Thread: AO in NY Times newspapaer

AO in NY Times newspapaer

hmmm....

copied and pasted from link
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/10/te...ts/10anar.html

In a Multiplayer Universe, Gods Bow to the Masses
    By SETH SCHIESEL

AUTE GODAGER has more power over his economy than Alan Greenspan, chairman of the Federal Reserve Board does. He has more influence over global politics than Kofi Annan, secretary general of the United Nations. For the inhabitants of his world, Mr. Godager is nothing less than an all-powerful god.

Of course, Mr. Godager's world does not really exist. And deities do not have to worry about their universe's inhabitants' picking up and leaving for a competing reality because they are dissatisfied with their selection of weapons. Last week Mr. Godager was worrying about just that.

His world is the planet Rubi-Ka in the year 29476. It is the universe of Anarchy Online, part of the new breed of so-called massively multiplayer online games that have helped transform the game industry.

Fans of massively multiplayer games like Anarchy Online and EverQuest often spend dozens of hours a week in their virtual environments. In exchange for the subscription fees they pay (Anarchy Online costs $12.95 a month), players are vocal, active and sometimes downright ornery in demanding consistency in their online economies and overall balance in their digital worlds. If they do not like the way a game is going, they vote with their feet (or their keyboards), cancel their accounts and move.

That is what Mr. Godager, game director for Anarchy Online (www .anarchy-online.com), confronted last week. A tentative alteration to a set of rare and powerful game pieces called low-light targeting scopes raised the threat of a mass uprising and widespread cancellations by Anarchy Online players.

Funcom, the Norwegian company that runs Anarchy Online, does not release subscriber figures, but analysts say that the game must have at least tens of thousands of users. Last week many of them posted irate messages on online bulletin boards and sent e-mail to Funcom in protest, setting aside professional rivalries (Metaphysicists versus Nano Technicians, for instance) and interspecies tensions (different sorts of mutants do not always see eye to eye, literally).

"The way the people vote is by leaving the game, and we don't really want that," Mr. Godager said in a telephone interview from Funcom's offices in Oslo, sounding less like a god than like a junior congressman besieged by lobbyists. "People have invested so much time and effort into this and it's a big part of their life, and we were trying to take all of this into consideration when we made this decision for all of those people who feel like they own the game and own the characters."

Mr. Godager faces the difficult task of making Anarchy Online's virtual world as welcoming for newcomers as it is challenging for addicts. As part of that effort, his team announced last week that it was going to "nerf" the virtual low-light scopes, which increase the chances of inflicting more damage on a target. In online parlance, "nerf," after the soft, squishy real-life toys, means to make something drastically less effective. In June, Funcom had decided that no more would be created but that it would not disable the scopes that already existed in the game.

That decision made the few remaining scopes extremely valuable. A newcomer to Anarchy Online might play off and on for a month and accumulate, say, 100,000 credits by killing monsters and selling treasure found on the corpses. The most powerful scopes routinely sell for 200 million credits or more, putting them far out of the reach of all but the most dedicated players.

Some players - especially new ones who cannot afford the scopes - call that situation unfair. The majority - particularly the hardcore players who can think about buying the scopes - appear to believe that Anarchy Online should operate as a market-based economy, meaning that it is acceptable for luxury goods to be available only to the rich. But many of those players complained that the latest change contradicted the company's earlier statement that the scopes would remain in the game.

"When a person devotes a lot of time and energy towards something, a person tends to feel some sense of possession," Jen Kozar, a high-level Anarchy Online player from Hawaii, wrote in an e-mail interview last week. "The biggest problem with nerfs is that it can take what a player did and invalidate it."

Mr. Godager said that in response to the outcry over the planned changes, Funcom might scale back the adjustment in the scopes.

The players, meanwhile, say that in virtual worlds, as in real life, a gap between rich and poor will persist.

"At low levels you barely manage to scrape by unless you have friends in-game with higher-level characters that help you," a high-level player known as Hayake said by e-mail last week. "At higher levels you just keep on amassing funds, as there is nothing anymore that you can spend them on."

"In an hour of playtime," Hayake wrote, "I probably leave more money lying on the floor than a new character can make in a week of playtime. Decadence rules at high levels, I guess."

Mine's still there:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=58390

We'll keep an eye out to see how it goes.

War in Iraq
    Thousands of murders committed every day
    Unrest in the Middle East

Oh I know, let's publish an article about the nerfing of low light targetting scopes in a worldwide news publication! Now THAT'S hard hitting news!
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Originally posted by TheDeacon
    War in Iraq

Oh I know, let's publish an article about the nerfing of low light targetting scopes in a worldwide news publication! Now THAT'S hard hitting news!
    Although it's kind of cool that AO's in the newspaper...the guy's got a point.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

For those of you who aren't aware, the New York Times is a rather large and all-encompassing news source. What this means is that they try to cater to as wide a market as possible in order to ensure that lots of people read their stuff. This translates to covering a variety of news in a lot of areas. The AO article happened to be in the Internet-specific area of the publication. This doesn't have much to do with war in Iraq or world politics, which are covered on the front page or in their respective sections.

I hope this clears up the basics of periodicals
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Last time I read a NY Times, it had... oh, at least 30 someodd pages.

I'm sure at least 2 of them were devoted to Iraq this time. I doubt more than 1/5 of one went to AO.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Originally posted by Luxxan
    For those of you who aren't aware, the New York Times is a rather large and all-encompassing news source. What this means is that they try to cater to as wide a market as possible in order to ensure that lots of people read their stuff. This translates to covering a variety of news in a lot of areas. The AO article happened to be in the Internet-specific area of the publication. This doesn't have much to do with war in Iraq or world politics, which are covered on the front page or in their respective sections.

I hope this clears up the basics of periodicals
    So, OMG, low light targetting scopes are the best thing on Internet news? Before you know it, the government will be demanding a low light targetting scope for themselves to increase the chance of a critical hit on Iraq? See you all done did it now!

If any of you have wondered why I haven't been in game much lately, this is your answer! My MP and MA have been kidnapped by government agents for their powerful Mocham's gift and mark of peril buffs. We're all gonna be FFOKed now...

War in Iraq

(I know I am just falling into a flamer trap)

Just because there is war in the middle east, famine, and drought all over the world, why should I have to think about them all of the time. I guess I am just sick of people pulling that old troll out when there is a topic that they are not really interested in. If you feel this way about it then maybe you should write the NY Times instead of complaining about an article, in a forum, where many people found it amusing.

Just my 2 cents.

tallin

Oh my god! A weather report in the newspaper??! With war looming in the middle east??

Sheesh- read a paper sometime, Deacon. There's all sorts of stuff in there.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Originally posted by Blue Cat
    Oh my god! A weather report in the newspaper??! With war looming in the middle east??

Sheesh- read a paper sometime, Deacon. There's all sorts of stuff in there.
    STFU! newspapers cost money and junk. And reading? Jesus wept man, you think I wanna be edumacated or something?
    My head hurts now :P

BUSH HAS NERFED THE UN

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

STFU! newspapers cost money and junk. And reading? Jesus wept man, you think I wanna be edumacated or something?
    My head hurts now :P
    lmao

=P
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

I am impressed

Why the NY Times thought this was interesting is beyond me...but I am impressed that it created enough fervor I suppose, and consistency IS an issue after all.
    /soapbox on

You are now on your soapbox

I have had more than one of those scopes, but I made a CHOICE to use the new one...life is choices people, if you CHOSE to not enter the game when they were available, that is ok. If you came later not knowing aboout AO at all, and still think you should be entitled, well I have an issue with that. They kinda are hard to fine any more...but LOTS of antiques and collectors items on earth sell for lots of money. I was not around when Picasso's stuff was selling for nothing, because I was not born then, and now I will never afford a picasso painting, will I whine? No. Would I love to have one? Sure. Do I expect one for nothing? No. That is life, and I will not complain But the scope SHOULD be left as is, period

C'est la vie..or maybe better, c'est la guerre...

/soapbox off

You are now off your soapbox
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

lol, AO in the newspapers ? An ao related problem in the newspaper ? ;p

I have to say i'm very amused and very suprised Tho also nice to see ao in the news, and in this case its not that negatively either ;p

Gaute is my god!
    Georg 218 doc
    [1809] PT
    Legion
    Web: [http://www.legionhq.org]
    Irc: irc.legionhq.org
    Ts: www.legionhq.org

wow All I can say, now I gotta read it all first

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

maybe they won't nerf it that badly in fear of bad press.....=P

oh wait....
    Blue Steel(TM)

E 86% - S 60% - A 33% - K 20%
    http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/

SL upgraded oct 10, 2003

RK2 - Derek"Rayfield" Zoolander
    RK2 - "Umeshiso" Maki
    RK2 - Sylvester "Code187" Vallone

War in Iraq

Do you ever read the paper, online or not? ALL you read about is world tension and the BS thats going down in Iraq. Stuff like this is great for it IS difrent. When 99% of what you can read about is the same anything that veers from that is just that much more interesting.

New York Times is a great paper and I subscribe to it yearly. It has many sections and someone said it had 30 pages. Heh, the first section of the newspaper has 30 pages already, and there are usually 5 sections daily.

I thought the article was pretty good. About 3-4 weeks earlier they had an article about EQ and how people go to these events in full garb (platemail, etc.).

Journalists report on all aspects of daily life and news. You either like some news stories or you don't. I always skip the obituraries, but some read it like the bible.
    Main Khaitlene - Omni Keeper - RK1
    Khaitlsmule - Omni Engie - RK1
    Galaxia - Retired NT - RIP

Proud Member of the Obsidian Order. We're recruiting!

In general, a newspaper is ~50% by volume Macys, Sears, and Tire adds

Of news articles, if you remove quotes (which do nothing but reiterate the journalists premise) and remove "reported" emotional repsonses of witnesses you knock another 85% of fluff from the stories

Take into account that aproximately 70% of the news articles reported has no indirect impact on your life (i.e. Gary Condit, Zoo in Afganistan Closes, NOW praises girl suing school, etc.).

That leaves you with a material content of the typical newspaper (Post, Times, SJMN, etc.) of approximately 0.3% actual information.

Make the news work for you, dump your subscriptions and get the news of the internet from as many worldy sources as you can.
    Iriee

Bring Back Lankybill!!!