Thread: Event submissions to ARK-Events

Event submissions to ARK-Events

For the articles, the RSS manual gives a pretty good description of what is sought in an article, giving precise guidelines and stating reasons why a article could be returned for reworking or rejected. This brings me to events.

QUESTIONS:

1. Is there such set of guidelines used by ARK-Events for the events proposals they receive?
    a. if no, can there be?
    b. if yes, can players be made aware of it so they know what to take in account when preparing an event submission?
    2. What are the most common reasons for not accepting an event proposal?

Ok question 1:

Its a bit complicated, we have a few sets of guidelines that we like people to match but they depend on how and whats being requested (for example is it in character or out of character? if in character clan or omni?)

I will try and get a post about it up sometime tomorrow when I'm not quite so tired.

Question 2:

We've not really had enough requests for there to be a common theme in denials, the things that have come up however are:

The requested help not being possible: Sometimes people just ask us to do something that we simply can't do, either because its against some internal rules or because its simply impossible to do in game.

A story is submitted with the expectation of us helping in game but nothing is specified: While we have nothing against people sending us their storys for us to read over so we know whats going on and/or give comments criticism and suggestions, don't expect us to help ingame if you haven't actually requested such help in the request.

The submitted story is poorly written or goes against official storylines: Sometimes submissions are unreadable or the content is inappropriate, we will not get involved in events that do not go along with the game story. For example if someone submitted a story of an elf a dwarf and some midgets on a quest to throw some toe-rings into the fires of Inferno, we would not support that in anyway.

In some extreme cases we might even step in to try and prevent something from going ahead, we do not like doing this however and will only do it if a) the story would affect numerous people who did not want to be involved or did not like the story themselves b) if it actively went against an official story in a major way. (so basically if it ends up harassing other players or greifing other stories)

As long as only people willing are affected and you don't force it onto legacy/events characters/stories however we are happy for people to run around with what ever stories they want we just wont get involved in them.
    Last edited by Pheats; Jun 1st, 2010 at 21:19:34.

Thanks for the reply (and hope you get some rest ).

I remember seeing a couple of guidelines/suggestions left and right, but nothing really compiled.

My reasoning is:
    if players are informed of what parameters they should take in account when submitting an event, they would be more likely to submit them, in a way that makes these events more plausible and possibly carried on.

Thus, reducing the number of times that ARK/Dev must ask themselves:

"Now, what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pheats View Post
    For example if someone submitted a story of an elf a dwarf and some midgets on a quest to throw some toe-rings into the fires of Inferno, we would not support that in anyway.
    Genius!

..And I agree with Xeenah on this, sometimes I've seen emails that are sent that just vanish to never be replied. It's all fair that the Events team doesn't have to reply to every request, although if it's possible a quick sentence or two explaining why or what to change to make it work would be helpful to avoid people sending useless requests all the time.

P.S.. I think the elf would be an opifex
    Last edited by Agrestus; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 09:48:32.
    = Captain "Arthazar" Harcrow (Captain of The Phoenix Fortune)
    = Reporter "Lucetta" Phoenix (IRRK Freelance Reporter)
    = Sir "Sterlings" Furlocke (The Old English Trading Co.)
    = Dr. Malcom "Cormack" Ardman (University of Borealis)
    = "Paulon" McPhasefront, "Georj" Hairyson, "Johnar" Lemon & "Morninn" Starr (The Leetles)
    = "Gridfeed" (Camera Drone)
    = Director "Dartello" Marello (Black-Net)
    = DCI "Validius" Hunt (Department of Investigations)
    = DS John "Streller" (Department of Investigations)

= Major "Jimako" Jones (OTAF)
    = Mack "Teffler" Falloway (Clan hunter/trader)

Quote Originally Posted by Agrestus View Post
    P.S.. I think the elf would be an opifex
    *nod nod*

Ok lets see, I'll run through a preferred format for OOC requests how much you will fill in will depend on what sort of request you have:

Subject: Event request by <character name and organization>

This is so we can find the request easily in the mail system and so that we know who its from (so often players forget to mention who they are in mails, leaving us just the sometimes cryptic mail addresses to work out who we have to ki... thank)

Name:
    Organization:
    Others involved:

This is just to make sure we know who you are and also anyone else involved should something come up and we need to contact someone and your not available.

Brief description of the story:

This should be a brief description of the story your running, just so we have a basis to go on further in and can see what your aims are. This should be of the entire story not just one or two events (unless of course the story is only one or two events). This is a long the lines of "A smuggler group sets up base and starts selling their services including other crimes such as assassination and kidnapping" granted would like it a bit more detailed than that but the principle is there, a small paragraph that once quickly read will give an understanding towards what your planning. (Don't make it too long either mind)

Timeline:

This should be a comprehensive list of dates and times you expect to run parts of the story at, also lets you set out the structure of the story so we can see clearly how you expect things to run. Again if your not doing a long story rather just a single one off event just put that down. We expect at least a weeks notice before the first event you wish us to help with (ideally at least a week before you start to allow us time to look over and see if we can't help in places you might not have thought we could).

A simple <descriptive event title - date - time - possibly a small line description and/or list of people involved here will do.

Detailed Event plan:

This is where you should list all the events planned in as much detail as you can, if your doing a long story made from a chain of them you can choose to include all of them or just the ones you want us to help with here, but you MUST give a full detailed plan of the ones you want us to help with. The more we know about each event and story the better we can be prepared to help you during it, even if we don't help with a specific event its handy to know whats happened before the ones we are helping with and what will happen later.

This is the place to give a detailed description of what the event is about, plans on how your running it (this person comes in here and says something like this, then this person runs to coordinates xx zz and does this etc) and who is definitely involved in it. You can also state things you'd like us to do in this so we have an in-context record. Dates and times of the events should be repeated here, again we would like at least a week (ideally more) notice before the events you'd like us to help in.

Requests list:

This is a full list of what you'd like from us, even if you said so in the event plan part it needs to be listed here, this is so we have a clear and concise list of everything you want from us.

Comments and misc:

after everything else you can add anything else you feel we need to know or you would like to say/ask here. This can range from asking us to absolutely not interfere with something you detailed above (even if you dont request help we might turn up with LTC's or such to take part anyway, asking us not to will allow us to warn LTC's that might otherwise wander into it by accident anyway) or just commenting on how you feel things could go wrong.

Hope that helps.

As for IC requests, they differ from request to request, for example an Omni-Pol officer requesting a warrant or authorization to go shoot up newland can send in a request to the Omni-Pol offices who will supply a form to fill in (ahh bureaucracy I do love the smell of red tape in the morning), once sent back with everything filled in help may or may not be given, a clan member might send an message to one of the legacy clan HQ's asking for back up or such, they'd get a direct reply asking for details and such.

IC requests are ideally for small help such as some troops to help, some forms or props or just acknowledgment from official characters that somethings going down (also forewarning for us)

As such we can generally sort things out with just one or two days worth of notice, sometimes straight away though I don't want to encourage people to mail in expecting immediate support.

If you want anything major though please use the OOC request, as things take time to set up if they need to have any depth.

All that said we cannot I repeat CANNOT guarantee any help at any given time, even with a small IC request for a warrant may not be possible at the time, we will try to give as much help as we can when we can but there are times when its just not possible and I hope you can understand that sending a request will not always guarantee support.

And remember, the more information you can give the easier it will be for us and the better the support will be.

Wow, thanks a lot!

Can we give this man a sticky? That's gotta become a reference... Split topic if you have to, as OP, I don't mind Just save this! Pretty please!

*does the eyelash batting, shows cookies and brownies and ...*

*coughs* ...Sorry 'bout that. Enthusiasm, y'know...

Well I didn't sticky it, but I did add it to "Important Fourth Wall Posts/Information/Bookmarks Thread" post, which is stickyed.

And we always love to see enthusiasm.
    Coordinator Ninanna. LTC Team Lead

Current effective emails: Ninanna@ark.AOark.info, ark.Ninanna@gmail.com
    or for Mmir the Events AD: Mirr@ark.AOark.info, arkmmirad@gmail.com
    Events Department, Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    To Email Events Department

That works too Thanks!

*hands Ninanna a selection of cookies, some cheese and a brand spanking new shovel*