Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allow Stat Throttle

Allow Stat Throttle

Allow any skill besides those found in the Abilities tab to be temporarily lowered with a slider while NOT in combat. This means if someone has 1000 run speed, they should be able to lower it as much as they want voluntarily. This slider should only affect the amount of IP a player put in their skill. It would temporarily change the amount of IP to anything between 0 and 100% of what they've spent, without reimbursing the player for IP. In essence, it would be like using skill with one arm, two arms, or all limbs tied behind one's back.

Benefits:

- Tradeskillers can get the exact amount of TS they want to make an item the exact QL they want, without terminating

- PvPers (Because high HP is a burden rather than a boon for many professions) can lower their HP before duels, etc and still be able to go and PvM later

- Players helping low levels / orgmates can lower their run speed so that they don't outrun their friends. Especially useful if someone has to go afk for a minute on /follow

- Nano Resistance can be significantly lowered to aid in the testing of nanos on one's self, or on other players.

Hazards:

- Can't really think of one. Some people might be against it because of the Body Development thing, which is why I suggest it only being possible while NOT in combat.
    Last edited by Veebliez; Oct 10th, 2010 at 15:56:18.
    Raise your hand \o if you want to pay lots of attention to Veebz!

Quote Originally Posted by Veebliez View Post
    - Tradeskillers

- PvPers

- Players helping low levels / orgmates

- Nano Resistance
    Yes, no, yes, yes.

There we go.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Buttons to modify the aggression, defense slider may be nice, also.

Bump for this idea. I also like the e-peen potential: "I won that duel using 80% of my power, mwahahah!"

I think that for low / high HP setup for PvP, it should remain a setup choice, and not modifiable easily.

For the RS... well, put the highbie on follow on the lowbie or run back ward, or pause to check the view, it's realy no biggy.

Remains the trade skill issue, that is realy valid.
    A simplier solution would be to imprement a slider in the shift + T window to chose the QL of result manualy between the min and max.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

HP changing + PvP would be a mess cause basically there is an optimal amount of HP you want versus each profession / player, depending their damage distribution beetween smaller hit and capping hits. Obviously not being able to change it during fight would be needed (or you would reduce your HP as the fight go, like enfos does when deleting iMuB so capping hit dmg em for less once their HP went low enough), but on top of that, once people will figure what to change their HP to for each opponent it gonna be a big mess to balance i think.

I very much like the idea/skill involved in that, and i d like to tell you to go for it now BUT my nose tells me there could be some nasty consequences, even if i can't think precisely of any right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    I think that for low / high HP setup for PvP, it should remain a setup choice, and not modifiable easily.
    Exactly, because of low HP setups the rest of us got "punished" with changes.

As such, if youve made the choice to be low HP and therefore unable to PvM well, thats youre choice and you should be stuck with it.

But being able to lower everything except abilities and body dev would be quite fun to play with.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Looks like a nightmare to code.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Yes to the op, although...

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    Remains the trade skill issue, that is realy valid.
    A simplier solution would be to imprement a slider in the shift + T window to chose the QL of result manualy between the min and max.

I think this would be easier for fc to pull off, the other reasons are fairly negligible. But for tradeskilling this gets a big thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Looks like a nightmare to code.
    Depends how you do it.

If youre doing it so that you can precisely set the reduction, then I would think it was.

If you were doing it so that its either a fixed or percentage based reduction either as a whole or by groups, then you could just do it via some castable nanos.

Like "Reduce Stats 10%" or "Reduce Ranged 25%", to reduce everything by 10% or just ranged weapons by 25% in those cases.

Side effects should include unable to use aimed shot and its a yes for me.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

This should be in Game Suggestions.

If you could only throttle a skill down - but never up; And as long as you don't free up IP by throttling down, which you could use to raise a different skill... then I suppose it would be OK. Essentially, as long as it's only ever nerfing a skill below the invested IP value.

But in general, the paradigm of the game is that you make skills choices and then live with them. I can see that there are certain situations where that can cause odd issues... but sometimes, those choices and their effects are just things you have to live with.

The tradeskill example is really the only one that I find to be really compelling. And I think I'd rather see that one solved by the Tradeskill Interface being altered such that the player could choose the QL of the resulting item from the range that he could theoretically make with 0 skill to his actual skill.

Not sure whether I'm for or against, to be honest.

X
    Last edited by XtremTech; Oct 8th, 2010 at 22:47:43.

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    Bump for this idea. I also like the e-peen potential: "I won that duel using 80% of my power, mwahahah!"
    this made me laugh. heh
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

Let me clean up my original post a bit:

The slider should only affect the IP in a skill -

If a player has 1000 IP in a skill but gets an additional 500 from equipment/city/buffs/towers/perks/research, then they should only be able to lower that skill to a minimum of 500.

It seems that most people are against this idea for the PvP aspect -
    Please keep in mind that certain professions function much better with a small amount of HP because of the way capping specials and healing works. The effect should be no greater than what a player could do if they unIP'd body dev and did nothing but PvP'd all day. An option like this allows people who'd like to PvP to be able to transition to PvM more smoothly. Also, if the slider ONLY affected IP, then it would be impossible for a high level player to get anything less than 3-4k HP, an amount that is quite easy to defeat with a couple special attacks or damage shielding / reflects.
    Raise your hand \o if you want to pay lots of attention to Veebz!

There is a lot of good in this suggestion, especially for people like me who test constantly, but I do not see this type of suggestion making it in game.

The heath thing is something i'm against.
    If you choose to be high health, you can take more hits in PvM, but less alpha's in PvP.
    Now you'd make both possible in the same setup, which i find "OP". OP is a waaay too big word for it.. i'ma rename it to unfair.

The other slider options, specially the tradeskill and runspeed sliders would be heaven for many people.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Veebliez View Post
    Allow any skill besides those found in the Abilities tab to be temporarily lowered with a slider while NOT in combat. This means if someone has 1000 run speed, they should be able to lower it as much as they want voluntarily. This slider should only affect the amount of IP a player put in their skill. It would temporarily change the amount of IP to anything between 0 and 100% of what they've spent, without reimbursing the player for IP. In essence, it would be like using skill with one arm, two arms, or all limbs tied behind one's back.

Benefits:

- Tradeskillers can get the exact amount of TS they want to make an item the exact QL they want, without terminating
    This is the only one I would *bump* althought I know a thread already exists where it has been suggested this lowering of skills be done in the tradeskilling window.
    .:: Stigman : 220 / 30 / 70 : NM Engineer (PVM 35% Crit) : I Make It, You Buy It : FIRST Omni NM Engi to hit 220/30/70 on RK1 ::.
    .:: Stigmartyr : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Shade (Neutral) : Piercing Princess ::.
    .:: Levinstein : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Agent : Sneaky Sniper ::.
    .:: Lexstein : 150 / 20 / 42 : Trox Engineer : Sector Ten : Currently the ONLY 150/20/42 Trox Engi on RK1 ::.

I'd love this, but for tradeskilling only.

It's ok for tradeskills. I can see it being abused for Body dev.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast