Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RK1] IRRK Freelance: The shooting of Phillip Ross.

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

[RK1] IRRK Freelance: The shooting of Phillip Ross.

The shooting of Phillip Ross.
    May 28, 29484 - Kate "Lariske" Delvin [Atlantean]

IRRK Freelance - A theory on the shooting of Phillip Ross.

The reasons why and who attempted to assassinate Phillip Ross, have long been a mystery. In nearly five years since this incident no one has been formally charged with the assassination attempt. Certainly it is possible that the assassin or group who carried out this act are still at large on the planet. It is also likely that they had the help of very powerful and influential people. The attempted assassination could have been the culmination of a power struggle within the uppermost echelons of the most powerful body in the galaxy. If we go back and look at events which occurred preceding the shooting a disturbing path can be traced. One which would perhaps explain the rapid rise to power, the mystery that surrounds him as well as the increase in strength of the group he has been entwined with for much of his career.

This person is none other than the current CEO of Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka, Tarkhan Zora.

Firstly I would like to identify the two possible factions within the upper echelons of Omni-Tek.
    On the first side there is a group of hard line corporate types on the ruling Board of Directors on Omni Prime. It is my belief that they became worried about Ross’s more open approach to allowing the Clans to continue to exist as well as the neutrals. It is they who hold the reins on the Unicorn Company and use it to further their hard line beliefs. It is from there that they selected Tarkhan Zora, a man they knew to be loyal to them to the position of CEO on Rubi-Ka. For the time being I will refer to this faction as the hardliners.
    On the other side are the die-hard supporters of Phillip Ross within the ruling Board of Directors on Omni Prime. It is they who were slowly moving the hyper-corporation towards a more democratic and open way of working. For the time being I will refer to this faction as the freethinkers.

We begin by looking at an event which took place in August of 29478.

“August 26th 29478 A reporter and adviser from Omni Prime backed up by Unicorn troops question citizens in Borealis on their opinions about Philip Ross.”

This sounds very harmless at first. However if we look closer some questions come to mind. Why would Omni-Tek, especially Omni Prime be interested in non-Omni Rubi-Kan’s opinions of Phillip Ross, the CEO of Omni-Tek on Rubi-Ka at the time. Also note the presence of Unicorn troops, instead of Omni-Pol or Omni-AF, who would have been the more logical choice to provide a security detail. This suggests that the hardliners were getting the opinion of non-employee’s, about Ross.

“August 28th 29478 Unicorn troops move into Omni-HQ amid rumours that Philip Ross had been placed under house arrest for some as yet unknown reason.”

The first step is taken in securing their rise to power. With the Unicorns holding Phillip Ross his contact with the outside world, the rest of the corporation and his allies is limited and censored. During the next few days it is presumed that Phillip Ross begins his journey to Omni-Prime, with few knowing the truth.

On September 1st 29478 the aliens finally launch their invasion of Rubi-Ka. Thus triggering an automated system broadcasting a pre-recorded message from Phillip Ross, instead of he himself addressing the people of Rubi-Ka live, which he would have likely preferred. The triggering of the automated response for the imminent invasion by Alien forces, likely forces the hand of the hardliners, but is also a blessing in disguise. No longer able to keep the transport of Phillip Ross off world a secret, a plan is concocted and rushed into action with the cover story that he is en route to Omni Prime for talks with the Board of Directors. These talks having been hastily setup by powerful hardliner members of the board before the official story is published. Following the Alien invasion many of the orders for Rubi-Ka come from Omni Prime, but are not listed as coming from Phillip Ross himself, which is strange.

During the next couple of months the headlines, news agencies and thoughts of everyone are turned to the Alien invaders, little thought is given to Phillip Ross until his eventful return to Rubi-Ka. It is my opinion that during this time there began in earnest a power struggle within the upper echelons of Omni-Tek with two factions fighting for control.

It is my belief that somehow the freethinker members of the board found out or worked out what the hardliners were planning, and managed to free Ross and hide him from hardliner elements whilst they consolidated their strength and formulated a plan to return Phillip Ross to Rubi-Ka where he would be near untouchable to the hard-line faction. It was during the freeing of Ross that he sent his message "Rest assured, citizens and employees, I will return!" which was followed by the sounds of a struggle and static.

November 26th 29478 Ross’s shuttle crashes outside of Old Athens, he emerges at the head of a legion of Omni Prime soldiers, presumably loyal to his faction. It is possible that the shuttle was not shot down by Alien fighters but by Omni-Tek on orders or working for the hardliners. Their disguise as ICC personnel will have thrown off any of his pursuers searching for him, giving him a few days reprieve to plan what to do now he had returned. No doubt his pursuers would have been checking the identities of the corpses at the crash site to see whether he was amongst them.

Having not found his body amongst the dead the Hardliner faction would have likely grown desperate and worried by their complete loss of Phillip Ross. It was here that they decided that he must be assassinated at any cost and in their desperation they hired a group of shades.

Days later on his way to Omni-1 it is reported by OTPC that he was being stalked by assassins. The shades attempted to assassinate Phillip Ross, but were defeated by his entourage, before meeting with an adviser from his allies on the Board. This is likely to have been Korbensen.

In the following weeks the hardliner faction takes time to reassess and plan their next strike. On January 8th 29479 the hard-line faction made their next move, under the cover of the Alien invasion they put through special requisition orders to increase the resources of the Unicorn Company and Omni Prime security on Rubi-Ka, strengthening their forces ready for the next phase. “Rumours start to circulate about the escalation of Unicorn Company activity on Rubi-Ka.”

Amid the fighting of the Aliens they also increase the numbers of the Unicorn Company on Rubi Ka, and begin building bases within the Outzones partially to combat the Aliens, but more likely to provide a private staging area for their own plans. To secure these private bases various employee’s have to be permanently removed so that questions are not asked and to blind Ross as to what is going on inside these bases. Also to cover their preparations the Unicorn’s use Kry’Ozch technology to taunt them into attacking various bases within the Outzones to add weight to the pretense that they are doing nothing more than they say they are. This is further bolstered on the Febuary 9th when they open up one staging area to freelancers to come fight the aliens.

During these months it is likely that Phillip Ross would have been consolidating his own position on Rubi-Ka and would have been busy with overseeing the defense of the planet. It is likely that during this time, he formed the Omni-Pol 6th Directive out of those employees’s he knew to be totally loyal to himself.

Finally on May 7th the Hardliners succeed and one of their agents, from the security detail for the speech shot Phillip Ross. This is the only logical reason as to why the initial investigation made little headway.
    Following the shooting the Ross aligned faction under Korbensen use official means to pursue an investigation into who shot the CEO in hope of uncovering the conspiracy, but after little progress they are forced to give in and allow Unicorn agents to join in. The Unicorn agents then are able to more easily cover up any trails leading back to them, the hard-line faction.

As the months roll by with Ross still alive but in a coma, the Hardliners in the Board of Directors on Omni Prime make their final move and push for their man, Tarkhan Zora to be appointed the new CEO of Omni-Tek on Rubi-Ka.

If anything this raises further questions. Questions that cannot be answered, such as;
    • What is this hardliner faction actually planning next?
    • Is Tarkhan Zora just a puppet on the throne, with the strings being pulled by his masters on Omni Prime or is he in control?
    • What is going on in the other Unicorn bases in the Outzones?
    • Are the Unicorns themselves excavating Xan sites much like the Dust Brigade are reported to be doing in places such as the Neverata Canyons?
    • How much do the Unicorns really know about the Kyr’Ozch menace?
    • Who actually pulled the trigger on Ross the Unicorns, a hired mercenary or a traitor within his own ranks?

Historical news reports.
    OTPC: Aliens Invade: Ross Speaks
    IRRK: Rubi-ka under siege: News from the front
    IRRK: Rubi-ka under siege: News from the front #2
    OTPC: Ross' Triumphant Return, Promition of Unity
    OTPC: Official requisition of resource
    IRRK: Escalation of Unicorn presence on Rubi-Ka?
    IRRK: Former Omni-Tek Employees Missing
    FJRK: Outzone Conspiracy?
    OTPC: Omni-Tek Public Notice - Security Instruction
    OTPC: Breaking News - Philip Ross shot!
    OTPC: Omni-Med Update - June 2
    OTPC: Omni-Tek Press Release: Acting CEO assigned

Other sources include the historical annals of Rubi-Ka.

I would be extremely careful with what you say...
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    I would be extremely careful with what you say...
    Nah, I think you should really speak your mind.

In any case, it would not look terribly good for Omni-Tek to cannibalize the employees who ask about the elephant in the room. The true free press in Tir and Athen will protect your freedom of speech.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

The strings on your little puppets are showing.
    Point Blank

What is the saying? "Good redeems its own, and Evil consumes itself?"

Something like that.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

...I've got my own theorrriesss on thisss whole messs, but they don't ssseem to fit. I know Biomarre fitsss into therre sssomewherrre...and I know Rrross wass infected with sssomething. But what? Why doess any of that even matterrr? I have no idea, but I disstinctly rrrecall it happening back then.

Therre wass jusst ssso much going on at the time. It'ss tough to sssorrt out the factss, and put them all into a meaningful orrderr....and thiss hass been the besst attempt I've sseen yet at that.

Ballssy...but thankss forr doing it, Misss Delvin.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

The case is still unsolved, so instead of making useless and unnecessary threats every investigator who is worth his salt should look into every lead that presents itself even if it may be far out.

After so many attempts to push Ross in checkmate, the shooting occured.

Another failure.

Phillip Ross was laying wounded under the care of Omni-Med personnel when a mysterious "virus" pushed him in a coma.

In her statement, Rita Prestin said:

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: OTPC View Post
    What we first thought to be a minor infection has turned out to be several thousands nano-particles that are spreading from the infection in the wound… Much like a virus…
    and then added

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: OTPC View Post
    I wish I could explain in more detail, but we are still waiting on the completion of the lab tests. These tests should hopefully tell us more about what this… virus is doing to Mr. Ross, and what course of action we should take.
    As my esteemed colleague on Rimor pointed out, Biomare is still in operation, by the way, just rogue and not part of the Corporation... That is, of course, the official stance on the matter.

Ms. Prestin, we are still waiting. If the results of these tests would prove inconclusive, even more su****ious if the results "vanished" or got "lost in the bureaucracy", not only will you prove incompetence (if Omni-Med can't even keep track of key tests for such an important Omni individual, what about the average person?), but you will also plant one more seed of doubt in your good citizens.

Ms. Pourais, I hope you have ample personnel. If Omni-Tek is like a happy family, how would you call a fratricide? That could bring an influx of citizens whose faith in the Corporation starts faltering.

This whole thing has always smelled bad, but as it has rotten over time, it now stinks like... a Biomare failed experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lylith View Post
    The case is still unsolved, so instead of making useless and unnecessary threats every investigator who is worth his salt should look into every lead that presents itself even if it may be far out.
    The actual fact... Omni-Pol should be extremely interested in any evidence that there is an internal group that tried to (and did) bump Ross out of the way. The way I see it, Omni-Pol's duty is to investigate these leads - they should be defending Omni from enemies foreign and domestic, so to speak.

If Omni-Pol decides that any investigation into the attack on Ross should be shut down... then perhaps Omni-Pol is a part of it.

I, for one, would like to know if there was some foul play (that we don't already know about) with Henri Radiman.

Quote Originally Posted by Razishlyat View Post
    The actual fact... Omni-Pol should be extremely interested in any evidence that there is an internal group that tried to (and did) bump Ross out of the way. The way I see it, Omni-Pol's duty is to investigate these leads - they should be defending Omni from enemies foreign and domestic, so to speak.

If Omni-Pol decides that any investigation into the attack on Ross should be shut down... then perhaps Omni-Pol is a part of it.

I, for one, would like to know if there was some foul play (that we don't already know about) with Henri Radiman.
    Omni-Pol was not leading the investigation, Omni-InternOps were; as this was felt to be more appropiate. I myself was working on the case, but then had to hand all my evidence i collected to InternOps and let them continue.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    Omni-Pol was not leading the investigation, Omni-InternOps were; as this was felt to be more appropiate. I myself was working on the case, but then had to hand all my evidence i collected to InternOps and let them continue.
    I realize you have the bureaucratic policies written in stone. My point was that for such an important and public figure, the truth should be something you don't stop following at the paper trail. An inter-department panel would perhaps suffice.

Hmmph! Its these sort of articles filled with hearsay and rumour that do nothing but spread misinformation and discord amongst employees!

Needless to say almost everything written here is unfounded and untrue.

Philip Ross was, no one can deny, a great leader and a good man. I may not agree with his philosophy or some of his actions but he managed to keep things going on this planet for years.

The corporation lost a good employee when he was shot and many miss him, however I was brought in not because of some conspiracy against the man, but because I am a good commander and have worked with the Unicorns extensively.

Due to the invasion by these hostile aliens and the unrest caused by the tragic event Unicorn presence was felt necessary as was a more aggressive stance. Over the years this has clearly shown results, as we have not only managed to stave off the hostiles but also take the fight to them while also dealing with terrorist groups and aggressive factions.

As for the Omni-Med comments, since Ross was taken off world all information and results will have gone with him and it is up to his next of kin whether or not they want the results published.

There is no conspiracy and no ulterior motives, all this article does is cause unnecessary strife and tarnishes memories of a great man!

I have a prepared statement.

*clears throat*

I would like to state for the record that the Pathfinders are NOT, officially or unofficially, looking into this case. We have full confidence in the Investigative Arm of Omni, and have not offered assistance to Intern-Ops or Omni-Pol. This is outside the boundries of our contract and responsibilties, and without a direct order from the CEO, will not involve ourselves in the matter. On that note, I would like to state that the dealings and doings of the Omni Hierarchy is of no business, nor concern to the Pathfinders.

*wipes sweat*

Thank you, and I will not take questions.
    Last edited by Gunfytr; May 29th, 2010 at 06:27:12.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Greetings, Mr. Zora.

All I hear is excuses to justify your appointment. Were you such a good leader, you would need no justification, acts and results would speak for themselves. At the moment, they speak of failure.

ICC is gearing up its troops on Rubi-Ka before anywhere else in the galaxy. There is no need to be psychic here, we have seen it before, and we remember what followed. Do you?

One would think that, by now, the Corporation would have learned from the repeated mistakes of the past. Omni-Tek already got their lease drastically cut down to 50 years, lost part of its monopoly to the benefit of Sol Banking, who are waiting on the sidelines, right next to Big Burger Inc., both waiting patiently until the Corporation makes its next mistake.

You took the first step on that path with the very first public speech you gave, declaring both Clans and Neutrals enemies of the Corporation. Since then, nothing came to contradict this, but you kept a rather low profile.

Whether you are forced to hold that line or do so by personal conviction or sheer opportunism, the end result is the same for people who are not your employees. Ultimately, this boils down to "work for us or die".

If this is indeed the case, then I will paraphrase one of my fellow Clanners: Take your iron fist and shove it up your buns of steel.

If this is not the case, however, remember what happened to Phillip Ross. He came closer to peace with the Clans than anyone before him. And ever since.

I believe you have, as we say, painted yourself in the corner: you cannot take back what you said and enforced without looking "weak", and you cannot go further without launching a full scale war, which would threaten civilians and risk bringing the ICC down on the Corporation again.

A great leader? Rather an expendable scapegoat. If you want to save face and possibly your life, bring what you know out in the open about Ross' shooting. You may still die, but you will at least have a chance to bring down those who pushed you from d4 to d5 for the sacrifice. They don't like to go down alone either.

Sleep tight, sir, if you can, because I believe you will be on your own, should you push the wrong button.

Regards,

Cherelle P. Clay,
    wearing no official hat for this.
    Last edited by Xeenah; May 29th, 2010 at 06:37:40.

*growls...* ...Rrrosss wasss infected with a virrrusss frrrom that damned BIOMARRRE lab, jussst like I thought. Jussst. Like. I. Thought.

I...grrh....damnit!! Jussst thinking about it jussst....GRRRH! ...*deep breath* ....WHY isss everrrything frrrom five yearrsss ago sssuch a myssterry? Firrssst Bev, now thisss...and it'sss all coming back at the sssame time.

....DAMNIT!!

....calm down Ken, calm down...*deep breath*

Sssorrry.

I hate that damned place...

*grumbles in the background* ...think you can jussst wassh yourr handsss of the whole place, the whole thing, jussst like *that*...and rrreal people sssufferrred. What about Drrrumdarrr?? What about Blissss!? What about me??!! *growls, turning the comm off angrily!*
    Last edited by Nulion; May 29th, 2010 at 08:11:08.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkhan Zora View Post
    --SNIP--
    Translation: We can not confirm nor deny.

You better hope to high hell that Miss Delvin stays very health and visible to the public, Zora. Cause if she disappears it's gonna look realy bad on you. How fast can you call off your dogs I wonder?
    Point Blank

Criminals will be held accountable as long as there are people willing to investigate, either at the barrel of a gun or in the texts of history.

Sounds more like a witchhunt, than an actually form of justice to me. Lets not forget we're past the Dark Ages, folks.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Witchhunt... Probably. If there's indeed a power struggle in the high levels of OT, I'm afraid there will be so many cover-ups that we'll never get to the ones issuing the original kill orders.

But hey, I don't have anything against seeing 'em biker among themselves... Wait, isn't it the line they use to talk about Clans? *winks*

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenah View Post
    Witchhunt... Probably. If there's indeed a power struggle in the high levels of OT, I'm afraid there will be so many cover-ups that we'll never get to the ones issuing the original kill orders.

But hey, I don't have anything against seeing 'em biker among themselves... Wait, isn't it the line they use to talk about Clans? *winks*
    Oh, it is my firm opinion that there MUST be that sort of thing going on. You get enough ultra powered egos in one room.. and whats the expression? "If you ain't rubbin' you ain't racin'?" Even on smaller scales this happens, so no doubt a larger version stands to reason. Honestly, I think they like it that way. You can hide just about anything under the ruse of internal politics.

Irony has a sense of humour, doesn't it?
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast