Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: ALL Melee Users Need To Catch Up To Their Target

ALL Melee Users Need To Catch Up To Their Target

In the August 27th Friday with(out) Means, Kintaii mentioned that Enfrocers will be getting something new to help them catch up to their targets, similar to Keepers getting Clarion Call. While we haven't seen all the changes to the professions, I just wanted to point out that this is a problem for all melee users, and not just the professions who traditionally use melee.

Basically, catching up to people is not a profession specific problem. It's a weapon choice specific one that impacts all melee users.

I know that we don't know what else is coming, but I don't want to see less traditional setups fall to the wayside. I'm talking about doctors and engineers with martial arts, MP's with 1hb, etc. Even adventurers prefer pistols because of this. It would be a shame to have even more cookie-cutter setups because non-traditional melee can't get close enough to do anything.

So, please keep this in mind. I don't know how the new "buffs" like clarion call will be implemented, but something that does not check your profession, but instead checks the range of your equipped weapon would be fantastic. And to prevent hot-swap abuse by ranged users, have it also increase the un-equip time of your weapon to 60 seconds or something.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kimarzt; Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:23:00.
    `((((
    `(. .)
    ((
    v )) Kimarzt
    .m m 220/30/70 Doctor :: First and Only Doctor to Equip Hatred of the Xans :: First Doctor with Sword of Dusk

Then the power most melee users have must be toned down, so the ranged user doesn't go down with a splat.
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranide View Post
    Then the power most melee users have must be toned down, so the ranged user doesn't go down with a splat.
    If a melee user is in melee range, a ranged users ONLY priority should be to get out of melee range ASAP, no exceptions (maybe soldier )

But in regards to docs with melee, in that case need to provide support for SMG enforcers to be able to land fullautos at capped recharge, on evaders.

..yeah.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

i think melee perks ranges have been increased. but rest is just logical : most PVMers that can, go melee as the damage is often more reliable ; and most PVPers that can, go ranged as it's somehow more convenient for most professions.

beside, i've always wanted to see implemented a gradient for ranged weapons :
    - duck : if you're close to target you do more damage then further
    - dodge : if you're far from target you do more damage then closer
    that might be increase/decrease the crit chances accordingly ? just suggesting.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Not too sure about the reasoning for giving MAs zazen to counter kiting though. What, are we gonna use zazen and keep healing ourselves and not kill anything?

Against solds or something I guess that can be useful, but anything with debuffs are gonna royally screw you over since yeah you stay back and heal up but yet get an assload of debuffs thrown on you if you do stay back against things like agents/docs/crats/traders/NTs

wtb tractor beam instead :/

I know this has been in other games obviously, but what about like a charge or a leap type of skill specificly given to melee users and have the recharge on it like 5-10 secs more or less.

Well, you see, the trouble is that if as a melee user you could catch everything, PvP would only be some stupid close combat brawl with swords and guns, Ô the epic fun...

CC is getting nerfed to hell and back while anti CC tools are safe and cosy in their silk cocoon. Run speed is supposedly getting reworked into an indigest blend of "same speed, just not quite same".

I don't think melees need that much more lub in the ranged vs melee soft ball contest...
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubberyman View Post
    I don't think melees need that much more lub in the ranged vs melee soft ball contest...
    As someone with 100% ranged based pvpers, ranged just needs more nerfs to their distance advantage. 40 meter distance with 99% of the ranged toolset is not balanced.

0o

Now, to be 100% sure I would have to go through the all the perk docs, but iirc, the 40m ranged perks can be counted on the fingers of max three hands. 1 and a half would most likely be enough.

Edit : Damn you. Gotta check it out.

Edit 2 : checked it out. As I thought only some Agents and Sols specials hit the 40m range. Among group perks, infantry, power up and Starfall hit 35m. That's about it. Are they worth only 1%?
    Last edited by Shrubberyman; Aug 28th, 2010 at 19:24:21.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT

Are they worth only 1%?
    compared to 1-3 meters.... yup...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

checked it out. As I thought only some Agents and Sols specials hit the 40m range.
    I think his point is that it's easy enough to get them up to (or near enough) the ranged cap of 40m with range inc.

X

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveshirts View Post
    I know this has been in other games obviously, but what about like a charge or a leap type of skill specificly given to melee users and have the recharge on it like 5-10 secs more or less.
    You mean, like we have it in AoC today? Yeah, great way to kill a game.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    compared to 1-3 meters.... yup...
    Hmm? Gate was saying 99% of ranged profession toolset hit the 40m range. Perks being what they are, they represent a lot more than 1% of a profession toolset, don't you think? Also, melee perks are planned to reach 5-8m.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrem
    I think his point is that it's easy enough to get them up to (or near enough) the ranged cap of 40m with range inc.
    I got that, and to avoid nitpicking, I also mentioned the perks with 35m range. Truth of the matter (and no, you ain't getting me to go through all perklines again at this hour to list them), 20-25m range perks are a lot more common.

So, all in all, more often than not, it's a gap of 12-20m that melees will have to bridge as far as perks are concerned.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT

Bump for this.

Tried suggesting something related about tl5 where lack of runspeed makes this even more ridicilous issue for some profs, but as expected all i got was bunch of trolls in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    But in regards to docs with melee, in that case need to provide support for SMG enforcers to be able to land fullautos at capped recharge, on evaders.
    This is a really unfair comparison. Doctors only have 2 light blue weapon skills, Pistol and Martial Arts. Martial arts have always been a viable weapon choice for doctors and the damage done by a melee doctor and a ranged doctor are very comparable. Maybe you like cookie cutter builds, but I don't.
    `((((
    `(. .)
    ((
    v )) Kimarzt
    .m m 220/30/70 Doctor :: First and Only Doctor to Equip Hatred of the Xans :: First Doctor with Sword of Dusk

no it isnt since docs are supposed to do most fo their dmg thru nanos.
    Moonbolt - 220/26/something. Trox Enf RK1 General of Hells Heroes.
    Renswind - 220/21/67 solitus trader.
    Moonkiss - 219/21/something opifex shade.
    Mooncloud - 150/18/somethin solitus MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbolt View Post
    no it isnt since docs are supposed to do most fo their dmg thru nanos.
    Docs are given a cyberdeck option to push their nano based dding. Which means they are also left with the option of not going with a cyberdeck and dd through weapons. So actually FC deems both ways to be right for a doctor.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT

Docs are given a cyberdeck option to push their nano based dding. Which means they are also left with the option of not going with a cyberdeck and dd through weapons. So actually FC deems both ways to be right for a doctor.
    even if they go with a wepon option they will still be able to do dmg with nanos.
    docs are not a wepon class, and specially nto a melee class.
    same as engineers are a pet class with the choice of different wepons not a melee class.
    Moonbolt - 220/26/something. Trox Enf RK1 General of Hells Heroes.
    Renswind - 220/21/67 solitus trader.
    Moonkiss - 219/21/something opifex shade.
    Mooncloud - 150/18/somethin solitus MA.

Don't be silly, every prof, bar NTs since SL, have been so far weapon profs as well as nano profs and sometimes pet profs (look how one of the most proeminent melee professions has been so recently noisy about their nanos!!!). Now, are docs supposed or not to use Melee weapons is arguable indeed, but they are a weapon prof, even if a feeble one.

Even if I disagree with the surprising 2010 trend which consist for melee users to consider they should always be in range of their opponent no matter what, more viable setups is a lot better than more cookie cutters setups. What do you care if docs are given some support in the melee field, anyway.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast