Thread: Non-RPer's Attitudes Towards Events

Non-RPer's Attitudes Towards Events

Recent little event from Admin Lonare (having been announced in Borealis) reminded me of perhaps why RP'ing isn't much respected or performed anymore.

While the event was going on, people were crowding around Lonare and her guards, mongoing/challengering/dragon-morphing/emoting on top of her, disrupting the event, distracting the few people trying to RP (I think 3 or 4 including myself actually tried to at least roleplay a little - Foosball, myself, an Advie named Randulf).

I'm not trying to sound like an elitist, in where if you're not /bowing and /saluting and saying "Thou art my Queene" you have to leave, but there's something to be said for allowing people who do this for the pure fun of it (since there's no other motivation to do this) to have their time and their space to have a little break from combat and grinding to have some fun with new people and the politics and happenings within AO.

That's all I wanted to say.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Yeah I just posted something like this on buzz by accident I meant to put it in life.
    However I think I'm going to do a game suggestion.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    people were crowding around ... mongoing/challengering/dragon-morphing/emoting on top of ..., disrupting ..., distracting ...
    These kind of bores seem be everywhere in Bor and Newland now. Too bad ignore is not visual as well.
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.
    New content does not have to make old content obsolete.

Like I told Foos over the RP bot... I remember back when Zora gave his first speech, if you got within so much distance of him or his gards they one shotted your sorry arse.

What ever happened to those days?
    Point Blank

There have always been and always will be, griefers. Short of having a strict rp server, where any griefer can be kickbanned without question, it is unavoidable. Years have been spent trying to figure out a way around this. All one can do is to try and enjoy what is happening, maybe ask others for a little more respect, and report the truly offensive griefer.

I'm just sad I missed it. I haven't seen any rp outside of rp meetings and all I seem to do any more is login, try/do a daily, and logoff. I know rp is what you make it, but I just haven't the <insert the appropriate adjective> to do so. Maybe I should just log aorc 24/7.

Griefers are people too

In my humble opinion, many of what the RP crowd perceive to be griefers are just people who want to get involved but just don't get it. Sure, there are always those prats who enjoy pissing people off but I have a feeling that they just encourage and lead the people who don't understand what's going on to do things that piss off the ones who do understand. An event should be able to cater for as many people as possible, or those people start getting bored and following the humping morons.

Am I right in thinking this is specifically about an event last night? I was out last night so don't really know what happened. But if it was just Lonare giving an address in Borealis to spectate at, I'm not surprised at all if people didn't understand, got bored and started following the plonkers who look like they're enjoying themselves.

I don't think it's a recent issue, or an issue with the location or even the population of AO. There have been some awesome events in Borealis (assuming this was in bor btw based on what was said) where everyone was involved, Rper, non-RPer and potential griefer alike. So to me it sounds like an issue with the event rather than the people.

/flameshield!
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

right... making RP events in Bor is not a very good idea.

Might aswell go into kite hill and discuss fair play with people there.

But.. Arranging RP events in crowded places might get us more RP'ers. Not everyone who stops there are idiot 12 year old kids thinking that /moon /moon /moon @ LTC is fun.
    *Giggle*

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Now that my /RP partner is back, I'm sure stuff will pick up a bit. <3
    ~[[ Trying to be active on forums. ]]~

Quote Originally Posted by Gatess View Post
    right... making RP events in Bor is not a very good idea.
    It depends on the event, I think. I've seen some event go down really, really well in Bore with most people having fun because they have something to do and a way to take part. I wasn't there, but I suspect the event last night was a speech-to-spectate-at of some sort. That really isn't the kind of event that will be well received in the busiest thouroughfare on RK. To a handful of people it'll be great. To some others it'll be ok, but boring. To the vast majority, it'll be little more than spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciyanid View Post
    But.. Arranging RP events in crowded places might get us more RP'ers.
    This is how it should be imo. They've just got to be the right kind of events... ones that engage people and get them to take part rather than sit and watch someone they've never heard about talk about something they don't care about... not going to end well.

I'm just guessing that's what happened though, based on the fact Lonare was involved. heheh. Was it a speech?
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Funcom employee

Pheats and myself are going to be looking into exactly what happened last evening and seeing if there's anything we can do to curtail this sort of thing in the future. It's been a while since the anti-griefing rules for Events were given a look-over so there might be places we can improve the Events team's abilities to deal with random idiots. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Also Kintaii :

Demotivational Speech: Don't Disturb Us
    This mood-dampening effect silences vicinity chat for everyone not in the same raid interface as the Bureaucrat.

Range : 30 m

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    RP'ing isn't much respected or performed anymore.
    It's a shame people see it like this. RP is wherever you want it to be and whatever you want it to be. In Lumen Orien we RP nearly every day. We've got events going on - we had a really fun one last week (see recent article) and more planned for very soon, we've got stories, mysteries, silliness and fun.

Anyone who wants a bit of light-hearted and fun RP feel free to join us at any time. We've got an open-to-anyone org bot (/tell albedonot !join) that anyone can join whenever.

Come have some fun, roll some lowbie RP toons for events and stories with us if you want Saetos. Or anyone else
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

IMHO Events needs to start a "Meanwhile in the Storyline" thread on both Buzz's. To many times I've been to an un-announced event and too often I've had this conversation:

To Annoying Twit: Please stop, we're trying to have an RP event here.
    Annoying Twit: What's RP?
    To Annoying Twit: Role-play. We're trying to follow the ARK event for the storyline.
    Annoying Twit: What's an ARK? AO has a storyline? !!!!
    Now I understand that Events wants to keep some storyline elements a surprise, but isn't possible to let the general player base know what is going on in generalized terms?

just my 2 cents.
    Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Corporal Officer, Omni-Pol Field Ops
    (Atlantean)

formerly
    T-Sgt1C, Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, Retired.

If I'm the Agent of Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?
    Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Quote Originally Posted by Nadab View Post
    IMHO Events needs to start a "Meanwhile in the Storyline" thread on both Buzz's. To many times I've been to an un-announced event and too often I've had this conversation:

Now I understand that Events wants to keep some storyline elements a surprise, but isn't possible to let the general player base know what is going on in generalized terms?

just my 2 cents.
    You might consider that this isn't going to help what you stated as your target population. If someone doesn't know what Events is, what an ARK is, or that AO has a story... I'm guessing they're not someone who spends enough time on the forums to get the information even if Events posted it.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Redesine View Post
    It's a shame people see it like this. RP is wherever you want it to be and whatever you want it to be. In Lumen Orien we RP nearly every day. We've got events going on - we had a really fun one last week (see recent article) and more planned for very soon, we've got stories, mysteries, silliness and fun.

Anyone who wants a bit of light-hearted and fun RP feel free to join us at any time. We've got an open-to-anyone org bot (/tell albedonot !join) that anyone can join whenever.

Come have some fun, roll some lowbie RP toons for events and stories with us if you want Saetos. Or anyone else
    Slightly off topic perhaps, but where do I go of I'm not on RK2. It does take 2 people for RP to be fun, and most of the times I'm struggling to find someone to do anything at all, on any of my toons. Even on CH42 or AORPB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadab View Post

just my 2 cents.
    They have this thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=576609 But if you haven't found it, I guess a random person who stumbled into an event won't know about it for sure.
    Anamelle Marecki, adventurer, leader of Lumen Orien
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Alossa Laurence, beaurocrat, director of Newland News
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Daeranne Smith, engineer, Last Ditch Academy scientist
    Lumen Orien

Too bad the Borealis Freedom Fighters couldn't have brought their brand of "Griefing" to the administrator.

But seriously, it's always going to be a fine line. They can do events only with the RP crowd, fine, but people don't play this game forever, and a lot of people DO get into RP through the big public events, it's how ARK make the general playerbase aware of the storyline.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Anamelle View Post
    They have this thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=576609 But if you haven't found it, I guess a random person who stumbled into an event won't know about it for sure.
    I know about that post, and that's my point. It's on the Fourth Wall forum. What I was trying to put forth was that Events start a thread on BUZZ along the lines of Meanwhile on Rubi-Ka that gives out things that are happening in the storyline. Something that would give the average player a clue as to what is going on. Peeks into the daily lives of LTC's. Nothing that would give away plots, but something to expose more players to who LTC's are.
    Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Corporal Officer, Omni-Pol Field Ops
    (Atlantean)

formerly
    T-Sgt1C, Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, Retired.

If I'm the Agent of Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?
    Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich