Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Notum Wars!

The Notum Wars!

The Notum Wars

Wow!

Count me in!
    TOMTEMOR

Wonder if I will give up my parrot for a yellow yalm?

Thumbs up

Tomt, I agree... I read that and veiwed the trailer!

I think the booster pack is a lil more then some might have expected
    You can do anything at Zombo

Umm... The only thing that is unexpected so far is the inclusion of the new vehicles.
    The new character creation system and arrival hall will be patched in 14.6, which makes it rather strange that they include it in a trailer for the booster. If anything, the trailer makes me even more convinced that there isn't anything else to the pack besides the towers and the vehicles.
    If this meagre content is what we have to look forward to with every booster (at $20 a pop, not including shipping) I'll pass, thank you very much.

I actually hope that Funcom will pleasantly surprise me on the content front in the booster before it is released. So far they haven't...
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Originally posted by Dominata
    Umm... The only thing that is unexpected so far is the inclusion of the new vehicles.
    The new character creation system and arrival hall will be patched in 14.6, which makes it rather strange that they include it in a trailer for the booster. If anything, the trailer makes me even more convinced that there isn't anything else to the pack besides the towers and the vehicles.
    If this meagre content is what we have to look forward to with every booster (at $20 a pop, not including shipping) I'll pass, thank you very much.

I actually hope that Funcom will pleasantly surprise me on the content front in the booster before it is released. So far they haven't...
    Bah, dont matter to me... but neither does your opinion :P any content to this game is good... altho its being payed for :P

However... I do agree that it shouldnt cost 20$... they say they are including the full game with it... but should give an option to get it without for 5$ or give it out free
    Last edited by Hisaomaro; Oct 11th, 2002 at 15:48:09.

Originally posted by Hisaomaro

However... I do agree that it shouldnt cost 20$... they say they are including the full game with it... but should give an option to get it without for 5$ or give it out free
    Yeah, probably. I don't mind all that much, though. Perhaps I can finally get one of my real life friends to play the game when I hold a nice shiny cd with 1 month free game time in front of them

I'm starting to like this Booster Pack more and more.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice... pizzaservice... booster... booster... pizzaservice...
    hell.. ill take the booster
    My Legion of Madness
    Shiggee
    Screws

Officially wiped by: a Leet

Slyyk: Real Fixers don't PvP because there is no money in it

And that's why I like the whole 'Booster' idea. You get the option to pass. Me? I want a ground attack vehicle. I hate Yalmahas. Makes me too disconnected from the world
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by Kuroshio

And that's why I like the whole 'Booster' idea. You get the option to pass. Me? I want a ground attack vehicle. I hate Yalmahas. Makes me too disconnected from the world
    Yep, it is good that you have the option to pass on it, only problem is that they are making BIG changes to the main game in order to accomodate the booster.
    They changed almost all of the 25% and 0% gas areas to 75% and that must have been in preparation for the booster since no one in his or her right mind would attempt to build a tower in a zone with less that 75% gas. I also strongly suspect that the LLTS nerf is largely because of the booster, since PvP apparently will play a larger role now.
    I liked the 25% zones, I was out there all the time snooping around and have never ever been ganked. By changing the gas areas you take away most of the options for people to have faction wars or even big internal PvP practices in mayhem zones. If we are going to fight now it will be over the towers, and that is a limitation that I do not approve of.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Originally posted by Shiggee
    pizzaservice... booster...
    What's pizzaservice?

I'm not trying to be snarky (I'm never guilty of that ... ) but it strikes me that pizzaservice must be something different from pizza, because I can get a pizza delivered to my door for about half the cost of the Booster.

Is pizzaservice something else, or do you just have expen$ive pizza?

Yep, it is good that you have the option to pass on it, only problem is that they are making BIG changes to the main game in order to accomodate the booster.
    They changed almost all of the 25% and 0% gas areas to 75% and that must have been in preparation for the booster since no one in his or her right mind would attempt to build a tower in a zone with less that 75% gas. I also strongly suspect that the LLTS nerf is largely because of the booster, since PvP apparently will play a larger role now.
    I liked the 25% zones, I was out there all the time snooping around and have never ever been ganked. By changing the gas areas you take away most of the options for people to have faction wars or even big internal PvP practices in mayhem zones. If we are going to fight now it will be over the towers, and that is a limitation that I do not approve of.
    Gas Suppression levels is one of the things that concern me the least about the enhanced PvP gameplay Notum Wars will bring. If anything the way the gas levels have dropped suddenly to accomodate an event, it hints that Funcom:
    1. Isn't afraid to play with the gas suppression levels
    2. Has no intention of the gas levels remaining static throughout the life of AO.

So if the changes were made in preparation of the booster, it means they can always change them back (or drop them completely across the dimension) at will...

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Gas Suppression levels is one of the things that concern me the least about the enhanced PvP gameplay Notum Wars will bring. If anything the way the gas levels have dropped suddenly to accomodate an event, it hints that Funcom:
    1. Isn't afraid to play with the gas suppression levels
    2. Has no intention of the gas levels remaining static throughout the life of AO.

So if the changes were made in preparation of the booster, it means they can always change them back (or drop them completely across the dimension) at will...

Well, it concerns me since it is a matter of opinion if the booster will enhance PvP or not. Towers will be camped and there will be just a couple of factions that will dominate if they do not totally rework the PvP system.
    Gas levels have changed before and I have nothing against that if it's done moderately. But this massive change means that the only PvP will be around towers and maybe 2ho and it is my opinion that this is a bad way of handling an addition to the main game. Funcom will probably not change the gas back except maybe in a few areas since so many people placing towers would be ganked. It is not a question if they can drop the gas at will, it is a question of why they do it and I think this is the wrong way.
    People that want to PvP but not buy the booster will be shafted since they will not get all the benefits from the towers, they will get some but not all if I understand it correctly.

For a booster that really doesn't add all that much content it sure changes a lot in the main game, wether you buy the booster or not. The booster limits our options when it comes to playing, which is funny since I thought it would add to the world.

Of course, this is just my opinion...
    Dominata
    Member of THM

I think FC might have some other things up their sleeves. I'm all excited fro the pack. ^_^
    So, I showed her my dictionary to show her
    the words that I know, not quite desiring to,
    and how loquacious I can be when I set my
    mind down to it. But she wasn't impressed.
    Oh no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!
    She wasn't impressed at all.

caduceus

Originally posted by Iphigenia

What's pizzaservice?

I'm not trying to be snarky (I'm never guilty of that ... ) but it strikes me that pizzaservice must be something different from pizza, because I can get a pizza delivered to my door for about half the cost of the Booster.

Is pizzaservice something else, or do you just have expen$ive pizza?
    That all depends.... if youre alone with no one to share pizza(s) with.... then of course its only going to be half... but on avg two larges cost 15-18$? for those of you who only need one pizza its prolly 6-8$
    Last edited by Hisaomaro; Oct 12th, 2002 at 01:25:58.

Don't forget to fix the soldier class before this great booster comes out!

Cause it wouldn't make fun playing a gimped and underpowered pvp class like soldier in this notum wars booster pack.

Just think about it FC a notum "war" without soldiers? Makes no sense or?
    You do it cause you have to do it - but you don't do it cause you want to do it.

Well, it concerns me since it is a matter of opinion if the booster will enhance PvP or not. Towers will be camped and there will be just a couple of factions that will dominate if they do not totally rework the PvP system.
    Gas levels have changed before and I have nothing against that if it's done moderately. But this massive change means that the only PvP will be around towers and maybe 2ho and it is my opinion that this is a bad way of handling an addition to the main game. Funcom will probably not change the gas back except maybe in a few areas since so many people placing towers would be ganked. It is not a question if they can drop the gas at will, it is a question of why they do it and I think this is the wrong way.
    People that want to PvP but not buy the booster will be shafted since they will not get all the benefits from the towers, they will get some but not all if I understand it correctly.

For a booster that really doesn't add all that much content it sure changes a lot in the main game, wether you buy the booster or not. The booster limits our options when it comes to playing, which is funny since I thought it would add to the world.

Of course, this is just my opinion...
    Considering the evidence you have to support your opinion, I'm glad you realize it's just an opinion

We have no idea if the towers will even be campable. For all we know the towers might have HP and heal deltas that make Tarasque look like a leet, requiring sustained assaults to overcome.

And if I understand it correctly only the tower's owner will get any extended benefits while the rest of the people in his organization receive equal benefits, whether they're booster pack owners or not.

I see a lot of concerns based on nothing more than imagination and a bit of bitterness here. Till someone outside of Funcom employees actually try the Notum Wars and reports back, I think you're jumping the gun...A lot.

We have no idea if the towers will even be campable. For all we know the towers might have HP and heal deltas that make Tarasque look like a leet, requiring sustained assaults to overcome.

And if I understand it correctly only the tower's owner will get any extended benefits while the rest of the people in his organization receive equal benefits, whether they're booster pack owners or not.

I see a lot of concerns based on nothing more than imagination and a bit of bitterness here. Till someone outside of Funcom employees actually try the Notum Wars and reports back, I think you're jumping the gun...A lot.
    Of course the towers will be campable, just stay out of their reach until they cycle to 25% gas, then attack. It will be harder to attack than defending, but at the same time they can't make the towers too hard to take down if FC wants people to be figthing over them. You won't be allowed to plonk towers down just anywhere and in the places that you will be allowed to, there will be fighting and where there is fighting in AO, there is camping.
    A lot of the balancing here will depend on how many towers each playfield will allow. I read an article where FC stated the following; 'In some playfields there will be more than one tower allowed.'
    I sincerely hope this means one tower per faction and not just one tower, period...

I base my concerns on common sense and on the way Funcom have handled the game from day one. I'm not bitter, but as someone who has been in the game since the release I'm disappointed in Funcom.
    So many bugs and glitches still remains to be taken care of which should be taken fixed before any additions to the game are released. When the booster is released it will not integrate in a smooth way, prepare for lots and lots of patching. I do not say this because I am bitter, but an addition like this will inevitably cause problems, big problems. I really hope I'm wrong about this, but you just have to look at FC's patching history to see that this concern is wellfounded.

I really want FC to succeed, I love the setting and AO still has so much potential, but I do not believe that these boosters will pay off in the long run. Not enought content for the price they are asking and they can only release so many before people get fed up.

But then again... That is only my opinion...
    Dominata
    Member of THM

I really want FC to succeed, I love the setting and AO still has so much potential, but I do not believe that these boosters will pay off in the long run. Not enought content for the price they are asking and they can only release so many before people get fed up.
    We still have some time before the release... so we dont know anything more then they tell us... so who knows how much content there is. But I havent heard any word on more boosters from now until the expansion... we will just have to see

Of course the towers will be campable, just stay out of their reach until they cycle to 25% gas, then attack. It will be harder to attack than defending, but at the same time they can't make the towers too hard to take down if FC wants people to be figthing over them. You won't be allowed to plonk towers down just anywhere and in the places that you will be allowed to, there will be fighting and where there is fighting in AO, there is camping.
    A lot of the balancing here will depend on how many towers each playfield will allow. I read an article where FC stated the following; 'In some playfields there will be more than one tower allowed.'
    I sincerely hope this means one tower per faction and not just one tower, period...

I base my concerns on common sense and on the way Funcom have handled the game from day one. I'm not bitter, but as someone who has been in the game since the release I'm disappointed in Funcom.
    So many bugs and glitches still remains to be taken care of which should be taken fixed before any additions to the game are released. When the booster is released it will not integrate in a smooth way, prepare for lots and lots of patching. I do not say this because I am bitter, but an addition like this will inevitably cause problems, big problems. I really hope I'm wrong about this, but you just have to look at FC's patching history to see that this concern is wellfounded.

But then again... That is only my opinion...
    Like I said, considering the evidence you have to support your opinions I'm glad you realize they're just opinions.

I've been here since beta 2 and seen more than an eyeful of mistakes from Funcom. I've also seen things of pure genious from them as well. Do we get to set the priorities on bugs and content. No we don't. We all have our own individual priorities and its easy to sit back forgetting that Funcom has to attempt to satisfy everyone's priorities, along their investors.

And yes, I say you are bitter. But myself, I'm jaded. I work in IS. I admin a small server cluster for my job. No upgrade nor update to the servers has ever gone as smoothly as Microsoft or Mandrake has promised. I've played MMOGs longer than some people have had computers, starting with some of the 1st MUDs ever (yes, I had an account on Genesis). But even being a jaded IS professional I can see some good in your scenario: if the orgs are all out camping each other's towers, they won't be camping the rest of the content

if the orgs are all out camping each other's towers, they won't be camping the rest of the content
    That alone would make my $19.95 very well spent
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast