Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want Dynacamps on Dovve's Map? Yes or No?

I vote yes. If everyone knew where the camps are. like they know where bs is then there would be more people/teams willing to do outdoor hunting, it takes too much time to find good camps and everyone is still pretty BS obsessed even through there is alot of new content (dynacamps) ingame, perhaps wf we knew there they where we'd use them more
    Faizan 216/13 Sol - Omni - Inner circle
    ¤=)===> - <===(=¤
    My type is: SKA
    Socializer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Explorer 20%

Current Equip - Still To Get!

¤=)===> - <===(=¤

I vote a very emphatic NO..

Placing dynacamps on the amp, thusly handing the info to every lazy zlob that doesnt take the time to explore and look for himself, is a bad bad BAD idea.

I've allready seen several instances of KSing out in andromeda. THe camps were meant to be fun, and a deviant from missioning.

If everyone knows where every single one is, there will indeed be camping issues. Mark my words.

Dovve- we LOVE your maps! They are top quality, professionally done aids to our game. But please please dont spoil the fun of finding a neato camp by yourself .

Thanks!
    Hangtown
    -I can't find my pants
    -The Slowest MA in Tir
    -Wise Sage to All Noobs
    -Soothsayer to the Incompetent
    -All Around Nice Guy
    -Killing Guards Is Good For the Soul!
    -Like Whoa!

Originally posted by Kenlon
    Level limits make baby Jesus cry.

Thumbs down NO

I Vote No

Playing L79 Fixer, L87 Crat, L52 Crat.

As it is, if I want to learn where some of the camps are, I can search the forums or some websites.

All the peeps that are in the so-called "rut" of BS missions have placed themselves there. All they want is another "ride" to "easy street". Let them work for something, or stay in BS, for all I care.

The peeps with "limited time due to RL". Well, I'm one of them. With my limited time I'll search for this info when I want it.

The dots would clutter your map. If they had names and/or level inidications, it would be even more clutter; but 150 gray dots on it would still be a lot of clutter.

Two versions, one with markers and one without? Come one! 90% would download the "with" version, and those few that purposely don't want "target markers" would find the other 90% buzzing in and out from one camp to another.

Wallpaper? Same thing as on the map; a bit too easy for the lazy's that cannot pull themselves from their own self-dug so-called rut. Yes, it would eliminate the "clutter" argument. But the point isn't really the clutter. It's the peeps that want tour-bus travel to all the good stuff. They'll simply minimize, look, and be on their way.

If the "herd" is stuck in BS, for whatever reason they have; let them be stuck there. Let's not point out to the herd all the other nice watering stops.

Voting No.

Martek

Post No Dyanacamps will be on the Map!

I think i've read enough to make a final decision. This thread very much confirmed my susupicions, and I won't be adding them to any map that I make.

For some adding them would really amount to a minor convienence. It would be a nice thing to have, but it's not going to make or break your gameplay experience.

For the others, that don't want it. Putting something like this out there would have a highly negative effect on their experience. They make some very strong arguments to that point that I feel are justified.

When you weigh the two agaisnt eachother it's easy to make a decision.

When I first started making this map it was to aid myself and friends getting around. I started geting more detailed about it when I noticed that putting points of interest everywere made people want to get out and see what they were.

It's fun to head out if you have limited time and go "sightseeing" and know that you will be rewarded by finding something when you get there. It also helps greatly when people want to hunt outdoors and there are meeting places that they don't need coords for.

But the bosses are too much like marking where the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is. Marking these spots would devalue all the work people put into finding them.

Thanks everyone for your arguments

-Dovve

My vote = NO

I vote an emphatic NO.

The world of Rubi-Ka isn't that big. Please do not shrink it further. There are lots of places to visit whether you are low, mid or high level -- so the I-am-too-low-level-to-go-anywhere makes poor excuse. Don't know where to go? Make friends, join guilds, look up coordinates posted at websites, etc. Plenty of avenues there.

By spoon-feeding those who cannot be bothered to go out and explore, this will absolutely erode the joy of discovery for the explorer-at-heart and the taste of surprising finds for casual travellers. These are the people who must have avenues to escape from the terrible mission treadmill that all must suffer. Levelling after title 5 is already a chore - it is not fun, it is a chore. Thinking of casually touring Camelot and wave hello to Tarasque? Ha.

Once you get past level 120, there are VERY few truly enjoyable and casual activities to do either by yourself or as a small group. Now that the new high-level mobs and high-level quests are in, everything else has to be high-level teamed and so well-coordinated that it's almost military logistics planning. That takes a lot of effort and dedication. It isn't a stroll in the park.

So you see, please consider the big picture.

If you make the world too well-known from the very beginning, players will get jaded too soon, too early. There will be few surprises left even before reaching title 4.

And what happens next? People will grumble there's nothing left to see or do thus adding even more unnecessary pressure on FC. And we all know that FC doesn't have the kind of resources to keep pumping out content that frequently or fix things that have been broken since Beta. It is obvious to anyone that understands business and marketing that they are doing what they can to keep afloat.

So basically, I think it will do more harm than good to release such a map. Thanks for listening.

And oh - thank you for opening up a public vote on it. It's a big move, and once done, can never be retracted, and any potential damage done thereafter is irreparable. So kudos to you for even considering the opinions of others before deciding on such a big move.
    Ino
    rolling leet, crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Pioneer rifle/crossbow Vanguard with a personal sidearm and a campstove
    Atlantean

AO Adventurer Professional (2003-2004)

Map design suggestion for mapmakers

Posted almost the same time so I did not see Dovve's decison, only saw it after I refreshed the page.
    Ino
    rolling leet, crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Pioneer rifle/crossbow Vanguard with a personal sidearm and a campstove
    Atlantean

AO Adventurer Professional (2003-2004)

Map design suggestion for mapmakers

ok

voting a big YES

as for the folks that enjoy finding them without a map, just keep the current version, or take a snapshot of it before teh dynacamps go in, simple as that

Love Dovve!

Yes to the Dots!
    215 MP - Proud member of Band of Brothers

I'm 133 and I thoroughly enjoy soloing dynaboss mobs. I found all my camps myself and expect that anyone else planning on doing the same should make the same effort. I think a large part of that enjoyment comes from the fact that none of the knowledge was spoiled or just handed to me.

P.S. Dovve already said she wasn't going to do it, so stop voting.

i know where most of the camps are already. did the search myself. it would be nice if it was in a map so i don't have to refer to my notes all the time. but not a necessity. so. i'm a neut in this case.

i don't care which you pick Dovve. i'd just like to say thx for making a great map tool.
    Blue Steel(TM)

E 86% - S 60% - A 33% - K 20%
    http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/

SL upgraded oct 10, 2003

RK2 - Derek"Rayfield" Zoolander
    RK2 - "Umeshiso" Maki
    RK2 - Sylvester "Code187" Vallone

Lightbulb I agree with SumSum

I agree with SumSum. Put a marker for a boss camp location on the zoomed in map. Don't label them however as that should stop the casual camper. This will help the people who are looking for appropriate outdoor hunting (and wanting to navigate around potential trouble).

Not labeling them should hopefully prevent the nasty casual campers and allow them to figure out which one is which. If you do this, please remove the names of camps from Andromeda as well to make it the same.

... and I must say... I LOVE YOUR MAP!!!
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

i would vote it on there so when peeps try to kill the boss for low hs's like me and i couldnt find anything but it wouldnt do me any good cause i cant get the regular dovves map to go in ive downloaded it and put it in the thing but it wont stay in and i get funcom's map
    Nastysavage-207 soldier-Equip-Perks

?

Originally posted by saytan
    i would vote it on there so when peeps try to kill the boss for low hs's like me and i couldnt find anything but it wouldnt do me any good cause i cant get the regular dovves map to go in ive downloaded it and put it in the thing but it wont stay in and i get funcom's map
    ?

I vote yes
    Level 200 Eng

My name was nerfed if you wish to contact me ingame please use superslang

These are great days we're living, bros! We are jolly green giants, walking the earth with guns. These people we wasted here today are the finest human beings we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world, we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth shooting.

In support of dynacamp markers

I was playing with the AOThingy server monitor and noticed something:

At all times, day or night, peak or off peak, the percentage of people outdoors is ~30%.

That means 70% of our compatriots are in mission at any one time, lowering the level of interaction in the game.

Anything that can be done to raise the number of people hunting outside should be done. Put the markers on the map, it's the right thing to do.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Re: No Dyanacamps will be on the Map!

Originally posted by Dovve
    I think i've read enough to make a final decision. This thread very much confirmed my susupicions, and I won't be adding them to any map that I make.

For some adding them would really amount to a minor convienence. It would be a nice thing to have, but it's not going to make or break your gameplay experience.

For the others, that don't want it. Putting something like this out there would have a highly negative effect on their experience. They make some very strong arguments to that point that I feel are justified.

When you weigh the two agaisnt eachother it's easy to make a decision.

When I first started making this map it was to aid myself and friends getting around. I started geting more detailed about it when I noticed that putting points of interest everywere made people want to get out and see what they were.

It's fun to head out if you have limited time and go "sightseeing" and know that you will be rewarded by finding something when you get there. It also helps greatly when people want to hunt outdoors and there are meeting places that they don't need coords for.

But the bosses are too much like marking where the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is. Marking these spots would devalue all the work people put into finding them.

Thanks everyone for your arguments

-Dovve

All I can say is

thats to bad. I know where they all are. I guess Id better not loose the paper i wrote them down on.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Thanks Dovve for you consideration before action and I agree with your decision...

Agree as well.

Also, Dovve, just have to say that I started using your map and GUI a few days ago (yes, I'm a bit slow that way) and can't believe what I was missing out on. Add me to the long list of "Thank you's" for taking the time to create this.
    Demarcus "Cellestron" Lindner
    Agent, ~Mjlonir~

So the end result will be that the only decent map available of RK will be a relatively primitive and purposefully inaccurate one. This is reminiscent of the state of affairs in the late middle ages and Renaissance where religious interests fought to stifle knowledge at every opportunity. In effect, you are siding with the "flat-earthers." For a cartographer, that is a very interesting position to take.

Those who have posted here that they feel that the camps should "belong" to the ones who took the time to find them are being honest, if a little short sighted. Any other arguments against an accurate map are either disingenuous or naive.

Originally posted by Suzsu
    purposefully inaccurate one
    I don't think "inaccurate" is an accurate term for either the default map or Dovve's map. "Incomplete" maybe, but not inaccurate (at least not delibrately).

Your argument is for a more complete map not a more accurate map. And for a more complete map, your argument would be better directed towards Funcom than towards a fan.

Cheers,
    Martek

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast