Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10+ minute snare!?! Why god why!?!?!

10+ minute snare!?! Why god why!?!?!

Is it realy neccesary to have mobs snare us in missions for 10+ minutes? I fail to see how this adds to the gameplay in any way. I can understand 2 minutes but 10+? Why? Is there any reasoning for this aside from just boring players to death?

Just curious and bored since I am going on minute 11 of a 12 minute snare =/

Ok, time to rebuff again.

Mega^|3io
    Actually, I have to agree with Thwak. It's so darn annoying for me, lol.

I cannot ever succesfully cast a debuff on myself -- it's a PM/SI based nano, which I have very little off -- and I have over 800-900 Nano Resist.. so.. I can't get it off unless I'm attacked. *snifflewiffles*
    ~Chris

Unhappy

Roots and snares should not last more than about 3 minutes. If FC have any good reason for snares lasting as long as they do, I want to hear it.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Because they use the same roots/snares players do?

Nerf my snares and you'll have one pissed-off fixer cuz he can no longer root-park when I go soloing outdoors.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

snares roots should have a 1-3 minute max and be unbreakable but resistable with the proper amount of NR

If roots and Snares were unbreakable, you could kill melee mobs with impugnity. Just root it and get out of range and shoot it till it died.

If Snares and roots were limited to 3 minutes duration, you would not be able to snare a group of 3 monsters and then lead one of them away to fight it alone.

Believe it or not, sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes for a Fixer to kill a monster in the desert.

Arrow

OK, how about

if ( (target.isPlayer()==true) && (nano.duration > 180) ) {
    nano.duration = 180;
    }

not exactly complex...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

How about a tool based on Nanoprogramming or Electrical Engineering that when used on a friendly target that is not in combat, clears speed reduction and movement restriction nanoformulas? After all, we're talking about computer programs run in a containment unit.

Could actually add to the interaction and fun of team combat.

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    How about a tool based on Nanoprogramming or Electrical Engineering that when used on a friendly target that is not in combat, clears speed reduction and movement restriction nanoformulas? After all, we're talking about computer programs run in a containment unit.

Works for me, but for soloers it'd probably be better to have an alternate version (can take multiple tries, recycles every 10 seconds, non-combat only, self-only) that only has a level req to use (I said level because it's the ONLY thing everyone has to raise constantly. )

Having both, the MP/engi/NT with the NP or EE skill can easily remove roots from teammates, and soloers can remove roots faster than they'd run out.

Decent compromise, I'd think.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Originally posted by Bionitrous

two problems I see... Debuffs were intended to be long for team PvP which will be more important after Shadowlands... Snares are one of the most effective tools in Camelot at the moment...

Also there are several nano programs with hostile or negative effects... Agent Crits buffs... Soldiers have Helepolis and Total Focus... Heals with DoT's... Wrangles...

maybe certain high level debuffs should be removed from mobs altogether... if they removed most of the high level snares from mob casting the lower ones would be better... same is true of several other debuffs that don't effect a players combat or nano skills...

Originally posted by Darkbane
    OK, how about

if ( (target.isPlayer()==true) && (nano.duration > 180) ) {
    nano.duration = 180;
    }

not exactly complex...
    Hmm...that would be: "Target NPCFamily < 1", actually IIRC.

Seriously, though...I assume there are logic blocks in the fighting routines already, set to handle exception to damage. (e.g. PvP stuff.) While I can't speak for certain, since the database is the only part of AO I have any interest in disassembling =P, I'm pretty sure something like this could be done.

However, there could be limitations that could keep this from happening...who knows?

Just as a matter of course, Funcom seems to avoid code-based solutions as much as possible.

I agree with the original poster...I sucks getting hit with a 20 minute snare with no other mobs nearby, when walking is about 50x faster than running.

-Jayde

What's with the MOB's who root you with 2% of your life left and then just stay there?

What would be the effect if they rooted you in that circumstance and then broke off combat and fled? You could then break the root using a debuff (as you would no longer be in combat) and pursue or regroup.

I got no problem with being rooted as long as I can nuke myself or debuff a skill after I am no longer in combat. But, every time a MOB roots me and then stands right next to me and keeps shooting I gotta wonder what the programmers were thinking.

had this with my bot once. out of chargers bad situation. bad guy went down.. Bot is snared... and when my nano recharged swimming inexperice wouldn't break it... So i sat there for 15 minutes.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Noooo

I have on several occasions used every one of the 16 minutes my snare lasts. Some dynaboss mobs have egregious HP supplies, and they *will* take half an hour of constant shooting by one guy to take down.

If it's such a big problem, then follow these easy steps.

1) Go to store
    2) Buy Swimming Inexperience nano from basic non-prof nano machine
    3) Cast this on self whenever you become snared or rooted
    4) WIN THE GAME

Don't nerf the hell out of fixer kiting just because you're too lazy to go to the store.

Sometimes you have to execute Swimming Inexperience 2 or even 3 times. Each Snare and Root has a built in chance of breaking. If you didn't get it on the first shot, try again. The easiest are about a 40% chance of breaking, the worst are around 20% as I recall.

"Don't nerf the hell out of fixer kiting just because you're too lazy to go to the store."

I said nothing about nerfing Fixers or anything at all for that matter in regards to PvP. This was strictly about PvM. As for the swimming inexpierience bit, I didn't know that worked so thanks for that I guess. New to the game so forgive my ignorance in not knowing that Swimming Inexpeirience would cancel a snare. How fookin stupid of me. I mean, it's obvious that SWIMMING INEXPIERIENCE would cancel snare!!121 GAH!

It would be obvious if you knew that any hostile nano or physical damage has a chance of breaking a snare. If you played a rooting/snaring profession, you'd be well aware of the fragile nature of these two types of nanoprograms.

Would you not think that 'Is there anyway to prevent having to wait ten minutes for a snare to time out?' would have been a better received post?

You woulda gotten a dozen replies offering knowledge.

Shrug I find it annoying after i snare a mob or root said mob..the minute it takes a certain amount of dmg it breaks. FC doesnt want you to kite or fear kite because they dont want to learn how to program it correctly or fix resists. Verant made it work, in fact necro's and sk's used this as a technique on many mobs, some were strictly immune or resisted it but it was done well regardless.

the real question should be, whydo mobs cast that 10min snare ( or 3 min root, or 3 min 212 DoT) always seconds before they die?
    Mick "Nugget" McMullet - Level 220 - AL 16

Webmaster of AO Soldiers

"There are other things in my life I need to take care of (I can mention food, sleep, latex... uhm, no, wait!)" - Cz woot!

Originally posted by Coldbird
    1) Go to store
    2) Buy Swimming Inexperience nano from basic non-prof nano machine
    3) Cast this on self whenever you become snared or rooted
    4) WIN THE GAME
    This is fine, but I can't find swimming inexperience anywhere. Only proficiency and expertise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast