleted, so the story continues with firstmost the post called 'I am the Makers Shade'... And so I reposted the story of Saalz as he found a lead to their 'father'.

I intend to continue the mini saga, for after all, saga's can be how little or big as you envision.

Have fun!

[/OOC]
    Last edited by SinisterCake; Oct 28th, 2003 at 02:01:26.