Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Item theft

Sorry for you loss Divine
    Ekata
    Unit Member of Lost Chapter

Has anyone seen this...person....on lately?
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Damn, I keep checking back on this post hoping to hear everything worked out for the victim. Damn.

Wish there was something I could do.

I guess they believe more in protecting thieves and cheaters and bashing free speech than they do about getting rid of the scum in this game.

I normally defend funcom, but this is in horrible taste. the thieving bastard finally gets a warning, but keeps their account.

I say we make this person leave the game entirely by refusing to team with her, gank on sight (nanoshutdown anyone?) and spam her private tells until she cancels her account, returns the nullity disc or finds some way to repay the damage she's caused. I see people spending weeks at the claw camp to score a nullity and here this idiot steals it and wrecks hours upon hours of hard work and ruins a person's day over it! What a load of crap, excuse my language
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

one way to protest is by getting as many people as you can together and threatening to cancel.

Don't want to be rude here but

Emiko, dream on.

that won't do anything.

Me no like theft

Or thiefs

*** BUMP ***

That move totaly STINKS!!!

I`m for the idea that ppl doin this kinda stuff should be posted for everybody to see.
    I mean this is what they did in the medevil times, and if I´m not misstaken this takes place some time in the future surely there must be some system to warn honest ppl from this kinda trash!!!!

I´m only lvl 101, but I´ll keep this name in mind......

-------------------------

Maxis

It sucks what she did to you. Hope she comes to her senses and gives it back.
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

Sorry for your loss, posted link on Apoc forum so all members know to stay away from her and never help her.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Originally posted by Tremor

Emiko, dream on.

that won't do anything.
    I think Funcom would rathe rlose one theifing customer then 100 good ones.
    Last edited by Cz; Oct 15th, 2002 at 07:56:42.

Thread posted on Div9 forums.

Ya'll mention displeasure with Funcom for not doing anything about this.

What do you propose they do?

The author of this thread walked up and gave the disc to a player. He willingly and knowingly GAVE the disc to the stranger.

Yes, the thief is scum, and I'll remember the name (I'm omni, so it won't do any good, but who knows, maybe some day I'll get lucky) but come on here.. what CAN Funcom do? They can do nothing.

Thieves suck, and can easily ruin the game for people, but lets address the bottom line... if you do not want to be stolen from, don't GIVE stuff to complete strangers. Period.

Lets suppose Funcom has an anti-thieft policy. Lets suppose this guy runs up and gives some thief the disc. Lets say the thief keeps the disc. The guy petition's and tells Funcom that the thief stole the disc. Funcom asks the thief if it's true. Thief says no. Ok, now what? It's one man's word versus another.

I'm sorry, but Funcom SHOULDN'T be involved in this kind of thing.

Spread the word about his thieft, especially to all the bigger guilds. Keep an eye out for this person on the trade channel and let everyone know who and what he is... but don't bash Funcom when there's simply nothing they even COULD do about it.
    The only thing worse than the whiners, are the whiners who whine about the whiners. And then there's the whiners who whine about how the whiners whines managed to get something changed, but now the whiners don't like that the other whiners were able to have something changed. And so the whiners whine about the whiners whining and get the change un-done, which causes the whiners to whine even more about how the whiners whines about the whiners whines ruined an otherwise good thing. So now you have whiners whining about whiners, whining about the whiners who are whining, and general whiners who whine about whines in general. And this doesn't even take into account the whiners, or the whiners-about-whiners, or the whiners with whiners-about-whiners in their mouth, and when they whine, they shoot whiners.

"It's difficult to imagine a world in which people voluntarily choose to listen to liberals. There is no evidence that it has ever happened. " - Ann Coulter

No offense, but..
    Youre wrong. GMs can trace sales,trades, and transactions.,

theyd know if the player gave the item and if money was received at that time.

Ok, so they can verify that the guy gave the thief the item.

And?

So the thief simply claims the guy sold the stuff to him on ebay or something. No way to prove it. Or, even better, that the guy sold him the stuff directly, no ebay, no protection.

No matter what, it all comes down to a simple matter of one man's word vs another.

The only way I can see the GM's getting involved is if there's some massive chat logging going on. If the GM's can search for the incident in some kind of chat log database thing, and verify that a agreement was reached.

Don't get me wrong, if the GM's had a positive, functional method of determining that theft happened, I'm 100% all for the thief being banned perminently. I used to play Asheron's Call, there's a game where theft and exploitation utterly ruined the game, so I'm ALL for punishing those who seek to ruin the game for others. But in this case, I can't see any possible way for Funcom to get involved in a method that protects people from simply lying.
    The only thing worse than the whiners, are the whiners who whine about the whiners. And then there's the whiners who whine about how the whiners whines managed to get something changed, but now the whiners don't like that the other whiners were able to have something changed. And so the whiners whine about the whiners whining and get the change un-done, which causes the whiners to whine even more about how the whiners whines about the whiners whines ruined an otherwise good thing. So now you have whiners whining about whiners, whining about the whiners who are whining, and general whiners who whine about whines in general. And this doesn't even take into account the whiners, or the whiners-about-whiners, or the whiners with whiners-about-whiners in their mouth, and when they whine, they shoot whiners.

"It's difficult to imagine a world in which people voluntarily choose to listen to liberals. There is no evidence that it has ever happened. " - Ann Coulter

well look at it this way, obvioulsy they had to come to an agreement of some kind, and clientside logging on isnt relavent. GM's can access ALL LOGS.

That means they can find out WHAT HAPPENED eactly.

My ex admins a online game and the server ops have TOTAL LOG CONTROL. Im pretty sure FUNCOM/ARK have that kind of technology if not BETTER.

that means..

vicinity.
    privatemessages
    allchats

Originally posted by Emiko
    well look at it this way, obvioulsy they had to come to an agreement of some kind, and clientside logging on isnt relavent. GM's can access ALL LOGS.

That means they can find out WHAT HAPPENED eactly.

vicinity.
    privatemessages
    allchats

Now now, I didn't say client side logging... I said logging in general. Which in Funcom's case means server side, of course.

If funcom does indeed log everything, then by all means, they should spend a few minutes investigating the matter.

It is Funcom who made the decision that the high end game will absolutely require the support of your fellow players in the form of tradeskill items to get the needed nanos and weapons. Funcom requires us to seek out fellow players to do tradeskills for us. It's not a matter of us wanting to be uber, it's a matter of us having no choice. It's part of the game. That's how Funcom designed it. Thus, Funcom should be willing to ensure the process works. This means taking action against those who would seek to destroy the process.

If I have two NS discs, and both are stolen, you bet your buttocks that I won't be turning to other players for my tradeskill items anymore. And there's the root of the problem. You either have other players do it for you, you do it yourself, or you don't do it.

If Funcom allows the player-run tradeskill market to be ruined by thieves, then the game is doomed. If we're all running around scared to ask people to do something for us, the game is going to get real old real fast. And we'll all quit. In todays fast paced MMORPG market, I don't believe Funcom would be wise to take that risk.

Therefore, if Funcom does indeed log everything, then I'm behind you 100%. Action must be taken.

I've just never seen a MMORPG who logs everything... the amount of text they'd be logging on a daily basis must be staggering. I can't see any company who'd be willing to invest the storage resources alone to store that much info. Kudos to Funcom if they're actually doing it, all MMORPG's should log everything.

Now, enforcement of the logs is a seperate matter entirely.

First and foremost Funcom can definatly access the vicinity logs and I would assume the other chat areas as well. But, as you had stated before Wen, Funcom will not do anything about this even with access to these logs. Funcom wants you as a person to deal with this, not them. They want you to deal with reputable people. Thread listing Reliable tradeskillers

Something similiar in point that shows how Funcom deals with theft was the guild tax system. Choose your leaders wisely People were being invited into a guild and getting a tax suddenly implemented depleting them of money. I know things were changed to where they are now but. . .the process can still be done. And from that thread the attitude is deal with it.

With that being said it does rub a lot of us the wrong way, and if they were ever able to set up the Penal system things may be different. (I do believe this was scraped for the fear of losing paying subscribers.) Fact of the matter the best that we can do as a community is just what we have done.

Think of this as a courtroom. The accused has been named, evidence has been shown, punishment is being handed down. No response from the accused leads us all to a guilty verdict. It would be nice to hear the other side of the story, even if it was just, heck yeah I stole it, bugger off.

What is this penal system of which you speak? I quit like nine months ago and just recently came back. I'm sort of out of the loop.

If it's a player-run system of trials and punishments, then I'd oppose it to the very death. If a system exists in place where some jackass little 12 year old and a hundred of his friends can "vote" to ban me, that game no longer deserves my money. People constantly suggest a system like this as being a good idea... a suggestion that simply makes me shake my head in wonder. Yes, in an ideal world it would be nice to have some kind of player-run retribution against thieves and grief players, but this same system can easily be used against the GOOD players by the grief players.

I don't think this sort of system is what you meant by the "penal system" but just in case, I have retorted and saved the delay of having to reply again.

It's sad that we even have to have this discussion, but these are the times we live in. Some losers get their kicks from ripping others off... and the only thing we can do is educate people. Tell your friends about the reputable trader list, tell your guildies, etc...

Originally posted by Tremor

Emiko, dream on.

that won't do anything.
    worked for claire

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast