Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roleplaying Professionals

Roleplaying Professionals

I've been holding onto this for quite a while and given this new forum I think I now have a reason to post it. Parts taken from other posts by Cz and Kintaii. Feedback is welcome.

Purpose:
    The Roleplaying Professionals exists to:
    • Inform FunCom and ARK Events Team of the players wishes and feedback on past, present and future events.
    • Make sure concerns are well documented and communicated clearly and concisely.
    • Maintain threads specific to their roles. This includes updating ‘Next Meeting’ threads.

Purpose – Justification:
    • Many players will cite lack of communication as being the biggest gripe with interacting with non-Player elements of roleplaying. This is likely because of the large number of inbound communication verses the limited number of Events ARKs to handle and process these requests. By designating specific players to serve as a buffer this may do two things:
      • Lower the number of Inbound Communication by resolving issues that do not require ARK early
      • Create higher quality inbound requests by gathering additional information before forwarding requests to ARK.
    • This by no means implies that players will be unable to contact ARK directly. The Purpose is to create an additional, optional tool in-between Players and ARKs to both assist the Events Team and the Player Community.

Composition:
    The Roleplaying Professionals program consists of:
    • The FunCom/ARK Events team.
    • 6 3 representatives of the players, one of each faction from each server, later to expand to two should FunCom/ARK Events deem it necessary.

The player representatives are appointed by Funcom based on applications, requirements for the position, support in the community and evaluation by Funcom.

A potential Roleplaying Professional must:
    • Have been a member of the Roleplaying Community for at least six months.
    • Have a character of at least level 150 (title level 5) level 50 (title level 3) in the faction they wish to represent.
    • Be in fair standing with FunCom both in-game and on the bulletin board.

Activity:
    The Roleplaying Professionals will create and update two separate lists for their faction
    1. Outstanding Concerns for their faction
    2. Suggestions for future consideration

How these lists are made, their layout, and how often they are updated is entirely up to the Roleplaying Professionals, but one should remember that the players will most likely expect both to be up-to-date and include a prioritization of the bugs and concerns / wishes. Other initiatives than making these lists are also entirely up to the Professionals.
    The FunCom and ARK Events team will meet with the Roleplaying Professionals of each server to discuss the top concerns / wishes of their community.

To manage discussions and keep their Buzz forum in a constructive tone the Roleplaying Professionals are allowed – but not required – to use some moderator abilities.
    • Opening and closing threads.
    • Sticking (rooting) and un-sticking threads - May not be needed with the new Fourth Wall forum.

Visibility:
    The Roleplaying Professionals need to be visible to the people they represent. To ensure this each Professional will have "[Faction] Professional" included in their bulletin board title, and a list of all Professionals will be maintained (rooted) in the Community Corner forum.

Recruitment:
    The final choice is made by FunCom, but players are encouraged to show their support for eligible candidates through a poll. The process is as follows:
    1. The open position is announced on the Community Corner and the appropriate Buzz forum, and people are given 7 days to apply for the position.
    2. FunCom and ARK Events looks through the applications and makes a list of those who meet the requirements given above. The list is posted in the appropriate Buzz forum, in a thread open for discussion. The candidates are asked to present themselves (max 100 words) in the thread.
    3. A poll is posted three days after the list, and is open for seven days. This poll is to see whether each candidate has support, and is only a guide for FunCom in choosing a new Roleplaying Professionals.
    4. Based on internal evaluation and show of support from the poll FunCom decides on the most suitable candidate and contacts the candidate. In the unlikely case that an agreement can't be made, the next on the list will be contacted.
    5. The new Professional is appointed and announced.

Longevity:
    Every three months we will hold a vote within the individual Profession forums where the players may choose to vote one (or both) of their Professionals out of the position. Should a Professional be given a "vote of no confidence" by the player base, they will be replaced with the next-highest runner-up from the previous election (IE: whomever came in third place in the last election).

Every nine months, the process will restart with a new round of nominations and voting - All current Professionals still in good standing (and who wish to have a chance to continue with the program) will automatically be placed into the voting roster with the rest of the nominees.
    Last edited by Trousers; Jun 4th, 2013 at 11:58:32.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Looks great! This would give RPers the kind of influence to their area of the game as the professionals do for the game mechanics. Perhaps give it a different name though, like Neutral Representative instead of Neutral Professional, since, well, neutral isn't really a profession.

(Also, you missed your closing tag on the list under Recruitment)

Fixed the list; Thanks for pointing that out.

I kicked around the idea of using a different name, but I settled on Professional for the proposal to maintain consistency across the board. I wouldn't be opposed to a different name, but in the end it's not my decision to make

Ooooh, I'd be interested in seeing who would actually run for that. Btw, thanks for this Fourth Wall. I think this was a great idea!
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

This is a damn fine idea if I do say so myself! Reeeally liking it!

And this entire forum? Fourth Wall? I love it! Feels like RP'ers finally have some room to stretch out and do...stuff
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Aye, im in love with RP as an art form. Here is the chance I can get into the technicalities of it with other roleplayers.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I don't know how many remeber it, but Gorgefodder was a pretty good rp'er. He was around for several years, but i don't think he ever got over level 10. There is many good roleplayers that is far from 150. The abillity for rp has nothing to do with your level so i really don't see how that has anything to do with the job
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Agreed with Gimpeline here. I love the idea, and think it would be extremely beneficial. However, i do not agree with the TL5 requirement. Some people are extremely good rp-ers but don't level; such as my leveling for example (or lack of).

Maybe 100 would be fairer, as this is fairly easy to achieve?
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Another consern is what you said about modrights.
    We all have our own way.
    I am strictly in carracter when I roleplay. That means any ooc is ignored.
    If I did my duty from the way i rolepley it would mean that i would delete most of your post since i cant remember ever seen any post from you in carracter.
    I'm not saying that I would if I find the post good, but others might if they are strictly in carracter
    I am sure you would not like that.
    Last edited by Gimpeline; May 26th, 2010 at 23:22:42.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Omni-Mining

Mod rights is a whole kettle of fish, and professional moderators don't delete things. Don't get too far ahead of yourself there.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

No where in my post did I discuss deleting posts - all 'modrights' come directly from the Professional Program. If you have concerns with the power a Professional has you're more then welcome to PM Kintaii about that.

As for level: The requirement was taken directly from the Professional Program. While Level is not directly related to RP Experience it is a good gauge of commitment. The Min Level to attend the OAM is 50, so for the purpose of this proposal I'll bring that down.

My last post wasen't well written. (blame lack of sleep)
    What I meant is that when it comes to rp and peoples way of rp. People can be pretty protective.
    "Say all you want about me, but dont criticize the way I roleplay"
    I was conserned about modpowers and what a proff could do. Good to know that they wont be able to delete or change peoples posts
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Omni-Mining

Funcom employee

Before this gets too far I feel like I should say now that the odds are fairly against anything like this happening. Before anyone says much, though, let me explain the reasonings as to why.

When I started up the new Professionals program it was actually my intention to fill a few roles as "Roleplaying Professionals" - Initially I was scouting for one representative from each dimension who I felt could accurately represent all factions and do so in a fair, even manner. However, as time went on and the Professionals program got into fuller swing, I realized very quickly that my workload was starting to increase beyond what I was capable of - Trying to add any additional people into that mix would have toppled what I was able to handle.

As time went on, I came to realize that while the idea of having a group of "RP Professionals" is a good idea... I actually already had access to one. The ARK-Events team are my roleplaying professionals - A group of individuals entrenched both in the administrative functions of roleplaying from a professional standpoint, but also people who spend their spare time roleplaying outside of ARK with regular players in normal, regular orgs. The Events team is devoted and dedicated to the roleplaying environment of Anarchy Online, both from a top-level standpoint and 'in the trenches', and are as knowledgeable and hard working as any group I've ever come to meet.

So no - I doubt that a "roleplaying professionals" group will ever come to bear on our end because, as I said before, the amount of work involved would be monumental (and not something I'm comfortable saying I can add to my already-crowded plate at the moment), and would be a bit redundant given the prowess, knowledge and work ethic of the ARK Events team. If any of you guys are interested in helping out and taking a more active part in the storyline of AO, though, you're more than welcome to apply to the Advisors of Rubi-Ka and look into the Events department - It's a great organization filled with awesome, knowledgeable people that love the storyline and roleplaying scene of Anarchy Online. Even if you don't want to go quite that far, there's still plenty that can be done otherwise - Posting here, promoting the Editor News/4th Wall/Buzz forums, and even just getting in-game and roleplaying. We're all in this together, after all, and the more the merrier. =D

Anyhoo, hopefully that answers any questions regarding the topic. Take care. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

While an RP Proff did sound like a good idea, Im sure that there will be enuff ppl on here with ideas and suggestions.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Just want to point out that beyond the moderation part, anything else should technically be doable by everyone with this forum, you dont need special rights to access this but anything posted here will be brought to the attention to those that its needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Before this gets too far I feel like I should say now that the odds are fairly against anything like this happening. Before anyone says much, though, let me explain the reasonings as to why.

When I started up the new Professionals program it was actually my intention to fill a few roles as "Roleplaying Professionals" - Initially I was scouting for one representative from each dimension who I felt could accurately represent all factions and do so in a fair, even manner. However, as time went on and the Professionals program got into fuller swing, I realized very quickly that my workload was starting to increase beyond what I was capable of - Trying to add any additional people into that mix would have toppled what I was able to handle.

As time went on, I came to realize that while the idea of having a group of "RP Professionals" is a good idea... I actually already had access to one. The ARK-Events team are my roleplaying professionals - A group of individuals entrenched both in the administrative functions of roleplaying from a professional standpoint, but also people who spend their spare time roleplaying outside of ARK with regular players in normal, regular orgs. The Events team is devoted and dedicated to the roleplaying environment of Anarchy Online, both from a top-level standpoint and 'in the trenches', and are as knowledgeable and hard working as any group I've ever come to meet.

So no - I doubt that a "roleplaying professionals" group will ever come to bear on our end because, as I said before, the amount of work involved would be monumental (and not something I'm comfortable saying I can add to my already-crowded plate at the moment), and would be a bit redundant given the prowess, knowledge and work ethic of the ARK Events team. If any of you guys are interested in helping out and taking a more active part in the storyline of AO, though, you're more than welcome to apply to the Advisors of Rubi-Ka and look into the Events department - It's a great organization filled with awesome, knowledgeable people that love the storyline and roleplaying scene of Anarchy Online. Even if you don't want to go quite that far, there's still plenty that can be done otherwise - Posting here, promoting the Editor News/4th Wall/Buzz forums, and even just getting in-game and roleplaying. We're all in this together, after all, and the more the merrier. =D

Anyhoo, hopefully that answers any questions regarding the topic. Take care. =)
    And the perspective from the playerbase is that ARK is too far disconnected from the players and often out of touch - underscoring a need for such a position.

I suppose the problems will simply continue and go unresolved. pitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    And the perspective from the playerbase is that ARK is too far disconnected from the players and often out of touch - underscoring a need for such a position.

I suppose the problems will simply continue and go unresolved. pitty.
    Maybe, maybe not... On my end, I prefer to give it some time, faith and constructive support I believe it's starting to take shape.

Ya know Sotto, while I do want RP Professionals and think the idea is a good one, Kintaii does have a point.

I won't ever name names, but I've been kinda....stunned....at how pervasive ARK actually is within the people in the game. I don't know nearly all of them, I don't *want* to know any of them or who they are, but some of the things I've found out through the years have definitely made me do a double take and go "wha wha? o.O"

Soo...yes, the walls have ears, so to speak

So while maybe there won't be a RP Professionals program, at the very least we know these guys are listening, in one form or another. Maybe we don't know we're communicating, but we still are.

That's much better than nothing, although for the longest time I *did* feel that disconnect you mentioned. It's still there, but...I guess it's only a "false" disconnect? I dunno. I'm rambling, hehe.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Let's keep in mind here this idea came about before this forum section was put into place. So it might not be as needed now as before when communication channels really sucked.

It's my thinking this is a idea as it would help to being down some of the vail of secrecy that surrounds ARK. By letting some players to get to know the event staff a little more personally and allow them to relay intent and motives a little more clearly.

Like it or not, there are players that feel all of events hates them or are out to get them. There are players that feel the Events staffs looks as if the player base is here to entertain them. There are players that feel giving Events any kind of negative feedback over events or storylines go unheard cause we're just not as important as them. There are some players that are scared to show any disliking to the things Events does in fear of fallout and being not included in future events.

Now before anyone gets a bug up their butt, let me point out I'm not saying any of this is true for members of Events in anyway. I'm only saying some players feel that way, some do some of the time and others do all of the time.

Now before there are a number of "oh that's not true" post. Let me say a lot of these feelings come from curse of the internet. Also because the Event staff would fall under customer service a lot of times their hands are tied on saying what they really think.

I'll pick on Pheats for a moment cause I like him, what he thinks about me I have no clue, well I shutter to think what anyone on the events staff might think about me. Recently I made some comments about an alien attack. I sent him a pm after honestly concerned I might have pissed him off on what I said because of his replies. My intent was not to make anyone upset. But he and I don't know each other, and people will read things in the voice of their choosing. Now someone that knows him could have told me "oh you're totally reading what his said wrong" and vice versa.

It's in my view a program like this would help players and Events understand each other better. Granted if there was a player the whole events staff hated cause they were just a bonehead, that person might have to lie a bit. But maybe they would be able to tell them what they're doing wrong and why people are getting upset with them.

I think this is important because what we do are creative endeavors and sometimes it's good to know what people are thinking about you.

Hmm I could go on and cite more examples, but what's the point odds are everything I just said here is going to be blown off and dismissed. So I will just hit "Post Quick Reply" and go sit in the conner like the good little peon I should be.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast