Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want Dynacamps on Dovve's Map? Yes or No?

Want Dynacamps on Dovve's Map? Yes or No?

After a a lot of conversation with players I had decided not to add any more dyna camps to the map after the andromeda ones (for the time being anyway). This is for a few reasons:

1) It's a spoiler
    2) It creates potential camping problems
    3) It will clutter the map quite a bit (I could probably find a way to do it so it not "that" bad but it would still add a lot of noise to what is already a pretty filled screen)

While I did make this map to encourage exploration and get people outside I don't want to have a negative impact on people's experience either. Does it wreck the game to be able to come right in on day one and know where everything is?

I do know that some of the bosses drop some very unique loot. And not many people know where they are right now.

I bring this up as it's the #1 request I get for a map addition. I'm asking here becuase I make this more for the community as a whole than myself, so if there is a big enough tilt for doing it I will do it.

Please post your thoughts, solutions and the level at which you play the game the most (low level game 1-100, high level game 100-200) as it will help decide what camps may be added. Developers thoughts on this are also welcome.

Thanks everybody

[edit]Final decision is on page 3.[/edit]
    Last edited by Dovve; Oct 12th, 2002 at 19:31:19.

I would vote a big yes. But thats just me.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

I would vote, yes. Depending on the program you use, just put them on a seperate layer (photoshop or Paintshop Prof for ex.) and offer a with and without version of the map.

Actually it might help to prevent camping. Come to one camp, and it's busy, just move onto another one.

I vote YES
    Trevor "Kommizar" Goodchild
    Bureaucrat and a
    Board of Director of
    The Masonic Templars

Smile

Yes, and I agree a version with or without would be nice.
    ("...Free the might from fleshy mire! Boil the blood in heart of fire! Gone, gone the form of man! Rise the Demon Etrigan!")
    ===================

*Just another God of the Mind*

Explorer 73%
    Killer 66%
    Achiever 40%
    Socializer 20%

it would rock
    Leamartini - 219 Doctor Too good for enlightenment ...
    Claraa - 150 Bureaucrat Twink wannabe
    Poleemploi - 161 Agent On the way to froob enlightenment !

(04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: i tab +double
    (04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: skillz
    (04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: no time for t

No!

People do not appreciate what is handed to them, no matter how much they want it. As it stands, it is not a lot of work to find any of these mobs and the map itself is an important communication device in doing so.

The majority of new boss mobs are already easily located using the markers already on Dovve's map. For example, The One is by the ruins in SFH. If you do not have Dovve's map, you end up going by coordinates. If you do, you actually describe the area: the ruins in SFH, SE of the omni outpost.

Putting a little red dot with The One or a number next to it completely removes people from interacting with their environment and actually looking around to try to find something. Also, there is no need to talk with others to try to get locations of new mobs, which is an important part of community ineraction.

Knowing where uniques/bosses are is somewhat of a point of pride and generally comes with experience outside of BS, good contacts and communication skills, and effort into keeping up on the forums. Putting all of this information on the in game map makes this experience trivial.

I vote 'No.'

For newbies, exploring the world is an awe-inspiring experience; having a full readout of where everything interesting and/or profitable is would kill that sense of wonder in its cradle.

For experienced players, it would turn the dynacamps into another version of missions, with the target areas clearly marked for them to find.

I think it's too much of a spoiler, in the literal sense of spoiling peoples' gaming experience. It makes it too easy. Lots of people want easy, of course, but that doesn't mean they should get it
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

I'd like to see the locations of Jack and his clones on the map but I think 140 dots for the dynacamps is probably too many dots.
    Ionicdude - In it to win it no matter how you spin it

Exclamation no

I say no!!! for all and more of the reasons above.

Yes please, InGame I'm really busy and although I like to explore I dont' have the time for it. When I get a bug to go somewhere new I like to GO there. Not wander around aimlessly 'till I get called back to my peeps.
    Ismael "Dfalcour" Depaolo
    Omni-Tek Blackwolf Operations
    President

Federico "Falcour" Peasly
    Applicant (Wolf Pack Support Team)

Mel "GremlinFeet" Drapkin
    Unit Member (Independant Contractee)

No.

If you decide to do this please make an older version of the map without dynacamps available for download as well.

Please just make it so you can see the dyna's are there.. but don't say what type or lvl range it is.. just make an dot.. and thats it..

No :/

I'd hate to see people that just go from DynaCamp to DynaCamp killing all the bosses...

I agree with your points #1 and #2...

Play the game most at Lvl 175

Aye

I vote Aye, since I too am time strapped in RL and would find it useful just to go to certain places directly and hunt. I think where it gets into too much information is to mark a particular mob as dropping a unique item. I'd oppose that, but just knowing where the dynacamps are does not mean you know which ones are worth going to. That you have to discover for yourself. Having said all that why not make a map with and a map without and let the players choose what fits for their playstyle? That to me makes the most sense of all.
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

exploring is fun...but re exploring when you lost the paper where you wrote coords isnt fun that's why i voted "yes". (and 1 simple dot for each camp would be enough...you would still need to explore a bit to find a camp for your lvl )
    Leamartini - 219 Doctor Too good for enlightenment ...
    Claraa - 150 Bureaucrat Twink wannabe
    Poleemploi - 161 Agent On the way to froob enlightenment !

(04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: i tab +double
    (04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: skillz
    (04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: no time for t

Vote Yes Enthusiastically

I was a total newb four months ago. Didn't even know about your map until I'd been playing two months, so it seems that the newb/spoiler argument doesn't hold water. A persistent newb can find the coordinates of anything in 2 minutes here or in the game anyway. I remember the days before I found your map when I was consistently eaten 4-5 times a weekend running to missions. This experience was not "awe-inspiring," Jynne , and more importantly, not fun in the least. Though I got a yalm shortly after getting your map, there was nice interval where I was hardly ever eaten by steering clear of certain danger areas. Newbs get eaten quite enough between 20-80, map or no. More detail in your map = Less newbs eaten.

Now, at intermediate level, I really appreciate the maximum amount of detail in a map. It's not as if extremely detailed maps wouldn't be available on a real RK2. Here in the 20th century, I can stand outside and using a PDA, I can tell you exactly where the nearest Italian restaurant is and how far. On RK2, 30000 years in the future, I can stand in Rome and tell you that a "machine" is a block away. LOL. More detail = better and more realistic gameplay. People are stuck in a rut of BS missions. Mapping the 150+ new spawns might give peeps some incentive to get out and explore the world instead of running another BS mission.

Camping- It's not the people who need your map that are camping. It's the hard hard core MMORPGers that already know where everything is and want to keep it a "guild secret". For example, I see my character going back to Foreman's one day to help newbs get guns/suits/rings. I will never make that dungeon a "camp stop" because the concept doesn't appeal to me. When I do go, though, it is so nice not to have to ask where it is. Same applies to any static game content. /Me questions the ulterior motives of some of the "nay" posters here.

With so many new outdoor camps in the game, having more of them mapped, as one poster has suggested, will lead to less, not more camping.

Well, in any event, thanks so much for your map and skin; they have really made a difference in my RK experience, and if FC employed 10 of you (or even 1), I believe this game would be much much better.

Design and Elegance before Spoilers!

The ingame map is simply too small.

IF you decide to put the camps on there it would be too much clutter on a beautiful map.

Suggestion:

If you want to make a version of your map with that stuff, make it a wallpaper for desktops. You would have enought space to put all the markers that you want then.

Hiyas btw
    Vergil : OT NT : Dept of Applied Nanotechnology
    Jobe Plaza
    Retired NT Professional
    Proud Owner of RubiKa's Biggest Banjo Collection
    Server First!

I vote no.

As someone above has said you don't appreciate or enjoy what's handed to you with no effort on your part. Camp locations would help the high levels as they fly from camp to camp killing bosses , but it would ruin the fun for low lvls.
    Sredniaka Sherrmanaka Posthasteaka Thanatopsysaka Vashtareliusaka Nnerroaka Alexxander

"Quidquid latine dictum, sit altum viditur"

Sredni Vashtar went forth,
    His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.
    His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.
    Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
    by HH Munro

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast