Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fear

fear

well in mass pvp i got feared quite alot of times
    so .... you scared me and i run away ...
    oke
    but from 6 times jiting my pants... 5 times i run into omni blob ... how is that "feared'
    thats kinda ...... kamikaze ... leeeerooooooy jerkins /we ... but its not fear

dono .. change fear to run from enemy not into enemy.
    proly only me annoyed by this but fear doesnt fit into AO imo.

both sides got it, both sides got keepers/fixers to prevent it, i don't see a problem (and yes i find it annoying too, so what)

have you noticed that they don't break on hit like they're supposed to?

most people I talk to say the same thing, they don't break.

don't fix...just remove them.
    Last edited by Frubaliscious; May 29th, 2010 at 08:15:34.
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

There's a logic to fears making you run away... but I don't think you could programme AO easily to decide where to run to if there were opposition players broadly spread around. It's not an easy thing for a game to assess a tactical situation across a wide area - and decide where to run to.

You could also make an rp argument, that says that in blind panic you may end up running further into danger...

You could make the target always turn 180 degrees and then run straight away... but then if you were already running away (like kiting) then that would have you going straight toward your attacker... but if you were facing your target to shoot at them, you'd run the opposite direction.

If it's a fixed algorithm, then your attacker could probably always take advantage of the predictability to force you into a desired direction - which could be abused just as much. Or it could penalise your own direction of facing, which may also not be desirable.

I'd say that the best solution is probably to have a strong random element to the direction in which you run. That's probably the most equitable all round.

X

yeah...we have a lot to fear knowing we get to live more since we're scanned, if you want the RP side of it fear rebuffing!
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

Hum, same problem that PVP had 4 years ago with mass AOE roots. Same story. Someone has a trader, other side needs a crat. Now someone has a crat, other side needs a keeper.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Phante View Post
    well in mass pvp i got feared quite alot of times
    so .... you scared me and i run away ...
    oke
    but from 6 times jiting my pants... 5 times i run into omni blob ... how is that "feared'
    thats kinda ...... kamikaze ... leeeerooooooy jerkins /we ... but its not fear

dono .. change fear to run from enemy not into enemy.
    proly only me annoyed by this but fear doesnt fit into AO imo.

Terrorized people do stupid stuff

example : a kid i knew got hit by a car while running away from a bee

Quote Originally Posted by Gatess View Post
    Terrorized people do stupid stuff

example : a kid i knew got hit by a car while running away from a bee
    Our avatars are supposed to be grown up people. Grown up people smack the bee with morning newspaper.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Our avatars are supposed to be grown up people. Grown up people smack the bee with morning newspaper.
    The difference between an adult and a kid, in that case, is what "fears" you.

You smack a bee, but will prolly trow yourself in front of a bus if you've seen Micheal Jackson's corpse, semi covered in dirt, fresh out of the grave and ready to sodomize you.

Relativity

If fear makes players run away always then the snare duration would have to be greatly increased to allow the melee profs using it, and the pets from crats, time to actually get to their target.

Also, the crat could just drop behind the opposing blob and fear them all into the enemies. Being able to somewhat control it could be very dangerous if people knew what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frubaliscious View Post
    have you noticed that they don't break on hit like they're supposed to?

most people I talk to say the same thing, they don't break.

don't fix...just remove them.
    can confirm this.

if they do break on hit... it takes a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatess View Post
    The difference between an adult and a kid, in that case, is what "fears" you.

You smack a bee, but will prolly trow yourself in front of a bus if you've seen Micheal Jackson's corpse, semi covered in dirt, fresh out of the grave and ready to sodomize you.
    Why? My IQ doesn't mysteriously drop down to 50 when I get scared/feared IRL.

Why? My IQ doesn't mysteriously drop down to 50 when I get scared/feared IRL.
    Well. Let's have a good example here then, ppl that scream when they see mouse, they often do something spontaneous. (Jumping onto a chair, flapping with arms or just plain hit someone close in the face.. (Personal experience))

If you are easy to scare you will do stuff that you won't think over untill after u've done it.

So fear in ao is imo working as intended. and does not need a change. (note the IMO)

For those who says what if my toon isn't scared of anything? well.. the nano alters how your body reacts to something frightfull
    No end to what nanobots can do nowadays =)
    Last edited by Sniker; Jun 1st, 2010 at 03:54:22.

IRL stuff aside, the fact is, wrong profs got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    If fear makes players run away always then the snare duration would have to be greatly increased to allow the melee profs using it, and the pets from crats, time to actually get to their target.
    there is no snare associated to crat fear.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

IRL stuff aside, the fact is, wrong profs got it.
    Crat should not have, but its a nice tool with maybe a ridiculously short lockout. It cannot be used in duels, so a single fear in mass pvp is hard to argue as being too damaging anyways.

MP's should have gotten a fear (yes I am serious) but maybe they can have a knockback type effect instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    there is no snare associated to crat fear.
    I stand corrected then It does stand true for enfs and MAs though. We do enough chasing down of opponents.

You're technically scared away by the person who cast it, so I'd venture to say that you don't care who else you run into, just not that Crat trying to make you do volunteer service!
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniker View Post
    Well. Let's have a good example here then, ppl that scream when they see mouse, they often do something spontaneous. (Jumping onto a chair, flapping with arms or just plain hit someone close in the face.. (Personal experience))
    Only in Tom & Jerry
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild
    Trader - Nerfed Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    MP's should have gotten a fear (yes I am serious) but maybe they can have a knockback type effect instead.
    this sounds more right than a bureaucrat with fears, since MP's can "The nanocloud briefly takes on a semi-physical manifestation of the caster's anger." or "The attack of Tumulten confuses and clouds the mind."

So why not a pet that "The attack of somenewpet clouds the mind, making the target to scream and run around in fear"

Quote Originally Posted by Racatti View Post
    Only in Tom & Jerry
    a friend of mine saw a mouse and was about to start running when he punched me hard in the face >_< and damn did that hurt (ps: he was also screaming like a little girlie was fun at the same time)

Before he jumped on a chair with arms flapping, or after?
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild
    Trader - Nerfed Professional

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast