Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice people of Atlantean, I need your help (Enforcers)

How do you guys manage to turn the most innocent of threads into flaming threads of massive hate?
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Lots of practice?

I am a professional. Thank you for noticing.

Jutu;

PhD Thesis, 1976, Nottingham University, by Graham Rawlinson

The Significance of Letter Position in Word Recognition

The Purpose

It is always easy to state a purpose after the event. Key drivers for me were:

To aid understanding of the reading process through examination of one part, namely word recognition.

To examine the current theories of the time, which included the idea that we recognise words through shape.

The Experiments

Some 16 experiments were included in the PhD. Some of these have parts, so in all I think it might be fair to say bout 36 experiments were conducted, but it all depends on how you carve them up.

For example, Experiment 1 had variations as follows:

1/R/1, 2/R/0, 2/R/2, 4/R/0 for 2 groups

and

2/R/2, 2/X/2, 4/R/0, 4/X/0 for 2 other groups.

R meaning random, x means substituting x's in place of the original letters, and 2/R/2 means the first 2 and last 2 are kept as originally, fir a whole text.

Hypotheses and Conclusions

My conclusions, and these are open to question of course, were that:

Letter features are processed through a route of letter classification/identification.

Middle letter identification proceeds largely independently of position.

Higher level units seem to be significant only for the beginnings and endings of words.

Information from the middle letters may operate via a sampling/probability system (rather than absolute accuracy). That is, you can have sufficient letters, even though in the wrong position, for the brain to "recognise" the word.

My end model was of a multiple access system "allowing some direct use of features without precise letter identification, use of word length information, and some structuring of phonemic or syllabic units, as well as incorporating a sampling recognition system using letters or their attributes directly."

Finally

I have seen various comments of how I was suggesting this or that, and people saying why this or that can or cannot be true. But trying to sort out what may or may not be a factor in word recognition is quite complicated. I was only doing my PhD, this was a compressed into a sort space of time, I did the best I could. Sorry if it was not good enough, though the interest in it now is rather refreshing.

I did try to publish the main findings, but the papers were turned down, by reviewers who perhaps had theories of their own to defend?

Science is an interesting process, easy enough to get wrong, easy enough to go off in a direction which is a false trail, and sometimes easy enough to cheat. In the end, I hope, we all get wiser.

Wishing all those who were interested in scrambled words, a happy life!

You can find the whole article, in full, here.

And lastly. Jutu, I've ignored you in-game and on the forum, since you're by far the most irritating forum troll I've ever come across. I won't respond to any posts directed to me, by you.

wth was that?
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

If you had been following the thread, you wouldn't need to ask that question, and in the same sentence, make yourself look like a troll.
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Soo... about that enfo pic?
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Quote Originally Posted by Daddybear View Post
    a two-dollar hoe calling herself professional

Yo laik the sloppy hoe would do it all for a one-dollah, so either he got skeelz or he's a pro hoe! Now I did pay him two-dollah once, but I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. So I'm not at liberty to tell, but like yo it's a white hoe aight!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lackofgravy View Post
    Soo... about that enfo pic?
    Bud, I don't think you'll ever get an MS Paint picture of a smiley face, much less a Photoshop of an Enforcer.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Ill take a badly draw MS paint of a enfo
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

i miss ablun. here he is w/ his enfo

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...igns/ablun.png

and damn oh damn did this topic go way off
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

Quote Originally Posted by Strupstad View Post
    ^ I understand him perfectly well. You don't have to have a masters degree in English to post on these forums.
    It actually doesn't work for people who learned to read phonetically. It only works for people who read by word recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Not from Cambridge he can't. There's never been a study like that done at Cambridge. Feel free to look for some way to trace it back to Cambridge University other than random internet denizens saying so.

It's a cheap trick as it is. It uses smaller words, because switching around 2-3 letters in a word doesn't matter. It's not doable with larger words. Sorry Darkir, it's just one of those dumb chain emails, but Strup fell for it.
    You can actually read small words with no letters at all, only boxes that could just contain each letter.

For example, draw a box around the letters a, p, p, l, and e and put them together, remove the letters and show them to someone. If they are fluent in the language and read by word recognition, they should recognize that the word is apple.

Notice though in the quoted research that the initial letters play a very significant role, as do the final letters. This allows you to actually read quite long words even with the letters jumbled up.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    It actually doesn't work for people who learned to read phonetically. It only works for people who read by word recognition.
    I guess someone will always play the devils advocate...

Still, trying to argue with someone by making fun of them always make yourself look like an idiot. And that's a fact.
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Bud, I don't think you'll ever get an MS Paint picture of a smiley face, much less a Photoshop of an Enforcer.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5904/truthp.png
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    You can actually read small words with no letters at all, only boxes that could just contain each letter.

For example, draw a box around the letters a, p, p, l, and e and put them together, remove the letters and show them to someone. If they are fluent in the language and read by word recognition, they should recognize that the word is apple.

Notice though in the quoted research that the initial letters play a very significant role, as do the final letters. This allows you to actually read quite long words even with the letters jumbled up.
    My point remains: I have many Nigerian princes as friends that want to give me millions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post
    I actually lol'd, half because of figuring out what professions those were, half because of the quote above the Enf's head.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

I can send you a pic of an enf.

But then again, false profession enf doesn't look as intimidating.
    nvm.
    Ivanth 220/30 Agent
    Ellisiana 150/20 Martial Artist
    Pantothenic 150/2 Doctor

and various others.

do you have sandwich?
    Imno "Ubermensch" Angel 220/30/70 MA
    Revengeof "Jiltedthief" thegankers 220/30/70 Agent with ultimate smacktalk skeelz Retired
    Obeywhat "Elmayra" says 220/24/70 Doc with 275k+ Alien kills
    [Tnet] Manicmouse: bring back the I WIN button, cos omni really need help
    Reading doesnt change who you are but what you will do
    IM GRAMMATICALLY AWESOME

Lol at the zset mp dead :P
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You