Thread: Item Store: XP/SK Converters

Lightbulb Item Store: XP/SK Converters

Idea
    Instead of selling VP packages in the item store, sell a Nano/HUD Item that, when equipped, sacrifices a portion of your XP and converts it into VP (substantially less VP than XP of course). It would only work for XP gained via mobs, not by mission rewards.

I have not thought about the percentage of VP that would be given but it would be a relatively low/moderate amount for a noticeable XP loss.

This would allow PvM players to gain VP while they level, albeit slowly which I think is preferable to instant an 1m VP from some package.

Problems
    The only down side I can see about this is keeping a toon level locked at hecks and getting more or less unlimited VP.

This could be fixed easily by making the device:
    • TL6+
    • not work at all when Disable XP gains is on
    • not work on hecks at all

What do you think?

This seems reasonable, given the assumption that we want people to be able to buy VP. It's not like people arent already farming VP as it is...

I like more ways to get VP but I'm worried that this would further drive PvMers (such as myself) away from BS.

I enjoy BS, in as much as I don't mind being sent to decon several times in a round, I just wish it ran more often at all TLs.

+1 for creative thinking. Hai Den!

Quote Originally Posted by Gora View Post
    I like more ways to get VP but I'm worried that this would further drive PvMers (such as myself) away from BS.
    Well, with the new purchasable VP packages and ofab become yesdrop, a lot of people are going to be driven away from BS as it is. Even if you don't want to PvP everyone knows someone with way to much VP that will buy them some ofab.

An item like this would give more of a xp stim benefit (which is much more in line with what FC says the shop will provide) as opposed to the instant power that buying VP has.

Hai Den!
    Hai!

Quote Originally Posted by Deninan View Post
    Problems
    The only down side I can see about this is keeping a toon level locked at hecks and getting more or less unlimited VP.
    How is this a problem? Toons currently level lock themselves and play BS all day long to earn more or less unlimited VP and it hasn't caused a server meltdown yet.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    How is this a problem? Toons currently level lock themselves and play BS all day long to earn more or less unlimited VP and it hasn't caused a server meltdown yet.
    That is a good point.

I originally said it would be a problem since PvPers would disagree with any method that would allow "unlimited" VP that is not BS. Also, since PvPers tend to be more vocal than PvMers, thus getting their way more often, I was thinking the only way this would ever not get shutdown is by imposing some artificial constraints on it.

But, then again, PvMers would already be giving up a fair bit by using a item like this such as a HUD spot and leveling slower so maybe those constraints would not be necessary.

Engineers have places they can go afk indefinately (safely) with their pets on hunt and farm xp. I would not advise this sort of suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    Engineers have places they can go afk indefinately (safely) with their pets on hunt and farm xp. I would not advise this sort of suggestion.
    There are various ways to solve this type of situation. The item not working when Disable XP Gains is on is one such solution.

Also, if the mobs are green or grey they would give little to no VP making it difficult to afk farm like you mention. The only difference this would make in your scenario is they would get a bit of VP while leveling as they normally would.

One thing to point out is that many people would not buy VP packages but an item like this is something they might buy. Earning VP gives a feeling of accomplishment as opposed to instant gratification. I am sure I am not the only person to feel this way.

I like more ways to get VP but I'm worried that this would further drive PvMers (such as myself) away from BS.!
    Thats kinda the point. Haha
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Nobody does BS anyway, hardly ever runs so other ways to acquire vp would be good.

Could also just fix BS to make more people go. But I have yet to see an idea that if implemented would make me want to go to BS.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlonel View Post
    Nobody does BS anyway, hardly ever runs so other ways to acquire vp would be good.
    It's those other ways to acquire VP that are the cause of BS not running...
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    It's those other ways to acquire VP that are the cause of BS not running...
    If not for those other ways many people would not have vp, other ways were put in place because nobody does BS. Who wants to play the same pvp map over and over? Gets boring quick which is why BS never runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    Could also just fix BS to make more people go. But I have yet to see an idea that if implemented would make me want to go to BS.
    There have been many, many suggestions to get BS to run - the only thing done is to tweak the levels and the current map changes - not saying good or bad, but those are the only things to happen in years

Here are some things suggested - I bet the player base could get to 100 without any trouble

1 - Blue/Red - dont have to wait for Clan/Omni/Neut - just need # players
    2 - More maps
    3 - Different "game" types - king of the hill, FFA, etc
    4 - Really ...MORE MAPS!
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I say keep the omni/clan fight in tower wars and world pvp and make bs auto-balance any side so get BS running as Utopian suggested. Think of BS as more training grounds for world pvp and NW. This way you could even get your org together and form teams to fight against each other! Granted this may cause some issues with farming but doesn't that kinda happen now anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    I say keep the omni/clan fight in tower wars and world pvp and make bs auto-balance any side so get BS running as Utopian suggested. Think of BS as more training grounds for world pvp and NW. This way you could even get your org together and form teams to fight against each other! Granted this may cause some issues with farming but doesn't that kinda happen now anyways?
    Aye, good point indeed.

Also from my personal experience, ever since they "nerfed" the BS, playing on my Agent in particular, i've almost completely stopped going there, same with my NT. Granted i'm not the most experienced PvP'er out there, mostly because i dont feel much joy in it, tho partaking actively as a sneaky class which have absolutely no where to hide properly, sticking to higher ground etc. The best sollution would be making a PvM alternative for getting VP's, since the OFAB is such a good choice in armoring at low/mid levels in my experience.
    Either way, sticking sneak on a class, toggle auto walk and go afk, does fix my VP problems, surely having to change direction once in awhile beats having to actively partake in something as unpleasent as current BS.