Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Questions? Ask!

Do you have any idea the can you worms you've opened here? Muhahahahahahahaha!!!! Hang on let me get my Spock ears on and start asking you questions like what was Ross' safe combination in the animated story.

Well right now my main question is how much leeway are we allowed with inconsequential things with the storyline and lore?
    I sent you a pm awhile back, well I've sent you a few pm's a while back I know you're busier then a cumber in a woman's prison.
    How much can we write about the history of Rubi-ka without getting into trouble? For example I'm currently working on some Newland stuff, but I notice there's really no history about Newland city. When it was built, by who, why, ect... I'm wondering if we as players are allowed to fill in blanks without getting into to much trouble.
    And what about things from the timeline that seemed to just die out. Like the disappearing ship, that reappears with the crew missing.
    Or like what is the propulsion used to space travel? I know it has to be faster then the lightspeed other wise the first shipments of notum would just be arriving to earth. Granted a lot of these things aren't big deals but they do come up. And for players trying to make more enriched back stories it can be a hassle.
    I can even take myself for example. I've had Foos traveling the galaxy before he came to Rubi-ka, on an independent trading ship. Now a lot of the stuff I had to make up as I went along, but after awhile it becomes concert to his backstory. Now recently some LTCs came into game with a storyline of them being independent traders, and fortunately there was really no conflict between them and my character; however, what if there was. With no standards for both players or events, what would happen in such a case? Would four years of RP work get flushed cause a blue name comes along and disagrees.

Okay before I start to ramble more. There are a lot of little things missing with his the history of AO. Now keep in mind I don't really see filling in all these little holes being Events or FCs main job. FC should be working on the game and the overall story, and events should be busy promoting the storyline and RP. I think things like this should come down to the players, as their contributions to the game.
    So again how much are we allowed to add, and how would we make it stick?

Honestly with the amount of players that care about the game, AO should have a far more rich history then it does.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

In regards to missions be set, at the OAM specifically, we try to come up with things to set you lot on and Im sure we could give you something every month, the issue comes to the reward.

When you do something it goes without saying you'd like to see something come out of your work, for example we could get you running all over the place scouting things and getting lots of data, the issue then comes to what can we do once your done?

If you gather data on equipment we can't go around and replace equipment depending on your findings, best we'd be able to do is poke Kintaii and wait and see if anything ever happens.

Or if you scout out locations that need corporate movement to, we dont have the ability to station npc's there nor do we have the manpower to run actors around the place.

As such were stuck working up things for you to do that isn't to trivial but something that we can respond to, to make it look like your time was well spent and with all things said and done there is very little of these we can really do.

That said I have nothing against trying stuff and pestering kintaii for more freedom with certain things, but there is a limit.

All this is also effected by who we have attending and playing along, some might be happy to run around all the omni-tek mines gathering data on mining personel each month without getting something major out of it, others would plain refuse to do something so menial without clear incentive and reward.

I'd be happy to hear suggestions as to things that you lot wouldn't mind doing and reasonable rewards you'd do stuff for just remember we tend to be limited more then you might think.

@Pheats:

Are you allowed to reward players with Items?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Credits?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Experience points?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Victory Points?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Tokens?
    Are you allowed to reward players with titles?
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    @Pheats:

Are you allowed to reward players with Items?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Credits?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Experience points?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Victory Points?
    Are you allowed to reward players with Tokens?
    Are you allowed to reward players with titles?
    Yes some.
    Yes some. (not a great amount)
    No.
    No.
    Yes.
    No.

I got a question, what's the fonts used on the exit signs in the grid, and what's the font on the new daily mission signs?
    If someone could answer that really quick that would so rock!
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Quote Originally Posted by Pheats View Post
    Yes some.
    Yes some. (not a great amount)
    No.
    No.
    Yes.
    No.
    Kintaii, I think you need to work on changing these No's to Yes's and a lot of problems may work themselves out.

Also, Allow Event ARKs to issue Daily Mission rewards for Participation in Monthly meetings

In regards to missions be set, at the OAM specifically, we try to come up with things to set you lot on and Im sure we could give you something every month, the issue comes to the reward.
    I cannot talk for any organisation but my own -- but to be involved in anything/something and then to be acknowledged by it is why we bother. We enjoy roleplaying, being social.. doing things together. It is never going to be down to how many credits / tokens / shinies you can give us, it is the taking part and making things fun.

As an example, if the training sessions we have now been promised by two LTCs had happened, we would have awarded medals internally in our organisation and put it in peoples files.

We can go and team together and get our hands on whatever loot we want with a bit of effort ... to take part in a good RP that entertains us seems harder to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    I got a question, what's the fonts used on the exit signs in the grid, and what's the font on the new daily mission signs?
    If someone could answer that really quick that would so rock!
    Neuropolitical?

The items reward could be increased i reckon.
    I remeber when you guys did the Dungeons and Dragons IC IC game in Versailles tower just after the knights left. Shame i had to quickly change from a sword to an assault rifle, as soon as we got pwned. Anyway if you remeber you gave us ql 400 pearls as a reward for killing the final dragon. That was a great reward, i managed to sell mine for 1billion credits, a reward which hugely helped me.

More suitable items like that for events and XP for actively participating in monthly meetings would be good.
    For example a while ago when that cargo ship crashed outside Newland and people helped defend it from Aliens, what if the crew said thanks by giving out an item.

This one is aimed more at Kintaii, i know your busy but rp reward only items that are wearable? maybe to show greater affiliation? Eg, the ICC shoulderpad mesh, with NLCC or Omni-Pol or Vanguards written on it could be an idea, which can only be attained by being an rper.

I agree however with Ukblizzard recognition that you have done something as an organisation would be great. For example in Tir there is a stone and plaque commemorating the work of some old guilds in cleaning up the Tir waterways or some such. And if you were to do as Ukblizzard suggests where players are researching the development of items IC'ly dropping hints into the item descriptions would be reward enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukblizzard View Post
    I cannot talk for any organisation but my own -- but to be involved in anything/something and then to be acknowledged by it is why we bother. We enjoy roleplaying, being social.. doing things together. It is never going to be down to how many credits / tokens / shinies you can give us, it is the taking part and making things fun.

As an example, if the training sessions we have now been promised by two LTCs had happened, we would have awarded medals internally in our organisation and put it in peoples files.

We can go and team together and get our hands on whatever loot we want with a bit of effort ... to take part in a good RP that entertains us seems harder to come by.
    Issue is, how do we acknowledge your work in a reasonable way? A simple "Good work" comment clearly isn't enough but at the same time we can't have things change in a major way because of them, simply because we are not able to do it.

As for those training sessions, they are still intended, just waiting on "someone" to do something...

Issue is, how do we acknowledge your work in a reasonable way? A simple "Good work" comment clearly isn't enough but at the same time we can't have things change in a major way because of them, simply because we are not able to do it.

As for those training sessions, they are still intended, just waiting on "someone" to do something...
    In game plaques and things are fantastic for ego stroking, but that's not practical. We as players need to attempt to find solutions which avoid a lot of programming time.

Most Roleplayers play the game as well and would appropriate the aforementioned rewards in exchange for their time committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukblizzard View Post
    Neuropolitical?
    Thanks!

On the topic of RL rewards, the social tab opens a ton of doors. I mean take a look at the collector back armor, and how popular it is.

Do a favor for a legacy, And they hand over some fancy shirt, cloak, or stat less tank armor. Rewards, and advertising all in one.
    Point Blank

All factions now have access to little 'ID' chips. What was the original intent of those, and where do we stand with regard to in-game actual uses for them?

Regarding rewards in the form of 'social' tab items - I think if that was done right it would be an outstanding way to promote interest and awareness in RP however, we need to be careful as you could get an in-rush of people who have little or no interest in RP but simply want to have every possible item in-game, and especially everything they can show off, however it is obtained. This can best be avoided by not rewarding such items on an 'Event' basis, but more on some RP char attending a series of events over some notable stretch of time.

Good point Dag
    Point Blank

Well for Omni-Pol as an example I can easily work with .. we thrive on information. A piece of information to add to our case files to help us solve something is something viable. Guess this is where the creativity comes in and figuring out how to work on the parameters already available. I can see a lot of ways where ARK Events could be working with me and my organisation -- perhaps I should just be telling you directly how instead of waiting for you to see if you can guess on your own. At least if we gave you ideas, you could find the ones that would work and move forwards.

Anyway, consider a story line, imagine that you have 3 or 4 main organisations doing the work on it. Give the storyline parameters throughout its phases and then when someone completes something give them information to move on with it from their Director or whatever. Say you have an OP, Trans and Mining organisation involved -- each organisation would receive information only pertinent to their area of expertise. They would then choose whether they were sharing it to move on together with something or going it alone. Obviously all the information together would get them there faster...

Regarding the training, I would guess that the one with Bahirae wont happen -- which is a huge pity seeing as we were shown the rooms it would have been completed in and sounded really good. Though that whole storyline hooked me completely and was probably the last one I was so strongly involved in.

With the chips.. I know when we were on patrol and a LTC came along we were often asked for ID or something to show. Would be quite cool if you could personalise the chip with your name and organisation data! (but thats coding things *bats eyelashes at Kintaii*)

Erk.. Ok currently the CoT has no formal military/militia, working on the basis that should it come down to fighting those attending the council are capable of defending themselves and others relying on the military clans for protection.

If it becomes apparent that a separate combat force is needed we can look into it, but for now the CoT will remain a political rather than military entity.
    I think that now would be a good time to bring to your attention that the Pathfinders could be available to provide security services to ARK sponsored events. Reasonable pricing based on need, and I may be able to work out a discount with the possibility of repeat business in mind. Feel free to check out our site @ Blowndafukup./com. References available.

*Pathfinders: When you absolutely have to have something blown up overnight.*
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Alright, I'm guilty. I miss the old AO RP days, tons of exciting things every few weeks, dozens of roleplayers at every single event, sometimes crashing a zone. You can't really blame me for wanting that again.

Maybe in time we can rebuild and show those who stopped roleplaying (because they thought the scene was dead in AO) that it's still alive.

Time to live in the present.

Ok, as for hinting and having to hunt down clues, that may sound reasonable IF there was a LARGE RP Community to do that, then the percentage of someone finding an important hint/clue or piece of info for an upcoming event would be good.

However, we are small now. I think a more clear cut way to let us know about stories and events is needed at this time.

For example in March 27 during a CoT Meeting a Legacy character gave specific and clear info about an event for the 29th of the same month. Those who attended the meeting (myself included) informed members of their orgs (and other roleplayers) who would be interested in participating and that made the event a success with the appearance of one of the largest group of players I've seen in years.

If we face the fact that the Events Team is small and that the RP Community is also small at this time, then using hints and vague clues will only slow and not increase or encourage activity.

We want to draw MORE people to try and enjoy roleplaying and related events.

In the past (forgive me for bringing it up, it's just an example) if ONE Roleplayer knew something was going to happen, word would spread like wildfire, we would get tells and offline tells from other roleplayers we didn't even know personally to share the info. Unfortunately we don't have that sort of closeness as we did before, nor the numbers.

At best, rarely I get a tell from another player, regarding a player-run RP event, pretty much an invite.

Would you please consider having a more direct approach and maybe later on when we have a bit more people interested in RP to be more subtle?
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Kintaii, I think you need to work on changing these No's to Yes's and a lot of problems may work themselves out.

Also, Allow Event ARKs to issue Daily Mission rewards for Participation in Monthly meetings
    As much as I dislike agreeing with him.... I have to somewhat agree with him.

Every aspect of AO is rewarded, PvM, PvP, Raiding and in the past RP was rewarded with special social items, like the CoT card to enter the Tower of Truth.

I'm not saying "make new social items for roleplayers", but there are a lot of rare social items in the database, some NODROP which I'm sure some would be very happy to receive and wear.

Also the reward should match the event, if clan and omni players are set against each other, at the end of the event VP should be considered as a reward since PvP was involved.

I'm not sure how XP/SK rewards would work since in theory a lvl 10 and a lvl 220 could show up at the same event and giving out different amounts of experience would add to the workload of the ARK running the event.

Titles... I've used /name first to set my RP title. If the meaning to titles to have some sort of RP hierarchy or ranking, I would have to disagree.

Items, maybe some Credits, VP, Tokens would be nice rewards for participating players.

Experience points and titles? Nah.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast