Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Request for Community help - AO & Awesomonium Now Working In Wine

Request for Community help - AO & Awesomonium Now Working In Wine

Heyas,

as most of you might have noticed, with the last patch (18.4), WINE users running AO on not supported OS'es have been locked out from the game.

Basically, it boils down to an incompatibility between new added libraries providing access to the in game store and the WINE API emulation.

There are lots of debates about the rights and wrongs using a non standardized OS (in last Friday with Means, or here or even here).

I had a PM discussion with Means about this issue and at the moment it seems as if the developer team wont put any resources in neither giving out details about the way the new libraries have been incoorporated into the game nor helping the WINE users in any form or shape.

This is fine and by absolutely NO MEANS (Oh, a wordplay ) debatable here!

This thread is a request to all you standardized OS players out there (aka, your OS starts with the letter 'W') to help directing the attention of the WINE developers to our problem and hopefully getting it solved. To do so, simply sign up on WineHQ's Bugzilla (a bug tracing system) and bump bug #25206.

Please, for the sake of *the mods*: Don't turn this into a flame- or OS-war. If you feel this request inappropriate, feel free to PM me to discuss it, but keep your troll posts at bay. This is just a request for support to get the WINE developers attention.

regards
    /Z

EDIT: Meanwhile, the problem have been solved by various source-code patches. See post #47 by Mr. Awesome himself, Lliers with detailed instructions. Apparently some smaller (but nonetheless) relevant changes already made it into WINE's source code repository. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions or need help with the macports wine-devel port.
    For those of you trusting me enough, here are the links to patched wine/winetricks disc image file for Mac OS X 10.6:
    winetricks and wine-devel 1.3.12 (patched) (public dropbox link)

EDIT 2: Added links to patched wine/winetricks disc image file for Mac OS X 10.7:
    winetricks-20110629.dmg and wine-devel 1.3.26 (patched with +aofixes) (public dropbox link). The DMG's have been confirmed to work in this thread in post #13).
    Last edited by DocJones; Sep 21st, 2011 at 09:41:53.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Yeah, it really really helps if more people vote for this bug, to be fixed at the wine-hq site.
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25206

great effort, DocJones

@Kintaii
    It felt a little like you have the best insight in exacly this problem.
    I know you're a penguin yourself.
    This is a private task and has nothing to do with FC.
    Its just the idealism to have freedom.
    Brad, help us, the penguins are lost actually.
    Last edited by raw_fox; Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:37:39.
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

I even added it to my sig yesterday!
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

There is a rough solution making the game client work again. See the wine bug link above for further reference.

Basically, the DLL needs to be replaced by an empty stub AFTER the validation. It works, i tested it, but the in game browser is disabled (the game crashes if you open it). Thats something to start with.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by raw_fox View Post
    @Kintaii
    It felt a little like you have the best insight in exacly this problem.
    I know you're a penguin yourself.
    This is a private task and has nothing to do with FC.
    Its just the idealism to have freedom.
    Bred, help us, the penguins are lost actually.
    Just for the record, I am *so* not a Linux user, so I'm afraid you guys won't be getting any help from me. I'm a Windows man only - All that Linux stuff goes way over my head, and I'm not afraid to admit that. ;P Still wish you guys luck, though, in finding a permanent solution. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    There is a rough solution making the game client work again. See the wine bug link above for further reference.

Basically, the DLL needs to be replaced by an empty stub AFTER the validation. It works, i tested it, but the in game browser is disabled (the game crashes if you open it). Thats something to start with.
    Tried that solution too and it worked nicely. The in game browser shop doesn't work, but otherwise can play the game normally.
    Oh, and I'm using wine 1.2.1

Here is the direct link how to do it: http://aodevs.com/index.php/topic,852.0.html

Thanks a lot for help!

~Huono

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Just for the record, I am *so* not a Linux user, so I'm afraid you guys won't be getting any help from me. I'm a Windows man only - All that Linux stuff goes way over my head, and I'm not afraid to admit that. ;P Still wish you guys luck, though, in finding a permanent solution. =)
    gah, im sorry, it was Macrosun :P
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

The fake DLL also works for me (not in the latest Wine though). The only problem is that RMB-look doesn't work - is this working for anyone else?

Edit:
    Actually, it's hold RMB move and hold LMB camera move that don't work.
    Last edited by bratch; Nov 25th, 2010 at 13:20:15.

Fake DLL worked for me, but man, what a pain. I voted and hopefully someone out there saavy enough will find a permanent fix for this.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Heyas,

this is a friendly bump. As there *is* currently a quite rough solution (see wine ticket and the link to aodevs), its still not really solved.
    Upcoming changes (like the possibly upcoming incooperation of the launcher's character selection into the gameclient) may (or may not) change the behavior of the interprocess communication and the loading of external libraries and can possibly lock us out again.

... ok, that was *really* just a *bump*

regards
    /Z
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

I'd almost ask for a Sticky on this one.
    good that this "hacking" of ao seems to work and let's you guys able to log in.

cheers
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by bratch View Post
    The fake DLL also works for me (not in the latest Wine though). The only problem is that RMB-look doesn't work - is this working for anyone else?

Edit:
    Actually, it's hold RMB move and hold LMB camera move that don't work.
    Having problems with RMB myself as well. I'll post if I figure it out
    Title holder: Smallest Agent on Rubi Ka (selfappointed)

Proud member of Elements of Destruction
    now recruiting

[edited by timelapse; signature limit is 10 lines]
    ^--w00t! not everyone have had a arky writing in their siggie! ftw!

This thread must not be forgotten...
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

Meow.

[bump for the linux users]
    Kaelde ~ Gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even gimpier than Kaelde

Thingymawhat of Paragon

up, my little fellow!
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)

Bump. And I just got Linux running nicely on my mini, while I wouldn't say that AO has been real good on it, its still possible to chat, PR and such... Guess I got to check the workaround, won't miss the shop anyway.
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    An optional toggle in 'settings' for the in-game browser would probably achieve the same thing if it's the browser interface that's causing the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    An optional toggle in 'settings' for the in-game browser would probably achieve the same thing if it's the browser interface that's causing the issues.
    Disabling is not an option as the dev team has already said, because they are making the game a lot more dependent on Awesomium in the (near) future.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Even though Windows is so much better than Linux, I highly support this thread. We don't need to lose any more players over this. Poor (or cheap) players need to play Anarchy too.

Quote Originally Posted by protozo View Post
    Even though Windows is so much better than Linux, I highly support this thread. We don't need to lose any more players over this. Poor (or cheap) players need to play Anarchy too.
    Trololo.. oh wait, no it's not. Some of us own licenses for every Windows version after 95.

Please come back when you've got some arguments. The only place where Windows is better than Linux is "XYZ commercial program is only available on Windows" which can only be fixed by software companies pulling their collective heads out of their asses.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast