Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booster pack, why I can't get it on-line?

I also agree there should be a cheaper, downloadable version.

It is silly to buy the pack, get another client CD that I'll never use. I'd like to mention that a local Electronics Boutique is selling AO special edition for $9.95. Why would I spend more for the booster than the original client?

-Sol
    I'll blame an early Sunday morning and lots of booze on Saturday. That ok? - Cz

roots. they're not just for trees anymore. - Eahii

...what good is the Duck Explosion skill ? The only thing I've found so far that explodes are chests. - Muminka

Who said that even if there WERE a downloadable version it would be any cheaper? Look at the download edition of AO itself. It's priced the same as the cost of buying it in most stores (some stores may charge a little more, but that's Funcom's fault). The idea here is that you are not buying the CD, you are buying the software contained on the CD and the license key to activate it.

With this being the precedent that was set, I wouldn't look for any cost savings in a downloadable version, just a little less hassle and waiting time.

When I first started a year ago, I did the math between downloading and purchasing from a store. If you take into account the 30 day free trial you get from the store copy, it works out to be a much better deal.

Still, $10 for a download or $20 for a store copy with a free client, I would prefer the download, as I can get it immediately without having to bother going out to buy it, and I save $10 that I don't need to spend on a client.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Ehrm. You also get a full, 30-day trial period with the downloaded version of AO. You just have to pay for the client after 7 days ($19.99, last time I checked).

Then the 30-day no-charge period starts, then they charge you for your first "normal" period subscription.

Originally posted by Gyrmyth
    Who said that even if there WERE a downloadable version it would be any cheaper?
    No packing, or shipping cost. No need to cut a set of CDs. If FC didn't lower the cost for a downloadable version, I'd consider it complete BS.

About as much BS as having a downloadable client, but not a downloadable booster. Poor form...

-Sol

...what good is the Duck Explosion skill ? The only thing I've found so far that explodes are chests. - Muminka

Arrow

And the downloadable client is exactly the same price as the store copy (slightly less in the UK where the game is on shelves at £10).

A downloadable version would be for the convenience factor only, don't think they'll sell it any cheaper (though you would save postage...)
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by Solstyce

No need to cut a set of CDs. If FC didn't lower the cost for a downloadable version, I'd consider it complete BS.
    The majority of the cost in making a set of CDs is in the setup fee, not in replication fee. They're going to do boxes anyways, so they're not gonna save money on the CD replication front. They *have* to do boxes. If you don't understand why, then this argument is over, because you're... well, I hope you understand why FC needs to do a boxed version.

Why should FC lower the cost for the downloadable version? No packing fees, but they have to pay for bandwidth. These *probably* work out to about the same amount, in the end.

So, I'd find it reasonable for them to say "Same price for both".

But I also think it'd be reasonable to allow us to purchase it online.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin

They *have* to do boxes. If you don't understand why, then this argument is over, because you're... well, I hope you understand why FC needs to do a boxed version.

So, I'd find it reasonable for them to say "Same price for both".

But I also think it'd be reasonable to allow us to purchase it online.
    I understand full well. what I don't understand is why they wouldn't have a downloadable client with the boxed version. My argument is not that they shouldn't have a boxed version, they indeed need one. But they also need a downloadable booster. I also believe in same price for both...but right now the original client is cheaper than the upcoming booster.

Read my statments fully before you make assumptions of my intelligence over a trivial issue. Never once have I stated there should not be a boxed version.

Edit Note: Worded things a little better as not to have them misunderstood.

-Sol
    Last edited by Solstyce; Oct 28th, 2002 at 05:14:17.

Hmm...should I mention I found the special edition of AO for $2.95 a few weeks ago?

I have a mere 56k modem [sad, isn't it?] and even I would rather download the booster as a patch if it were offered cheaper that way, than to spend the extra bucks on a boxed copy. [Especially if the booster is found to somewhat buggy, and I'd rather not kick myself for spending too much for stuff that doesn't work....but I'm sure that belongs in a different thread. ]
    Watashi banbutsu hyaku fushigi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12