Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Request for Community help - AO & Awesomonium Now Working In Wine

Strange. Did you try downloading winetricks and doing:

winetricks orm=backbuffer

AO still doesn't use anything exotic. You may try disabling the hardware shader in the winecfg control panel or a virtual desktop.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

done. After installing orm=backbuffer the black screen went now white.
    What happens is that with shader disabled and with or without the virtual desktop, the white or black screen appears and after like 10 seconds all the screen goes black, with a - flashing for 2 sec at the top left of screen, then screen is turned off for 2 sec then back to the - flashing. Can't do anything after this phase.
    The closest I've got to the normal AO logo loading page was some greenish dots (with fewer red dots) that vaguely resembled the AO logo at loading page. After some seconds more dots appeared at the bottom right and left, I could think that was the GUI of the game, colors were similar. Then all black with flashing -.
    Wine is the 1.3.14 with the only additional patch inside. I'm pretty sure I've installed all the needed packages.
    220/30 Lordlawrence
    200/2x Pampero
    Ever wondered what's like making an OP toon? 30/3 Forum
    25/3 Killergoa

Hm, did you try to run it in 16bit mode? I got some weird graphics, too if i try to run it in 32bit mode. As far as i remember, the underlying X11 has some troubles with 16bit, but that could just be an urban myth :O
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

@LL, do any other games work for you under Wine?
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by -LL- View Post
    if I got it right, there is no chance to run AO from a laptop with integrated intel graphic cards, is there? Under XP AO ran kinda acceptable, but here after installing wine with the patches, after the login screen I get a black screen and sometimes WINE crashes. Sometimes Ubuntu crashes directly....
    I think you can give up on that.

The Intel GMA drivers (i915 in the kernel, xf86-video-intel as package) are pretty crap on Linux. I tried with the latest stable versions of, well, pretty much everything (not "Ubuntu latest" or "Debian latest", but actual latest stable versions) before all the changes to AO with Awesomium.

It didn't work then, it doesn't work now, the drivers are simply not good enough to run real games.. tried other old games such as Dungeon Siege in Wine, that didn't work either (no textures, only white places where they should've been).

Surprisingly enough Unreal Tournament 2004 worked, but that was a native Linux install. Your best option is to dualboot, or give up on running games on your laptop altogether - which is what I've done since even under Windows I couldn't really play any game smoothly (AO didn't even go over 5 FPS unless I was in a shop looking at the floor in 1st person view).

Code:
    xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx ~ $ sudo lspci -k
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)                                                             
            Subsystem: Dell Device 01bd                                                                                                                                                 
            Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel                                                                                                                                         
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)                                                   
            Kernel driver in use: i915                                                                                                                                                  
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)                                                      
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)                                                                              
            Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Intel Core Duo T2450 CPU, Intel GMA 945 integrated graphics chip, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, and a 120 GB 5400rpm harddrive. The only reason it's still decently fast is because it's running Gentoo. I am considering to plug my Intel X-25V 40GB SSD into the sorry thing, and then upgrade my main rig with an OCZ Vertex 2 (or 3). Would be interesting to see how big of a difference it makes on an oldie PC.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    @LL, do any other games work for you under Wine?
    Not really into gaming except AO, and that drains away pretty much a lot of time already! :P

Anyway ok, I guess there is nothing I can do with this PC, unless re-installing windows.. Does AO run on a virtual machine with xp? I guess I'll try that
    220/30 Lordlawrence
    200/2x Pampero
    Ever wondered what's like making an OP toon? 30/3 Forum
    25/3 Killergoa

comment #47?

You talk about this patch that i click on... What if I dont know how to make the patch or where to put it. I have spent about 2 hours trying to figure this crap out i am so confused..... I tried making files on my desktop i dont know where i pput those command lines. and I pretty much know nothing about what to do with adding in a patch? I have no idea how to manually do that on Ubuntu. I have wine 1.2.2 i think. and yea no idea.... hopefully someone will read this shortly. ... Either that or I just wasted money on a game i can no longer freaking play... Wish Anarchy Online Was a bit more OS friendly...

Why would developers spend money to support a OS used by less than 1% of users? It says clearly on the box/website that it requires Windows to play, and what you're doing is basically trying to hack a different OS into allowing you to run software that was never intended to run there.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 29, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
    You talk about this patch that i click on... What if I dont know how to make the patch or where to put it. I have spent about 2 hours trying to figure this crap out i am so confused..... I tried making files on my desktop i dont know where i pput those command lines. and I pretty much know nothing about what to do with adding in a patch? I have no idea how to manually do that on Ubuntu. I have wine 1.2.2 i think. and yea no idea.... hopefully someone will read this shortly. ... Either that or I just wasted money on a game i can no longer freaking play... Wish Anarchy Online Was a bit more OS friendly...
    But why should AO fix what essentially are bugs in Wine?

The patches even prove this, those patches fix bugs in wine to allow AO to run.

It's not Funcom's fault Wine is broken.

Tbh, if you can't handle the complexity of Linux, you shouldn't be running it.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:09:59.
    Formerly Vhab.

Okay If I wanted to hear your opinion on that I would of asked My simple question was How do I create a patch... I clicked on the ink to the patch it opens up I copy and pasted it into a file on my desktop (diff file) and One I did that I began trying to add in the stuff the other guy said to. And the reason I have Ubuntu is because windows sucks horribly... i have had to wipe my computer 6 times due to windows. Ubuntu i never Have. All I am asking is if someone can help me figure out how to add these patches from the bug report. If you cant help me with that then please leave you opinion on which OS is better, (I honestly dont care) But yea I am just stuck at what I am supposed to do to create a patch from scratch on Ubuntu I have patch 1 + 2 i just dont know how to create the patch and then install it.

Please Help Thank You

XoXo Stephani

Someone else was looking for help too about applying patches here:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...69#post5949549
    See posts #12 to #15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2GQS7ICucM&t=1m53s

weird to hear "cross platform support" in dreamworld engine demo-video around 1:55 mins.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Nothing weird about it, AoC was first announced to be running on both Windows and Xbox360... the Xbox360 version got canned, so the "cross platform support" in the video refers to a console, not an OS.

When I was 1st installing AO on linux, this pic was close to my thoughts...
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post
    Nothing weird about it, AoC was first announced to be running on both Windows and Xbox360... the Xbox360 version got canned, so the "cross platform support" in the video refers to a console, not an OS.

When I was 1st installing AO on linux, this pic was close to my thoughts...
    dx pretty much narrows down the portability :P
    anyway if AO is gonna look even half as good after engine, im playing 1 week without pants!
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

WINE patched 101

Oki the big upside with a linux have in my opinion always been the CLI since it so easy to provide help ... i suck at helping plp but i try and take a stab anyways ... here goes this is what works for me (roughly ...) i am running ubuntu to so should be similar ...

First remove wine if you have it already installed ... (if this don't work i guessing it should work anyways but try)
    #sudo apt-get remove wine

If you had previously added the winehq repository, delete it:
    #sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

Id recommend getting the code from GIT, first ya need git client try ...
    #sudo apt-get install git-core

Now find a quiet spot on ya computer, id recomend some where in your home folder but anywhere will work ...

Checkout source code for wine
    #git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git ~/wine-git

Nessecary libs, you might have these but try it anyways to be sure ...
    #sudo apt-get build-dep wine
    #sudo apt-get install fakeroot
    #sudo apt-get install checkinstall

Now build ...
    #cd ~/wine-git
    #./configure --prefix=/usr
    #make

Now install wine
    #sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no --pkgversion=1.1.33

Answer yes to everything, add a minor comment to the package if you like, and you'll have wine installed.

#mkdir ~/wine-patches
    #wget http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=30775 -O ~/wine-patches/PATCH_30775
    #wget http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=32705 -O ~/wine-patches/PATCH_32705

#cd ~/wine-git
    #patch -p1 < ~/wine-patches/PATCH_30775
    #patch -p1 < ~/wine-patches/PATCH_32705
    #make

#sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no --pkgversion=1.1.33

Next running it ...

#mkdir ~/wine-bottles
    #export WINEPREFIX=/home/<YOUR-USERNAME>/wine-bottles/<BOTTLE-NAME>

Here you might whant to do
    #winecfg

And then to start it, finnaly run
    #wine <PATH-TO-INSTALLER>/Anarchy.exe > /dev/null 2>&1

@Asclepius, let me know how it works out

@Vhab that was prolly the most stupid i heard from you ever ...

Any one knows better feel free to correct me (this is free from my head & notes .. which i in all honest prolly ripped of from the net sometimes before ...)!
    Last edited by haide; Apr 18th, 2011 at 22:28:18.
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

Quote Originally Posted by haide View Post
    @Vhab that was prolly the most stupid i heard from you ever ...
    As are snide remarks towards the devs.
    Despite the issue being tracked down to Wine, people can't help but throw in remarks of blame and/or insults towards FC about the situation.
    Even the original post still has this undertone.

Otherwise, nice 101. Thank you.
    Formerly Vhab.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Tbh, if you can't handle the complexity of Linux, you shouldn't be running it.
    Oh i was ofc referring to this part, one should never stop trying and learning from new things. About the other I have no doubt you know what you are talking about ...

And on side note i don't agree that windows is more simple than other OS. Just the other day i spent more time than i would care to admit trying to get it running on windows. In the end I just asked for a linux machine and "got on with it" ...
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

I probably shouldn't have posted that, but it still holds some truth.

Running Linux as desktop OS is a very specific and large decision.
    A decision that will lead you to have to fiddle, work around and sometimes even hack up a patch just to get your favorite game working.

Anyone running Linux should be aware of this and prepared to go the extra mile to get their favorite game running.

Then if you don't get it working and you start complaining about how you wasted money and how the game should be more Linux friendly... then maybe Linux is not the right OS for that person.
    Never forget Linux is not an officially supported platform for AO.

I'd encourage anyone to try other things, new things. Just as long as they know what they're signing up for.
    And if someone's not feeling confident in their skills to do what is needed to get AO up and running, they likely should have opted for a dual-boot setup before going all the way to Linux.
    Formerly Vhab.

hey all ...
    did a mistake with patching AO ... got the testlive patcher and want to restore the live client ...
    tried the repair.exe but got this error msg

Checking files. Please wait...
    Checking file AnarchyPatcher.exe...
    Checksum FAILED
    Downloading "http://l3cdn.ageofconan.com:80/c/Maintenance/18.4.3.0/ca7096b730ceccae3fe81750149f1d9e.gz"
    Download of file FAILED.
    Downloading "http://l3cdn.ageofconan.com:80/c/Maintenance/18.4.3.0/AnarchyPatcher.exe.gz"
    Download of file FAILED.
    Downloading "http://tx3-multi.funcom.com:80/c/Maintenance/18.4.3.0/ca7096b730ceccae3fe81750149f1d9e.gz"
    Download of file FAILED.
    Downloading "http://tx3-multi.funcom.com:80/c/Maintenance/18.4.3.0/AnarchyPatcher.exe.gz"
    Download of file FAILED.

sub?

The error message looks more like you're unable to connect to the FC server. Is your internet connection ok? Did you try again later? Did you eventually give up and reinstall?
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast