Thread: RP promoting via Billboards

RP promoting via Billboards

While I think it is great that some old in-game billboards have made it back into circulation, the ones activated only represent a small subset of what should exist. In particular, can something be done to get the old promo billboards for ARK and CoT back into circulation?

Side discussion - how billboards are managed:

This is my theory of how these things are managed - it would be nice if whoever actually is in charge of getting in-game (not Real World) billboards into circulation could verify this or explain how things work.

1) Ads - both in-game and real world - are entered into the system with a start date/time and a ending date/time. Ads entered -without- start or finish dates specified run for a default period of time (say, 4 months) and then are automatically taken out of circulation. Some real world ads are placed to run just a couple of days to promote some tv show or movie coming up very soon while some are run for months. The in-game ads need to be periodically reinsterted into the rotation to keep them from automatically falling out of circulation. That had not been happening in recent years, hence the long drought we had with little more than some AoC ads.

I don't know how it's run, but I would love to know how to submit one!

Having noticed the NLF one going around a fair few times, when the org is now longer functional as such. I do wonder if it would be a good time for FC to hold a new contest for Org recruitment posters for the billboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasliana View Post
    Having noticed the NLF one going around a fair few times, when the org is now longer functional as such. I do wonder if it would be a good time for FC to hold a new contest for Org recruitment posters for the billboards.
    QFT.

I've seen tons of the very old, mostly outdated adds of orgs and programs that are no longer around. Could definitely use some new stuff on there, from actually active orgs with a nice background. Or maybe even running long-term event lines.

Funcom employee

I don't personally have control over anything happening inside the billboard system - That end is actually taken care of by members of our Marketing department within Funcom. However, getting some new billboards up and running is something that's on my general "to do" list. There's some prep work that needs to happen first, but expect more information/news in the near-ish future.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Heyas,

while i think billboards are a great idea, i might add that there are numerous forms of promoting events such as twitter or facebook. Even RSS feeds comes into mind.

Please consider using them to publish upcoming events outside the game client. Heck, even a CalDAV calendar would be neat. I would suggest a centralized event schedule database with numerous outputs. If you make the database publicity available (like the "People of Rubi-Ka" XML database), you bet there will be a lot of support from the playerbase to get the information spreaded (AO-Universe will incooperate the resourced events into their calendar, several bot maintainers will create modules to fetch the entries and publish them to org channels, etc).

Just my two cents

regards
    /Z

PS: and sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

With regards to AOU and calendar to bot functions. We already to have a bot plug in to take events on AOU's calendar and show them on Channel42 / org bots that we have fed them to. If the coding is not possible short term with the AO Site.. then someone from ARK Events / AO team would be welcome to use the calendar we have on AOU to do this manually (or you could poke me more often to add it for you).