Thread: [RK1] IRRK Freelance: Interview with Newland's new science minister

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

[RK1] IRRK Freelance: Interview with Newland's new science minister

Interview with Newland's new science minister
    August 10, 29484 - Lucetta Phoenix [Atlantean]

IRRK Freelance - I took the time to interview Mr Larken Aiden on his new position, and what this may have in store for Newland.

Hello Mr Aiden.
    Hello.

Tell me a little bit about yourself.
    Well, where to start? I am not entirely sure what you would like to know.

A bit about your past, what you have been doing before now.
    I was born, raised and educated on the floating archipelago of Jobe, my parents are low level scientists with JAME. I attended the Jobe academy and the Nascence training grounds.

Oh, interesting. What were you involved in before turning to Newland?
    Well I turned down a job offer as an assistant in JAME, for one of their sub-departments.

Why is that?
    I decided I wanted to see a bit more of Rubi-Ka, as the Shadowlands do not interest me that much. However the JAME Terrestrial Research Division is seriously underfunded. So, if I ended up there I would have been pretty much forgotten about.

Ah, I see. So why did you pick Newland?
    Jobe has always had some ties with Newland, and it felt to be the right place to go, and see what else there is on the surface. It seemed logical.

There was some concerns that you were too young for this position. What do you have to say to that?
    Ah to be science minister? The Mayor and the rest of the council are quite right to be concerned. I do not dispute my young age gives me a lack of experience. However there is a case of that my age can be an advantage. I am not old, I am willing to try newer techniques and experiment and be capable of working longer than say a forty or fifty year old, who might have the experience, but not be willing to try new techniques and technologies, and who tire easily. I am eager and willing.

It seems the council will get a fresh face and fresh ideas then.
    That is indeed what someone said during the council session.

I heard you have been put on a trial period. What does this mean for you?
    Ah. This was a joint idea between myself and the mayor. Since there is the issue that I might be too young, it was decided that I would have a three month trial period. In this time we can both look and see if I am up to the task. Its the logical choice, to ease both sides. I have the chance to show my potential. They have the chance to see that I can handle it, or not. With no hard feelings.

Ah, I see. What are you planning to do with your trial period?
    Well I have already had a couple of projects sent my way to work on. So my main focus is on those. And doing them to the best of my ability.

What are those projects, if I may ask?
    Well. The council is looking into a Kyr'Ozch defence system, or how we can dissuade the Kyr'Ozch from attacking the city. So I am looking into possible methods to make Newland less attractive to the Kyr'Ozch, without mounting big guns on the walls.

Now that is interesting. Has there been any progress?
    Not yet, however i do have some theories I will be working on. I believe that R.U.R has tried to help, but have thus far failed to catch any test subjects with their fly paper scheme.

I am looking forward to hearing the progress. What is your other task?
    My other task is assist in improving the security of the city from more domestic threats.

Is that not the security minister's job?
    There is a research side to it, in which new methods and possibly new technology need to be created. But we are working closely together on this, as a full council.

Ah. What is this domestic threat?
    I am afraid I cannot safely go into too much detail on that. Suffice to say we wish to improve where previously we have been found lacking.

Is there any other comments you wish to say in general?
    I am looking forward to working for the city on a whole, which I have found incredibly welcoming. In fact I cannot wait to get back to the office and continue work. It is all very interesting stuff to me.

Hard worker eh? Thank you for your time.
    And thank you.

Best of luck to him in the position!

((All respect to my new counterpart!))
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister